Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

SoftNum posted:

Don't come it's a trap.

Heh. I live a block from the station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Holy loving poo poo.

But friend of mine said a good trick with Yelp is to look for 4.5 star reviews. That's like the highest threshold and the 0.5 is the magical filter to see if the food is really good because most average food is actually rated at 4 stars.

Bubba gump can never hit 4.5

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

I was using TA mindlessly for food until one day I was trying to think of ways I could vet their system-- and then I searched my own local area.

I no longer use TA for food advice.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Sorry I missed the DCA Goon meetup. I live nearby. I should plan to go hang out during our summer ground stops!

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Blinkman987 posted:

I was using TA mindlessly for food until one day I was trying to think of ways I could vet their system-- and then I searched my own local area.

I no longer use TA for food advice.

This. I want to be able to ignore every review posted by someone over 60. Typical reviews: "McDonald's is great, 5 stars"; "Chez Phillipe is terrible, the valet took 30 seconds to retrieve my Lexus and the waiter was a foreigner"

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Cacafuego posted:

For those that signed up and received a United bonus offer a couple months ago, the miles have started to post. I hit the first bonus level after spending (and flying) $500 worth of United flights and was surprised they deposited the 6,000 bonus miles into my MP account already. I thought I was going to have to wait until November to get them.

Do you recall how long it took them to deposit the miles? I hit the first 2 tiers of my bonus spend last week but nothing yet.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hi goons sorry quick travel question about USA customs and airports.

If my uncle is flying into PVG ---> SFO ---> LAX does that mean he has to clear immigration at SFO, grab bags and then transfer to domestic terminal

Or he can just transfer into LAX as usual?

And United is doing a business class promotion,

2.2k round trip per person, how good is united? Thanks alot. My uncle is a bit old so he wants to travel nice

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
iirc you have to clear customs at the first US airport you fly into

also United sucks in general but not quite to a soul-sucking degree (most of the time)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

caberham posted:

Hi goons sorry quick travel question about USA customs and airports.

If my uncle is flying into PVG ---> SFO ---> LAX does that mean he has to clear immigration at SFO, grab bags and then transfer to domestic terminal

Or he can just transfer into LAX as usual?

And United is doing a business class promotion,

2.2k round trip per person, how good is united? Thanks alot. My uncle is a bit old so he wants to travel nice

The US takes the stance that you're in the country once the plane lands so yes, you'd clear customs at SFO and recheck bags to your destination.

United is okay, for that price their business class is acceptable.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Thanks guys for the quick response.

My uncle is a bit old so I rather him stay in SFO for a few days and get rid of jet lag instead of switching airports and bags.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

caberham posted:

Thanks guys for the quick response.

My uncle is a bit old so I rather him stay in SFO for a few days and get rid of jet lag instead of switching airports and bags.
I dunno, seems like if your uncle is that old you probably don't want him hanging out, jet lagged, in SFO airport. Maybe get him a hotel?

kidding

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Is it a new thing to announce that the airplane bathrooms "won't work" until we reach 16,000ft? Someone asked why, they said when we pass 16k ft, the seat belt light goes off and you can use the bathroom. AA flight to DFW, 1st time I've heard that.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cacafuego posted:

Is it a new thing to announce that the airplane bathrooms "won't work" until we reach 16,000ft? Someone asked why, they said when we pass 16k ft, the seat belt light goes off and you can use the bathroom. AA flight to DFW, 1st time I've heard that.

They're making poo poo up because otherwise you'd just poo poo in it and let it smell up the galley and there's no way the flight attendants will sit still for that. The crews leave the goddamn seat belt light on so much now that people are in the habit of ignoring it, even during the times it really matters. Like the reverse lights on GM vehicles, a formerly useful indicator was overused into meaninglessness.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Midjack posted:

They're making poo poo up because otherwise you'd just poo poo in it and let it smell up the galley and there's no way the flight attendants will sit still for that. The crews leave the goddamn seat belt light on so much now that people are in the habit of ignoring it, even during the times it really matters. Like the reverse lights on GM vehicles, a formerly useful indicator was overused into meaninglessness.

This is just depressing.

If I splurged on a business class ticket and still got shafted like that would suck.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Glad I wasn't flying on Delta today.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
drat, I forgot that only flights on United metal count towards the current targeted promotion (with the 3 tiers of spending). That explains why the miles haven't shown up in my account. Something like 2/3 of my spend is on codeshare flights.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

I applied for Global Entry 10 days ago. It's still under 'Pending Review.' Any idea how long it typically takes to process an application?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Can I just say that if you, like me, have been lugging around a 15 year old beard/hair trimmer with a half-pound power brick, for the love of whatever travel deity you pray to, get a modern one. Charger the size and weight of a cell phone charger, trimmer itself half the size and weight.

Philips BT5205/16 if anyone cares.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Blinkman987 posted:

I applied for Global Entry 10 days ago. It's still under 'Pending Review.' Any idea how long it typically takes to process an application?

A couple days to a couple weeks. It's summer, you're still within a normal range.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I don't know if it was targeted, but I got an SPG promo email to earn 3,000 SPG points for 3/6/9 stays through 11/15. I'll probably have 15 just through September, so an easy extra 9,000 points.

I also status matched with United to premier gold (from AA plat) and will blow through the 12500 PQMs to get it. I thought it mentioned if I hit >18000 PQMs I would get premier platinum, but wasn't sure if that was only for people matching from exec plat. If not, I'll blow through the 18k miles to get it.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Cacafuego posted:

I don't know if it was targeted, but I got an SPG promo email to earn 3,000 SPG points for 3/6/9 stays through 11/15. I'll probably have 15 just through September, so an easy extra 9,000 points.

SPG sent out the promo to everyone but depends on your status the extra points. For example mine was 5k with a max of 15k points.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

December 30th is my soonest loving Global Entry appointment. gently caress this G Earth. Guess I'm stalking the page daily to try and snipe a cancellation.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

fyallm posted:

SPG sent out the promo to everyone but depends on your status the extra points. For example mine was 5k with a max of 15k points.

Not quite everyone. I got an error when inputting my SPG number. Annoying as I'm just one stay from Gold.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Cacafuego posted:

For those that signed up and received a United bonus offer a couple months ago, the miles have started to post. I hit the first bonus level after spending (and flying) $500 worth of United flights and was surprised they deposited the 6,000 bonus miles into my MP account already. I thought I was going to have to wait until November to get them.

I've gotten too used to being pampered with status on AA that I'm finding it difficult to book my flights on United because the only options my employer will pay for end up being in the last row of the plane in the middle seat. Still, I won't turn down 30,000 bonus miles, so I guess I'll suffer at the back of the bus. Does United status match at all?

Def no status match. United does sell an economy plus subscription, and they inexplicably gave it to me for free without asking. Still, between requalifying for AA Plat, my award travel on CX, and other promos like JetBlue, I'm having difficulty finding ways to fly UA for the promo you mentioned.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Blinkman987 posted:

December 30th is my soonest loving Global Entry appointment. gently caress this G Earth. Guess I'm stalking the page daily to try and snipe a cancellation.

It took me 2 days to find a cancellation and get a better appointment. Just keep checking.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Mandalay posted:

Def no status match. United does sell an economy plus subscription, and they inexplicably gave it to me for free without asking. Still, between requalifying for AA Plat, my award travel on CX, and other promos like JetBlue, I'm having difficulty finding ways to fly UA for the promo you mentioned.

See if your company has a corporate status match. I got United to match my diamond to Premiere 1K for 180 days through work.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
For those looking for better GE appointments, check this out: https://github.com/davidofwatkins/ge-cancellation-checker

Some technical understanding required, but it beats stalking the website several times a day.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Mandalay posted:

Not quite everyone. I got an error when inputting my SPG number. Annoying as I'm just one stay from Gold.

Did you actually receive the email or found a link somewhere else?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Blinkman987 posted:

I'm in BOS, huge lines, so I just scheduled a 3 hour layover in ORD and got it done in less than two weeks.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Delta was still kind of dorked up yesterday with residual poo poo from Monday. Good times!

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

fyallm posted:

Did you actually receive the email or found a link somewhere else?

I don't think United even sent me an email. It was very confusing and opaque to me. I was booking LAX-IAD and the website put me into Y+, and I thought it was just some kind of bug.

-I travel on UA like once a year, with ~50k miles balance since the Continental days. Nowhere near elite nor any intentions to qualify
-Had a United MileagePlus Explorer credit card
-Registered for the promo Cacafuego mentioned
-Based out of LAX
-AA Plat flyer but there's no way United would know :tinfoil:

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
What's the best car rental company in SLC for a quick weekend getaway? Disappointingly, National doesn't have an Executive Selection there so I booked whatever on Autoslash. Would be cool to get a convertible.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Do you mean they don't have an Executive section of the Emerald Aisle because I'm fairly sure that isn't correct. Or do you mean "pay more money for a bad Maserati" section?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I had a delusional moment last night thinking about flying from LGB to SAN (San Diego not Santa Ana) in order to pick up 2000 more EQM. I would have to connect in Phoenix and it would take ~5 hours each leg including connections. I'm about 3k short of requalifying for AA Plat this year.

Then I woke up and decided I'm driving instead (about 100 miles each way) because the conference is reimbursing me at IRS rates per mile in cold hard cash.

FFPs are a hell of a drug.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Do you mean they don't have an Executive section of the Emerald Aisle because I'm fairly sure that isn't correct. Or do you mean "pay more money for a bad Maserati" section?

According to National's website there is no Emerald Aisle at SLC:
https://www.nationalcar.com/en_US/location-details/us/slct01-salt-lake-city-intl-arpt.html

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Last time I was there a few months ago there wasn't one, which was weird because they've always had one. Not sure if it's temporary or not.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Add that to the long list of things that suck about SLC.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Mandalay posted:

I don't think United even sent me an email. It was very confusing and opaque to me. I was booking LAX-IAD and the website put me into Y+, and I thought it was just some kind of bug.

-I travel on UA like once a year, with ~50k miles balance since the Continental days. Nowhere near elite nor any intentions to qualify
-Had a United MileagePlus Explorer credit card
-Registered for the promo Cacafuego mentioned
-Based out of LAX
-AA Plat flyer but there's no way United would know :tinfoil:

I meant SPG.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

fyallm posted:

I meant SPG.

My mistake. No, SPG didn't send me a targeted email. I went to a website listed by a blog: http://www.travelcodex.com/2016/08/spg-members-targeted-for-double-qualifying-nights-or-bonus-points/

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Mandalay posted:

I had a delusional moment last night thinking about flying from LGB to SAN (San Diego not Santa Ana) in order to pick up 2000 more EQM. I would have to connect in Phoenix and it would take ~5 hours each leg including connections. I'm about 3k short of requalifying for AA Plat this year.

Then I woke up and decided I'm driving instead (about 100 miles each way) because the conference is reimbursing me at IRS rates per mile in cold hard cash.

You are an insane person, says the man flying BOS-CLT-MDT to save $450 of his client's money vs direct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

SLC rentals are terrible. Avis poo poo itself this week on top of the Delta snafu and it was taking 1.5 hours to rent a car. Two of my coworkers had to rent from budget and got smart cars. Last time I was in SLC I got this: