Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

DreadLlama posted:

once I move out of the $20/pair-of-gloves price range.

How much per month do your hands earn you? That is how much you should be willing to spend to keep them attached to you and earning you income.

I know my hands are worth a whole lot more than $20 to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Renaissance Robot posted:

He must have been riding a Ulysses, because that sure was a stream of consciousness.

I'm making a joke because JESUS CHICHE WHY WOULD YOU NOT PUT A TRIGGER WARNING ON THAT poo poo. :gonk:

Related: I already couldn't ride without gloves because my naked hands feel wrong on the controls and I can't help picturing them hitting the ground and this squicks me out enough to make me ride badly. That feeling is now doubled, so uh thanks I guess.

:shobon: sorry, I considered it to be an educational moment.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Yeah, living w/ destroyed hands would suck. I already have a degenerative hand joint disease, so no thank you very much. I'm springing for custom heroic gloves over the winter to replace the dainese ones I've got, because they're a mens and too big. Women's race gloves are poo poo.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

M42 posted:

Yeah, living w/ destroyed hands would suck. I already have a degenerative hand joint disease, so no thank you very much. I'm springing for custom heroic gloves over the winter to replace the dainese ones I've got, because they're a mens and too big. Women's race gloves are poo poo.

I would rather lose my hearing or sight than my hands. Nothing is more important than they are.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I'll say :jackbud:

Nibbler
Feb 13, 2007

America's Game, the way it's meant to be played.

Chichevache posted:

I would rather lose my hearing or sight than my hands. Nothing is more important than they are.

As someone with a neurological condition affecting my eyesight - no, temporarily going blind was the scariest thing ever. I could probably learn to type with my feet or some poo poo.

That post does make me rethink my glove situation though, I think I'm going to spring for some more protection.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I know someone born with half an arm, and she gets along just fine.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Pope Mobile posted:

I know someone born with half an arm, and she gets along just fine.

One hand still let's you wipe yourself and put on your own clothing.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

Chichevache posted:

One hand still let's you wipe yourself and put on your own clothing.

He'll just make sure to only put one hand down when he wrecks. Just like how I don't wear a helmet so I make sure I don't hit my head if I crash.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
As someone who should literally be dead (and/or severely maimed) right now, I'll always be able to justify buying top-notch gear. No, it's not guaranteed to save your rear end, but it's orders of magnitude better than no/cheap gear.

Reminder: I didn't break a single bone during my last crash, and my medical bills were $300,000. If it weren't on a track and I didn't have good gear on, that would have unquestionably been 7 figures. I told my neurologist how much my medical bills were and she was absolutely shocked; she said she wouldn't have batted an eye if they were $700,000. I learned the easy way. I'd never wish for anyone to learn the hard way.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Sweet baby Odin cheech, that is one messed up story. Poor guy. Though I have to send it to a guy in town that I got into riding who, against my advice, now rides like a squid.

I've done around the block rides with no gloves, but poo poo, that story.

Also, the scaphoid protection thing is something I have to look further into; i don't think any of my gloves have it. Though I almost always wear gauntlets and always if I'm going on a highway.

Nibbler posted:

As someone with a neurological condition affecting my eyesight - no, temporarily going blind was the scariest thing ever. I could probably learn to type with my feet or some poo poo.

That post does make me rethink my glove situation though, I think I'm going to spring for some more protection.

It may go against the CA hivemind, but Aerostitch and Olympia make solid gloves for under $100. They may not have the mostest protection, but solid leather with internal seams, or at least covered seams along the pinky end of the hand and secure around wrist aren't bad.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

DreadLlama posted:

Those do not look like squid gloves.

Could I get your opinion on any of the following:

I know from reading this article that scaphoid protection is important but I'm not sure how each of these gloves compare. Do any differences stand out at a glance that someone new/inexperienced might overlook?

This is legit good advice and I'll follow it once I move out of the $20/pair-of-gloves price range.

It's been said already to avoid these, but these are all knockoffs of the old Icon TiMax gloves. They look cool and the originals would probably have some decent protection but I have no doubt that the ones you're looking at either have hilariously poor quality control or absolutelty minimal protective qualities.

Here are the original icon timaxs, which I think are a decade old by now. While your examples are made to look like them, I doubt they would perform like them.

If you really want to pinch some pennies, get some gloves from a real brand on closeout. A while ago you could get some scorpion SGS gloves for 55 but it looks like revzilla only has them in 3xl now. Look around but don't look at no-name brands from ebay (I've never heard of Jackets4Bikes, I'm kind of surprised they even have a website).

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

As Nero Danced posted:

If you really want to pinch some pennies, get some gloves from a real brand on closeout.

Try here and here:
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/
http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/

They're the usual "last season's stuff on deep discount" sites that I keep an eye on.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

TheNothingNew posted:

Try here and here:
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/
http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/

They're the usual "last season's stuff on deep discount" sites that I keep an eye on.

Now that Jack Whites have gone and J&S are pretty much a Frank Thomas outlet store, does anyone know of any UK shops or sites that do that sort of thing?

Jack Whites used to be amazing, I got their last pair of Sidi Vertebra for £75 which in those dim pre-cellphone-internet days I had a vague idea was a good deal, wasn't until I got them home that I realised they were worth three times that. Fuckers lasted me almost ten years too, never managed to get a pair of boots quite so comfortable (even the new Vertebra 2s weren't as good).

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
When I sent my Helds in for warranty, I put the bike up. Even if I'm just going 'round the block to the grocery store with nothing on but gym shorts and a t-shirt, I wear my gloves and my lid. My hands are integral to my livelihood and I didn't blink at spending $250+ on a top-shelf set of gloves. Hell, I spent less on my pants and jacket put together (granted it was used gear, but still).

Hands are real fuckin' important, yo. Don't screw around.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
What's funny/sad is that so many people that I helped gear up during my time at Cycle Gear didn't give two shits about gloves. It was almost always a "Well I have the helmet and jacket what more do I need??" Even getting them to spend $20 on a pair of lovely, "better than nothing" Bilt gloves was an upsell of effort. No, bro, those Fox Dirtpaws won't do poo poo on asphalt, just let the leather break in, and it will be a million times better than any textile.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

M42 posted:

Women's race gloves are poo poo.
Women's hands aren't really so different that they need their own gloves anyway, are they? Check your gynoprivilege

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Pope Mobile posted:

What's funny/sad is that so many people that I helped gear up during my time at Cycle Gear didn't give two shits about gloves. It was almost always a "Well I have the helmet and jacket what more do I need??" Even getting them to spend $20 on a pair of lovely, "better than nothing" Bilt gloves was an upsell of effort. No, bro, those Fox Dirtpaws won't do poo poo on asphalt, just let the leather break in, and it will be a million times better than any textile.

I wish the guys at Cycle Gear upselled me on my gloves. I got my helmet and jacket and grabbed a $20 pair of gloves off the shelf and asked the guy if they're good enough "sure" :gonk:

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Anyone have recommendations on a sport touring-esque helmet for a longish oval head? 'Bout time to replace my RF-1100 and before I just move up to the 1200 I thought I'd check with y'all to see if GT Air or other helmets out there are worth a look. I love the fit on my Arai XD but I loving hate changing Arai shields so I'm probably going to stay away from the Signet line.

Are modulars still lovely or have the locking mechanisms seriously improved in the past 5 years?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Schroeder91 posted:

I wish the guys at Cycle Gear upselled me on my gloves. I got my helmet and jacket and grabbed a $20 pair of gloves off the shelf and asked the guy if they're good enough "sure" :gonk:

Not all of us were interested in safety. That 1% commissions on the other hand...

TeamIce
Mar 16, 2004
LET JESUS FUCK YOU

Going with the "Jesus loving christ spend proper cash on good gloves" crew. I spent almost $400 on my Held Titan Evo's - and if there was a glove better than those (read varying reviews on the Handroids, but other than that, pretty sure the Helds are as good as it gets), I'd toss them and go for it in a heartbeat.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Pope Mobile posted:

Shoulda kept a belt sander with a tar/gravel surface on it in store and invited people to shove their hands in it.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
New that's an idea. I did keep that MRI of the guy who crashed in a half shell readily accessible for people complaining about helmets.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Alternatively show them this video and ask if they think their hand is tougher than metal:

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

MoraleHazard posted:

It may go against the CA hivemind, but Aerostitch and Olympia make solid gloves for under $100. They may not have the mostest protection, but solid leather with internal seams, or at least covered seams along the pinky end of the hand and secure around wrist aren't bad.

Any opinions on Lee Parks gloves? Made from Deer skin.

http://leeparksdesign.com/gloves/

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Deer skin is nice stuff but those gloves seem pretty lacking in impact and wrist protection.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Pope Mobile posted:

Deer skin is nice stuff but those gloves seem pretty lacking in impact and wrist protection.

Yeah, they appear well made, but I don't know thick deer hide is. They might survive abrasion, but they don't protect all the fragile little bones in your hand. I'd probably just get a pair of Alpinestars gauntlets that are comparable in price.

I had the SP1s and they got me through a high side that I braced for with one of my hands, like an idiot. I had wrist pain, but nothing broken. I don't know that the glove actually saved me from broken bones (it definitely save some skin) but I know it would do a better job than the Lee Parks, for a similar price.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-sp-2-gloves

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Those remind me, a real long time ago I read something from a glove maker who made gloves with a lot of leather padding over the top of the hand instead of carbon fiber. They reasoned that carbon fiber was an inferior choice (come to think of it, might have been Lee Parks himself, but his style of gloves look a lot more minimal than the ones I remember, they were quite built up).

I remember them saying something about how carbon fiber will shatter with enough force and thinking it sounded a bit silly, that any force strong enough to destroy the carbon fiber is probably going to treat the leather pretty badly as well. Does this sound familiar to anyone, and does it make any sense?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I feel that the padding/armor on the knuckles is less important than whatever's on the palm, and especially the heel of the hand. Seems like you're more likely to slide there than on the back of your hand.

Also, I think it's important to have something along the lines of what A* does where the fingers are stitched together to prevent them getting twisted sideways.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

It was prob helimot with the padded knuckles. Makes sense. Mine have steel, so whateva!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

M42 posted:

It was prob helimot with the padded knuckles. Makes sense. Mine have steel, so whateva!

Rev'Its? Mine are steel too.

They make me so nervous that I will scratch my tank. :ohdear:

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

M42 posted:

Yeah, that's kind of what they looked like, but my recollection is so fuzzy I really couldn't say. Seeing as how it didn't take off from about a decade ago or whenever I read about them I guess it didn't make much of a difference, the market went forward with hard parts after all.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
What's good in the gloves department that has no leather in it? For (sigh) ethical reasons. Not mine.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Revvik posted:

What's good in the gloves department that has no leather in it? For (sigh) ethical reasons. Not mine.

:catstare: :sever:

Nothing. Leather is the strongest and most comfortable material there is for gloves. Tell whoever it is to sack up and deal with it.

e: just FYI, do NOT consider synthetic leather gloves a replacement. They're made of vinyl, a thermoplastic that will heat up with friction and fuse with your skin.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 13, 2016

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Get kangaroo leather gloves. It is ethical because they're pest animals.

Edit
And :lol: if you're so concerned about ethics that you won't wear leather, but you also won't just ride a drat bicycle.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

SimonCat posted:

Any opinions on Lee Parks gloves? Made from Deer skin.

http://leeparksdesign.com/gloves/

He had a booth when I was at the Chicago motorcycle show two years ago. The gloves are soft, thick deerskin and I wouldn't trust them much more than gardening gloves. There are no hard areas of the gloves, so there is nothing to prevent the gloves twisting around in an off. The Helimot gloves mentioned I would trust to at least stay put due to the stitching and padding work done. The Lee Parks gloves really seemed like in an off they might catch something and just slip off your hands. And yeah, no hard impact protection, no padding even, just abrasion resistance at best.

They were super comfy, though.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Revvik posted:

A lot of gloves have Clarino fingers and/or palms - that's a synthetic leather. I have never seen a glove that's made entirely of Clarino though, they're usually a mix of it and some other synthetic fabric or leather. Googling for "vegan motorcycle gloves" turned up a few options that didn't look so great, and they were all short summer-only gloves.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Any opinions on these Icon Hypersport Pro Long gloves? Glove chat got me looking around and they caught my eye. Can't drop any more coin right now but an upgraded pair of gloves could be on the list.

I've got the Rev'it Striker 2's right now which I like okay but I could use something in a longer more stout glove.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
A bunch of Dainese's gloves and boots are vegan. I don't recall specifics, but folk at RevZilla would know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I thought Alpinestars SP2 was the usual CA answer, like the Shoei RF1200 and the 1290 Ninja 300ABS.