Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Was that music from Desplat's score? If so I'm very hyped for that too.

A lot of familiar motifs with a wildly (IMO) different orchestration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
There is a certain ambition to the shots that the various trailers have showcased which really speak to Gareth Edwards cinema-eye. Certainly more ambition than is present in TFA. Both eclipse shots (the ISD and the planet), the upside down deathstar hanging over the planet, the x-wing and whatever the gently caress is going on there. The shots of the various characters infront of the wacky laser holoscreens.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
My skeleton became superheated diring that trailer, and it is now partially melted.

*puts self in coma until December*

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I love seeing all these iconic ships and vehicles up close. Being used totally different to a degree. Gareth Edwards is the man!

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Trailer was great. That imperial outpost/fort thing looked great. Start of the trailer, the Mesa has had walls carved into the top.

e:

e2: Oh, it is a whole city, neat.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 12, 2016

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.
This looks awesome. My 5 year old son is in love with ATAT Walkers (which he should be) and that bazooka to the head shot is going to make HIS head explode.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Jerkface posted:

There is a certain ambition to the shots that the various trailers have showcased which really speak to Gareth Edwards cinema-eye. Certainly more ambition than is present in TFA. Both eclipse shots (the ISD and the planet), the upside down deathstar hanging over the planet, the x-wing and whatever the gently caress is going on there. The shots of the various characters infront of the wacky laser holoscreens.

Has a lowly TIE fighter ever looked as menacing as the one that pops up near the end of the trailer?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I was destroyed after watching this. Will rebuild upon release. Too much hype. Cannot stably contain it.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Jerkface posted:

The instant there was that shot of the Death Star eclipsing the sun I was sold.

Reiterates why the Death Star is so much scarier than the planet killer in TFA. Imagine being on Alderaan, it's a clear sunny day. Suddenly, it starts to grow dark, but you can't see any stars in the sky. That's when you notice the sun is shrinking, until it is reduced to nothing more than a dim ring around a circle of perfect darkness.

Then the sunlight starts to peek through again, except for some reason the sunlight is now green. Green and brighter than you've ever seen it before.

Then nothing.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Trailer owns. Made some gifs

http://i.imgur.com/LFvGXIe.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/5PmHlaY.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/MNoQFQh.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/aw0MMaH.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/q1GQ5A3.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/6KrItKB.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/QLcdKFz.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/5w4clIC.gifv

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

This poo poo is so cool.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Was that Hugh Laurie half way through? It looked like him (on my phone at least) but I don't see him on the imdb page.

Edit: on a monitor it's clearly not him, derp.

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Aug 12, 2016

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
that hype poo poo

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 12, 2016

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

That was p dope

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

This poo poo is so cool.

The limp and everything is a quote of some other scene and I can't quite place it. I can half see the original scene with the character popping off a few ineffectual shots at the airplane in my head. poo poo, anybody know what I'm talking about?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

DeimosRising posted:

The limp and everything is a quote of some other scene and I can't quite place it. I can half see the original scene with the character popping off a few ineffectual shots at the airplane in my head. poo poo, anybody know what I'm talking about?

Patton? Dunno if he was limping, though. I was personally reminded of the ending of Saving Private Ryan when Tom Hanks fires his pistol at the tank staring him down.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

PunkBoy posted:

Patton? Dunno if he was limping, though. I was personally reminded of the ending of Saving Private Ryan when Tom Hanks fires his pistol at the tank staring him down.
Yeah its a familiar beat. Such a bad rear end beat too. This lady is going to be so cool.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

PunkBoy posted:

Wouldn't be the first time Edwards referenced that Saving Private Ryan scene.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Mads Mikkelsen is in that TIE and is trying to save his daughter from Salim Abu Aziz and the Crimson Jihad.

Also featuring Tom Arnold as a wisecracking Rebel agent and Bill Paxton as a used landspeeder salesman.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I'd watch a Star Wars movie with Tom Arnold and Bill Paxton in it. Directed by James Cameron.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
So I've seen some speculation among fans that the Death Star is used to destroy Jedha, that desert planet with the walled city, and that's what we see set up with the whole eclipse shot and the shot of the ship escaping from the planet under what looks like a rain of boulders. But isn't it made clear in ANH that the Death Star had not yet been deployed before it was used to destroy Alderaan? It seems like it would be really stretching things to show the Death Star used against a planet before ANH.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Hmm, I think I like the first trailer a lil' bit more this one. This one kinda did that thing I don't like where they splice dialogue from different parts of the film together to sound like a conversation. I refuse to support that sort of chicanery.

Some of those shots are spectacular, though.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Given that all the orange containers we see in different scenes are all but confirmed to be transporting khyber crystals, which we know are being mined on that new desert planet Jedha, it looks like a big portion of the movie, apart from perhaps the final push to obtain the plans, deals with loving with the logistics behind completing the Death Star's laser.,

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

MeinPanzer posted:

So I've seen some speculation among fans that the Death Star is used to destroy Jedha, that desert planet with the walled city, and that's what we see set up with the whole eclipse shot and the shot of the ship escaping from the planet under what looks like a rain of boulders. But isn't it made clear in ANH that the Death Star had not yet been deployed before it was used to destroy Alderaan? It seems like it would be really stretching things to show the Death Star used against a planet before ANH.

I thought, before reading that, that it could be Jakku. The Empire shoots this Jedha planet for whatever reason, this wipes out the capital city and most of the population and it becomes a backwater, is renamed Jakku (or it was always named that and the city was Jedha) and now you've got an explanation for the huge scar Jakku has in TFA.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

The scenes in that trailer looked better than any single scene from TFA.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

MeinPanzer posted:

It could be that Jedha was too remote for the results of the test firing to get out, after all remoteness was why Alderaan was destroyed instead of Dantooine.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

drunkill posted:

I thought, before reading that, that it could be Jakku. The Empire shoots this Jedha planet for whatever reason, this wipes out the capital city and most of the population and it becomes a backwater, is renamed Jakku (or it was always named that and the city was Jedha) and now you've got an explanation for the huge scar Jakku has in TFA.

I doubt that, as it sounds like the two planets are quite different. We already have an official description of this new planet, and apart from it and Jakku having different names it sounds like Jedha is a cold desert planet (which is why the characters are wearing parkas on their mission there)..

Edit: Hmm, there might be something to that idea, though. If, as we know, much of the plot revolves around disrupting the Empire's supply of khyber crystals, which are used to power the Death Star's laser, they might have deployed it before they could fully power up the laser.

MeinPanzer fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Aug 12, 2016

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

There is a lot of 2012 style destruction going on in that scene, though. Makes me think that the Death Star takes a shot and, not-being full operational, takes out the city we see in the movie.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I know nothing of Felicity Jones, is she a good actress? Nothing in these trailers has sold me on her. I rebel. Good. Thanks. :effort:

Trailer looked really cool though. Wanna see some AT-AT action/destruction.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

MeinPanzer posted:

Maybe it's just used to destroy a chunk of a planet, but not the whole thing

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
I will be responsible for many views of this trailer until December

Oh my yes

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

That is one sexy gif.

Never too late to develop a new fetisch, I guess.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

drunkill posted:

That's the Star Destroyer crater.

SouthLAnd posted:

I know nothing of Felicity Jones, is she a good actress? Nothing in these trailers has sold me on her. I rebel. Good. Thanks. :effort:
She's an award winning actress for her roles in Like Crazy and The Theory of Everything.

Also hyped.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
I just watched it again

Anyone not watching Rebels

Should watch Rebels

And then watch this movie when it comes out

AStrangeDuelist
Nov 27, 2013
Is anyone else kind of meh on Star Wars? I was really excited for TFA, then it came out and I thought it was a mess, then I started thinking it through and I realised that out of the dozens of books, the movies, and the TV shows I only really like ESB and KOTOR's 1&2.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
This movie looks like it might have some fuckable characters but it will suffer from Avatar Syndrome because Star Wars fans don't like Star Wars.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
I dont like star wars

I loving love it

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I liked everything but the honorable japanese warrior taking out 20 storm troopers with a pole while blind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MeinPanzer posted:

It's unlikely the Death Star is going to blow up any planets in Rogue One. A New Hope made it pretty clear that Alderaan was the Death Stars first target. That would be some serious retconning to make that not the case anymore.

• Locked thread