Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many states will legalize Cannabis in the 2016 election?
5+
View Results

• Locked thread
Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Arizona is just a matter of when second generation immigrants outnumber old white people, there's a ton of undocumented immigrants for a while and their kids will all be able to vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib
was this expected? I'm surprised in retrospect to not see IL appear in this thread more
https://twitter.com/IvanJourno/status/759104152853180416

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

all polling has indicated MA will not pass the legalization bill tho? have people seen info pointing to the opposite?

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

thethreeman posted:

was this expected? I'm surprised in retrospect to not see IL appear in this thread more
https://twitter.com/IvanJourno/status/759104152853180416
It was expected, earlier this year the house and senate passed a full decriminalization bill that made the changes Rauner asked for when he vetoed last years bill. 10 grams or less is now a non criminal offense punishable by a fine of up to $200 while also setting a legal limit for THC in motorists that is the same as states with legal pot.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Karl Barks posted:

all polling has indicated MA will not pass the legalization bill tho? have people seen info pointing to the opposite?

Non funded polls have had slight edge to pass. When I'm at the computer I'll look them up

ballotpedia

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

I feel like the next battle for legal states is going to be on-site consumption. In Colorado we have a shitload of tourists coming for the weed and smoking/consuming on the streets and in hotels that don't allow it.

I'd like it to be us, but I'm not sure if there is the stomach for it. Maybe in the city of Boulder or Denver only, or some ski towns? I have a feeling Nevada is going to totally lap us on this one, I want those sweet tourist tax dollars!

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

it'd be cool for MA and Maine to get legalized weed, maybe so someone can finally apply some pressure to fix NY's busted rear end drug laws

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

MrChupon posted:

I feel like the next battle for legal states is going to be on-site consumption. In Colorado we have a shitload of tourists coming for the weed and smoking/consuming on the streets and in hotels that don't allow it.

I'd like it to be us, but I'm not sure if there is the stomach for it. Maybe in the city of Boulder or Denver only, or some ski towns? I have a feeling Nevada is going to totally lap us on this one, I want those sweet tourist tax dollars!

There's tons of hotels that allow it...

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
The only legal requirement is that it follows the co clean air act, which means only a certain % of rooms can be smoking rooms.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Yeah MA legalizing alone would cause a lot of states some pretty serious grief immediately.

I mean, I'm all for that, obviously.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

MaxxBot posted:

That's really interesting, for some reason here in MN despite being more liberal than WI on most issues the support is dramatically lower, like the reverse of those results.

Minnesota is big on blue laws and things like that so it's actually consistent.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Ace of Baes posted:

There's tons of hotels that allow it...

I was thinking more like Amsterdam-style cafes or bars, places for tourists to purchase and consume openly same as walking into an Applebee's and ordering a beer. And I think you're misrepresenting the hotel situation a little bit -- outside of the mountain towns it's pretty much run down, out of the way, or quirky independent hotels allowing consumption.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Bip Roberts posted:

Minnesota is big on blue laws and things like that so it's actually consistent.

The blue laws actually don't poll well but the liquor store lobby is very good at stopping attempts at repealing them every year.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

MrChupon posted:

I was thinking more like Amsterdam-style cafes or bars, places for tourists to purchase and consume openly same as walking into an Applebee's and ordering a beer. And I think you're misrepresenting the hotel situation a little bit -- outside of the mountain towns it's pretty much run down, out of the way, or quirky independent hotels allowing consumption.

https://www.coloradopotguide.com/marijuana-friendly-hotels/#lodgingmaps
denver and co springs (via manitou) are both really pot-tourist friendly and that's the two largest cities in the state lol

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

MaxxBot posted:

The blue laws actually don't poll well but the liquor store lobby is very good at stopping attempts at repealing them every year.

Why does the liquor store lobby want blue laws?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
For some reason they're very strongly opposed to having their stores open on Sundays, the rationale they use is that if anyone is allowed to do it then everyone is forced to otherwise they lose the competitive advantage.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

MaxxBot posted:

For some reason they're very strongly opposed to having their stores open on Sundays, the rationale they use is that if anyone is allowed to do it then everyone is forced to otherwise they lose the competitive advantage.

That's...strange. Like I get where they are coming from a little, but it still doesn't seem like something they would lobby about, but maybe it's just such a niche and small issue to begin with they don't have to fight very hard to keep the status quo.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Powercrazy posted:

That's...strange. Like I get where they are coming from a little, but it still doesn't seem like something they would lobby about, but maybe it's just such a niche and small issue to begin with they don't have to fight very hard to keep the status quo.
They're essentially trying to avoid this kind of arms race: http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2015/07/20/total-wine-effect-slashes-alcohol-prices-across-minnesota/

To expand a bit, it all has to do with how liquor stores compete with each other, and to understand fully, there's a couple of things that need to be taken as given:

First, that overall liquor store sales in any given area is zero sum, or close to it. Folks plan out their larger liquor purchases and there is surprisingly little that dedicated liquor stores can do to increase that pool of available dollars. Impulse alcohol purchases are covered mostly by convenience or grocery stores, or bars, so dedicated liquor stores are fighting over a fixed pool of cash.

Second, that carrying a wider variety of inventory has diminishing returns. Once a store carries the top-20, 30, 40, etc. varieties of a given kind of alcohol, there's not much to be gained from an expanded collection. Once you've got the largest wine selection in the tri-county area, running up the score on your competitors doesn't get you additional business.

Third, that being open longer hours than your competitors does gain a store a larger share of the pie, and that if allowed to sell 24/7, or close to it, stores would have no choice but to do so or lose a share of their business to their competitors. Think of it like retail stores being open the day after Thanksgiving. First stores open at midnight, then it's 11:00 PM on Thanksgiving, then 9:00 PM, etc.

The cost to operate a store an additional day a week is significant, as is the cost of being open longer hours, but if everyone is open the extra day and for the longer hours, no one sees increased overall sales, they just don't see their business erode, but they do see increased operating costs. It becomes a modified Prisoner's Dilemma, and quickly spirals beyond any one store's control. However, all those stores can lobby for the government to remove the "betray" option, with the added benefit of reducing the incentive for larger chains to move in on smaller, local store turf.

Not good for purchasers, but good for store owners, the exact kin of thing that lobbying groups exist to promote.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
I lived by a tiny overpriced liquor store and 90% of the time I've been there I'm the only customer in the store, I have no idea how they stay in business other than maybe lazy people in the immediate area who don't want to drive 10 minutes to the mega liquor store that's 10x as big and significantly cheaper.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
If Canada doesn't renege and legalizes sometime next year like the liberals are promising, will it have any effect on the US?

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

HappyHippo posted:

If Canada doesn't renege and legalizes sometime next year like the liberals are promising, will it have any effect on the US?

yeah i would think so, it would definitely help public opinion if an entire country with a similar culture made it legal

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

MrChupon posted:

I read about a guy in Colorado who wants to make a weed version of a winery. You can look over how they grow it, buy it, and smoke it in designated parts of the facility.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Not the most prominent place, but the US territory of the Marianas Islands is proposing legalization: https://blog.mpp.org/uncategorized/northern-mariana-islands-may-vote-end-marijuana-prohibition/

If the senator is successful by mid-August, it could end up on the 2016 ballot.

Fwiw, Guam and Puerto Rico passed medical recently. American Samoa remains pretty much the strictest anti-weed territory in the US.

TapTheForwardAssist has issued a correction as of 03:58 on Aug 10, 2016

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Samoa does have a serious obesity issue. Weed isn't going to help that.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Not the most prominent place, but the US territory of the Marianas Islands is proposing legalization: https://blog.mpp.org/uncategorized/northern-mariana-islands-may-vote-end-marijuana-prohibition/

If the senator is successful by mid-August, it could end up on the 2016 ballot.

Fwiw, Guam and Puerto Rico passed medical recently. American Samoa remains pretty much the strictest anti-weed territory in the US.

You literally cannot visit the CNMI directly from the United States. If you want to visit CNMI, you have to have a layover in Tokyo, Seoul, Hong Kong, or Guam (Guam being the only way to do this without technically leaving the US).

So if you're thinking weed tourism on the beach, prepare for a complicated trip.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Patter Song posted:

You literally cannot visit the CNMI directly from the United States. If you want to visit CNMI, you have to have a layover in Tokyo, Seoul, Hong Kong, or Guam (Guam being the only way to do this without technically leaving the US).

So if you're thinking weed tourism on the beach, prepare for a complicated trip.

if only one person gets to grow at home instead of working in a textile sweatshop there it's still a win

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

The X-man cometh posted:

Samoa does have a serious obesity issue. Weed isn't going to help that.

It actually would. Mj smoking is correlated with a lower BMI and incidence of metabolic syndrome.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i am physically dependent on weed and seeking a job equal to my education and experience is daunting because of three weeks of vomiting and rapid weight loss before returning to my neurotic pre-weed self

i'm just happy fast food tastes good to me right now, but drug screening certainly inhibits me from being as productive a citizen as I could be

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
CNMI missed the deadline to get legal on the 2016 ballot, now aiming for 2018: http://www.marijuana.com/blog/news/2016/08/u-s-territory-wont-vote-on-legal-marijuana-this-year/

They tried legal in 2010 and passed the House but failed in the Senate. Given these tries, and the island's sky-high cannabis consumption, it seems pretty likely they'll be the first US territory to eventually legalize.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Aliquid posted:

i am physically dependent on weed and seeking a job equal to my education and experience is daunting because of three weeks of vomiting and rapid weight loss before returning to my neurotic pre-weed self

i'm just happy fast food tastes good to me right now, but drug screening certainly inhibits me from being as productive a citizen as I could be

You aren't physically dependent on weed, you sound like you need to see a doctor and a psych.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Feral Integral posted:

You aren't physically dependent on weed, you sound like you need to see a doctor and a psych.

I think he meant he depends on weed to treat his . medical condition.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

MA split 50-45 in favor/oppose recreational :420:

(A simple majority is all that's needed, so a +5% spread)

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

hey Boston if you do guys do this right you'll get promoted back to second best city in the Northeast

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

hey Boston if you do guys do this right you'll get promoted back to second best city in the Northeast

what's best? portland?

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

it's worcester

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Karl Barks posted:

it's Portsmouth NH

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Karl Barks posted:

what's best? portland?

To see hipsters driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women: "hey, do you have any Parliament Lights?"

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

sorry only actual cities count, nyc of course

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

im counting the mid atlantic states as part of the north east not just new england

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

im counting the mid atlantic states as part of the north east not just new england

New England has a football team. NYC doesn't. Ergo it doesn't count.

• Locked thread