Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Sarah Hanson-Young talks Nauru with the CBC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
I can't wait for Pauline's Royal Commision into Muslims, I'm concerned by all this talk of heads will roll like we're some kind of Islamic state.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ZombyDog posted:

I can't wait for Pauline's Royal Commision into Muslims, I'm concerned by all this talk of heads will roll like we're some kind of Islamic state.

I was thinking we were becoming more like Vlad the Impaler's Romania.

Only with much worse internet of course.

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic
Indigenous men aged 25-29 have the highest rate of suicide in the world, which I imagine is going to be talked about for a day and then totally forgotten, like every other time the suicide rates amongst Indigenous people gets mentioned. If an 11 (? can't remember exact age) year-old child killing themselves couldn't prompt anything besides hand-wringing I don't have much hope for this, although it is concrete data showing a huge deficit between Indigenous and non-Indigenous youth, and between urban and rural youth of all kinds.

Even if people were going to pay attention it's going to get lost in the census shitstorm, like everything that's happened this week besides us winning medals in the Olympics.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
https://www.newscientist.com/article/2100806-lead-in-australias-drinking-water-is-leaching-from-brass-taps/

quote:

Lead in Australia’s drinking water is leaching from brass taps
The proof is in the plumbing. Low-level lead contamination of water is widespread in Australian homes, with brass tap fittings the most likely source.

quote:

In their study, Harvey and his colleagues detected lead in 56 per cent of samples – and 8 per cent of those exceeded the limit of 10 micrograms per litre set in the Australian Drinking Water Guidelines.

In a subsequent experiment, the researchers tested water before and after it passed through brass taps, which contain small amounts of lead, and lead-free stainless steel taps. Lead was only found in water that had passed through brass ones.

“Water sits inside the brass barrel of your tap, where it can be exposed to lead for a long time, especially if it sits there overnight,” Harvey says.

quote:

Lead is a neurotoxin that is particularly harmful to children. Studies have linked low-level lead exposure to reductions in IQ and attention span, as well as a greater tendency for antisocial behaviour.

Australia’s 10-microgram lead limit for drinking water was set in the mid-1990s, but the World Health Organization has since deemed that no level of exposure is safe.

The researchers are yet to test whether higher lead levels in home water supplies correlate with higher amounts in the blood and adverse health effects, but Harvey believes there is potential for harm.

“Having seen what I’ve seen in terms of the concentrations in the water and the widespread nature of it, it is raising the alarm,” he says.

A handful of samples contained almost 90 micrograms of lead per litre – comparable to the levels recorded during the recent water crisis in Flint, Michigan, after distribution pipes began to corrode.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Was going to post the indigenous suicide issue because I'm such a fun guy.

According to Ray Hadley the Census site is down again but even if that's not true.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-12/census-2016-site-up-and-running-in-australia/7722738

quote:

Census 2016: Site back online, but only for those using Australian servers AM By Will Ockenden Posted about 2 hours ago

The census website is back up and running, but only for people using Australian-based servers as the Government attempts to ward off repeated cyber attacks.

Key points:

ABS switched off the site on census night due to hackers
In the eight hours after the system went back online 341,626 people sent in their forms
Geoblocked appears to have blocked DNS servers hosted overseas
A series of denial of service (DOS) attacks on the site on census night prompted the Bureau of Statistics to switch off the system around 7:30pm on August 9 for fear of hackers.

After going live yesterday afternoon, the website had been accepting forms from across the country, though at a much reduced rate from census night. In the eight hours after the system went back online yesterday, 341,626 people sent in their digital forms. That is about 11 per second — well below the claimed capacity of 260 per second. It may be that people are worried, but it may also be that after all the downtime they simply did not know that the site was again open for business. A geoblock, or system used to limit internet access based on a user's location, on the census website is also causing issues for some users, IT consultant Justin Warren said. "[The site] pretty much all lives in one place behind a wall," he said. "What they have seemed to have done is they have put some holes in the wall to allow you to come in if you're from Australia, and you're not from Australia you can't come in."

Metadata retention dodgers among those affected

Mr Warren said the geoblock "had some unintended consequences unfortunately". He said one of the issues people seem to be having was with Virtual Private Networks (VPNs). The other issue has been with the Domain Name System (DNS) — the part of the internet that translates the https://www. domain name to an IP address, so the computer can connect to the web server. But because the ABS has geoblocked international traffic, they also appear to have blocked DNS servers hosted overseas. "The traffic that goes over there can't find the DNS for the census site, as far as your computer is concerned the census site doesn't exist," Mr Warren said.

Mr Warren said some people had changed to overseas DNS to avoid metadata retention logging, and would likely be affected by the ABS's decision. "It definitely looks like a blunt instrument, there doesn't seem to be a great deal of precision going on," he said. As for fixing that problem, other technology experts AM spoke to said the fix would be cheap, simple and easy. But the ABS said it had introduced protective security measures that would affect some users. It said that it was encouraging people who were having problems to seek help on its website, or if possible, try another device.

It is looking more and more like the DoS 'attack' was actually just Australians trying to do their civic duty. The issue of the ABS and metadat along with personal detail logging would mean I'd never go near the ABS' website without a VPN. Also if only ~ 500 000 can do it a day that will mean it will take ~ 20 days for everyone to lodge :psyboom: twenty days - That's after the olympics are over and then some.

D I S A S T E R

Also there have been a bunch of good jokes etc so far this month so, despite the origins and the rating, this is one of the more enjoyable Aus Pols for a while (poo poo state of the country not withstanding).

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

They could have avoided all the nonsense by actually making it clear to people that you did not need to complete it on Tuesday and in fact have several weeks to get it completed.

Actually if most people are anything like me they would have just frantically done it at the last minute so maybe it wouldn't have helped at all.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Ten Becquerels posted:

Indigenous men aged 25-29 have the highest rate of suicide in the world, which I imagine is going to be talked about for a day and then totally forgotten, like every other time the suicide rates amongst Indigenous people gets mentioned. If an 11 (? can't remember exact age) year-old child killing themselves couldn't prompt anything besides hand-wringing I don't have much hope for this, although it is concrete data showing a huge deficit between Indigenous and non-Indigenous youth, and between urban and rural youth of all kinds.

Even if people were going to pay attention it's going to get lost in the census shitstorm, like everything that's happened this week besides us winning medals in the Olympics.

Children get raped regularly in our detention camps. Australia couldn't give a gently caress.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

It's a really difficult question to answer - whether or not Australians care less if an abused child is indigenous or a refugee.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

That explains your posting.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I think my taps at home are stainless steel... Does boiling the water help minimise this? :ohdear:

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I think my taps at home are stainless steel... Does boiling the water help minimise this? :ohdear:

I doubt it. Boiling water wont remove impurities. You would need a filter, probably an RO setup.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Just drink nothing but alcohol to protect your precious bodily fluids.

And sanity.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Seen today: two ABS blokes in a booth at the mall, trying to not look like rabbits in headlights, surrounded by laptops and soothing informational signs, poor buggers.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico

Endman posted:

It's a really difficult question to answer - whether or not Australians care less if an abused child is indigenous or a refugee.

I was thinking about that last night, while trying to fall asleep ahead of a 6am start, no less...

I nearly cried myself to sleep last night.

The answer is most likely that people care less about refugees, I think the geographical link/proximity to Indigenous Australians accounts for something.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico
Which is hosed up, given that we could all become refugees in the space of a day. The same can't be said about becoming Indigenous, and having to deal with the pressures that comes with that.

Australians are just confused, angry (scared) humans striving for significance.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Big Daddy Keynes posted:

A lady only company would probably fix that but I can't imagine enough qualified tradies exist due to the awful culture on large sites (i know a few lady apprentices but they seem to be almost always the only women on site which makes me think the burnout rate is pretty high). Which is bizarre because the BLF are one of the major reasons melbourne uni started one of the first womens studies groups so you would assume the union would have done more to clean up the culture.

S.A.L.T the earth, imho.

BlitzkriegOfColour fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Aug 12, 2016

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Redcordial posted:

I was thinking about that last night, while trying to fall asleep ahead of a 6am start, no less...

I nearly cried myself to sleep last night.

The answer is most likely that people care less about refugees, I think the geographical link/proximity to Indigenous Australians accounts for something.

I agree on the end result of your reasoning, but not the working out to get there.

I think your average Australian has more negative opinions about indigenous Australians, while they tend to be more ambivalent about asylum seekers.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I think it depends heavily on what state you're talking about. Most Victorians couldn't give a gently caress about indigenous Australians, but we've got plenty of fascists scared of the Muslamic hordes.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Looks like Labor and the Coalition are going to screw over the Greens and the crossbench on the 6 year senate terms.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Seems like it's probably the fairest way. Guess they could have had a lottery.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

open24hours posted:

hawke introduced something where double dissolutions can be recounted as if they were half senate elections for determining this stuff more fairly, this was just the major parties reaching for more seats next go

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

open24hours posted:

No.

There are two ways of doing it: one is to take the first 6 elected from the DD, one is to do a recount with a normal quota and give the 6 years terms to the people that would have been elected. The recount is nominally the standard method (and the AEC has to do it anyway), but the Senate is under no obligation to follow it. Taking the first 6 is very advantageous to the major parties.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Looks like Labor and the Coalition are going to screw over the Greens and the crossbench on the 6 year senate terms.

Yep can't see this backfiring at all. No sirree.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Guys, people absolutely loving hate us, see us as in league with each other, and are voting for minor parties in ever increasing numbers. What can we do to fix this???

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Solemn Sloth posted:

Guys, people absolutely loving hate us, see us as in league with each other, and are voting for minor parties in ever increasing numbers. What can we do to fix this???

short term gain

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

You mean by doing the same thing that's happened every other time?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

EvilElmo posted:

I see you've got your talking points from HQ, so let's hear the justification! :allears:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Here comes forums poster EvilElmo to tell us how great it is that Labor are working with the Coalition

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Starshark posted:

I see you've got your talking points from HQ, so let's hear the justification! :allears:

Really? That's the quality of response now. "YOU GOT YOUR LINES FROM HQ! Hurrrr"

Get hosed.

Also, if you read my post, you'll see I provided the answer to your question. Here it is again.

EvilElmo posted:

Recoome posted:

Here comes forums poster EvilElmo to tell us how great it is that Labor are working with the Coalition

You're the one who always attacked the ALP when they work with the Liberals as though it's a horrible thing to do. Unless the Greens are voting with the Liberals, then there are reasons and they're all valid and legitimate. Like when they voted down an ETS. Or voted for the Senate reform that had major problems, and resulted in more One Nation Senators to be elected (2 are from the 'reforms').

It would also appear that posters in here would prefer the One Nation Senators as well as Hinch, Day and Leyonhjelm to serve 6 year terms so they can keep Rhiannon in for 6 years? Seems like a good trade to me!

I would have thought you would have preferred to roll her in 3 rather than 6 years.

EvilElmo fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Aug 12, 2016

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Elmo I don't give a gently caress about the greens but can you please stop jumping to the rescue whenever someone mocks labour because it shits up the thread something chronic

Tia

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

EvilElmo posted:

Really? That's the quality of response now. "YOU GOT YOUR LINES FROM HQ! Hurrrr"

Get hosed.

Also, if you read my post, you'll see I provided the answer to your question. Here it is again.

That should go over well with the voters who are leaving your party for the minors. You're very good at getting the message out.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Starshark posted:

That should go over well with the voters who are leaving your party for the minors. You're very good at getting the message out.

How many seats did you lose at the last election?

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

tithin posted:

Elmo I don't give a gently caress about the greens but can you please stop jumping to the rescue whenever someone mocks labour because it shits up the thread something chronic

Tia

Give it another few posts and someone will inevitably say "somethingsomething torture", the circle jerk will restart itself.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

hahahahahahaha holy loving poo poo

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

EvilElmo posted:

You're the one who always attacked the ALP when they work with the Liberals as though it's a horrible thing to do. Unless the Greens are voting with the Liberals, then there are reasons and they're all valid and legitimate.

:ironicat:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

EvilElmo posted:

Give it another few posts and someone will inevitably say "somethingsomething torture", the circle jerk will restart itself.

yeah sorry torture is totally cool and good right? I mean it's a great punchline and I'm glad Labor take such a hard stance against it

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

EvilElmo posted:

Being consistently unfair isn't a virtue.

It's also ignoring that Labor proposed the recount system, and are now choosing to ignore it for their own benefit.

So what's your assessment of how the Senate Reforms went?

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Recoome posted:

yeah sorry torture is totally cool and good right? I mean it's a great punchline and I'm glad Labor take such a hard stance against it

Took 3 posts.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Being consistently unfair isn't a virtue.

It's also ignoring that Labor proposed the recount system, and are now choosing to ignore it for their own benefit.

So what's your assessment of how the Senate Reforms went?

I'm not sure how it's unfair. Both systems have their benefits, both systems will have "losers". In this result, it will get rid of 3 racists, a bigot and two nuts. The Greens should rejoice. You'll get rid of Rhiannon early and pick up another Senator.

Senate Reforms are the reason we got 2/4 racists in the Senate. I said they were poo poo, they are poo poo. I'm not sure how many times I need to keep posting this. One day you might all admit the Senate reforms were rushed, poo poo policy and not well thought through. But I guess you all still defend voting down the ETS..

EvilElmo fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Aug 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

oh wait sorry the ALP are torture apologists as well woooooops

• Locked thread