Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

The wurst kind of sausage

my dad posted:

Pretty major archaeological find in Serbia, 4th century golden and silver curse tablets in the Roman necropolis in Viminacium, the contents of which provide rather interesting insights about the expansion of Christianity and coexistence of Christians and pagans. In addition, there's a number of tablets that are either magical symbols or written in a coded language (or gibberish, I guess).

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/science-news/roman-curse-tablets-made-gold-discovered-viminacium-serbia-n623426 (The only article I could find in English so far, not a very good one, sorry)

One of the tablets, with the symbols traced to make them easier to see:

I've partially translated it:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Mr Havafap posted:

So I'm in her room when her betrothed shows up with his Greek friend....

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Mr Havafap posted:

"girl" and "printer" are both in there because "gently caress printers", right?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah I don't know where he got Printer, that's obviously Infantry Division. Or 10-20 Legions, to use the contemporary term.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Mr Havafap posted:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Mr Havafap posted:

You missed an obvious one.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Mr Havafap posted:

Amazing.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Hogge Wild posted:

I've understood that they ate a lot of cheese, because so many of them were goatherds.

Did they only eat beef from sacrifices?

Not a whole lot of grazing land to raise cattle on in Greece

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

icantfindaname posted:

Not a whole lot of grazing land to raise cattle on in Greece

There's plenty of land. Cattle were primarily work animals and for transportation (plowing fields, pulling carts). Goats and sheep were the main herd animals for meat, milk, and wool.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

There's plenty of land. Cattle were primarily work animals and for transportation (plowing fields, pulling carts). Goats and sheep were the main herd animals for meat, milk, and wool.

Plenty of extremely hilly/mountainous land, no? Which goats and sheep are fine with, cows not so much.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

If I remember correctly eating cows/chickens regularly is a relatively modern thing. They were primarily kept for milk and eggs, and only eaten after sacrifices or when they got too old to be otherwise useful.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

feedmegin posted:

Plenty of extremely hilly/mountainous land, no? Which goats and sheep are fine with, cows not so much.

Yes, a smaller fraction is arable than other places, certainly, but the population wasn't that high either. They had enough land to grow crops and feed themselves. Lots of groves of olives and grapes.

I guess my point was that they could have had big cattle herds if they'd wanted, but sheep and goats were smaller and easier to manage, and more generally useful. That seems to be more important than pastureland availability. Sheep and goats can be handled by men on foot. Cattle are big and unwieldy, and require far more effort than they're worth. They were most useful as work animals.

It's not all lush prairie like the American Midwest, but it's good enough for their purposes.

ETA:

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 11, 2016

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Finally a semi-decent English writeup on the finds in Viminacium

http://www.thehistoryblog.com/archives/43652

quote:

Buried with one of the skeletons dating to the 4th century were two small lead cylinders holding three rolled up sheets, one of silver, two of gold. The silver and gold sheets had writing and symbols inscribed on them. One of them has Greek letters but is written in Aramaic, not Greek. Archaeologists have identified an intriguing combination of names on it: Baal, Yahweh, and Thobarabau, Seneseilam and Sesengenfaranges, three deities/demons (depending on whether your perspective is polytheistic or Christian) native to what is now Syria. A curse tablet inviking the powers of both Baal and Yahweh is unprecedented.

The sheets themselves, as found:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Deteriorata posted:

Yes, a smaller fraction is arable than other places, certainly, but the population wasn't that high either. They had enough land to grow crops and feed themselves. Lots of groves of olives and grapes.

I guess my point was that they could have had big cattle herds if they'd wanted, but sheep and goats were smaller and easier to manage, and more generally useful. That seems to be more important than pastureland availability. Sheep and goats can be handled by men on foot. Cattle are big and unwieldy, and require far more effort than they're worth. They were most useful as work animals.

It's not all lush prairie like the American Midwest, but it's good enough for their purposes.

ETA:

It's more of an efficiency thing than cattle being difficult to manage, horses are a lot worse than cattle in that sense.

Beef cattle are slaughtered at a young age (usually sent to be "finished" at feedlots when under a year old) and you need an enormous amount of grazeland to support that. To produce one animal for consumption, you need enough feed for two animals (mother cow and calf) and the cow is not really useful for milk production or other work because all her energy is devoted to birthing and nursing a calf each year.

The modern beef industry is in semi-arid steppes like the American Great Plains which aren't really useful for growing crops.

Edit: cattle are also pickier eaters than goats or sheep (see, for example, cattle bloat). Beef is just a super inefficient use of land.

Also there might be issues with the kinds of grasses they have in Greece, are they warm season, cool season grasses? How do you feed your cattle in the off-season? In modern times this is done by storing hay for the winter but I dunno much about the vegetation in Greece.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 11, 2016

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So what was the deal with all the religious significance given to cows, then? You never hear about magical goats or the gods taking the shape of a sheep to interact with mortals in the myths.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

So what was the deal with all the religious significance given to cows, then? You never hear about magical goats or the gods taking the shape of a sheep to interact with mortals in the myths.

If I had to guess, I would say it had something to do with how bulls, particularly, are big and powerful and able to seriously gently caress you up on a whim. They represented the wildness and unpredictability of nature.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Because they're symbols of wealth, if you really want to make an impression you sacrifice a huge fuckoff bull that took 5 generations of selective breeding to make, not your scraggly goat you use to make cheese.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Yeah, in a place like Ancient Greece cattle were a status symbol the same way a garage full of the most expensive Porsches is.

And they're just about as practical.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Cattle was almost the currency in pre-English Ireland. Ownership of cattle was vital to nobles, because renting cattle to clients would provide them with followers and supporters.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'm getting King of Dragon Pass flashbacks.

garstal

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It might even be the inspiration. Probably the most important Irish folktale is the Táin Bó Cúailnge, or the Cattle Raid of Cooley. Gaelic cattle raiding was a huge business.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Were horse raids a thing too? I know the Plains Indians loved to steal horses and they were basically a currency too, wondering if that was also the case with other horse or chariot cultures.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Pellisworth posted:

It's more of an efficiency thing than cattle being difficult to manage, horses are a lot worse than cattle in that sense.

Beef cattle are slaughtered at a young age (usually sent to be "finished" at feedlots when under a year old) and you need an enormous amount of grazeland to support that. To produce one animal for consumption, you need enough feed for two animals (mother cow and calf) and the cow is not really useful for milk production or other work because all her energy is devoted to birthing and nursing a calf each year.

The modern beef industry is in semi-arid steppes like the American Great Plains which aren't really useful for growing crops.

Edit: cattle are also pickier eaters than goats or sheep (see, for example, cattle bloat). Beef is just a super inefficient use of land.

Also there might be issues with the kinds of grasses they have in Greece, are they warm season, cool season grasses? How do you feed your cattle in the off-season? In modern times this is done by storing hay for the winter but I dunno much about the vegetation in Greece.

This reminds me of a cool lecture we had at uni which was essentially titled "Why you do not want to be a male domesticated animal"

Your lifespan is short unless you are extremely lucky. Sorry, silly aside.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

NLJP posted:

This reminds me of a cool lecture we had at uni which was essentially titled "Why you do not want to be a male domesticated animal"

Yep, every batch of adorable chicks that hatch from the incubator end with half of them getting tossed right in the industrial sausage grinder.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Pellisworth posted:

Were horse raids a thing too? I know the Plains Indians loved to steal horses and they were basically a currency too, wondering if that was also the case with other horse or chariot cultures.

Horses were less useful in the Classical period than cattle; the modern horse collar hadn't been invented yet. Saying they were only used for warfare is a broad generalization, but ... from what I recall, they were pretty much only used for warfare. So I guess you'd steal them if you wanted to endanger your life first by stealing and then being in an ancient battle.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Dozens of people were killed in cattle raids in South Sudan a while ago. No need for the past tense.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

The Minoans were really into bull-leaping. It's not clear whether it was entertainment or religious ritual, as they left no written record of it, only art. The dancers would get the bull to charge them, then when it lowered its head to gore them they would leap and grab the bull's horn. They would then do a flip and land on the bull's back.

Diagram of how they think it worked:

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
People need to give bulls a loving break.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

NLJP posted:

Yeah, modern beef production will have one bull to "service" 30-40 or so cows, and you'll only keep enough heifers (young cows) to replace your older cows which have a productive lifespan of ~10-12 years.

Bull calves are usually castrated immediately after birth or a few months later. So if you're born male you've got about a 1 in 30-40 chance of not being castrated and eaten in a year or two, and if female maybe 1 in 10-12 of not also becoming hamburger.

Deteriorata posted:

The Minoans were really into bull-leaping. It's not clear whether it was entertainment or religious ritual, as they left no written record of it, only art. The dancers would get the bull to charge them, then when it lowered its head to gore them they would leap and grab the bull's horn. They would then do a flip and land on the bull's back.

Diagram of how they think it worked:

This looks unbelievably dangerous and stupid. Though bulls can be very tame and docile, I'm guessing they probably selected dopier bulls and trained them for this otherwise your rate of injuries and gorings would be incredible.

Edit: actually I'd be more afraid of a cornered mother cow (you're vaccinating her calf or something) than most bulls. Wild or aggressive bulls are obviously not something you want to keep or breed for unless it's specifically for fighting or something.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 12, 2016

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
It's actually about ethics in beef cattle raising.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Ras Het posted:

People need to give bulls a loving break.

And yet so many cultures have a beef with them.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

homullus posted:

And yet so many cultures have a beef with them.

Despite having huge balls, if you poll bulls you'll find they're actually not horny at all.

no one will get this terrible pun

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

This looks unbelievably dangerous and stupid. Though bulls can be very tame and docile, I'm guessing they probably selected dopier bulls and trained them for this otherwise your rate of injuries and gorings would be incredible.

I was just thinking it would be a lot easier to use a model bull. Which conveniently ties into the Daedalus myth.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Pellisworth posted:

Edit: actually I'd be more afraid of a cornered mother cow (you're vaccinating her calf or something) than most bulls. Wild or aggressive bulls are obviously not something you want to keep or breed for unless it's specifically for fighting or something.
Quite possible it was human sacrifice via bull death

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You definitely couldn't do that with a goat.

The real world has a lot of acrobats who do crazy things. I expect somebody figured out how to do that with a bull on a slow day goofing around doing stupid things that they shouldn't.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

SlothfulCobra posted:

I expect somebody figured out how to do that with a bull on a slow day goofing around doing stupid things that they shouldn't.

So...Ancient Greece had Goons?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Ynglaur posted:

So...Ancient Greece had Goons?

I don't think they kept cattle indoors.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I was actually just reading about bull leaping, it's still done in Spain and southwest France today.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Pellisworth posted:

Despite having huge balls, if you poll bulls you'll find they're actually not horny at all.

no one will get this terrible pun

I get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Grand Fromage posted:

If I remember correctly eating cows/chickens regularly is a relatively modern thing. They were primarily kept for milk and eggs, and only eaten after sacrifices or when they got too old to be otherwise useful.

Of course 'relatively modern' is a bit broad term, but iirc it was quite common to eat poultry in medieval era. And I think that the most important function for the cattle in Greece was to pull plows.