Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Discendo Vox posted:

From the pages I've seen that also seems to have been something of a problem with Prez.

I like Flintstones and not Prez, but to be fair, Prez is dealing with politics. That's some inherently bitter subject matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Idea: A stone-age version of 70s Prez, still fighting cripple vampires and brainwashed Bobby Fischer

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

I like Flintstones and not Prez, but to be fair, Prez is dealing with politics. That's some inherently bitter subject matter.

Yeah, it's hard not to sound bitter telling a joke where the essential punchline is "politics is so bonkers, right? :unsmith:"

I mean, Prez, a teenager POTUS, is a very silly concept, but suspending disbelief, the idea of an America that would elect a teenager president implies so many hosed up things about the state of the nation and the people in it.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 12, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I mean, the only reason American Idol contestants don't run for president is that it's illegal to elect someone under 35.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

ANAD Avengers Annual

Sadly, the original description of the book was a case of bait n switch. Rather than being treated to an entire issue of Kamala's fanfiction (written by her), its 4 small fanfiction stories ABOUT her (well, 3 plus one for She-Hulk for whatever reason), including the elongated version of Mark Waid's obligatory jab at MRAs he seems to do once an issue in this series.

Anyway.

Upon discovering that someone made a fanfic of her, shipping her with her teammates, Kamala, forgetting she literally shipped two of her teammates with the Juggernaut, messages the site admin (with the cringy screenname of "ROFLcopter") and tries to contact the author to get the fic taken down. There's a pretty big twist near the end, but that one is immediately overshadowed by an even bigger twist on the next page when the show the site's admin.

I imagine he loves moderating the Captain America section.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

SilverSupernova posted:

ANAD Avengers Annual

Sadly, the original description of the book was a case of bait n switch. Rather than being treated to an entire issue of Kamala's fanfiction (written by her), its 4 small fanfiction stories ABOUT her (well, 3 plus one for She-Hulk for whatever reason), including the elongated version of Mark Waid's obligatory jab at MRAs he seems to do once an issue in this series.

Anyway.

Upon discovering that someone made a fanfic of her, shipping her with her teammates, Kamala, forgetting she literally shipped two of her teammates with the Juggernaut, messages the site admin (with the cringy screenname of "ROFLcopter") and tries to contact the author to get the fic taken down. There's a pretty big twist near the end, but that one is immediately overshadowed by an even bigger twist on the next page when the show the site's admin.

:lol: That is perfect.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

That's pretty good cover-art for a fan fiction. I'm just saying, I'd be flattered.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

SilverSupernova posted:

ANAD Avengers Annual

Anyway.

I think Waid was making a jab at DC, not MRAs with that story.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think Waid was making a jab at DC, not MRAs with that story.

Nope, it was the former. Did you somehow miss all the sexist dialogue Story!Kamala has at the end of the segment?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Gaz-L posted:

Story!Kamala

:what:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

SilverSupernova posted:

:vince:

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006

Using exclamation points after a descriptor is how fanfic authors determine what version of a character they're talking about. For example, in Lord of the Rings, the character of Faramir as presented in the movies bears only a passing resemblance to the character in the book. Thus people would talk about book!Faramir or movie!Faramir.

Source: I knew lots of lonely women in the early 00s on livejournal.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Everybody knows what it means, it's still dumb and grating as gently caress

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I was trying to work out what StoryNotKamala referred to.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Awful!Goons

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

goatface posted:

:same:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Gaz-L posted:

Nope, it was the former. Did you somehow miss all the sexist dialogue Story!Kamala has at the end of the segment?

Yeah, I kind of phrased that poorly (I was phoneposting so I couldn't really go into much detail). On reflection, I think it's actually going after both. Considering the story (while yes, deliberately badly written) starts with a relatively even-handed transfer of the mantle between Carol & Kamala (complete with heroic sacrifice), it ends with Mar-Vell's hand appearing a la the Rebirth cover & the most boringest original character taking over an identity as the more interesting ones are marginalized (coughBatgirl), and the writing quality taking a nosedive at that exact moment. And considering some of the more controversial stories coming out about DC Comics (the company), I think their might be a slight overlap between the two demographics.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Travis343 posted:

Everybody knows what it means, it's still dumb and grating as gently caress

I had no idea. That was the first time I've ever seen it

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Endless Mike posted:

I had no idea. That was the first time I've ever seen it

I also didn't know and now, having learned, do not find it grating

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

AnonSpore posted:

Awful!Goons

:thurman:

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
I have no problem with Mark Waid taking shots at MRAs, because MRAs are loving terrible and deserve all the mockery the universe can muster.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

goatface posted:

Wouldn't Story->Kamala work better?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I also hope it drives another nail in the coffin of the five people who think bringing Mar-Vell back would be a good idea.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Die Laughing posted:

I also hope it drives another nail in the coffin of the five people who think bringing Mar-Vell back would be a good idea.

I'm pretty sure that's the one story denied Jeph Loeb. He talked about wanting "bring him back for real" but his pitch wasn't very popular.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Mar-Vell would be a footnote if not for his death. That was a good fuckin story, and bringing him back would invalidate everything. Of course, considering how many people are perfectly fine with separate but equal Hawkeyes, Hulks, Captain Americas, Thors, and Iron Men, sure, why not.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Marvel Studios already said Carol's getting a whole new origin for the films so shortly Mar-Vell will become pretty much obsolete.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
That too.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

WickedHate posted:

Mar-Vell would be a footnote if not for his death. That was a good fuckin story, and bringing him back would invalidate everything. Of course, considering how many people are perfectly fine with separate but equal Hawkeyes, Hulks, Captain Americas, Thors, and Iron Men, sure, why not.

That didn't stop Marvel from bringing back Kraven the Hunter.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yvonmukluk posted:

That didn't stop Marvel from bringing back Kraven the Hunter.

It was totally worth it to tell the amazing story of... whatever happened.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he spent time as a tortured soul unable to die, but no one really did anything with that version. i think he appeared once in scarlet spider? intentionally absurd recurring squirrel girl villain is a better place all around.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

And he was in Rick Remender's Venom. What ended up happening with Kraven's daughter? She was kind of cool.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Die Laughing posted:

And he was in Rick Remender's Venom. What ended up happening with Kraven's daughter? She was kind of cool.

She's an Inhuman! And she's losing her loving poo poo about it and pseudo-working with them on All-New Inhumans, considering she's not that mentally stable to begin with before learning her blood is, ahem, "tainted".

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

It was in Scarlet Spider so yeah I'd say it was worth it.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

SilverSupernova posted:

ANAD Avengers Annual

Anyway.

What I really love is that Clark Gregg is totally in on the joke and joins in on it regularly. Didn't he get photos of himself clutching the ComicCon Cap statue?

Yes he did.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

It got us Scarlet Spider so yeah it was p. great.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

WickedHate posted:

That was a good fuckin story, and bringing him back would invalidate everything.

Are you unfamiliar with Barry Allen? He's kind of a big deal.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

It got us Scarlet Spider so yeah it was p. great.

If only there was a way to get him a solo book without telling a really boring story involving Kraven.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

If only there was a way to get him a solo book without telling a really boring story involving Kraven.

Sometimes we must make small sacrifices to experience great things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Ensign_Ricky posted:

What I really love is that Clark Gregg is totally in on the joke and joins in on it regularly. Didn't he get photos of himself clutching the ComicCon Cap statue?

Yes he did.

Statue should be classic Cap costume. :colbert: Cargo pants pockets don't look good on a statue.