Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Light Gun Man posted:

This feels like one of those things where you could buy a month and rip roms out. But I suppose that would be :filez:

Like if I could just give them 5 bucks for a non-DRMed to hell exe file I would, wtf.

the sad thing is they'd probably make more money if they just put it all on steam but japan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Project EGG (D4 Enterprise) owns the majority of Compile's old stuff and the catalogues of a few other studios from that era and they also release a lot of other stuff from companies big and small, not to mention EGG Records which does a lot of high-qualtiy OSTs. Their emulators and other frontends aren't very good but they're serious about publishing and maintaining lots of weird poo poo so I'm glad they're still kicking.

I think they released Nyanpi on iOS for a couple bucks, maybe that's the easiest option if you really want to pay for it.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Project EGG (D4 Enterprise) owns the majority of Compile's old stuff and the catalogues of a few other studios from that era and they also release a lot of other stuff from companies big and small, not to mention EGG Records which does a lot of high-qualtiy OSTs. Their emulators and other frontends aren't very good but they're serious about publishing and maintaining lots of weird poo poo so I'm glad they're still kicking.

I think they released Nyanpi on iOS for a couple bucks, maybe that's the easiest option if you really want to pay for it.

Was hoping to stream the game and my iOS devices are old and broken. Maybe I'll dig around for all the old discs and make my own rom or something.

Or probably a better idea, stick to the 40 level version, because it took me longer than it should to beat the 3 level demo.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
While we are looking for strategy guides, I am looking for a strategy guide for Pokemon Red and Blue that took the form of a newspaper about the protagonists adventures through the various towns/cities. It may have been in Nintendo Power and it was definitely an official thing.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Jumpingmanjim posted:

While we are looking for strategy guides, I am looking for a strategy guide for Pokemon Red and Blue that took the form of a newspaper about the protagonists adventures through the various towns/cities. It may have been in Nintendo Power and it was definitely an official thing.

That sounds like a Nintendo Power thing

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Don't know how this flew under everyone's radar but the Final Fantasy VI CD audio MSU-1 hack has come out.

It is in beta but I am going to try it on my SD2SNES and report back!

Also the installer for it is incredible. All you need to do is point to the ROM and the installer downloads the patch, patches it, and even gives you five options for which soundtrack you want to use for the game (I went with "developer's recommendation" though the few remixes I have been able to find by FinalFanTim have been incredible).

I have no idea why that thread only has 4 pages. It should be a thousand pages with everyone of them thanking him profusely for working on this.

d0s posted:

I don't think so, not really sure

e:

I met a lot of cool people there when I was active but on the whole yeah it's a place I got sick of real quick. I'm thinking about going back to making an honest to god website where I put all my scans and other crap

What is the link to your tumblr? I am not really familiar with the site but I checked it out and there's tons of rare stuff (even music stuff I am into) so I would like to check it out.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Light Gun Man posted:

This feels like one of those things where you could buy a month and rip roms out. But I suppose that would be :filez:

Like if I could just give them 5 bucks for a non-DRMed to hell exe file I would, wtf.

If it's the same levels in Disc Station then I guess you could download those and rip/compile them from there.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Don't know how this flew under everyone's radar but the Final Fantasy VI CD audio MSU-1 hack has come out.

It is in beta but I am going to try it on my SD2SNES and report back!

Also the installer for it is incredible. All you need to do is point to the ROM and the installer downloads the patch, patches it, and even gives you five options for which soundtrack you want to use for the game (I went with "developer's recommendation" though the few remixes I have been able to find by FinalFanTim have been incredible).

I have no idea why that thread only has 4 pages. It should be a thousand pages with everyone of them thanking him profusely for working on this.

Did you run the SD2SNES .ips patch fix before running the Dancing Mad installer, or is that part of the automatic install? The installer crashes the instant I select an .ips-patched rom, but runs fine on an unmodified rom.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Yeah, they were inserts in Nintendo Power. Maybe only about one to a few pages were like a newspaper though.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Monitor Burn posted:

Did you run the SD2SNES .ips patch fix before running the Dancing Mad installer, or is that part of the automatic install? The installer crashes the instant I select an .ips-patched rom, but runs fine on an unmodified rom.

I only used an unmodified rom. It doesn't even work with 1.1 version of the rom so definitely no patches.

I have to say though the "developer's options" for the music selection is pretty bad. I recommend going with anything else actually.

We should report bugs to his thread. I'm noticing a lot already.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

TheRedEye posted:

I didn't like Psychic World on the SMS because it was very cookie cutter, but in the original MSX games you explore the map and find secret rooms. Also the first screen in the game you can climb a giant ladder and when you get to the top you see all the levels for the whole game off in the horizon, and that owns. Also the FM music is really good.

Basically it has a lady jumping around killing monsters and finding secret places, and that is my video game aesthetic.

I remember Psychic World from GamePros of the early 1990s. I mentally filed away any cool-looking title with an anime heroine for the heralded time when I would own Sega systems and not just Nintendo fare. I tossed Psychic World among the disappointments once I gave it a whirl, but I guess I should try Psycho World.

http://gdri.smspower.org/wiki/index.php/Hertz

Hertz is an interesting and short-lived company. They handled a lot of ports, but their original games had moments of inspiration.

https://youtu.be/sc65vKaAyy0

Their creative height might be Vay, which has a neat opening (like Krull but with a robot PROGRAMMED ONLY FOR DEATH) that the rest of the story sorta wastes (again like Krull) on clichés and too many dull battles.

The artwork is pretty metal, though.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Tobaccrow posted:

Yeah, they were inserts in Nintendo Power. Maybe only about one to a few pages were like a newspaper though.

This reminds me of this loving thing I got when I saw The Wizard theatrically.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Vay, interesting enough, can be bought on the iPhone.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

FireMrshlBill posted:

Check out BadAssConsoles.com

They have the gcvideo and have a plan to roll out a plug-and-play solution for both component (using Wii cables) and hdmi in the future. However, they are funding development by selling the internal solutions first.

This is exactly what I'm looking for but I'll be damned if I have the know-how to piece one together myself. Guess I just have to hope it goes over well, a plug and play would be a god send.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Does the GCVIDEO require you to own an older GameCube with the specific digital out port, or is it also compatible with the later ones without the port using a case/internal mod?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

fishmech posted:

Does the GCVIDEO require you to own an older GameCube with the specific digital out port, or is it also compatible with the later ones without the port using a case/internal mod?

Yes*, but it's obviously a much more complex installation to do.

*: http://modretro.com/xen/index.php?threads/component-cable-on-dol-101-gamecube.13251/

Instant Sunrise fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 12, 2016

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
My gscartsw was waiting for me when I got home last night :supaburn:

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
I am going to pick up a 14" Sony Trinitron PVM-14M4U later this evening (for $40). I already have the SCART cable that came with my SNES I got from Monitor Burn, so I'll just need to get the SCART to BNC adapter. Should I just go with RetroGamingCables or is there an option here in the States?

Also, for Playstation consoles, just getting composite to BNC connectors works if I have a component/composite cable and just use the composite video for sync? Honestly, it will probably just get used with my Nintendo consoles 90% of the time anyway.

Guess I will need to get the NES and N64 RGB mods now...

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

FireMrshlBill posted:

I am going to pick up a 14" Sony Trinitron PVM-14M4U later this evening (for $40). I already have the SCART cable that came with my SNES I got from Monitor Burn, so I'll just need to get the SCART to BNC adapter. Should I just go with RetroGamingCables or is there an option here in the States?

Also, for Playstation consoles, just getting composite to BNC connectors works if I have a component/composite cable and just use the composite video for sync? Honestly, it will probably just get used with my Nintendo consoles 90% of the time anyway.

Guess I will need to get the NES and N64 RGB mods now...

Yeah, getting composite (well, RCA) to BNC adapters should work. Your PVM should have a dedicated "Video" input (with BNC plugs), which you would use for composite stuff, and the RGB inputs should do double-duty for component so long as you set your PVM to use component/YPbPr mode instead of RGB. Then your green input will receive the sync information that the component video format uses on that color channel, instead of expecting straight up RGB + sync.

As for SCART-to-BNC adapters, the one from RGC would probably be worth getting, or you can try to track down a guy named "daskrabs" at the Shmups or Nintendo Age forums and see if he has any for sale. Don't bother with Ebay if the seller has a name like "wookieewin" or something; I got my first adapter from them and it was dog poo poo, because they didn't do proper grounding on it.

It's been a while since I've received anything from the UK, but I recall being impressed at how quickly stuff I've ordered from there in the past has arrived, and I live both an ocean and whole continent across from it on the west coast of the US. If you live on the Atlantic side of the country, you could probably get an adapter from them pretty quick.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
Mega Drive is one of the systems that never worked properly with my lovely SCART -> BNC fanout cable w/ LM1881, along with MSX, Atari 800, and a few others. They always gave a black screen with rolling diagonal lines and I never cared enough to figure out why since S-Video looked okay. Now that it works fine with the gscartsw I know what system I'll be playing all weekend :3:

IT'S YOU !!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I just wanted to say that anyone with an SNES has to buy the SNES30 and the newly released Bluetooth receiver for it. I updated the firmware to both of them and they work perfectly. It is so, so liberating and cool to be able to play a real SNES with a controller as good as the original but without wires. In game reset with the sd2snes is the ultimate in hedonism.

I tried a ton of different games and all worked perfectly. Absolutely zero lag and recall that I'm the guy constantly bitching that there's too much lag when using wireless controllers on Android.

Also kind of funny is I assumed because the receiver had a micro USB port that it had to be charged. No, it is just in case you want to use it as a receiver on the PC. It actually gets the proper voltage from the SNES, which I was surprised it could do.

So far the receiver is only available on 8bitdo's ebay page. I received it in less than a week.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
8bitdo controllers are loving fantastic, seconded.

I really need one of the classic NES ones.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Code Jockey posted:

8bitdo controllers are loving fantastic, seconded.

I really need one of the classic NES ones.

The only thing holding me back from the NES30 is the four face buttons :spergin:

As it is I'm trying to figure out a way to get the Super Nintendo logo on the controller!

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Elliotw2 posted:

Vay, interesting enough, can be bought on the iPhone.

Fair warning this hasn't been updated in forever and is stuck in the iPhone 4 screen mode. I also believe the company that made it is out of business.

Edit: disregard that I suck dicks. Loaded it for the first time in forever and it displays right on my SE.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Yeah, getting composite (well, RCA) to BNC adapters should work. Your PVM should have a dedicated "Video" input (with BNC plugs), which you would use for composite stuff, and the RGB inputs should do double-duty for component so long as you set your PVM to use component/YPbPr mode instead of RGB. Then your green input will receive the sync information that the component video format uses on that color channel, instead of expecting straight up RGB + sync.

As for SCART-to-BNC adapters, the one from RGC would probably be worth getting, or you can try to track down a guy named "daskrabs" at the Shmups or Nintendo Age forums and see if he has any for sale. Don't bother with Ebay if the seller has a name like "wookieewin" or something; I got my first adapter from them and it was dog poo poo, because they didn't do proper grounding on it.

It's been a while since I've received anything from the UK, but I recall being impressed at how quickly stuff I've ordered from there in the past has arrived, and I live both an ocean and whole continent across from it on the west coast of the US. If you live on the Atlantic side of the country, you could probably get an adapter from them pretty quick.

Just going to order from RGC and wait it out. I am getting this cable to go from my SNES SCART cable to BNC. I was wondering, for playstation I thought I needed a SCART cable with CSYNC and can use the same SCART to BNC adapter above, however on RGC there is no CSYNC drop down option on their web page, only the Luma, even though they say there are options for both. Do they not sell CSYNC anymore or if I don't select luma in the drop down, will they send me one for CSYNC? I fig I'd ask here in case anyone knows and would be quicker than contacting them.

Also, I want to split my signal coming out of my S-video switch box to go to my CRT TV and my PVM, you think this would be decent quality (no signal degradation)? Since it splits to 4 outputs, it would also allow me to connect it to my Elgato game capture HD.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 13, 2016

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I posted a thing about New Retro Arcade Neon in the VR thread over here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3777359&pagenumber=58#post463134193

It's gimmick is mostly a VR front end for a lovely arcade that you can hook up emulators in, but it does really have a cool retro arcade feel to it and it plays out of VR as well, so I thought maybe some folks in this thread might want to check it out. It's super buggy and requires a lot of tinkering to set up, but the feel of having a bunch of retro games in an arcade setting where you can play music in the background and have that ambiance is pretty drat cool.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

My "genius" solution to the rare quiet audio issue I was seeing with my NESRGB. After determining that the original mono audio jack was still producing sound at normal volume levels when the NESRGB went silent, I just had to throw in a Y-adapter to go from RCA mono to RCA stereo and then another Y-adapter to go from RCA stereo to 3.5mm and thus have it work with the SCART cable. I originally went with a straight up mono RCA to 3.5mm but apparently that grounds out the right channel on the 3.5mm side so I was only getting sound out of one speaker.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

While my CRT has pretty good image quality, I'm getting just a bit frustrated with the geometry issues (which are apparently something this particular model is known for) and have decided to just get a scaler. Is there anything decent that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, or do I just skip paying rent next month and buy a Framemeister?

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

FireMrshlBill posted:

Just going to order from RGC and wait it out. I am getting this cable to go from my SNES SCART cable to BNC. I was wondering, for playstation I thought I needed a SCART cable with CSYNC and can use the same SCART to BNC adapter above, however on RGC there is no CSYNC drop down option on their web page, only the Luma, even though they say there are options for both. Do they not sell CSYNC anymore or if I don't select luma in the drop down, will they send me one for CSYNC? I fig I'd ask here in case anyone knows and would be quicker than contacting them.

Also, I want to split my signal coming out of my S-video switch box to go to my CRT TV and my PVM, you think this would be decent quality (no signal degradation)? Since it splits to 4 outputs, it would also allow me to connect it to my Elgato game capture HD.

My experience with Playstation anything is kind of limited, I hate to say - I've only tried my PS2 with component video out. If they don't make them with CSYNC anymore or have them in immediate stock, you could always drop a line to Retro Console Accessories and look at a custom cable.

For your S-Video question, are you talking about driving two+ displays at the same time, from the same signal? Your PVM should offer the ability to run its S-Video input back out again (I've done it with composite video), if you just wanted to use your PVM and capture device. Otherwise, that Radio Shack device would probably be fine?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Doc Morbid posted:

While my CRT has pretty good image quality, I'm getting just a bit frustrated with the geometry issues (which are apparently something this particular model is known for) and have decided to just get a scaler. Is there anything decent that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, or do I just skip paying rent next month and buy a Framemeister?

You get a better CRT :smugdog:

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

Only Shallow posted:

Mega Drive is one of the systems that never worked properly with my lovely SCART -> BNC fanout cable w/ LM1881, along with MSX, Atari 800, and a few others. They always gave a black screen with rolling diagonal lines and I never cared enough to figure out why since S-Video looked okay. Now that it works fine with the gscartsw I know what system I'll be playing all weekend :3:

IT'S YOU !!

That IIDX empress tapestry is :allears:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

URL grey tea posted:

That IIDX empress tapestry is :allears:

Seeeeriously I want to steal everything in that photo

especially the box of 3.5" disks at the bottom

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

For a second I thought you just went mono to stereo, then back stereo to mono again. I'm sure that setup exists somewhere in the world and has solved a problem.

I ordered parts for a RetroPie yesterday. Should be a fun project. I hope I can get my preferred controller solution to work, which is a Wii Classic controller connected via a lovely, like really lovely USB adapter that Windows won't recognize if it's plugged in on startup. You have to start Windows, the plug in the adapter, and only then plug in the controller. Probably that's the less fun part.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001

Doc Morbid posted:

Is it a Sony Trinitron? If you have the remote you can get into the service menu and fix the geometry directly.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Monitor Burn posted:

Is it a Sony Trinitron? If you have the remote you can get into the service menu and fix the geometry directly.
No, it's a Panasonic Quintrix. I have spent far too much time in the service menu already and tried to fix things, but the crux of the problem is that the TV tries to automatically adjust the image settings based on what's onscreen at any given moment (not to be confused with the dynamic aspect ratio thing, which is obviously turned off) and you can constantly see the image slightly adjusting itself, using your service menu settings as a guideline at most. This also means settings that are good for one game will look like utter poo poo on another, or even the menus in the same game might look screwed up.

I thought this was all just me loving something up with the settings because I'm a moron, but nope, it appears to be a thing with these. At least it was free and has served me all right for the last three years (and the actual picture quality is excellent), but I feel like it's about time for a change.

edit: The issues are more noticeable in 16:9, but since I rarely play widescreen stuff on this TV it's not as quite bad as it could be.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Aug 13, 2016

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

FYI all 16:9 CRTs like that are almost just as bad as plasma/LCDs at displaying SD 4:3 content, any normal SD CRT will be a huge improvement not just geometry wise but in picture quality as well

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001

Doc Morbid posted:

the crux of the problem is that the TV tries to automatically adjust the image settings based on what's onscreen at any given moment (not to be confused with the dynamic aspect ratio thing, which is obviously turned off) and you can constantly see the image slightly adjusting itself

:stare:
You were able to deal with that for 3 years? That would have driven me nuts in less than an hour.

Yeah I'll also make the suggestion to replace that TV with a standard 4:3 SD CRT like an early 00's Trinitron. "EDTVs" that came out between the SD and HDTV era are terrible at displaying anything besides 480p, pretty much. Give it a try before dropping $300 on an upscaler anyway, the draw of an old CRT is supposed to be that it "just works" and doesn't require changing your settings every time you connect a new system.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I remember around 2012 being frustrated viewing my Wii in SD on my Wega and blurry 480P on my LCD, went on Craigslist and found this huge Toshiba 16:9 CRT for free excitedly thinking I was going to be able to get rid of both TVs. It took me and 2 of my friends to get it into my apartment, I convinced myself that it was good for about a month before realizing I was deluding myself and gave it to a TV-less friend, good thing I kept my normal TVs

e: has anyone else noticed that this is one of the few hardware-centered hobbies where you're not constantly chasing upgrades beyond a few really simple things? like once you get RGB out on a halfway decent CRT or upscaler you're pretty much done forever and don't have to worry that you're missing out on some higher level of quality or whatever. I'm also into photography and people go nuts sinking absurd amounts of money into upgrades that seem neverending, it's pretty much a cliche with anything audio related, even watching things like EEVblog there are dudes regularly shelling out thousands for better scopes and multimeters and poo poo.

d0s fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Aug 13, 2016

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I just wanted to say that anyone with an SNES has to buy the SNES30 and the newly released Bluetooth receiver for it. I updated the firmware to both of them and they work perfectly. It is so, so liberating and cool to be able to play a real SNES with a controller as good as the original but without wires. In game reset with the sd2snes is the ultimate in hedonism.

I tried a ton of different games and all worked perfectly. Absolutely zero lag and recall that I'm the guy constantly bitching that there's too much lag when using wireless controllers on Android.

Also kind of funny is I assumed because the receiver had a micro USB port that it had to be charged. No, it is just in case you want to use it as a receiver on the PC. It actually gets the proper voltage from the SNES, which I was surprised it could do.

So far the receiver is only available on 8bitdo's ebay page. I received it in less than a week.

I'm interested in this.
How are you resetting the sd2snes from the pad exactly? I have the 8bitdo pad but haven't shelled for the wireless yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Monitor Burn posted:

:stare:
You were able to deal with that for 3 years? That would have driven me nuts in less than an hour.
Eh, in 4:3 it's barely noticeable during gameplay and I got used to it pretty quickly. If you set H-Amp high enough in the service menu you won't really notice it in 16:9 either, but if you do that everything on the sides of the screen becomes fat as gently caress while the center stays as it is, making any kind of scrolling image look absolutely horrifying. :gonk:

I guess I'm gonna look for a better CRT, then. I do still want to get a Framemeister at some point.

• Locked thread