Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

hemophilia posted:

Hey, so I've had this game since last October, and I just got horizons recently. Landing on planets is sorta neat I guess. Sucks how limited the ones I can land on are... but I'm in a Viper MKIII and only begrudgingly gave up my Eagle as I do want to actually be able to kill bigger and better things now that the AI is capable of cheating its way to a fair fight.

I don't play a lot, mostly because I'm not used to games that go "here's a ship, here'es the entire loving milky way galaxy simulated for your pleasure", and I really don't know what to do. I can kill things. The few times I go online I can even kill people! but I have no idea what to do.

Right now I've mostly just resolved to get Sol access as a goal, but I have a friend who is strongly encouraging me to say gently caress That poo poo, leave the 'bubble' and roam the cosmos endlessly putting my nasty stamp on stars and naming piss-worlds after people.

I like combat but seriously, what the gently caress do I do? Is there a faster way to get better combat gear than slowly trolling for bounties supplemented by the occasional mission (when they're available?)

How are you looking for bounties? Hitting up RES sites is the fastest way to do it, along with compromised nav beacons (make sure you have zero cargo for those though, unless you want an army of pirates shootings lasers up your rear end). But the fastest way to make money for upgrades is to go to a far-off system like Sothis or Ceos, and take a bunch of long-range delivery missions. I'm pretty sure frontier hasn't killed that yet, and you can make tens of millions of credits per hour. And on the several-hundred light year trip over there you can try out exploring and see if it you like it. It's pretty boring unless you really like space or have something else to do at the same time, but you do find some cool things here and there and it feels good to get stuff named after you...and then you eventually get access to certain engineers, and you also get paid, which is always nice, even if it's nothing compared to trading or bounty hunting.

Rah! fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Aug 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Rah! posted:

How are you looking for bounties? Hitting up RES sites is the fastest way to do it, along with compromised nav beacons (make sure you have zero cargo for those though, unless you want an army of pirates shootings lasers up your rear end). But the fastest way to make money for upgrades is to go to a far-off system like Sothis or Ceos, and take a bunch of long-range delivery missions. I'm pretty sure frontier hasn't killed that yet, and you can make tens of millions of credits per hour. And on the several-hundred light year trip over there you can try out exploring and see if it you like it. It's pretty boring unless you really like space or have something else to do at the same time, but you do find some cool things here and there and it feels good to get stuff named after you...and then you eventually get access to certain engineers, and you also get paid, which is always nice, even if it's nothing compared to trading or bounty hunting.

I usually go into a system, dock up at a station or two to see if there's missions to kill dudes. These usually aren't numerous, but then I go around supercruising that system or wherever the mission sends me and i scan literally everything and interdict anything with a bounty big enough to justify my time.

I've also hung out at nav beacons, but not compromised ones yet, i'll have to give that a shot.

I really don't like the idea of space hauling. I played Eve with goons for a few years so I know all the joy of hauling poo poo in space and it mostly makes me want to blow my brains out.

I know it pays the bills the best and all but I just cannot afford the sheer amount of weed I would need to be entertained doing long distance trading

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

That sounds terrible dude. Get a cobra or viper and load it up with shields and two or so guns. Find a 'major reserves" or "pristine reserves" not-Ice ring with a high RES site (not low or hazardous) near a station. I've used 89 Leonis and it works but there's literally probably one next door to wherever you are. Go to the site and find big ships with big bounties.

Now here is the important steps. 1, have no wanted level and nothing in your cargo so they NPCs don't shoot you. 2, wait for the local police to wear your target down to no shields and their hull is getting scraped away. 3, empty your guns into the target until it is dead.

You will probably get shot a bit by the target as it dies but if you start to shoot it around 50% of its hull it will die so quick it won't matter. Have 4 pips to sys to keep your shields resistant. You'll whore the entire bounty profit. You'll make millions. You'll notice pretty quick that whoring kills is extremely profitable and as long as you follow step 1 and only shoot wanted ships as they are dying you will literally never get shot by an NPC even if you are staring them in the face the whole time.

Easiest mistake to make: not watching your shots. If a police ship flies in front of you and takes one of your bullets you will get a bounty and the entire RES will fall upon you and you will die. So just be a bit careful on that part.

Blind Rasputin fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Aug 10, 2016

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Blind Rasputin posted:

That sounds terrible dude. Get a cobra or viper and load it up with shields and two or so guns. Find a 'major reserves" or "pristine reserves" not-Ice ring with a high RES site (not low or hazardous) near a station. I've used 89 Leonis and it works but there's literally probably one next door to wherever you are. Go to the site and find big ships with big bounties.

Now here is the important steps. 1, have no wanted level and nothing in your cargo so they NPCs don't shoot you. 2, wait for the local police to wear your target down to no shields and their hull is getting scraped away. 3, empty your guns into the target until it is dead.

You will probably get shot a bit by the target as it dies but if you start to shoot it around 50% of its hull it will die so quick it won't matter. Have 4 pips to sys to keep your shields resistant. You'll whore the entire bounty profit. You'll make millions. You'll notice pretty quick that whoring kills is extremely profitable and as long as you follow step 1 and only shoot wanted ships as they are dying you will literally never get shot by an NPC even if you are staring them in the face the whole time.

Easiest mistake to make: not watching your shots. If a police ship flies in front of you and takes one of your bullets you will get a bounty and the entire RES will fall upon you and you will die. So just be a bit careful on that part.

I pretty much gimball laser it. I guess that's probably wrong too? I just spent a whole lot of time learning to maneuver and fly in a way that i can dogfight solo and i really needed weapons i didn't have to count ammo or loving aim with because when you're new in this game you are also the worst player in the game.

but with gimball lasers, if you accidentally shoot literally anything but your target... I just don't know man.

Anyway, i've whored on kills like this at nav beacons and yeah it pays, i'll have to check out the res sights

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I now have two large heavily modded multi-cannons on my vulture and an anaconda's shield and power plant melts in about 1.5 mags. It's the only way to roll.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Crossposting from the PGS thread here, because I know we have new/returning folks who might not know what the Diamond Frogs do in the game!

Here's the story how we made, and destroyed, an entire player group over the most petty thing imaginable:

Emperor's Grace Part One: Shadowgars of Morons

Emperor's Grace Part Two: I'm in ur base killin ur dudes, like, for a month now. Maybe you guys, uh, should come here and do something? Anything?!

And here, for the first time, the mostly finished but continuing saga of the Paladin Consortium, from back in March:

Paladin TL;DR Edition

Kermit Laphroaig posted:

Tonight was a night of tears, anyone can private message me for the official unofficial story.

So far the tally is 5 dead and 20 million in allied re-buys and uh, that's it.

Paladin Prelude: In Which We Ruin a Super Bowl Party

Paladin Part One: Zeroc00l the Scoop-Braking PvP God

Paladin Part Two: Scheduled for Spontaneous Death

Paladin Part Three: The Darling Zebra Incident

Paladin Part Four: What You Call "Massacre" We Call "Training"

Paladin Part Five: "im coming to you for leadership."

Paladin Part Six: Turnabout Dunk Court

Paladin Part Seven: Confronted by a Literal 15-Year Old

Paladin Part Seven Point Five: The Conspiracy Foiled, Roll Credits

Please note how much smaller my newer storytimes are. The Paladin Saga kept topping itself as I was writing it, and I had a wealth of material too good not to share!

My next storytime will be up in a day or two: Adle's Armada: Fact or Fiction? (Fiction)

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Literally Kermit posted:

Crossposting from the PGS thread here, because I know we have new/returning folks who might not know what the Diamond Frogs do in the game!

Here's the story how we made, and destroyed, an entire player group over the most petty thing imaginable:

Emperor's Grace Part One: Shadowgars of Morons

Emperor's Grace Part Two: I'm in ur base killin ur dudes, like, for a month now. Maybe you guys, uh, should come here and do something? Anything?!

Hey guys, this is A+ Good Stuff with some juicy logs and reddit-trolling. You should really read it.
:five:

DF is bringing the goonfear back to space.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Hey guys, this is A+ Good Stuff with some juicy logs and reddit-trolling. You should really read it.
:five:

DF is bringing the goonfear back to space.

Let's not kid ourselves, we were going to bring that into the game no matter what we did, even if we did nothing at all. People are still that scared of goons.

In both cases, at least we reacted to instead of instigated poo poo. The EG got upset because we wouldn't use their TS, and one of the Paladins actively harassed one of us in chat (the real cause of our initial retribution) and several others actually formed a conspiracy to frame goons for support fraud because they were afraid we were getting too friendly and influential with their leadership.

Our best "trolling" is when we genuinely do nice and positive things for the game (such as the GalCop Reels) and run legit charities (for tree frogs!) and people still tear themselves and others apart bracing themselves for the other shoe to drop.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Eve has this distinction of being the sole lovely space game for a long time. Basically from its launch to a cpuple of years ago it was the only lasting game set in space that wasnt now decades old.

So when goons went into that game and turned it into their despotic playground, they left a lasting, damaging imprint on the sci fi sandbox community.

Mal'Ganis goons and second life goons didnt help. But when you play as a goon in a space game, you take on the mantle of goonfleet whether or not you even know about goonfleet. It's funny and also depressing that poo poo of course came to Elite

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

hemophilia posted:

I pretty much gimball laser it. I guess that's probably wrong too? I just spent a whole lot of time learning to maneuver and fly in a way that i can dogfight solo and i really needed weapons i didn't have to count ammo or loving aim with because when you're new in this game you are also the worst player in the game.

but with gimball lasers, if you accidentally shoot literally anything but your target... I just don't know man.

Anyway, i've whored on kills like this at nav beacons and yeah it pays, i'll have to check out the res sights

Don't worry about hitting cop ships toooo much. Just be a little careful. If you see a ship in the way, move out of the way. And most importantly: Do not open fire until you have finished scanning your target and you see the big red WANTED text under their name.

Also Gimballed weapons are perfectly fine. Turrets are fine. Fixed is fine. Everything is fine. As long as you kill your target at the end of the fight, you're fine.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

The only thing that isn't fine is when mission targets (almost always Anacondas for some reason) just stop taking damage once they reach 15% armour, and you have to coax some other party to hurt them before the game catches on that, oh yeah, these things should break when you blow them up. :argh:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

hemophilia posted:

Eve has this distinction of being the sole lovely space game for a long time. Basically from its launch to a cpuple of years ago it was the only lasting game set in space that wasnt now decades old.

So when goons went into that game and turned it into their despotic playground, they left a lasting, damaging imprint on the sci fi sandbox community.

Mal'Ganis goons and second life goons didnt help. But when you play as a goon in a space game, you take on the mantle of goonfleet whether or not you even know about goonfleet. It's funny and also depressing that poo poo of course came to Elite

And even better, goonfleet itself now looks down on us because we aren't as edgy as we once were and because SA didn't answer the call to arms when they got their poo poo pushed in this year.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
:siren: Imperial Explorer :siren:

Exploration time! There's one thing I wanted to do since the end of 2014, when I started playing the game: Visiting the other side of the galaxy, with a huge gently caress-off ship. (The last part was optional, since back then I never saw myself actually getting enough money for the larger ships.)

Last time, just a couple of months before Engineers dropped, I launched myself into the deep empty void of space with an Anaconda.

I even payed money to give it a nice marine blue paintjob instead of the standard boring one!

Of course around that time I burned out a little and played other games for a while. When I came back to playing, Engineers dropped and I wanted to and get some mods. For my Anaconda. Well, the engineers turned out to be a lot of work, so I instead changed to my trusty old Asp and travelled around the bubble, doing missions, collecting materials, unlocking engineers and so on.

Fun fact: I don't actually use the golden paintjob that often.

Over the last weekend I finally had enough from my progression in slow-motion and bruteforced myself to play 11 hours over Saturday and Sunday to get all the mats I had typed down in my excel-spreadsheet. And I only finished because I dialed down my planned engineer mods multiple times! But hey, at least when I want to this again, I know have multiple engineers at grade 4 and 5. (I totally forgot to give Cheung his gold, though. I decided a couple of hours more sleep were more important then supplying that greedy gently caress with 200t of gold just to get higher grade shields.)

And over the course of this week, with 1-2 hours a day every evening, I went around with my Imperial Cutter, engineered everything I needed and deposited the ship back close to our home in Elite. The only thing left is going around with a small, fast ship to collect money from two CGs running out tomorrow, then I'll do the stupidest thing possible and try to reach Jaques' station with 19t Osmium I had left over after mining Samarium for my thruster-upgrades before the second CG over there runs out. (The mining one. They want Osmium.)

After that, the obligatory visit to the core and from there, the other side of the galaxy. On the still mostly unexplored part. The one opposite from Beagle Point.

In terms of upgrades and numbers, the Heleophryne Regis (official name) is actually completely different from what you can see in that link above. The list of changes I made:

- FSD 5 upgrade, of course. I got lucky on the first roll with close to max range bonus and very mild drawbacks. All other rolls had atrocious range bonus or drawbacks. The RNG obviously is a little joker.

- The 5D power distributor looks like it's too weak to give the Cutter a boost, but actually I gave it a grade 3 engine-focused mod. Multiple rolls gave me a distributor with actually slightly higher engine capacity than the 6D and a lot higher engine regen. The drawbacks are again minimized by me re-rolling a couple times to get them down.

- As you can see on Coriolis, a 5A power plant is far too small to supply all that poo poo I packed onto my Cutter, so of course it got overcharged. Thanks to Qwent I got a grade 3 overcharge I was satisfied with: Now the power plant is slightly worse at heat dispersal, but has enough juice to supply everything minus one of my two AFMs. For a pure explorer that's almost overkill!

- A lot of Samarium was mined so I could give my ship the best grade 2 clean thruster tuning available. The 8D-thrusters are now a little bit stronger, need a little bit more power and are running so loving cold my ship is actually running cooler then without mods. The giant loving thrusters running cooler more than offset my slightly hotter power plant. This was a nice surprise!

- Since my thrusters were using more juice now, I had planned in advance to give my ship low-power shields to compensate. Low-power shields are generally lighter and use less power. If you're lucky, you sometimes even get slightly stronger shields! In this case, I got a grade 3 mod for my class 8D-shields. Total overkill, but hey, I want to land on planets sometimes and with a fat whale like the Cutter I like to feel safe. The secondary effects moved shield res a bit around, making my ship slightly better against explosive and kinetic weapons, but slightly worse against thermal ones. Also the shields have some more HP now, so they're basically better all around.

- After the important part, I went around and modded my weapons: Grade 3 light weight for everything! A lot of mass was saved, without much DPS loss.

- Just for shits and giggles (not really, it was grinding Liz Ryder to unlock grade 3 upgrades) I added an level 1 light-weight armor mod. All resistances went up a little and the multiple re-rolls allowed me to cheat like a motherfucker until I got not only better res, but also a couple percent more raw hull HP.

After all was done, I now have an Imperial Cutter with a whopping 31,9 ly/jump range, even though it is still rather heavily armed and has a huge shield. It's also faster, more durable, can boost like a motherfucker and can refill its fuel tank in less time than it takes me to move that giant space pig around.

Now it's done. Finally. Tomorrow. No turning back now. The Void is waiting.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 10, 2016

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Frogspeed, goon sir.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Fdl is great for blowing up poo poo. Not so much for grinding space engies. What ship should I build for that sort of thing?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Thronde posted:

Fdl is great for blowing up poo poo. Not so much for grinding space engies. What ship should I build for that sort of thing?

Asp or Python, depending on how much you want to do things in bulk.

There's a lot of stuff you can only get through missions, and a fair amount you can only get through planet exploration. You will need that FdL (or some other murderboat… you could do that too in the Asp/Python) to collect tons of base materials, but with the new triple collection rate, that part is pretty quick and painless. You might even need to do some mining, if you pick the “wrong” upgrades to go for, which both ships will let you do with little modification. The rest you can just get off the market.

The reason I say Asp or Python is because, for the actual level grind part, you'll probably want to do a fair amount of travelling to good spots, to the engineers to unload your cargo hold on a new tier of upgrades, or to just do the whole unlock collection for a few of them. So fast travel and plentiful internal compartments will save you a lot of work.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf
A properly fit python can do literally everything you need for Engineers, including blowing poo poo up and CZs.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
So I made it to Sadr, and there being a massive white giant or whatever there that was still blindingly bright from 30,000ls was pretty neat.

Anything else neat out there?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

MisterZimbu posted:

So I made it to Sadr, and there being a massive white giant or whatever there that was still blindingly bright from 30,000ls was pretty neat.

Anything else neat out there?

VY Canis majoris. Makes you understand how loving small you are once you realize the distances. At 5000 ls from the star you are frying, at 10,000 ls it looks bigger than most other stars, and it's still easily discernable as a giant ball of fire from over 300,000 ls away.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 10, 2016

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Say I have an engineer mod equipped on a component and roll for another of the same mod. The blue/red bars are smaller. Are the sliders and percentage changes showing me the resultant benefits over my current mod, or just the changes from a baseline unmodded component?

timn
Mar 16, 2010
It shows the difference from your current modded stats. But be careful to keep an eye on the secondary effects too.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Libluini posted:

:siren: Imperial Explorer :siren:

Exploration time! There's one thing I wanted to do since the end of 2014, when I started playing the game: Visiting the other side of the galaxy, with a huge gently caress-off ship. (The last part was optional, since back then I never saw myself actually getting enough money for the larger ships.)

Last time, just a couple of months before Engineers dropped, I launched myself into the deep empty void of space with an Anaconda.

I even payed money to give it a nice marine blue paintjob instead of the standard boring one!

Of course around that time I burned out a little and played other games for a while. When I came back to playing, Engineers dropped and I wanted to and get some mods. For my Anaconda. Well, the engineers turned out to be a lot of work, so I instead changed to my trusty old Asp and travelled around the bubble, doing missions, collecting materials, unlocking engineers and so on.

Fun fact: I don't actually use the golden paintjob that often.

Over the last weekend I finally had enough from my progression in slow-motion and bruteforced myself to play 11 hours over Saturday and Sunday to get all the mats I had typed down in my excel-spreadsheet. And I only finished because I dialed down my planned engineer mods multiple times! But hey, at least when I want to this again, I know have multiple engineers at grade 4 and 5. (I totally forgot to give Cheung his gold, though. I decided a couple of hours more sleep were more important then supplying that greedy gently caress with 200t of gold just to get higher grade shields.)

And over the course of this week, with 1-2 hours a day every evening, I went around with my Imperial Cutter, engineered everything I needed and deposited the ship back close to our home in Elite. The only thing left is going around with a small, fast ship to collect money from two CGs running out tomorrow, then I'll do the stupidest thing possible and try to reach Jaques' station with 19t Osmium I had left over after mining Samarium for my thruster-upgrades before the second CG over there runs out. (The mining one. They want Osmium.)

After that, the obligatory visit to the core and from there, the other side of the galaxy. On the still mostly unexplored part. The one opposite from Beagle Point.

In terms of upgrades and numbers, the Heleophryne Regis (official name) is actually completely different from what you can see in that link above. The list of changes I made:

- FSD 5 upgrade, of course. I got lucky on the first roll with close to max range bonus and very mild drawbacks. All other rolls had atrocious range bonus or drawbacks. The RNG obviously is a little joker.

- The 5D power distributor looks like it's too weak to give the Cutter a boost, but actually I gave it a grade 3 engine-focused mod. Multiple rolls gave me a distributor with actually slightly higher engine capacity than the 6D and a lot higher engine regen. The drawbacks are again minimized by me re-rolling a couple times to get them down.

- As you can see on Coriolis, a 5A power plant is far too small to supply all that poo poo I packed onto my Cutter, so of course it got overcharged. Thanks to Qwent I got a grade 3 overcharge I was satisfied with: Now the power plant is slightly worse at heat dispersal, but has enough juice to supply everything minus one of my two AFMs. For a pure explorer that's almost overkill!

- A lot of Samarium was mined so I could give my ship the best grade 2 clean thruster tuning available. The 8D-thrusters are now a little bit stronger, need a little bit more power and are running so loving cold my ship is actually running cooler then without mods. The giant loving thrusters running cooler more than offset my slightly hotter power plant. This was a nice surprise!

- Since my thrusters were using more juice now, I had planned in advance to give my ship low-power shields to compensate. Low-power shields are generally lighter and use less power. If you're lucky, you sometimes even get slightly stronger shields! In this case, I got a grade 3 mod for my class 8D-shields. Total overkill, but hey, I want to land on planets sometimes and with a fat whale like the Cutter I like to feel safe. The secondary effects moved shield res a bit around, making my ship slightly better against explosive and kinetic weapons, but slightly worse against thermal ones. Also the shields have some more HP now, so they're basically better all around.

- After the important part, I went around and modded my weapons: Grade 3 light weight for everything! A lot of mass was saved, without much DPS loss.

- Just for shits and giggles (not really, it was grinding Liz Ryder to unlock grade 3 upgrades) I added an level 1 light-weight armor mod. All resistances went up a little and the multiple re-rolls allowed me to cheat like a motherfucker until I got not only better res, but also a couple percent more raw hull HP.

After all was done, I now have an Imperial Cutter with a whopping 31,9 ly/jump range, even though it is still rather heavily armed and has a huge shield. It's also faster, more durable, can boost like a motherfucker and can refill its fuel tank in less time than it takes me to move that giant space pig around.

Now it's done. Finally. Tomorrow. No turning back now. The Void is waiting.

Congratulations! That's a hell of an undertaking. I hope to do the same someday, but I'm not sure I have the patience.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Can I still gain ranks and influence in the opposing faction if I signed up with one of the leaders in powerplay?

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

Asp or Python, depending on how much you want to do things in bulk.

There's a lot of stuff you can only get through missions, and a fair amount you can only get through planet exploration. You will need that FdL (or some other murderboat… you could do that too in the Asp/Python) to collect tons of base materials, but with the new triple collection rate, that part is pretty quick and painless. You might even need to do some mining, if you pick the “wrong” upgrades to go for, which both ships will let you do with little modification. The rest you can just get off the market.

The reason I say Asp or Python is because, for the actual level grind part, you'll probably want to do a fair amount of travelling to good spots, to the engineers to unload your cargo hold on a new tier of upgrades, or to just do the whole unlock collection for a few of them. So fast travel and plentiful internal compartments will save you a lot of work.

Thanks, I got rid of my python for the fdl. May switch back, but with the new ai the python suuuuuucks in combat. I was getting my rear end handed to me nonstop trying to get parts at a simple checkpoint.

Also gently caress having to manually scoop this poo poo. Give me a loving tractor beam module.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Thronde posted:

Thanks, I got rid of my python for the fdl. May switch back, but with the new ai the python suuuuuucks in combat. I was getting my rear end handed to me nonstop trying to get parts at a simple checkpoint.

Also gently caress having to manually scoop this poo poo. Give me a loving tractor beam module.

Isn't there a limpet system that lets you tractor in objects? It's been awhile since I used them.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Met posted:

Isn't there a limpet system that lets you tractor in objects? It's been awhile since I used them.

There is, but it suffers from being either pretty slow or very cargo hungry (a single limpet will do the job, but it'll take ages; multiple limpets means you need to fill your cargo hold with more limpets); from being either inefficient or slot hungry (want three limpets in the air? that'll be a class-5 slot or two slots if you don't have that); and from being ridiculously heavy.

If you're going mining, then it won't matter because you'll be flying a whale anyway, but for a combat ship that's hunting NPCs to collect materials, it's… questionable. Doubly so since you'll soon want to be rather specific in what you pick up and what you leave behind, so you might as well do it manually anyway.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Jimbot posted:

Can I still gain ranks and influence in the opposing faction if I signed up with one of the leaders in powerplay?
Signing up with Aisling or Torval won't prevent you from grinding out federal navy ranks so you can buy a FAS, if that's what you're asking.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

one planet was recently discovered to have a mountain so high that you can ramp your buggy off it into orbit.

Rad. Got a link?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Eyud posted:

Rad. Got a link?

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/272526-That-is-one-huge-mountain-Nervi-System-(pics)

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Still having a really lovely time trying to kill stuff in a res in my FDL. I think I might need to engineer upgrade it because there's poo poo I just can't out turn. Figured out you can strafe around anacondas, then took on a python and could barely keep from directly in front of it. Had to run from that one.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Something has to be wrong if you can't out-turnfight a Python in an FDL. Even the new AI has trouble making the wonky slow but also drift-reluctant flight model work in a dogfight. You should be able to just leave your throttle in the blue zone and pull up.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

timn posted:

Something has to be wrong if you can't out-turnfight a Python in an FDL. Even the new AI has trouble making the wonky slow but also drift-reluctant flight model work in a dogfight. You should be able to just leave your throttle in the blue zone and pull up.

I know! It seems to happen especially when they get distance on me. I think they're going fa-off and drifting away, turning to face me then reversing while strafing up or down. I don't seem to be able to catch up fast enough to overshoot them before they line me up. I'll record a fight some time and you guys can tell me wtf

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

:sax:
Aside from an asp explorer (already got one) , what is the next step for a good exploration ship after the dback? like is there a middle ground, between that and the anaconda?

Complaint Compilation fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 12, 2016

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

PoorMoralCompass posted:

Aside from an asp explorer (already got one) , what is the next step for a good exploration ship after the dback? like is there a middle ground, between that and the anaconda?

The AspE is about as good as it gets for exploration.

jnnnnn
May 31, 2013

MEL

hemophilia posted:

I like combat but seriously, what the gently caress do I do? Is there a faster way to get better combat gear than slowly trolling for bounties supplemented by the occasional mission (when they're available?)

Yeah, find a system at war.

If:
- you are Allied (maximum reputation) with a faction
- that faction is at war, and
- you have a decent combat rank (not totally sure if this makes a difference?)
then:
the factions involved in the war will give kill-80-enemy-ships-for-8M-bucks missions. This pays about the same as a RES with a kill warrant scanner but is more of a challenge -- you have to keep an eye on the radar to make sure you (1) are staying near high-level friendly ships and (2) don't get swallowed by a cloud of enemies. It's also better in other ways -- you don't have to scan anyone (because once you declare a side all the enemies go red), and there are always lots of targets.

Sometimes you can stack the missions so that each kill counts for all the missions you have in progress.

The best way to make sure you usually have a warzone to visit is to get allied with several large factions -- I think a fun way to do that might be bounty hunting in their systems?

It's definitely worth getting even a low-level FSD range mod on your combat ship though, to make traveling slightly less painful.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

jnnnnn posted:

Sometimes you can stack the missions so that each kill counts for all the missions you have in progress.

I don't know if it depends on the missions you take, but the last time I tried this, it seemed like that behaviour had been patched out: it only “filled up” the meter on one mission at a time.

Maybe it does that if you get the mission that are exactly the same — offered by the same faction against the same faction — and it'll count differently if you manage to pick up missions from a set of different factions?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

PoorMoralCompass posted:

The progression is basically Hauler->Cobra->DBE->AspE/Anaconda. Anaconda can get a bit better jump range, but the Asp is so much cheaper and nicer to fly in general (plus engineer mods can easily make up for any potential range deficiencies) that I think most tend to stick with it.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Helter Skelter posted:

The progression is basically Hauler->Cobra->DBE->AspE/Anaconda. Anaconda can get a bit better jump range, but the Asp is so much cheaper and nicer to fly in general (plus engineer mods can easily make up for any potential range deficiencies) that I think most tend to stick with it.

Pretty much. The main reason to go with an Anaconda is that you can bring more stuff to offer better redundancy — more AFMUs, more scarabs, more heat sinks etc. You pay for it in cash and in the ship having the frameshift agility of a beached whale.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

PoorMoralCompass posted:

:lol: Middle ground, be happy you can now patch up other ship's FSD to create some low-tier explorers for the inevitable time when you're fed up with the Asp two years from now.

Also what the others said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
What's the max jump range you can engineer into an exploraconda?

• Locked thread