Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, the ~5 million refugees about 20 years ago never happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Private Speech posted:

It's pretty much the same as Trump saying that "Mexicans are rapists, thieves ... and some I assume are good people!" and using that as argument to cut off any immigration from Mexico into the US. There's literally zero reason whatsoever (beyond "common sense") to think that ISIS and other assorted loons would find it harder to perpetrate attacks if the borders were closed, given that they haven't really even used the fact that the borders are open right now in any of their attacks so far.

...I mean yeah some of them did travel to Syria but unless you think we have open borders with Syria (spoilers: we don't) or are trying to claim they came in as refugees, well, I dunno.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...5415_story.html

quote:

The vast majority of migrants were genuinely fleeing war and poverty. But over the past six months, more than three dozen suspected militants who impersonated migrants have been arrested or died while planning or carrying out acts of terrorism. They include at least seven directly tied to the bloody attacks in Paris and Brussels.

quote:

In early September, just a few weeks before the four men landed on Leros, they were invited to attend a secret meeting in a central Syrian city controlled by the Islamic State.

Two of them — the ones who would blow themselves up outside the Stade de France — were later glorified in an Islamic State video as unnamed militants from Iraq. The other two men, both round-faced and lightly bearded, were Mohamed Usman, a Pakistani who claims to be 23 years old, and Adel Haddadi, a 28-year-old Algerian.

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Aug 12, 2016

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The Insect Court posted:

This isn't really true and it's not true because America has had to integrate massive waves of new immigrant populations over its history and Europeans nations as a whole have not.

- If Germans and Poles are not counted as foreigners in Switzerland then I'm not counting Italians and Mexicans in the US either. You see, for an arbitrary definition of "foreign born", every country in the world has at the same time more and also less foreigners than any other country in the world. :ssh:

- If you want to bring history into that whole discussion for some reason, it's not going to look much better for the US either. Germany did the Huguenots, the Slavs, the Huns, some Romans and also Neanderthals. All are now peaceful, integrated parts of the Federal Republic of Germany. Proud model Germans.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

waitwhatno posted:

- If Germans and Poles are not counted as foreigners in Switzerland then I'm not counting Italians and Mexicans in the US either. You see, for an arbitrary definition of "foreign born", every country in the world has at the same time more and also less foreigners than any other country in the world. :ssh:

Yes, truly the Poles are why they banned minarets.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Huh. But still, unless we refused all refugees from the region it would be hard to stop anyone using that route into europe - and inevitably there are other routes as well, particularly when the terrorists have fake ids etc. as these did.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

computer parts posted:

But can we at least agree they are the reason for Brexit? I mean c'mon!

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The thing is, these terrorists don't need to take the refugee route. Being European nationals they can instead pass into, for example, Algeria, take an airplane to France, and commit their acts of terror. They are instead taking a riskier route where they have a chance of dying on the way in order to leave a paper trail that will discredit the refugees and increase tensions between them and their host countries. You could build a hundred-meter tall wall in the middle of the sea and completely cut off the refugees from Europe, and that would not stop the terrorists, because they do not rely on the refugee route to return to Europe, they are using it to achieve a different goal altogether.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

YF-23 posted:

The thing is, these terrorists don't need to take the refugee route. Being European nationals they can instead pass into, for example, Algeria, take an airplane to France, and commit their acts of terror. They are instead taking a riskier route where they have a chance of dying on the way in order to leave a paper trail that will discredit the refugees and increase tensions between them and their host countries. You could build a hundred-meter tall wall in the middle of the sea and completely cut off the refugees from Europe, and that would not stop the terrorists, because they do not rely on the refugee route to return to Europe, they are using it to achieve a different goal altogether.
You're completely wrong and should probably read the article I linked above, or at least the passages I quoted. Some of the attackers are/were EU citizens; others were not, and masqueraded as refugees because they had no other way of getting into Europe.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

computer parts posted:

I think the whole minaret ban was about Swiss being fed up with poles. :rimshot:

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

YF-23 posted:

This is dumb reasoning, they are not using their loving passports because they want to travel incognito. They could use their passports but then their entry might be registered (especially for flights) and the authorities could have put one of them on some watchlist, risking their mission. They can travel as refugees incognito for whatever part of their journey and when it would be more convenient and low risk to use their passport they can do that too. That they happen to discredit refugees is just a bonus from the safest way to travel (safe for their mission, not their persons).

Also, just checking UNHCR data for 2015 there were a million refugees over the Mediterranean and 4000 dead/missing persons, the great majority of deaths happening on the long journey from North Africa to Italy/Crete. This constitutes a 0,004% risk of death, something I'm sure a loving suicidebomber at the peak of their physical fitness would find agreeable in return for arriving incognito to inside the border of schengen.

Zudgemud fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 12, 2016

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

YF-23 posted:

Many if not most European born terrorist sympathizer are tracked to some degree. The hard part isn't getting in or out, the hard part is getting in again without raising a lot of red flags. The fact that there is now a legal way to enter Europe without needing papers but simply by rollling up a random name and background, is a big bonus if you want to shake off your trackers. Not masses of migrants claiming to be refugees are the problem, but rather the dismantling of the border regime due to overload. Of course, since many refugees have psychic problems (they guess that about 40% of the Syrians are damaged goods), they are more susceptible to Islamic propaganda after they already have entered Europe, thanks to the intar-webs.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Yup. All these loving terrorists had been under surveillance but they were too incompetent/unwilling to actually stop them.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sinteres posted:

I do think there's something to this argument, but it's really loving cynical the way the open borders types transitioned seamlessly from "the refugees are peace-loving people who'd obviously never hurt us, how dare you do a racism by warning that their presence may be a risk?" to "seriously guys, these refugees are a ticking time bomb that might go off any second now if we offend them and they turn to ISIS."

I don't know who exactly you're talking about so it's kinda hard for me to say anything to that, but it's been my position since becoming aware of the logic of Jihadist terrorism. Or terrorism in general. People who come to the West explicitly to commit attacks aren't actually refugees though. They're not fleeing persecution, and indeed very often they are the very persecution that the people around them are fleeing from. The whole point of the exercise is to make us think of those agents as being members and representatives of the refugees in their violent acts, which they most loving certainly are not.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Go find out what happens to people accused of being Daesh on the refugee trail and you'll get some measure of what the refugees in general think of these fuckwits.

lollontee fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Aug 12, 2016

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Riso posted:

Yup. All these loving terrorists had been under surveillance but they were too incompetent/unwilling to actually stop them.

For the Brussels cell that went on a killing spree in Nov. 15, this was exactly the case.

Fox Cunning
Jun 21, 2006

salt-induced orgasm in the mouth
I've got a hunch that those using IS as reason to not accept refugees wouldn't be that enthusiastic about the situation even without the looming threat of IS-terrorism.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fox Cunning posted:

I've got a hunch that those using IS as reason to not accept refugees wouldn't be that enthusiastic about the situation even without the looming threat of IS-terrorism.

As Zizek points out again and again, pathological mistrust is still pathological even if the object of mistrust is indeed doing what the subject suspects him of doing.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
See, the problem is that keeping tracks of known terrorists require personnel, which means public sector jobs, which means the antichrist. Holy Austerity says that a country should have exactly 0 public sector jobs and so all public function employees must be allowed to retire without replacement until the country is finally made efficient. Only then will the Markets, in their infinite wisdom, confer their blessings upon our nations.

Terrorism happens because there's too much state, really.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Friendly Humour posted:

As Zizek points out again and again, pathological mistrust is still pathological even if the object of mistrust is indeed doing what the subject suspects him of doing.

That sure is a convenient perspective to take on one's opponents. Even if they're right, they were arguing in bad faith! Or better yet, actually crazy.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 12, 2016

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

YF-23 posted:

I didn't know Iraq was part of the EU now, that might explains some things.

Fox Cunning posted:

I've always been in favour of accepting refugees but they need to be vetted or no thanks.

How can you be enthusiastic about this situation? You'd have to live in a completely remote place safe from... oh wait!

I can do the same thing by the way "I've got a hunch that those using mass murders as a reason to apply gun control wouldn't be that enthusiastic about the situation even without the looming threat of mass shooting".

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 12, 2016

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

See, the problem is that keeping tracks of known terrorists require personnel, which means public sector jobs, which means the antichrist. Holy Austerity says that a country should have exactly 0 public sector jobs and so all public function employees must be allowed to retire without replacement until the country is finally made efficient. Only then will the Markets, in their infinite wisdom, confer their blessings upon our nations.

Terrorism happens because there's too much state, really.

It's pretty hard to keep these idiots from blowing up when they can communicate with Saudi Arabia using a $3 Android app that offers unbreakable encryption. poo poo is hosed up and the NSA/American government is primarily to blame for this cause they created a huge market for these apps.

(I know that PGP has existed for decades, but it was rarely used in those circles due to poor tech proficiency. These people are literally morons and that's probably one of the reason why you can talk them into blowing up so easily.)

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Guys I'm not racist. *bans swimwear because it's what those Muslims wear.*
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/08/12/489777580/french-resort-city-bans-muslim-bathing-suit

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Sure Europeans ban swimwear indicative to minority groups but honestly, how dare you bring that up while America still has racial issues. -Europeans

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I mean Saudi Arabia would ban Western refugees from wearing swimwear they'd be comfortable in too, but it wouldn't be because of race. France genuinely does value secularism as a national characteristic, and while this law is a particularly clumsy overreach in that regard that wouldn't even be remotely constitutional in the US, there are reasons to oppose the burka beyond racism. Again, I'm not defending the law, but viewing everything through the lens of race can sometimes miss that there are other factors at play as well.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sinteres posted:

I mean Saudi Arabia would ban Western refugees from wearing swimwear they'd be comfortable in too, but it wouldn't be because of race. France genuinely does value secularism as a national characteristic, and while this law is a particularly clumsy overreach in that regard that wouldn't even be remotely constitutional in the US, there are reasons to oppose the burka beyond racism. Again, I'm not defending the law, but viewing everything through the lens of race can sometimes miss that there are other factors at play as well.

In this case it's probably just racism though.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

drilldo squirt posted:

Sure Europeans ban swimwear indicative to minority groups but honestly, how dare you bring that up while America still has racial issues. -Europeans

Doctor Malaver posted:

Generally speaking, if you show something racist in European country A and use it to say "Europe's racist" then somebody from European country B will be offended and will object. BUT if you make a separate claim that country B is racist, they won't object. So it's not racism denial as much as not wanting to be linked with other countries' poo poo.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Considering we just had someone say "France isn't racist, it's just their culture!" I don't think that's accurate.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

computer parts posted:

Considering we just had someone say "France isn't racist, it's just their culture!" I don't think that's accurate.

That doesn't mean you have to lump the other countries with France and their racism.

My country has its own racist poo poo, thank you very much.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

That's one city and the ban is going to be overturned.

computer parts posted:

Cannes isn't the whole of France.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

computer parts posted:

I'm American and even if my country's Constitution allowed such a ban, I wouldn't be in favor of it. There are valid reasons to dislike the burka as both a symbol and form of oppression though. Like we worry about images of thin models on magazines, but nope, worrying about the effect having a bunch of people show up who think women have to be physically hidden from the world might have on our feminist values at all is now forbidden.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 12, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kurtofan posted:

Cannes isn't the whole of France.

And I'm going to guess that the burqa ban wasn't passed by a unanimous vote either, so was it really France that was at fault?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Like literally, you're getting into "Supreme Court Bribery" standards of proof in order to say "yeah those dudes are racist".

I cannot think of a single situation - the system of slavery in the antebellum period included - that would meet that standard.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Andrast posted:

In this case it's probably just racism though.

Nope. It's adherence to enlightenment, anticlericalism and the republican values of '89.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Here's a handy tip. Whenever you want to say "Europeans are...", imagine that you are saying "Black people are..." or "Muslims are..."

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Einbauschrank posted:

Nope. It's adherence to enlightenment, anticlericalism and the republican values of '89.

Yeah, racism.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Let's be honest here.
If anyone else but a muslim were to go swimming in full clothing we'd call him a retard.

Interestingly I've seen these "burkini" things are banned for hygienic reasons in indoor pools.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Riso posted:

Let's be honest here.
If anyone else but a muslim were to go swimming in full clothing we'd call him a retard.

Interestingly I've seen these "burkini" things are banned for hygienic reasons in indoor pools.

How about you let these people swim in peace instead of implying a foreigner is mentally challenged for not wearing the Master-Race Standard Issue Bathing Attire

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I might think that swimming in full clothing is idiotic but that still doesn't mean it should be outlawed just because brown people do it.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Andrast posted:

I might think that swimming in full clothing is idiotic but that still doesn't mean it should be outlawed just because brown people do it.

It shouldn't be outlawed period, but it should be stigmatized as an instrument of women's oppression. I imagine most of us agree that Christian practices that oppress women should be called out, but liberals don't know what to do anymore when disadvantaged minority groups also act as oppressors, so they construct bullshit narratives about the liberation from male gaze the burka offers the women who obviously choose to wear it on their own without any hint of coercion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

a big reason iranian women lashed out against feminism after the revolution was the shah's wife had pushed women's lib heavily and thus it was seen as some kind of western plot

you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink