Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
It was the red pill. Now hes going to come out of the matrix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I can't begin to imagine how much that must hurt.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Shooting Blanks posted:

I...don't even get the reference.

Me neither.

Great weird episode. A bit slow and the sitcom segment was maybe a bit too long, but awesome anyway. loving Alf, that was something I didn't see coming.

But goddam they leave us in two cliffhangers like that, I wish I could binge what this poo poo

Tyrell is definitely dead.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I don't know what marble cake is, but the password being "Joshua" was a WarGames reference.

Also, I loved the sitcom opening so much. Was laughing my rear end off.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Le Saboteur posted:

Holy poo poo these credits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frWe0SM0RUw

Shooting Blanks posted:

I...don't even get the reference.

I only know it from the 2009 TIME person of the year poll when 4chan rigged it to not only have Moot as the person of the year but for the poll results to spell out "marblecake, also the game"

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Dr. Josef Mengele posted:

What did that guy get injected into his finger? :goatdrugs:?

I'm going to go with they're taking him out Russian style and injected some Polonium into his bloodstream and he's going to die in like 2 weeks.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

If you like this show, take a look at this dude's Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/user/s4myk

First video is of the mag card duplication that was used in this episode, but there is a ton of neat stuff in there.

Edit: Thanks - Apparently SA automatically converts it to an embedded video....which doesn't work out too well for a user link. Doh.

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Aug 12, 2016

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Shooting Blanks posted:

If you like this show, take a look at this dude's Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?s4myk

First video is of the mag card duplication that was used in this episode, but there is a ton of neat stuff in there.

Your link is broken.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Is that lawyer ever going back to her apartment? Not even to check on poo poo?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Benson Cunningham posted:

Is that lawyer ever going back to her apartment? Not even to check on poo poo?

Yeah, this is bugging me a bit. How long has been, a week? She could come back at any minute, it is the worst hideout

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

WampaLord posted:

I don't know what marble cake is, but the password being "Joshua" was a WarGames reference.

I think that's my favorite reference so far.

Also I'll never see ALF in the same way. And I've seen those 'behind the scenes' videos. And know that Willie is possibly a crack addict who fucks homeless dudes.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Can anyone identify the song at the beginning of episode 5 when they are walking through steel valley? or was it ost?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

magiccarpet posted:

Can anyone identify the song at the beginning of episode 5 when they are walking through steel valley? or was it ost?

If it's not here then it's score music.

I think the score track is 1.3_3-betterthanm0rphine.aac.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Aug 12, 2016

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
The first season was forever ago....why is it a secret that Darlene's ex knew Angela? Wasn't the malware that Angela installed because of Cisco's blackmail the entire basis for Elliot finding about F_Society?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Toplowtech posted:

Can we have a gif of alf driving over Gideon. That scene killed me(and Gideon, again).
https://zippy.gfycat.com/SmoothLeafyHerald.webm

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

The first season was forever ago....why is it a secret that Darlene's ex knew Angela? Wasn't the malware that Angela installed because of Cisco's blackmail the entire basis for Elliot finding about F_Society?

Elliot found out about fSociety in episode 1, Cisco doesn't show up until episode 2. The disc he gives Ollie and Angela are how the Dark Army found out about Gideon's honeypot.

I'm not sure the staredown with Cisco and Angela is supposed to be about keeping it a big secret (though Darlene doesn't seem to realize it was Cisco who blackmailed Angela in the first place), but more about Angela putting aside her emotions like Price suggested a few episodes ago and working with him despite the fact his actions got her into this mess to begin with.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Problematic Pigeon posted:

Elliot found out about fSociety in episode 1, Cisco doesn't show up until episode 2. The disc he gives Ollie and Angela are how the Dark Army found out about Gideon's honeypot.

I'm not sure the staredown with Cisco and Angela is supposed to be about keeping it a big secret (though Darlene doesn't seem to realize it was Cisco who blackmailed Angela in the first place), but more about Angela putting aside her emotions like Price suggested a few episodes ago and working with him despite the fact his actions got her into this mess to begin with.

Um, I don't think anyone in F Society except Elliot knows that the Dark Army blackmailed Angela. But now Angela might start to piece things together. She's doing this thing to help Elliot and suddenly it turns out that it involves the guy who blackmailed her.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Shooting Blanks posted:

This. If you see him when he drops off the device with Angela and Darlene, that finger is bandaged. It's not 100% clear (although close enough) that whatever they changed is what crashed the hack - any guesses as to what the Dark Army is trying to do? I haven't seen anything plausible about their end game, thew only things we know about them for sure is that they're Chinese, willing to play rough, and one of the most prominent members is extremely well connected politically/socially. It's all theory crafting, I know, just wondering what I've missed if anything.

I figure the Chinese are interested in owning the God's computer network. Either malware of their own or some kind of piggybacking system.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

Snak posted:

Um, I don't think anyone in F Society except Elliot knows that the Dark Army blackmailed Angela. But now Angela might start to piece things together. She's doing this thing to help Elliot and suddenly it turns out that it involves the guy who blackmailed her.

Darlene should know, she holds it over Angela to get her to help with the hack.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Problematic Pigeon posted:

Darlene should know, she holds it over Angela to get her to help with the hack.

Oh right.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Escobarbarian posted:

Whenever I read the reviews for this show I find critics are always taking it as a given that the Elliot scenes are the least interesting part of an episode, which is so far away from my perception it sorta makes my head spin.

Reading stuff the critics say is your primary mistake there.

Being a critic is licence to be a picky oval office, for money. Doing it for free makes you just makes you a run of the mill TV IV goon.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Couldn't Angela have used the rubber ducky to execute the scripts/

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

joebuddah posted:

That's what I was thinking, or "Why can't they just create a macro she can run with one command?" because aside from needing an in-flesh person connecting cables and hardware, why did she need to "learn to hack?" That implies there would be some improvisation or information she needed to enter quickly that only she could see while in the building. Like if the whole floor was in a Faraday cage and they had no way to talk to her or remotely control any devices, and they needed her to first go check some readouts and then use that to pick the correct commands to use.

I managed to let my suspension of disbelief take over while watching, fortunately.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

joebuddah posted:

No the rubber duckie was just a backup plan that would have been able to only pull a small fraction of the data in a format that they might not have been able to do anything with.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

It's a secret because Darlene just thinks that the dude has 'contacts' in the Dark Army, not that the dude is balls deep into running scams and poo poo for them. If she knew, she'd know that all of f_society's poo poo is potentially blown.

Elliot found out about F_Society because of the file that was on the E Corp servers that were crashing.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but all of the Chinese speakers in this show are terrible. I guess it was hard to find good ones since this show doesn't suck up to the Communist Party?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

nickmeister posted:

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but all of the Chinese speakers in this show are terrible. I guess it was hard to find good ones since this show doesn't suck up to the Communist Party?

Yeah, noticed that again too unfortunately. That scene where Cisco was in the library with the Dark Army guy was so obviously ADR'ed that it was hard to watch right after the incredible 90's segment. But to be fair, I guess I'd rather they just go for it like they are now rather than make people who are clearly Chinese speak English, which wouldn't be as immersive.

Just remembered something I liked from the sitcom segment: Each character's credits closeup was during some traumatic moment in their life, and then they cheese it for the camera. Eliot has just fallen out of a window, Mr. Robot is in a doctor's office and presumably has just been told he has cancer, Angela is literally standing over her dead mother's casket and trying not to cry. It was both hosed up and hilarious all at once.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

timp posted:

Yeah, noticed that again too unfortunately. That scene where Cisco was in the library with the Dark Army guy was so obviously ADR'ed that it was hard to watch right after the incredible 90's segment. But to be fair, I guess I'd rather they just go for it like they are now rather than make people who are clearly Chinese speak English, which wouldn't be as immersive.

Just remembered something I liked from the sitcom segment: Each character's credits closeup was during some traumatic moment in their life, and then they cheese it for the camera. Eliot has just fallen out of a window, Mr. Robot is in a doctor's office and presumably has just been told he has cancer, Angela is literally standing over her dead mother's casket and trying not to cry. It was both hosed up and hilarious all at once.

And, of course, Gideon becoming aware of his death. Considering its prominence in the delusion Mr. Robot constructed to protect Elliot, I think this lends more credence to Elliot ordering Gideon's murder than Mr. Robot doing so.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

There were some amazing facial expressions during that sequence.

I should see if someone transcribed the theme lyrics. I bet there's stuff buried in there too.

Edit:
And here it is, from the USA site:

Mr. Robot Theme Song ("Imagine a World Gone Insane")

Used to be you could trust in the story

Vilify the villains and celebrate the heroes

You could believe in the guts and the glory ways

Those were the better days

Where did those times go?

When the shimmering sky turns cold and gray

Searching for that spark of light

Just close your eyes and say the words

"Everything's gonna be all right"

(Yeah)

Imagine a world gone insane

Picture yourself high above

Imagine yourself in a world numb with pain

Where the crazies believe in their twisted love

Deep in your heart, hope stays alive

Stand up tall and surely you'll survive

Imagine a world gone insane

(Imagine a world)

Gone insane

Let your mind just drift away

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 12, 2016

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Portia doubleday "crying at my mother burial" part in the 90s intro is the best thing.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Toplowtech posted:

Portia doubleday "crying at my mother burial" part in the 90s intro is the best thing.

Goddamnit, she really tries to pull it together with all the mascara running down her face, and she almost pulls it off. :lol:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Toplowtech posted:

It's SO FUNNY. She starts out crying, turns to camera, the credit comes up and she tries to do the "smiling for sitcom credit" thing but just breaks down crying again. I died laughing.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
I'm hoping Elliot will somehow get revenge on/kill the thugs this season. The last season he just let them get away after murdering his friend in cold blood. Not cool.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

nickmeister posted:

I'm hoping Elliot will somehow get revenge on/kill the thugs this season. The last season he just let them get away after murdering his friend in cold blood. Not cool.

Maybe he will trade info to the FBI agent. Tip them off.

E: the server's in Iceland, leads to some dweeb, and it turns out Ross Ulbricht wasn't the Dread Pirate Roberts after all.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

nickmeister posted:

I would not say no to a scene where Mr. Robot goes all True Romance on a bunch of these assholes.

I really need to watch that movie again.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Wellick would have been a much more satisfying agent to punish those who have done harm to Eliot.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
The FBI lady is awkward as gently caress.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

nickmeister posted:

The FBI lady is awkward as gently caress.

She sure is, but I guess this is what I like most about her

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Elias_Maluco posted:

Me neither.

Great weird episode. A bit slow and the sitcom segment was maybe a bit too long, but awesome anyway. loving Alf, that was something I didn't see coming.

But goddam they leave us in two cliffhangers like that, I wish I could binge what this poo poo

Tyrell is definitely dead.

I'm not convinced that Tyrell is dead. Especially after the latest episode. I think we're seeing what Mr. Robot wants Elliot to see which is full of just enough truth to continue to gain Elliot's trust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Elias_Maluco posted:

She sure is, but I guess this is what I like most about her

She's not like a typical cop/government stooge character, she seems like she'll turn out to be more like an eccentric genius.

• Locked thread