Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Rome was originally released in 2004.

Feral, the guys making the iPad version, released a Mac version in 2010, six years after the original.

Six years after THAT, iPad version.

It's like poetry, it rhymes.

I'm gonna download it and bitch that it won't take Europa Barbarorum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

drat, that actually looks really good.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
It's still worthless without mods. Enjoy having the enemy rout after 3 seconds in combat i guess (that's my record).

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Rome 1 was the best, defending cities with a single tier 1 phalanx unit sitting in the gate

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Kainser posted:

Rome 1 was the best, defending cities with a single tier 1 phalanx unit sitting in the gate

German phalanxes and berserkers on a bridge defense.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That will be a nightmare to control.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

It looks like it's using the system that Ultimate General Gettysburg does for movement, in which case it'll control absolutely fine on iPad.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It looks like it's using the system that Ultimate General Gettysburg does for movement, in which case it'll control absolutely fine on iPad.
Can't wait for the 29 page thread on TWC wondering why the PC version doesn't get those controls patched in

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths
That moment when your deep into a Shogun campaign as the Hatori, and your financial heart gets captured by the 19 province strong Mori Shogunate and your allies the Oda recapture it alongside Kyoto and since this is Shogun 2 you cant request the province back. With this province my income soars at 5k per turn, without it i'm making 1.5k. If I break the alliance I'm hosed, I could wait and see if the Mori can capture it back and then take it from them but there's a good chance this doesn't happen as the Oda troop quality is far greater then Mori's.

gently caress man :cmon:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Was diplomacy ever done well in these games? I honestly can't remember how it was handled in the older ones but it always bothered me, especially in Rome 2, that you couldn't buy or trade provinces.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

You could in med2. I mean, the AI was bugfuck retardocrazy but at least it was an option.

Oh, hey, sicily! You want me to give you the Netherlands for 1000 florins or you're gonna attack? After I reduced you to cagliari 30 turns ago because you wouldn't stop attacking Marseilles? Try me, bitch!!!!!

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
You used to be able to buy/sell/trade provinces but the AI was horrendously bad at it, like you'd end up in Empire with Prussia selling off Berlin to the Iroquois and poo poo. To be fair I don't think there are any games that do that well- they disabled province selling in Europa Universalis 4 for the same reasons.

As for good diplomacy, that depends on whether you mean sensible or "good". People were just talking about this a bit ago, but Total War's always erred on the gamey side so you keep having a challenge- in Medieval 2, even if you were in fuckoff Sogdia or whatever the hell with nobody even close to you, after a preset time the game would force someone to declare war on you. They don't do that in the more recent ones, but you'll still sometimes have your BFF loving you over when it makes no actual sense from time to time. Generally there is a logic to it though, just not always one that makes sense at first glance.
Like, in most games, being a massive rear end in a top hat and genociding groups, murdering prisoners etc would pretty much get everyone to hate you- in Rome 2, it makes your enemy hate you, and their friends hate you, but for people that hated that enemy, they'll love you for it. A lot of people complained about the relations, thinking it was random, but it actually does make sense, just not in the way we normally think of.

Incidentally though, this is one of the many reasons I love Shogun 2 the most. Random gamey diplomacy feels a lot less weird when you're dealing with a civil war on the scale of a tiny country.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Koramei posted:

Incidentally though, this is one of the many reasons I love Shogun 2 the most. Random gamey diplomacy feels a lot less weird when you're dealing with a civil war on the scale of a tiny country.

Not to mention that allies stabbing each other in the back for basically no reason is historically accurate to the setting.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Does anyone have any advice for getting the achievements for defeating Shogun 2 on very hard and legendary?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
If you just want an easy way to win the game on that difficulty, start in Kyushu, build bow warrior monks out of Chikuzen province with the craftworks to maximize your accuracy, make a couple of stacks of half naginata samurai and half bow warrior monks, and just sit back as your archers dominate in every battle including sieges, where you will take no casualties because you outrange the defenders. It gets old after a little bit but against the AI it's basically unbeatable.

Convert to Christian, make nanban trade ships, manually fight every sea battle or you will lose them.

Stand and fight is a good ability.

More generally: be self sufficient. Don't rely on trade routes too much or you'll be hosed come realm divide. Town growth is your friend.

Use the strategic map to your advantage- expand into chokepoints, so you only need a couple of fortified castles to defend whole fronts. It's possible to do that no matter where you start and it'll save a lot of money come realm divide if you're defending 4 castles instead of 20.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
What's the "base" faction for Rise/Fall and Attila? I usually like to play the historically accurate faction first because it's got the most events/makes the most sense/tends to be the most fun, and then spiral off from there into the factions that seem cool.

So like for Shogun 2 is was Oda, Rome/Rome 2 is obviously Rome, and Total Warhammer was the Empire. I'm not a Huns person ( and like the idea of them being a world conquering threat ), and don't feel like Rome fits well for Attila as it's about the end of Rome/long after Rome fell, so who is a good nonHun/nonRome start that "changed the world" from that period. I know basically nothing of the various tribes here.

Same with Rise/Fall. I don't know anything about Japanese history outside of the Sengoku period. Who was the historical choice in both of these events.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
In Attila, I would go with the Saxons or the Franks, because they get some rock hard late game heavy infantry while still having decent cavalry, and next to the Scandinavian nations, they can weather the climate change better than anyone else. Saxons especially have a prime target with Great Britain in their sights, which will become a moneymaking fortress island once you get rid of all the annoying locals. Speaking of, the celtic factions are also a ton of fun for having high damage low armor ambush armies.

For Fall of the Samurai, if you are going Imperial, then I suggest the Choshu as your starter. They have a tough opening, but they get a really good special unit called the Kihetai, who have breech loading rifles while most other factions are still stuck with muzzle loaders. The Kihetai also have a morale aura around them, helping your lesser units stay in the fight longer.

If you are going Shogunate, the Tosa are a fun startup. They get better marksmen called the Tosa Riflemen who outrange most other units and are really accurate. They also start on an island which gives them some security provided you get a fleet up and running soon.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 15, 2016

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Rookersh posted:

Same with Rise/Fall. I don't know anything about Japanese history outside of the Sengoku period. Who was the historical choice in both of these events.

In Rise, the historic winner of the Genpei War was the Kamakura Minamoto Clan. Iirc they specialize in samurai units, so go wild.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Arcsquad12 posted:

If you are going Shogunate, the Tosa are a fun startup. They get better marksmen called the Tosa Riflemen who outrange most other units and are really accurate. They also start on an island which gives them some security provided you get a fleet up and running soon.

Tosa are Imperials too. The most distinct Shogunate faction is Aizu, who get bonuses to their traditional units but also get a series of unique modern infantry units at all levels. But yeah, Choshu are pretty much historical winners for Fall and also a good and fun faction.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I ended up going with Satsuma. I'm currently eyeing my allied Hirado with suspicion, because they've managed to snatch up half the island that I was planning to grab and I'm worried that they'll turn on me. Gotta say, coming directly off Medieval 2, FOTS is a huge relief. Units actually do what I tell them to, my enemies don't spam relentless stacks of two units at me, and nobody's caught the plague!

I'm also really digging the particle effects, especially the artillery's (playing with the mod) impacts and explosions.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rookersh posted:

What's the "base" faction for Rise/Fall and Attila? I usually like to play the historically accurate faction first because it's got the most events/makes the most sense/tends to be the most fun, and then spiral off from there into the factions that seem cool.

So like for Shogun 2 is was Oda, Rome/Rome 2 is obviously Rome, and Total Warhammer was the Empire. I'm not a Huns person ( and like the idea of them being a world conquering threat ), and don't feel like Rome fits well for Attila as it's about the end of Rome/long after Rome fell, so who is a good nonHun/nonRome start that "changed the world" from that period. I know basically nothing of the various tribes here.

Franks, Saxons or Vandals, eastern roman empire or any of the african and arab tribes.

Garamantia is kinda boring so ignore them.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Mordja posted:

I ended up going with Satsuma. I'm currently eyeing my allied Hirado with suspicion, because they've managed to snatch up half the island that I was planning to grab and I'm worried that they'll turn on me. Gotta say, coming directly off Medieval 2, FOTS is a huge relief. Units actually do what I tell them to, my enemies don't spam relentless stacks of two units at me, and nobody's caught the plague!

I'm also really digging the particle effects, especially the artillery's (playing with the mod) impacts and explosions.

You might have to make the call and stab them in the back. Secure the Islands with the gold mines to finance this and get gaijin help!

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Well I beat Fall of the Samurai on Very Hard. It's going to be brutal trying to get through Legendary as I just found out you can't quick save before battles.

The first time I used naval bombardment in a battle I actually felt bad for the AI opponent. I'd been hammering a castle from a nearby hill using 6 Armstrong gun units all rank 5+ recruited from a province with a gunsmith and firing range in an army overseen by a foreign veteran specialized in +accuracy, +ammo. They're basically just chewing apart a 3,000 man traditional army (swords, bows, spears, etc) hiding in the fort. I've got US Marines and Imperial guard infantry recruited from the same province that are the picture of health just waiting for the ammo on the artillery to run dry. It was ALREADY a massacre when I called in the first naval strike and I actually recoiled a little bit at how much digital hell I had just unleashed.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Victorian artillery is loving scary.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

firing range/gunsmith modern units can easily beat a traditional/early line army that outnumbers them 3-1. especially when kneel fire and suppressing fire is taken into account.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

That is a nice fortress you got there, looks really hard to assault.

Let me just bring my fleet and armstrong guns :smug:.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I do like how the traditional units all rock bell bottom pants. And at least Shogitai are somewhat useful once they survive charging the gunlines.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I've read once that supposedly in MP, traditional armies are still viable. Is that true? Never played MP.
Anyway, I'm pretty sure that once you have line infantry and armstrong guns, no AI army will be able to do poo poo to you, even if they have modern units.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I'm playing vanilla Rome 2 Emperor's Edition and is there a proper strategy for how regions should be set up? Should 1 province always be for farms, another market, and another recruitment? Or does it not really matter?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'm playing vanilla Rome 2 Emperor's Edition and is there a proper strategy for how regions should be set up? Should 1 province always be for farms, another market, and another recruitment? Or does it not really matter?

I think Rome 2 uses a global food surplus so yeah, make some regions (probably the 2-province ones) a big farm. You'll always have to include some happiness buildings, but you can mix-and-match economy and military buildings in other regions.

Coastal regions are the best for economy buildings. Africa has 4 port slots and is the richest region in the game because of it (probably). As the empire grows you stop needing barracks in safe regions, so you can replace them with markets.

There's no real point in making one region a super-barracks, because by the time you're done construction it'll be miles away from your borders. But it's fun.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Does Rome 2 use the same food system as Attila? Because Attila is kind of weird about food surplus - it uses both local AND global food supply. The global supply seems to matter mainly if it goes in the negative, where you get public order penalties across the board and all your armies start taking attrition. However if a local food balance is negative, even if your global supply is positive, it will cause public order penalties in that province. They usually aren't too severe and a public order boosting building or some garrisoned troops will counter it, but it's still something to be aware of.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Does Rome 2 use the same food system as Attila? Because Attila is kind of weird about food surplus - it uses both local AND global food supply. The global supply seems to matter mainly if it goes in the negative, where you get public order penalties across the board and all your armies start taking attrition. However if a local food balance is negative, even if your global supply is positive, it will cause public order penalties in that province. They usually aren't too severe and a public order boosting building or some garrisoned troops will counter it, but it's still something to be aware of.

No, regions in Rome 2 don't have local food, everything goes towards a global surplus.

There used to be a fun exploit where tax exemption also exempted all the food costs of a province. You could load up a million high level buildings and get like a -300 food deficit in one province, with zero ill-effect aside from no tax revenue.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Food all goes in a global pool, like everything else. How you should set up your regions up is gonna vary with your faction. If you've got a huge bonus to ag income, you'll probably wanna overproduce the gently caress out of food even if you don't need it. Whereas if your faction has bonuses to industry, you wanna keep just enough food to feed everyone and whore the big money from mining/manufacturing. I do like having one region for recruitment but that's more convenience than necessity. Notable here is that any mines you have making armor/weapons (shieldmaker/weaponmaker upgrades to mine settlements) are similarly global, so you don't need to recruit troops THERE to get the bonus weapons/armors.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

you should gun for Sicily if you want to create a breadbasket to feed an entire empire by itself.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Is it the case in all of the games that a pike unit in something like Rome I or II is deadlier head-on if you're in a formation with multiple ranks, or does the game not take that into account? I've never really noticed, and it seems like soldiers have just as easy of time trying to make it through one rank of pikes as they do 2+

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Plan Z posted:

Is it the case in all of the games that a pike unit in something like Rome I or II is deadlier head-on if you're in a formation with multiple ranks, or does the game not take that into account? I've never really noticed, and it seems like soldiers have just as easy of time trying to make it through one rank of pikes as they do 2+

The game does take this into account. It's particularly noticeable in Rome 1, actually, with the single-hitpoint system meaning you can have a unit run into a phalanx and something like 70% of the unit dies on contact with the pike wall in the first 5 seconds. But even in Rome 2, the more pikes you have on a target, the better it works. Even 2 ranks is too thin, really.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I think in Medieval 2 (and probably in Rome 1 too), pikes are the best defensive units because they keep the enemy away from them on top of locking them into 1v1 combat or something to that effect.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Medieval 2 pikes kind of stink because units have an annoying habit of switching to swords and the getting slaughtered because they dropped their pike wall

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

So I caved and bought Empire, the only TW game I hadn't owned up to that point. I gotta say, I like it more than I thought I would. The battle AI is weird, especially when inside forts, but it's so goofy in an unintentional way that it's sort of endearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Plan Z posted:

So I caved and bought Empire, the only TW game I hadn't owned up to that point. I gotta say, I like it more than I thought I would. The battle AI is weird, especially when inside forts, but it's so goofy in an unintentional way that it's sort of endearing.

On the cheap these days now, Empire is okay. It doesn't excuse CA for dropping the ball and launching a game that was essentially in beta still way back then.

Still patiently waiting for the guy to finish the mod that adds the Napoleonic Wars stuff towards the end of the game.