Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Like look there's nothing I want more than for man to explore outer space. I'd happily leave my wife and kids to colonize Mars if I just get to be some small part of it. But we're too busy with what celebrities think and we're wasting all our fuel on military patrols and faster trips to grandmas house. Think about the gun control debate for 20 seconds and then try to tell me with a straight face that this horrible species has the mental discipline to even begin (much less complete) a multi-generational trip to alpha centauri.

I'm still telling you: space is pointless, space sucks, it's really difficult, and there's nothing interesting about it. This place where life magically appeared and got smart enough to have pointless gun control debates and talk about celebrities, this place is the real poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Also the Defiant is awesome.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

cheerfullydrab posted:

I'm still telling you: space is pointless, space sucks, it's really difficult, and there's nothing interesting about it. This place where life magically appeared and got smart enough to have pointless gun control debates and talk about celebrities, this place is the real poo poo.

space has lots of building materials and lots of space. it has a lot of potential in my opinion.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
Here's some more recent news about the new Star Trek show.
http://arstechnica.com/the-multiverse/2016/08/new-trek-series-committed-to-casting-diversity-main-character-wont-be-captain/

10 years before TOS might mean war with the Romulans? It also says the lead will be an Admiral which gives a BSG vibe. I'm hoping that they don't use the prequel as another excuse for introducing the Borg and instead just make every episode a slow submarine style battle like Star Trek II.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

RVWinkle posted:

10 years before TOS might mean war with the Romulans?

No

quote:

It also says the lead will be an Admiral which gives a BSG vibe.

no it' doesn't, other things have admirals too

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I would have changed Voyager quite a bit. I probably stole the idea from someone else:

Make Janeway much younger and hotter. Make her like a brand new Lieutenant Commander or something at the start. Ship gets stranded, Captain is killed, first officer is killed, doctor and chief engineer are killed, it's all hosed up and this very eager but inexperienced young officer has to take command.

Then make the Chokotay character even older, make him a retired ex-Admiral who joined the Maquis. Like he knows everything there is to know about running Starfleet ships but walked away from that, and now he's forced to be subordinate to someone he just knows can't handle it.

Then you get interesting conflict.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

cheerfullydrab posted:

and there's nothing interesting about it

:wtc:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
they should have trapped the cast on the set and filmed them for 75 years and they'd have space kids and it would be a generational ship/show, that would be good tv

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

they should have trapped the cast on the set and filmed them for 75 years and they'd have space kids and it would be a generational ship/show, that would be good tv

So, the Truman Show mixed with Ascension?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Cthulu Carl posted:

The Harry Kim show.

75 years of being a futuristic Elliot Rodgers.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Cthulu Carl posted:

yeah sure sounds good

edit: speaking of Ascension what was the verdict on in it? Bad right? Haven't gotten around to it yet, but it has that cylon chick in it :allears:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Seven of Nine organizes the young, single crew members into a stable of hookers for the command staff, and uses them to consolidate her power.

Someone questions where the torpedoes come from and is beaten to death because the initial crew was conditioned by shocking everyone when even one person asked the question.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

yeah sure sounds good

edit: speaking of Ascension what was the verdict on in it? Bad right? Haven't gotten around to it yet, but it has that cylon chick in it :allears:

It was pretty bad, yeah. I actually don't remember much about it at all except for the hooker thing.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

FuturePastNow posted:

I would have changed Voyager quite a bit. I probably stole the idea from someone else:

Make Janeway much younger and hotter. Make her like a brand new Lieutenant Commander or something at the start. Ship gets stranded, Captain is killed, first officer is killed, doctor and chief engineer are killed, it's all hosed up and this very eager but inexperienced young officer has to take command.

Then make the Chokotay character even older, make him a retired ex-Admiral who joined the Maquis. Like he knows everything there is to know about running Starfleet ships but walked away from that, and now he's forced to be subordinate to someone he just knows can't handle it.

Keep going, i'm almost there

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Voyager should have cast well-known actors in all those roles and then killed them in the first episode. Keep the real cast secret.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Arcsquad12 posted:

Ugh, I'm on the DS9 episode where the Cardassian raised as a Bajoran gets stuck with the O'Brien family, so Cakehole decides to treat him like a Cardassian rather than his adopted culture. gently caress me, she is dumb sometimesall the time. First she chews out O'Brien because of his prejudices against Cardassians, and then replicates some terrible Cardassian food so Rugal feels like one of his OWN people.

and then he and obrien bond over being racist against the cardies and sentimental music plays

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm pretty sure putting Keiko O'Brien in a schoolroom full of innocent children from a variety of species counts as both malicious child abuse and an interplanetary incident.

yes but apparently she's fine off her rear end to multiple alien species somehow and that really does buy you a lotta leeway

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Cthulu Carl posted:

Seven of Nine organizes the young, single crew members into a stable of hookers for the command staff, and uses them to consolidate her power.

Someone questions where the torpedoes come from and is beaten to death because the initial crew was conditioned by shocking everyone when even one person asked the question.

Insert that voyager video where they count the 1 million torpedoes they fire.

Also they dropped the idea of limited torpedos sometime in Season 4, I don't remember exactly. The last time they mention it might have been year of hell (even though the timeline was reset they still were talking about limits that would carry over to a good timeline) like only having 30 of them left and not wanting to waste them.

Then the start of Season 5 they fire like 20 in one episode at those garbage people and quit talking about how many are on board. It had to be a writers conscious decision to drop the limit instead of lack of attention to detail because it was such an abrupt change. For 4 years they kinda don't really use them and occasionally talk about how they only have so many then BAM that garbage people episode they fire like 6 in a row at something, then 6 in a row again and you hear the sound from inside the bridge while Tuvok is doing drivebys.

After that you hear "FULL SPREAD" a lot (x5) so there must have been some bad ratings or focus group testing or something during Season 4 saying it was boring or they never explode things enough.

At least from the start they never gave a poo poo about trying to keep up the shuttle illusion. They said one time at the start of the series "We have two shuttles" and then lose like 17 over the course of the show.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Maybe it's possible to replicate new ones at great expense, which is why they're always on replicator rations and poo poo because it's all going towards ammo and shuttles.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Like look there's nothing I want more than for man to explore outer space. I'd happily leave my wife and kids to colonize Mars if I just get to be some small part of it. But we're too busy with what celebrities think and we're wasting all our fuel on military patrols and faster trips to grandmas house. Think about the gun control debate for 20 seconds and then try to tell me with a straight face that this horrible species has the mental discipline to even begin (much less complete) a multi-generational trip to alpha centauri.

On the other hand 99% of humans have always been dumbo idiots since the beginning of man and we've managed to get this far.

Actually things are pretty good relative to any other point in history if you get out of the gloom and doom of the media cycle :shrug:

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Baronjutter posted:

Maybe it's possible to replicate new ones at great expense, which is why they're always on replicator rations and poo poo because it's all going towards ammo and shuttles.

nah they said

"We have bullshit amount of torpedoes"
"AND NO WAY TO REPLACE THEM WHEN THEY ARE GONE!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIGxMENwq1k

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Baronjutter posted:

One thing I loved with Battlestar Galactica is the Battlestars aren't just big military carriers hauling Vipers about, they're mobile logistics and supply bases too. Some poor bastard's day is just churning out bullet after bullet for the Galactica's magazines so it doesn't have to go tearing back home to resupply after a single fight. The Pegasus being able to outright build new Vipers was cool for the same reason, and a good handwave for replenishing the Galactica's squadron attrition over two seasons.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

FuturePastNow posted:

I just watched Disaster today (s5e5) and it basically sounds like the plot of that episode, with counselor Troi taking command and being way out of her element, and O'Brien and Ro taking orders but knowing she's completely clueless.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I just figured that the reason O'Brien suffers so much was because during TNG the actors were offered a choice between getting to direct an episode or a cash bonus and Colm Meaney chose the cash every time.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

shadow puppet of a posted:

Keiko on the other hand is just a chore to be around. If she sat down at your table at Quarks she'd knowingly put in the minimum minute and a half of conversation before a big pout comes out and its time to gripe about the time miles wasn't keen on eating a bowl of fricandeau stew or how hard she has it waiting for her next botany excursion to a planet full of starving people.

so, like, where is this coming from? are you drawing on personal experience here? i still feel like there's more being read into Keiko's character than is actually there

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Moridin920 posted:

On the other hand 99% of humans have always been dumbo idiots since the beginning of man and we've managed to get this far.

Actually things are pretty good relative to any other point in history if you get out of the gloom and doom of the media cycle :shrug:

Oh for sure but learning to not dump the bodies in the drinking water is not very difficult compared to extrasolar space travel.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

EvilTaytoMan posted:

I just figured that the reason O'Brien suffers so much was because during TNG the actors were offered a choice between getting to direct an episode or a cash bonus and Colm Meaney chose the cash every time.

Colm Meaney wasn't even on the main cast during TNG, he was just a recurring co-star or something. Probably not even on contract until DS9.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

One thing I loved with Battlestar Galactica is the Battlestars aren't just big military carriers hauling Vipers about, they're mobile logistics and supply bases too. Some poor bastard's day is just churning out bullet after bullet for the Galactica's magazines so it doesn't have to go tearing back home to resupply after a single fight. The Pegasus being able to outright build new Vipers was cool for the same reason, and a good handwave for replenishing the Galactica's squadron attrition over two seasons.

That was actually a thing in BSG? I honestly don't remember, but it's been a long rear end time since I watched it.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cthulu Carl posted:

That was actually a thing in BSG? I honestly don't remember, but it's been a long rear end time since I watched it.

Yeah there was even an episode with a saboteur making the shells explode prematurely which caused a Viper's gun to explode.

Pegasus and Galactica both had ammo production but Pegasus being the newer/better one had Viper production and stuff too.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm surprised no one website has made a comprehensive list of all the horrible things that have happened to O'Brien.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Cthulu Carl posted:

The guy was half right. Galactica itself didn't do that stuff, but there were ships in the fleet where it happened. There was even an episode or two where people were like "I just got on this one ship to see my aunt, then while I was on board, everybody I knew got vaporized by Cylons, and ever since then I've been refining algae 16 hours a day every day. Please make things suck less." and Adama was all like "gently caress you, get back to work."

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jimong5 posted:

I just watched Disaster today (s5e5) and it basically sounds like the plot of that episode, with counselor Troi taking command and being way out of her element, and O'Brien and Ro taking orders but knowing she's completely clueless.

The Troi plot element is so goofy as gently caress to me, because on the one hand it's after the writers successfully pushed to reinstate enlisted people, but on the other hand these same writers apparently forgot (or decided to ignore) that just because the medical officers are higher-ranked doesn't mean they're actually in line for command. Like if an aircraft carrier suddenly lost all its senior officers, the carrier wouldn't find itself under the command of Commander Dentist, it'd go to some lieutenant who's actually a line officer. TOS even loving knew about this, when Spock relieved himself he didn't pass command to McCoy, it went to some one-episode Lieutenant.

I genuinely wonder if the writers consciously wanted to make the Enterprise more of a deathtrap because it sure feels like the ship was way more willing to explode itself in the second half of the series.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
Yesterday I watched an episode of DS9 and it started off with O'Brien lying on the floor injured. He jumped a few hours into the future several times because of some technobabble and saw himself get killed or saw his own corpse. I like to think that this is a normal day to him.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
DS9's crew actually needed a counselor. TNG less so. They had an autist and a Klingon.

And Data.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I dislike BSG more than Voyager because it went up it's own rear end so deeply that you could see daylight on the other end.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Colm Meaney wasn't even on the main cast during TNG, he was just a recurring co-star or something. Probably not even on contract until DS9.

I just remember that's what he said in an interview once. Maybe he was talking about DS9.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Trast posted:

I dislike BSG more than Voyager because it went up it's own rear end so deeply that you could see daylight on the other end.

post/av combo

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Big Mean Jerk posted:

post/av combo

I enjoy irony in all forms. :hfive:

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Trast posted:

You are comparing getting terrible food poisoning at the end of a really fantastic meal to eating a seven course poo poo meal that is poo poo all the way through.

I'll take that 70/30 Fantastic/Terrible split to the 100% Terrible split any day. No matter if the 30% of BSG is the worst thing since the holocaust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Big Mean Jerk posted:

post/av combo

I liked Mass Effect up until the end of it.

People say the same thing about BSG but well... I thought it was kinda boring.

I'm like an insane weirdo who likes the original BSG more than the new one because it's a cheesy as hell bootleg Star Wars.