Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

jfc anime. God she looks 12 in those drawings.

Yeah nuke this thread and start over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

karn1635 posted:

The hair is so perfect.

It's easily the best real world interpretation I've seen of it.

Goddamn, what a great show. I want to go back and watch it again now.. for probably the 10th time.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
What's weird to me is when people dress up as a character that shows up *once* in a really long RPG.

At least sometimes they make part of their costume something that will at least give you the name of the character.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I like it because it adds creative variety to the glut of people dressed up as Deadpool and Lady Deadpool and Kid Deadpool and Deadpool-Deadpool. Besides, asking "which character are you?" is a reliable conversation starter that doesn't work quite as well when it's Deadpool.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Wade Wilson posted:

What's weird to me is when people dress up as a character that shows up *once* in a really long RPG.

At least sometimes they make part of their costume something that will at least give you the name of the character.

I know people do that with background characters in Star Wars. I can't remember the details but there's some guy running during the evacuation of cloud city in ESB with a food processor under his arm and I know I saw like a dozen people all cosplaying him together in a picture.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

starkebn posted:

To talk about that gallery in a more constructive way, I assume in a situation like that it's a photographer or a cosplay group who hire a model to make a costume for and then do a set like that most of the time right? Or do you think that she had a big part in the construction too? I'm not curious enough to go to google for answers, just thought some more in-the-know types would have an idea.

Disharmonica describes herself on her Patreon page as a "cosplayer, erocosplayer and photo model", so this looks like a Thing for her, at least as much as it is for the photographer.

starkebn posted:

If it is then it's a lot like the Overwatch sets from not long ago with Tracer(?) and d.Va(?) and there seems to be a fairly blurry line between what is cosplay and what is professional.

In the age of Patreon and Etsy shops, that line can get pretty blurry in a lot of ways, and with a lot of hobbies. A lot of people are making a few side dollars to take the sting off their expenses, and at a certain point that helps you take yourself to the next level; it's a lot easier to justify, say, finding and renting a location and hiring a model or photographer for an afternoon or weekend if you know you'll make at least most of it back. There's a long continuum from "Made my first dollar!" through "It covers expenses" and "I paid for all my training and gear, too" all the way to "I quit my day job" and beyond.

I'm sure there are also working models who approach cosplay from the other direction - a business proposition/promotional endeavor that happens to be more fun than yet another shampoo ad with the fan and the white backdrop - but I don't really have a good way to talk about it.

In this particular case, Disharmonica for example makes about $1100/month from her Patreon, which she's had going since February. That seems pretty good considering she's living in Russia where the median income is $600/month, but she's got expenses and Patreon can be pretty variable. How pro is that?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Tracula posted:

I know people do that with background characters in Star Wars. I can't remember the details but there's some guy running during the evacuation of cloud city in ESB with a food processor under his arm and I know I saw like a dozen people all cosplaying him together in a picture.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Willrow_Hood

Like all background SW characters fans have written a 500,000 word backstory for him.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I did a big effort post on Willrow Hood cosplay a while back :v:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Thank you :allears:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Makes me think of this speech:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjYo3IzC8N0&t=218s

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

All you guys need to shut up, it's comiket time, the most magical time of the year for people dressing up as other (sometimes fictional) people.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Holy poo poo yes. That's a really great Revy, too.

..I can't believe I forgot about Ladybeard, though.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

All you guys need to shut up, it's comiket time, the most magical time of the year for people dressing up as other (sometimes fictional) people.

gun's the wrong color, 4/10

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Best use of a Master Chief helmet I've ever seen.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

God bless Comiket Twitter, they post everything.

(Bonus Rider photobomb)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

wrong thread

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

A+ Huge Jacked Man.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I think that's actually Lady Baby, though.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Gorilla Salad posted:

I think that's actually Lady Baby, though.
Ladybeard, certainly. Pretty sure the girls aren't, though. Also, Ladybeard has apparently left the band.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The thing about Willrow Hood is the dude loving LOVES ice cream. And nobody makes it better than him

I have a Willrow Hood figure still in the original package because you know that poo poo is valuable

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Hayashida's ears aren't creeping forward in this shot.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Alaois posted:

gun's the wrong color, 4/10

https://twitter.com/EnjoybyFocus_/status/764193779125321728
https://twitter.com/EnjoybyFocus_/status/764195579006103552

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

thank you

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I'm not Japanese enough to recognize more than 10% of the things you posted, but these guys remind me of The Residents, and that's aces.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

All of those are great, but I wanted to give these two some love. They look great!

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Gatdamn the level of quality of cosplay overall just seems to be getting better and better every year

starkebn has a new favorite as of 00:13 on Aug 13, 2016

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

starkebn posted:

Gatdamn the level of quality of cosplay overall just seems to be getting better and better every year

Cosplay is growing in popularity year after year and as such, cosplayers get into competition with others, for different things.

It's a hell of a social phenomenon and one of my favorite things to photograph.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Yeah, I think people sharing build info for everyone to see also means there is a lot of innovation and iteration. I can remember not too long ago where you would see most costumes and you could tell who the character was but it wasn't quite right because the cloth or other material was off in some way, but now clothing seems to be cut to fit better, or made out of more appropriate or something because it is just working more often. It's the same for big robots and such, the materials are better - the paint jobs are better etc.

I wonder how many people from costume departments are doing cosplay, and how many cosplayers are getting hired by costume/special effects crews.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
There are also a lot more materials available now than there were even 5 years ago. Worbla was originally patented under the name Rhenoflex as a material for shoe inserts and it's insanely prevalent in armor now. The variety of styles and colors of wigs you can get for less than $100 is utterly insane compared to when I started cosplaying in 2002. And JoAnn has a cosplay specific line of fabrics. It is nuts.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

A golden age!

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

starkebn posted:

A golden age!

You may be jesting, but yes, it is definitively becoming an "in" thing to do.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

VendaGoat posted:

It even swings the other way a little, where you have things like FFXIII's Lightning modelling Prada handbags.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Yako isn't currently eating 3 servings of a twelve course meal, 2/10.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

VendaGoat posted:

No, I was just thinking it was really starting to kick into high gear these days

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Is that Garo cosplay? :getin:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

VendaGoat posted:

I know a merchant seaman in his 50s who just took up cosplay. With that we are officially at peak cosplay.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jedit posted:

I know a merchant seaman in his 50s who just took up cosplay. With that we are officially at peak cosplay.

Okay, you can't say something like this without telling us what he's planning to cosplay as :suspense:.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Okay, you can't say something like this without telling us what he's planning to cosplay as :suspense:.

I'm hoping for Captain Haddock myself.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sailor Venus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

(These guys are INCREDIBLY popular, there's like a million posts of people getting questioned/arrested.)

Lemme know if I'm overstepping my bounds and posting too much poo poo.

ACES CURE PLANES has a new favorite as of 15:25 on Aug 13, 2016

• Locked thread