Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

gently caress yes dudes, MIM/MIJ Jackson Dinky's are out of this world GO GO GO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I think I'll be getting a Jackson MIJ for Eb tuning after the last few posts.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah a local shop has a couple MIJ Jacksons that haven't sold in forever and if they continue to have not sold by the time tax refund season hits I'm probably biting next year

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I have a black mid 2000s MIJ DKMG with 81/85s. My second electric guitar actually. Honestly I haven't cared for it in years and it feels a little clunky to me. Perfect straightforward metal guitar though. Then again it definitely needs to be setup.

If anyone wants it let me know and I might sell it.

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax
Anyone here own any guitars from Monoprice? I was thinking of picking up a blue Retro Vision (their Telecaster model) and just wanted to know how they are quality wise.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

a retard posted:

Anyone here own any guitars from Monoprice? I was thinking of picking up a blue Retro Vision (their Telecaster model) and just wanted to know how they are quality wise.

I picked one up as a science experiment about a year and a half ago. For the price, I was somewhat impressed by it. As long as you are expecting nothing but a cheap guitar that doesn't have any glaring defects, then go for it. I got the Les Paul knockoff, so maybe it's apples and oranges, but it's a working, playable instrument for dirt cheap.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
If you don't mind spending a few more bucks the entry level Yamaha Pacifica is a legit good guitar and not just good for the price.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Posting here cause close enough. I went and saw Billy Talent last night and two things stood out to me.

First, Ian D'Sa is a monster on guitar and they sounded huge despite only having one guitar that was often doing lead. I feel the need to learn some of his riffs now.

Second, I didn't bring ear plugs and that was loving DUMB AS poo poo. I'm seeing Ufomammut in October and I know they'll be even louder. So what are good ear plugs that retain the character of the sound but don't cost an arm and a leg? I'm in Brisbane, Australia if that matters. I just want to enjoy the music and not go deaf. Budget is like maybe a hundred or so didgeridollars?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I'd also like to hear a good answer to that but I love that Australians across the internet embrace being a parody of their own culture.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
I'm in Melbourne and I use Etymotic ER-20s. They run $20-25 a pop and work great.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

syntaxfunction posted:

So what are good ear plugs that retain the character of the sound but don't cost an arm and a leg? I'm in Brisbane, Australia if that matters. I just want to enjoy the music and not go deaf. Budget is like maybe a hundred or so didgeridollars?

I've tried etymotics and westone plugs, and I much prefer the westones. They have replaceable filters, but I believe the stock ones are -20db, which is pretty good for me. I keep them in my car, so they're always around if I need them.

https://www.amazon.com/Westone-Univ...ician+ear+plugs

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

a retard posted:

I've heard a lot of speculation that they're rebadges of the Rondo SX line

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

What's a good price for a MIJ Dinky? There's a few in one of my local stores.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
Just ordered a new old stock mij DK2T (still has the tags) for $550. (Kind of hard to tell if I overpaid since the prices for these are all over the place though.) I'll post pics/impressions when I get it - thanks for the assurance that the MIJ guitars are quality y'all.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
That's an okay price if it's actually new. $3-500 is acceptable for used.

I paid about $650 for a MIJ Kelly back in the 90s.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Honestly mid-range kelly with EMGs is my current white whale - but the MIJ strat and MIM Dinky and this thread is giving me all kinds of good feels.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

There's a listing on eBay right now for a DKMG with EMG 81 85's and a hard case for 449 - that's a pretty great deal, right? Since EMGs are 200 bucks alone.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Mr E posted:

There's a listing on eBay right now for a DKMG with EMG 81 85's and a hard case for 449 - that's a pretty great deal, right? Since EMGs are 200 bucks alone.

That's a pretty awesome deal so long as the setup isn't hosed and the neck isn't warped or something.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Got my Highway 1 in the mail today. I officially have a strat problem.

2002 Highway 1 - 2014 EC Strat - 2013 American Standard

I have big plans for the highway 1. Going to replace the tuners with the Fender locking kind. Going to slap a black 3 ply pick guard on it and replace the pickups and knobs. Might black out all the accessories

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Captain Apollo posted:

Got my Highway 1 in the mail today. I officially have a strat problem.

2002 Highway 1 - 2014 EC Strat - 2013 American Standard

I have big plans for the highway 1. Going to replace the tuners with the Fender locking kind. Going to slap a black 3 ply pick guard on it and replace the pickups and knobs. Might black out all the accessories

this is a beautiful sight

fantasy zone
Jul 24, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
you bought the same guitar three times

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

fantasy zone posted:

you bought the same guitar three times

I kind of did the same when I bought my first new guitar. I started out with a black second hand Ibanez budget Strat copy, and went into the guitar shop after a year or so. I talked to the shopkeeper, and he looked at me and told me to try out a strat. "Hell no, I want something new and cool and stylish and fun", I thought.

After trying out all the other guitars that I thought I wanted, I ended up with... the black MIM Strat that the shopkeeper had told me to get.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Aug 14, 2016

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Yes all my strats are certainly very similar. But there are really major differences between them all.

Not, to find a classic vibes telecaster because apparently when blindfolded Chappers and the Captain from Anderton's can't even tell them apart....

edit: Also, there is something about black MIM strats. Don't know what it is but I've rarely seen a bad example.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Here's a close up of the paint differences in the American Standard (left) and the Highway One (right)

Here's an edited picture with more light and a little contrast.

If you have a chance to grab a highway 1, go for it. There's really fun.

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 14, 2016

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Captain Apollo posted:

Yes all my strats are certainly very similar. But there are really major differences between them all.

Not, to find a classic vibes telecaster because apparently when blindfolded Chappers and the Captain from Anderton's can't even tell them apart....

edit: Also, there is something about black MIM strats. Don't know what it is but I've rarely seen a bad example.

I just watched that episode yesterday (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP_Ks2_m5sI for people who haven't seen it) and I thought it was pretty drat interesting. Cheap guitars have really come a long way in the last twenty years. It's pretty telling that apart from the noisiness of the pickups, the only real give away from the squier was the cheaper feeling switch and knobs, which you probably wouldn't notice unless, like the captain, you spend all day everyday retailing fenders. Unrelated, but also concerning cheap gear, I just found out Dark Tranquility use the behringer pods as their main amps. drat.

So what is the deal with duncan designed pickups? Are they the same designs just made in [guitar builders] factory instead? I put the dd pickup that came with my schecter back in the bridge (I *think* its a JB) but it has this weird sound like its low-passed with a resonant filter. Is this just a giant mid-hump and my brain is misinterpreting it after playing single coils for ages? Also, any idea which duncan single coil is usually paired with a JB? Would be nice to id the neck pickup, which I'm very happy with.

Any suggestions for a cool fuller range, less bumped bucker? I want something that sounds vintage, yet hifi, like keeping the dark mids but little more treble and a little less bass. Or maybe I should just try some higher output singles.

field balm fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 15, 2016

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
For a high output humbucker that doesn't colour your tone I still really really my Dirty Fingers, it's a humbucker but more

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

peter gabriel posted:

For a high output humbucker that doesn't colour your tone I still really really my Dirty Fingers, it's a humbucker but more

Interesting, I was thinking paf-style might be the fix for me but didn't even think to look at gibson's offerings. They're a little expensive but I suppose they're probably the real deal. What kinda styles are you playing with the dirty fingers and in what guitar?

I assumed JB's were mid focused but looking at the little graph on SD's site theyre actually treble heavy but with a boosted upper mid. I think in such a heavy mahogany guitar its all adding up to too many mids and sounding overly muddy. SD's '59 bridge or the custom-5 sound like they're worth a shot and not too expensive - anyone tried these?

E: If i put two single coil sized pickups in the humbucker position will the magnets gently caress each other up? If I could jam a lil '59 and a sinner in there that would maybe be perfect.

field balm fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 15, 2016

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

field balm posted:

Interesting, I was thinking paf-style might be the fix for me but didn't even think to look at gibson's offerings. They're a little expensive but I suppose they're probably the real deal. What kinda styles are you playing with the dirty fingers and in what guitar?

I assumed JB's were mid focused but looking at the little graph on SD's site theyre actually treble heavy but with a boosted upper mid. I think in such a heavy mahogany guitar its all adding up to too many mids and sounding overly muddy. SD's '59 bridge or the custom-5 sound like they're worth a shot and not too expensive - anyone tried these?

E: If i put two single coil sized pickups in the humbucker position will the magnets gently caress each other up? If I could jam a lil '59 and a sinner in there that would maybe be perfect.

I use the guitar with the Dirty Fingers in it for louder stuff at the end of our set, I just put that on and everything gets louder ha ha, now that is valve driven loud, not gain. I suppose I can sort of push early Sabbath sort of volumes. It can handle gainier stuff if I ever feel the need though - it's a tight pickup.
The guitar is a 65 Fender Mustang, everyone calls it The Bastard, because it doesn't gently caress around when pushed, I love the thing.

I've seen the pickups around online for £50 here and there. They have a bite that never really goes away, lush cleans aren't its thing but crystal clear cutting cleans are. They were designed to push va;ve amps harder than other pickups of the time, and they do that well.

I've also got some Slash Seymours in a Les Paul and they are bitey but retain a warm edge, they aren't as brutal as the Dirty Finger can be though

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

peter gabriel posted:

They have a bite that never really goes away, lush cleans aren't its thing but crystal clear cutting cleans are.

I have a set of Dirty Fingers in a maple capped V and can confirm this. They are good for look-at-me cleans that are maybe a little dirty.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm trying to decide between a DK2-M or DKMG Dinky for Eb tuning. Any reason to get one over the other?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I'm pretty sure the only difference is pickups, the DK2M is seymour duncan pickups and the DKMG is EMGs. Quality wise they should be about the same.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Shugojin posted:

I'm pretty sure the only difference is pickups, the DK2M is seymour duncan pickups and the DKMG is EMGs. Quality wise they should be about the same.

Alright, the DKMG I'm looking at already has 81 85's installed so I'll probably go with that one since I'd probably replace the standard EMGs with those anyways.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

those are standard emgs??

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Oh no I mean it's standard 81/85.

There was another DKMG/DXMG range that was like a hundred bucks cheaper that had the H4/H4A and an active preamp on a push/pull that I had and miss even though I got rid of the stock pickups because it was really nice to play

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm looking at this listing. The description says that HZs were originally in the guitar - is that right or wrong?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Mr E posted:

I'm looking at this listing. The description says that HZs were originally in the guitar - is that right or wrong?

It's very possible. Like I said, there were two ranges to the MG series, one with the actives and another with the passive HZs

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Japanese has know well for their high quality and mastered craftsmanship in guitar building

If you are a rock and metal mayhem, this is a must have.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

comes along bort posted:

Japanese has know well for their high quality and mastered craftsmanship in guitar building

If you are a rock and metal mayhem, this is a must have.

That's the best part of ebay listings, though.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

comes along bort posted:

If you are a rock and metal mayhem

Can confirm this about myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
For awhile now I've been doing scales just to try and hammer them in, but never really actively applying them. Most of the time when I try to learn a song I'm doing the rhythm parts because they seem easier (or it's a song without much lead at all).

Yesterday I was bored so I thought gently caress it, changed my Rocksmith path to Lead and had a loving blast trying to learn lead for Boston - Peace of Mind.

I always only ever choose Rhythm (in general) because I'm such a newb but now I think maybe I was doing myself a bit of a disservice because it is really fun trying to play lead and/or solos.

Keeping in mind I know that technically, Peace of Mind is very basic, but I like going all over the fret board and figuring out which sections of which scales are being used and just generally finding it more fun. It was like a breath of fresh air looking at a song from a different perspective.

Suggestions for other "easy" lead songs?