Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Trollhawke posted:

So I'm working on a hack and I was wondering if there was any written guides somewhere which help with writing an agenda? I have most of the mechanics planned out, but the agenda I'm finding is the hardest thing to write. I have the basics down like "make sure everyone (including yourself) has fun", "explore these themes", so on and so forth, but I was hoping for some solid advice on how to optimize and make my GM's agenda better.

The agenda is there to do two things. Give you general guidelines for playing PBTA (play to find out what happens) and reinforce the core genre themes your game is emulating.

Keep the agenda items that reference PBTA play pretty much as-is, flavouring them with your theme as you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

madadric posted:

The agenda is there to do two things. Give you general guidelines for playing PBTA (play to find out what happens) and reinforce the core genre themes your game is emulating.

Keep the agenda items that reference PBTA play pretty much as-is, flavouring them with your theme as you can.

To expand on this. Keep the general pbta ones the same, but otherwise be specific about what your game is about.

Do you want them solving mysteries? Make an agenda like "seek out and solve mysteries"

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Anyone know of any moves that are desert themed? Planning to run the low Fallen Empire game in the desert.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Apocron posted:

Anyone know of any moves that are desert themed? Planning to run the low Fallen Empire game in the desert.

Make water important.
Like a hard move could be "you are dehydrated, -1 ongoing until you can find water"

If it's a hot desert, travelling during midday could trigger whatever Act Under Fire is called in FE.

I think 'make the environment a threat' is already in the gm stuff somewhere, but if not it would be a good agenda. Lean on that a lot.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Apocron posted:

Do you have access to the Water-Bearer playbook from the second edition? It's easy to make primitive and suits your likely scarcity.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Apocron posted:

Not a move per se, but make sure to have the desert itself be a Threat -- probably a Maze, since its drives are to trap and to frustrate passage. Then it's got moves like "bar the way" or "take something away: lost, used up, destroyed" to ruin everyone's day. You could even have it be a front unto itself, and include various Landscape or Terrain threats inside it, depending on how important you want the fact that they live in a desert to be to the story.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Thanks for the advice guys.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Can someone give me a brief rundown in a typical pbta game of how you would handle the big bad as a gm? The big superguy? The Darth Vader style scary and dangerous Endboss fight? I've only played dw and it's a bit more classically "has a bucket of HP and hits harder" for those type of encounters.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

ShineDog posted:

Can someone give me a brief rundown in a typical pbta game of how you would handle the big bad as a gm? The big superguy? The Darth Vader style scary and dangerous Endboss fight? I've only played dw and it's a bit more classically "has a bucket of HP and hits harder" for those type of encounters.

*extremely Steve Ballmer voice*
Hard Moves, Hard Moves, Hard Moves, Hard Moves, Hard Moves, Hard Moves, Hard Moves, Hard Moves, Hard Moves, Hard Moves, Hard Moves...

Rolled a 6-? Dude just called in backup.
Rolled a 7-9, yeah you did the thing, but he just ducked behind cover now you gotta go find him, oh look a sniper covering that entrance...

Take/break their poo poo. Frustrate them. Think tactically as a powerful dude who plans to wake up a powerful dude tomorrow.

Unlike d&d, aw does actually benefit from being ever so slightly adversarial in these situations. A hard move is basically the game saying "you can be an rear end in a top hat right now". Soft moves are "tell your players one or more of the ways you can be an rear end in a top hat here".

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

ShineDog posted:

Funny you should mention Dungeon World, because Sage LaTorra wrote reposted (I feel really dumb for not noticing this before posting) an article about this. The short version is that you need to focus on fictional positioning to make things impressive, no matter how big or small their numbers are. Sure, Lord Everwinter has just as many wounds as anyone else and the entirety of that tank's stats are "3-harm explosive, 2-armor, blow up real good when someone gets a good hit". But how are you going to run Lord Everwinter through when he wields Frostmorne and you feel your flesh freeze as soon as you lock blades? How are you going to deal with that tank when your shotgun can't do anything to it's armor and it's about to run over your cover? Those are the questions you need to ask if you want your big bads to actually feel big. And, as Error 404 said, this is just using your moves and following the fiction. Sure, you'd need to adjust how you do this based on the game you're playing, but that's why good GM moves are so important.

(Well, and you could make custom moves to help reinforce the fiction surrounding those kinds of characters, but I feel like it's more important to emphasize the fictional approach when we're talking about making things impressive without hitting people with giant mechanical sticks.)

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 24, 2016

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

ShineDog posted:

Play Fellowship, which has rules that not only support, but enforce the role of the "Big Bad" and their generals as fictionally powerful enemies.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I'm balancing my options of which base system to reskin to be appropriate since I don't love the part finished nature of the star wars hack and the other scifi pbta game I have, uncharted worlds, has a one roll combat move that's a bit binary for my liking (it's not trade harm, it's pretty much 'end the battle') and a mass of cruft elsewhere.

I'm looking at hacking/reskinning spirit of 77 actually, since it, weirdly, seems it would map over quite nicely to pure scifi. I'll pop my inevitably terrible results into the thread at some point.

I'm not sure about reskinning fellowship per se but I'll definately tale a look at the overlord stuff and see if anything can be ported over.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

ShineDog posted:

I'm looking at hacking/reskinning spirit of 77 actually, since it, weirdly, seems it would map over quite nicely to pure scifi.

Well that sounds Dandy, baby.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

ShineDog posted:

I've been playing around with formalizing some of the ideas in Dungeon World and Urban Shadows that describe how to make a really dangerous opponent. I think it's all about the barriers to just stabbing him so what I do is come up with 1-5 answers to the question, "Why can't they just stab (or shoot or blow up) this guy?"

So if I'm doing a Darth Vader type I might answer:

1.Because he is a Master of the Force and will deflect simple attacks!
2. Because he has all the Might of the Empire behind him, and cannot be approached easily!
3. Because he has powerful armor that protects him!
4. Because he has magical senses and can forsee any threat!

If the PCs are planning to take down this terrible threat, they'll have to figure out a way to overcome each of the defenses and it becomes a heist battle that's all about the prep work going into it and then the final showdown where it all pays off, maybe with a twist or counterattack if they have some missed rolls. If they're surprised by an opponent like this, it becomes a puzzle fight where they discover each layer and then improv ways to overcome it, or they're overwhelmed and have to flee and develop countermeasures. I'll usually give this kind of enemy relatively weak numbers, but attacks that don't address these defensive layers fizzle out while providing information about why they fizzled out. So "Han you got a perfect (10+) shot on this prick in black armor! But each shot is just absorbed by his hand! It's some kind of sorcery making him impervious to such a simple weapon! What do you do?"

You can also just not let them roll their attack moves until the enemy is actually vulnerable to the attack and give them the info, but I usually run PBP where they roll ahead of time.

Mr. Prokosch fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 25, 2016

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

If you enjoy reading rulebooks and paying for good things, you should grab Fellowship. Part of the Overlord mechanics are exactly that.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Has anyone here run a game of the Warren, and what were your thoughts on it? I've run Night Witches before but this is very different.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

ShineDog posted:

The story of the 16 HP Dragon probably applies equally well to other PbtA games.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Vincent and Meguey are doing an AMA right now.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
A new PbtA game game out about Avatar The Last Airbender/ Legend of Korra. I vaguely remember writing it off back in the day, but it could have gotten better with playtesting. Anyone own it? It any good.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I'm really struggling to flesh out a move that represents Nathan Drake/Indiana Jones/Lara Crofts uncanny ability to find a convenient ladder, handhold, tunnel, whatever, as the temple collapses in flames into the sand around them. Probably because when you're playing a game in that kind of setting, of course there is a ladder, handhold, or secret tunnel when the temple collapses in flames into the sand.

TheLoneAmigo
Jan 3, 2013

ShineDog posted:

I'm really struggling to flesh out a move that represents Nathan Drake/Indiana Jones/Lara Crofts uncanny ability to find a convenient ladder, handhold, tunnel, whatever, as the temple collapses in flames into the sand around them. Probably because when you're playing a game in that kind of setting, of course there is a ladder, handhold, or secret tunnel when the temple collapses in flames into the sand.

If it's an automatic part of the setting, why does it need to be a move?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I'm kind of wobbling back and forward on it. I think the issue I have is this - dramatic escapes from crumbling temples are absolutely baked into the pulp adventure template, but at the same time they are entirely baked into the lead characters of those stories. It's something Nathan Drake or Indy does, it's not really Cutter or Sully or Marions thing to nearly the same extent. If the muscle or the conman characters have come along and gotten stuck in the temple, it's the two fisted adventurer who finds the way out.

So yeah, it's definately a part of the setting, but if you make that specific thing equally available to everyone, the two fisted adventurer loses something.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

ShineDog posted:

I'm kind of wobbling back and forward on it. I think the issue I have is this - dramatic escapes from crumbling temples are absolutely baked into the pulp adventure template, but at the same time they are entirely baked into the lead characters of those stories. It's something Nathan Drake or Indy does, it's not really Cutter or Sully or Marions thing to nearly the same extent. If the muscle or the conman characters have come along and gotten stuck in the temple, it's the two fisted adventurer who finds the way out.

So yeah, it's definately a part of the setting, but if you make that specific thing equally available to everyone, the two fisted adventurer loses something.

Give the two-fisted adventurer playbook a move like "When you need to make a dramatic escape, you always find a ladder, rope, open window, secret tunnel, or other exit out of here, right at the last moment." Maybe name it something like "That was a close one."

If you need something to be automatic, well, buddy, you're writing in a system where you can just DO that. Its a-okay to make moves where nice things just happen for free under specific circumstances.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
If you want it to be auto, make a move where fails mean there's snakes or it's on fire.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Yeah.

When you escape from a perilous situation using yadda yadda roll + whatever. 10+ you do it with heroic style, take +1 forward. On a 7-9 you make it by the skin of your teeth. On a miss the way is treacherous.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Or just adapt from AW

gently caress this poo poo: name your escape route and roll+hard. On a 10+, sweet, you’re gone. On a 7–9, you can go or stay, but if you go it costs you: leave something behind, or take something with you, the MC will tell you what. On a miss, you’re caught vulnerable, half in and half out.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Or just adapt from AW

gently caress this poo poo: name your escape route and roll+hard. On a 10+, sweet, you’re gone. On a 7–9, you can go or stay, but if you go it costs you: leave something behind, or take something with you, the MC will tell you what. On a miss, you’re caught vulnerable, half in and half out.

This is what you should do.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

chaos rhames posted:

If you want it to be auto, make a move where fails mean there's snakes or it's on fire.

On a 7-9 there's snakes, or something is on fire. On a miss, it's both.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Made a Succubus skin for Monsterhearts, looking for feedback - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PH_LlKZI3UvcWapWimVjwWm3GXo9kK20tftG8FIF_IE/edit

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
First impression is it's way more of a genie unless most bargains are awkward handjobs behind the bikeshed.

HmmmWhat
Apr 10, 2013
So I'm trying to add Eclipse Phase/Altered Carbon style morphs and stacks to The Sprawl. This is what I've got so far.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FRbB8HsXlcjM31VLjH_lTJD94k_WYhtFpmbciJ3oTHc/edit?usp=sharing
Is there anything I'm missing? What do you think?

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

chaos rhames posted:

First impression is it's way more of a genie unless most bargains are awkward handjobs behind the bikeshed.

In Highschool? More than you'd think!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Before I look, how does this differ from the 500 other succubi skins?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Why are people making succubi skins for a game about playing teenagers

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Alaois posted:

Why are people making succubi skins for a game about playing teenagers

Because the game about playing teenagers happens to have sex-related mechanics, one of which is called a Sex Move.

I mean, you don't have to have your teenage MH characters have sex, but you can't pretend like the game system doesn't encourage the player to at least think about that kind of thing.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
so what high school clique does the succubus act as a parallel to? because I can't see it leading to anything healthy or tasteful

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Nuns with Guns posted:

so what high school clique does the succubus act as a parallel to? because I can't see it leading to anything healthy or tasteful

Isn't the Infernal already a drug addict (or at least some kind of addict)? Several of the playbooks aren't exactly positive parallels.
Although I have a soft spot for the Infernal because all the other Skins have a couple of lines in the GM advice section, and then the Infernal gets like three paragraphs.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
My succubus, at least, it's the drug dealer, or more generally a person that finds value in other people owing them or needing them, even if it's a toxic relationship.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
That's way more like a djinn. You're granting wishes and twisting them, or punishing people for not following their end of bargains. The first half of the sex move doesn't really fit either. If it's all about temptation, why does sex mean you lose your edge on them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

bewilderment posted:

Isn't the Infernal already a drug addict (or at least some kind of addict)? Several of the playbooks aren't exactly positive parallels.
Although I have a soft spot for the Infernal because all the other Skins have a couple of lines in the GM advice section, and then the Infernal gets like three paragraphs.

I'm more concerned that a succubus playbook following the actual premise of a succubus would fall into either the really uncomfortable "class slut" school archetype, or worse, go deep into the rape territory that other playbooks (ghoul, vampire) already brush uncomfortably close to. The execution of the succubus playbook here doesn't dip into that, but at the same time that means it also doesn't behave at all like a succubus/incubus is established to behave in mythology and is more like a djin, as chaos rhames says, or something closer to the Old Scratch-type of demonic entity