Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
It's GBS. Why is a call for people to kill themselves being made anonymously instead of direct like usual? And why did HH get probd for posting a second-hand call to suicide when like probably 10% of the posts here are first-hand "kill urself OP" or similar?

Free HH and then everyone kill themselves is what I'm saying I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.

st1LL_51ngl3 posted:

It's GBS. Why is a call for people to kill themselves being made anonymously instead of direct like usual? And why did HH get probd for posting a second-hand call to suicide when like probably 10% of the posts here are first-hand "kill urself OP" or similar?

Free HH and then everyone kill themselves is what I'm saying I guess.

Because policing internet forum is arbitrary and is inconsistent, there is no trial or jury, just arbitrary judgement by individual who all have different views on what is and is not acceptable discussion.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

My confession is that I just celebrated my 15th year anniversary working at Kmart. I’m 32 years old. I haven’t really advanced much either. When I started work, I made $6 an hour and now I make $10.50 an hour. I live in a shithole apartment. I lost contact with all of my friends because they no longer want to be associated with me. In my off hours, I just play video games and smoke weed. The last time I got laid was four years ago and it was with someone who was so hideous that I never told anyone about it. I tried going to school several times in my 20s but I eventually gave up.

I don’t feel suicidal but this is as good as it gets for me. Each year, I get fatter, balder, and ever closer to death. My parents on my 30th birthday tried to stage an “intervention” where I was to move back home, go back to school, and unfuck my life. I remember getting so angry that neighbors came by and asked if they needed to call the police. I’m having fun with No Man’s Sky so that’s enough to get me through the next couple of weeks.

quote:

I'm sorry if this isn't a terribly interesting confession but it's been on my mind for a few weeks now so I'll just confess to get it out of my system.

I'm 21 right now and for the past six years I've been romantically attached to a person I've never met.

Basically I met a girl on DeviantArt when I was fifteen and quickly became good friends. She lived on the other side of the country and at the time I met her, she was suffering from chronic illness. I had abusive parents and a trouble making friends, she suffered from a life threatening illness, we were both pretty vulnerable. So basically for the first two years talking to her was truly something I looked forward to everyday. I've had the deepest, most emotionally involved conversations, crying and laughing and junk, you know. I guess it was a way to escape my life, and a way to escape hers. We made plans to meet when I graduated High School but she began to lose interest, I don't blame her. For the past few years she's been growing more and more distant until this year, when she didn't even send me Birthday wishes, that was always a big deal to us, our birthdays. I guess that's when I finally accepted it was over.

It's really lame and dumb but she really meant a lot to me and it really hurt, I was naive enough to think it would ever work out but it doesn't make me feel any better. I've only recently felt better, no more tears and I can honestly say I can live without her now. Maybe sometime in the future we will meet and we'll be friends, but I'm not counting on it. I just hope I can find someone like her again but in the flesh.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
KMart goon: thank you for specifying that you're not suicidal, as it would be too much for this particular thread to handle

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

st1LL_51ngl3 posted:

... Free HH and then everyone kill themselves is what I'm saying I guess.

OK, you first.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Just joking, don't ban me pls.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
That K mart story is depressing for two reasons; being stuck in that kind of Rut and working at K mart for so long.

You probably should've taken your parents advice. I was a lazy goon too and my sole motivator was not wanting to work in retail hell any longer than I have to.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

If you're a fat loser that has no hope of ever improving why not buy better drugs than weed (or at least booze). You'll feel better + die quicker

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Kmart Manager posted:

My confession is that I just celebrated my 15th year anniversary working at Kmart. I’m 32 years old. I haven’t really advanced much either. When I started work, I made $6 an hour and now I make $10.50 an hour. I live in a shithole apartment. I lost contact with all of my friends because they no longer want to be associated with me. In my off hours, I just play video games and smoke weed. The last time I got laid was four years ago and it was with someone who was so hideous that I never told anyone about it. I tried going to school several times in my 20s but I eventually gave up.

I don’t feel suicidal but this is as good as it gets for me. Each year, I get fatter, balder, and ever closer to death. My parents on my 30th birthday tried to stage an “intervention” where I was to move back home, go back to school, and unfuck my life. I remember getting so angry that neighbors came by and asked if they needed to call the police. I’m having fun with No Man’s Sky so that’s enough to get me through the next couple of weeks.

Eh, welcome to life I guess. Just remember that no matter how much money or fun you have you will eventually get to an equilibrium. It's why rich people can be depressed when it seems impossible for poor people. If you're sort of happy now, that's probably as good as most people have it.

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

I can't stand being in a Kmart for 15 minutes.
How did you commit 15 years their
What is your plan when the Kmart eventually closes down

HOT! New Memes fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Aug 12, 2016

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Taste the Rainbugh posted:

I can't stand being in a Kmart for 15 minutes.
How did you commit 15 years their
What is your plan when the Kmart eventually closes down

It'll be like the last Huey out of Saigon for him.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Every Kmart I've ever been in looks like it's about to close down

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

My friend is a former drug addict turning his life around and has been clean for months. He is applying for jobs and asks me to be a reference for him. I agree. Whenever I get calls from firms asking me to talk about him, I tell them stories about what drugs he was hooked on, what desperate poo poo he did while he was at the low point of his life, and mention that while he’s fine now, he could relapse at any moment.

Naturally he doesn’t hear back from any of the employers. So he asked me to provide pointers, which I do. Then he puts my name down as a reference and proceeds to never get a job offer. Maybe he will figure it out one day but he’s not very bright so it will take a while until he puts two and two together.

quote:

I have a problem with the weirdest sort of synesthesia. No, I'm not seeing tones as colors. It's also very specific, there are only two songs at the moment that trigger the association;

The chorus of Bob Marley & The Wailer's Positive Vibrations
and
the sung parts of John Coltrane's A Love Supreme

Both of these feature a chorus of black men who somehow sound like they are butt naked and wearing socks on their cocks.

I can never shake that image off my head when listening to these tunes so I tend to avoid them, as good as they are, but the Bob Marley song has been playing in my head for several hours now and I'm seeing a group of Jamaican men with socks on their dicks singing "Rasta man vibration yeah... IRIE vibration yeah...". The COltrane example is even worse, because it's just one phrase repeated ad nauseam, but luckily the memory trace is so weak it rarely becomes an earworm.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Bad job reference goon, are you sabotaging this guy on purpose or is this an "aw shucks I'm just telling them the truth" kind of thing, because if it's the latter you should probably give him the "list someone else as a reference" pointer at some point

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Job reference dude is a legit terrible person who should probably kill himself.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

"My friend"? What the gently caress is this? Who would legitimately do this to an actual friend? He's most likely worked harder than you ever have trying to overcome his addictions, and you're just standing there, at the top of the ladder, with a boot on his face. Good job, fuckface :bravo:

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

"My friend"? What the gently caress is this? Who would legitimately do this to an actual friend? He's most likely worked harder than you ever have trying to overcome his addictions, and you're just standing there, at the top of the ladder, with a boot on his face. Good job, fuckface :bravo:

You just gave him a raging erection.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Reference goon is scum

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Monkey Fracas posted:

Every Kmart I've ever been in looks like it's about to close down

I like to imagine that if you go deep enough into the bowels of any K-Mart you find a knotted ball of necrotic spirits suspended in perpetual torment. Each one is a dead department store-- Caldor, Bradless, American Woolworth's... if any one of them is removed all the K-Marts in the world will close that very day.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
And when the last K-mart closes, its undead spirit will be added to the group and will prop up another dying chain. It's never-ending.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

loquacius posted:

Bad job reference goon, are you sabotaging this guy on purpose or is this an "aw shucks I'm just telling them the truth" kind of thing, because if it's the latter you should probably give him the "list someone else as a reference" pointer at some point

Sounds like they want to end the friendship but are too much of a passive-aggrssive pissbitch to actually have a confrontation

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
First confession in a while that's made me legitimately go 'Whyyyyyy?' out loud like a dork.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

VanSandman posted:

First confession in a while that's made me legitimately go 'Whyyyyyy?' out loud like a dork.

It's like if the guy who wanted to ruin a girl's wedding for no reason added on "also this girl has been my friend for many years and turns to me with all her problems, trusting me to do the right thing"

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

KomodoWagon posted:

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop

KomodoWagon posted:

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop
This friend of mine...well, he's not really a friend, just a person I know. In fact, I hate him. This person I hate...

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

KomodoWagon posted:

lol that you thought this was a good idea when the op is on probation for posting a confession from someone who wanted to commit suicide :downsbravo:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

bradzilla posted:

lol that you thought this was a good idea when the op is on probation for posting a confession from someone who wanted to commit suicide :downsbravo:

thats the joke you loser

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Ah, gently caress. :(

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Seriously, down with this sort of thing.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

bradzilla posted:

Ah, gently caress. :(

yeah your life is pretty much over now, you will never recover from the shame

seppuku is the only thing left to restore your honor

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
You absolutely should give an honest review of a person if they put you down as a reference. That's not the bad part, everything the guy said is likely true and of great interest to the employer. However, you also have the obligation to say "I like you, but I can't give a good reference for you in good faith" if someone asks and you can't.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Why should a good faith reference include stories about a person's drug addictions? I'm assuming the guy isn't referring his "friend" for a position at his current workplace.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
one time I drank a bottle of baileys and a bottle of vodka together and poo poo my pants while passed out

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
if you can't lie to an employer (that you don't work for) to help your friend out you are a piece of poo poo, and I hope your friend saved an infected needle to stab you with when he finds out

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I don't think its cool to demand someone lie for you, but like, if they ask 'hey could you give a positive reference' and you're like 'SURE FRIEND' and than don't do that maybe you're a shitsoul.

crackton
May 9, 2009
Non anonymous confession: every morning my dog jumps on the bed and lays down on me in a way that her elbows jab my sack. I'm starting to think was trained to do this by her previous owner.

I got her from a friend who's helping me with my recovery from drugs and alcohol. He's been giving me pointers on my resume, and even acting as a reference for me.

I'm probably just paranoid about the dog nut bashing thing. Wish me luck, time for some more interviews.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

crackton posted:

Non anonymous confession: every morning my dog jumps on the bed and lays down on me in a way that her elbows jab my sack. I'm starting to think was trained to do this by her previous owner.

I got her from a friend who's helping me with my recovery from drugs and alcohol. He's been giving me pointers on my resume, and even acting as a reference for me.

I'm probably just paranoid about the dog nut bashing thing. Wish me luck, time for some more interviews.

yeah that sounds like paranoia. Dogs are notoriously bad about sack awareness and personal space, plus the sack is warm and comfy if you're a retarded beast. Just smack it on the head and bellow at it and it'll get the message 'don't jump on dudes dicks'

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Motherfucker posted:

I don't think its cool to demand someone lie for you, but like, if they ask 'hey could you give a positive reference' and you're like 'SURE FRIEND' and than don't do that maybe you're a shitsoul.

That's what I was saying - if you don't think you can provide a good one, just say so. If he's clean now surely he'd understand that he hosed a lot of friends over as a result of his problem.

References lose their meaning if you're supposed to say "yeah sure hire that guy" no matter what because of some ~friend code~ or something. You should only be asking people for references that you know have a positive view of your skills and personality, not some random friends. That'd be OK when you're looking for a publix bagger job at 16 because you won't have anybody else, but as an adult you should know you can't count on a 100% positive review based just on your friendship. One of my closer friends applied for a job with the DOD and I got interviewed and I told them the truth, including the unsavory bits of them seeming to have a drinking problem etc (and I mentioned if they asked about it I'd have to disclose it and they were ok with it). They still got the job.

I'd even argue lying for your friends on references is just setting them up for failure. Tell the truth or don't agree to be a reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
if you ask someone that is your friend for a job reference for a random company that he has nothing to do with and he says "i don't know if I can in good faith tell a Job Creator something untrue durrrrrrrr" then that's a clean shoot in Stand Your Ground states, just sayin'

• Locked thread