Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I don't believe this but I've never ridden a wr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
They're both slower than poo poo.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Razzled posted:

I don't believe this but I've never ridden a wr

I think kitted out DRZs approach WR speeds. You should get a 454, carb, cams, valves, and pipe bro.

So what tires are people buying for DRZs these days? Looks like everything good (that I knew of) is discontinued now. Pilot Powers, Battlax BT16s, Battleax S20 Evos. All gone.
And I need new tires.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Are WRs fast? Isnt it a 250?

If youre worried about how fast it goes maybe you dont GET supermotos.

I often wish the DRZ had a 6th gear though.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
I just assumed he was talking about the WR450, not the 250.

I'm ballparking the numbers because I cba to google, but I think the 450 makes about 50whp, while a bored out (non grenade) $$$ DRZ makes high 40s. Could easily be wrong, DRZs are fat. I don't intend on loving with the top end on mine until it dies.

That said, speed is an issue when you live in an area where you need to do 75 on an interstate to get anywhere fun.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Marxalot posted:

I just assumed he was talking about the WR450, not the 250.

I'm ballparking the numbers because I cba to google, but I think the 450 makes about 50whp, while a bored out (non grenade) $$$ DRZ makes high 40s. Could easily be wrong, DRZs are fat.

The WRx is a 250.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
I don't know if it's correct, and I don't really understand dirtbike naming schemes for the most part. But a lot of nerds on the internet refer to WR450s and 250s as WR(numbers)x.

I've never ridden a stock DRZ, but I can't imagine it being sluggish compared to a 250. Fairly identical, sure probably. But I'm just assuming he means the 450s. Which are generally mean as poo poo compared to a pokey rear end stock DRZ (35 crank? Idr)

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Marxalot posted:

I don't know if it's correct, and I don't really understand dirtbike naming schemes for the most part. But a lot of nerds on the internet refer to WR450s and 250s as WR(numbers)x.

I've never ridden a stock DRZ, but I can't imagine it being sluggish compared to a 250. Fairly identical, sure probably. But I'm just assuming he means the 450s. Which are generally mean as poo poo compared to a pokey rear end stock DRZ (35 crank? Idr)

The 450s are conversions for street. Yamaha doesnt sell a street legal version. Thats why I assumed he meant the 250.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Well he owns a 250 so also there is that. Obviously a 450 makes the drZ look like a joke

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Razzled posted:

Well he owns a 250 so also there is that. Obviously a 450 makes the drZ look like a joke

Ya pretty much any dirt bike is gonna make the DRZ feel like a tractor.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Stock DRZs are slower than all hell. It can be cured with enough $ and time.

Marxalot posted:

So what tires are people buying for DRZs these days? Looks like everything good (that I knew of) is discontinued now. Pilot Powers, Battlax BT16s, Battleax S20 Evos. All gone.
And I need new tires.

I run a 150/60 pilot power 2ct. p good tire for the bay area.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That's why I clarified that it *felt* slower. I think they are still about on par, but the WR is far more motivated. The other rider was beside themselves at how fast my bike was, so it's not just me. It's no speed demon, but the wr250x has a modern high compression engine, vs the drz or whatever other decades old dirtbike motors, or the wr250f.

I've been trying to find something like my WR, with significantly more power, but everything I found is a huge compromise in the reliability/maintenance interval department, or costs way north of $6k. :(

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Maybe you can get lucky and find a used 690 that someone doesn't want an arm and a leg for? Mine is sitting lonely and neglected in my garage 99% of the time and I'd love to see it go to a good home where it will be thoroughly hooned like it should be, but unless you're in the midwest that doesn't do you a lot of good

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I don't think it's very nice to tempt a person to fly and ride 690smc from the midwest to Atlanta, Jazzzzz. I'm just hardcore enough to do it, too.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Coydog posted:

I don't think it's very nice to tempt a person to fly and ride 690smc from the midwest to Atlanta, Jazzzzz. I'm just hardcore enough to do it, too.

I-75 for 8 hours is about the worst possible ride I can imagine on a 690, but it does have Seat Concepts foam+cover on it so at least you wouldn't be sterile by the time you got home.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Which state in the midwest?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I'm in Ohio (Cincinnati area)

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Jazzzzz posted:

I'm in Ohio (Cincinnati area)

Do you have it listed anywhere? How much?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
No, I don't have it listed anywhere. It's an '08 w/ less than 2500 miles (like I said, this bike should not be a garage queen). TBH I have no idea what I'd ask for it, but I don't think Coydog's $6K figure is too far off. $5500? Comes with a fair amount of goodies.

All black plastics with the enduro front fender, KTM front wave rotor, KTM axle sliders, Pro-bend hand guards, the seat concepts seat, aluminum skid plate powder coated black, grip heaters, CRG mirrors, Shorai lithium battery and charger. I have a new x-ring chain I haven't gotten around to putting on it, new -1/+1 front/rear sprockets, filters, Motorex oil, an FMF can that I swapped back for stock, and all of the OEM parts I replaced that would go with it, which includes a set of plastics. Probably ought to put new tires on it before you go tearing too much rear end, they're the stock Pirellis that are 8 years old now.

VV I wanted an SMT so goddamned bad, but now the SuperDuke GT has stolen my heart VV

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Aug 13, 2016

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
That's gorgeous and I have to go to Ohio on Tuesday to help move my sister into her dorms and I want an SMC for reasons I can't put to paper, but I blew my everything on the SMT.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
It's beautiful. And I've been thinking about getting one. And I'm in Ohio. And I have cash. I'll be buying something soon. Within 2 weeks to a month I'd say. Well, something else. I still have my 990 adventure.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Marxalot posted:

I think kitted out DRZs approach WR speeds. You should get a 454, carb, cams, valves, and pipe bro.

And I need new tires.

Alpha 13s

GGPCin
Oct 19, 2004
College Slice
Where can I find a wiring diagram '04 SMC? I have a small problem on my rear tail lights, their wires got sawed apart. I can get everything back together I just don't know where it all goes. I can post pictures if that helps, thanks.

Edit: I got everything sorted out.

GGPCin fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 14, 2016

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

GGPCin posted:

Where can I find a wiring diagram '04 SMC? I have a small problem on my rear tail lights, their wires got sawed apart. I can get everything back together I just don't know where it all goes. I can post pictures if that helps, thanks.

Edit: I got everything sorted out.

Well, here is the wiring diagram for next time.

One of the nicest things about having a supermoto is the freedom of riding style. Dipped off to play in the dirt at a moments notice, while on the way to practice wheelies. I was surprised how controllable the Pilot Streets were. They just plowed forward no matter how loose or uneven the dust was. Didn't dump it once.

Getting pretty good with my 2nd gear wheelies, too, and more comfortable riding it out for longer. I'm very happy with the progress.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 15, 2016

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
where is that it looks like fun, i wanna go

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Regarding my 2011 DRZ400SM, I've been reading about the factory ACCT applying more-than-necessary tension, which leads to Bad Things over a long enough timeline. Swapping it out for a MCCT makes sense, BUT how do I know if the previous owner has already performed this particular operation?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Pretty sure the stock one looks like this:

It's more or less a sealed unit looking type thing because it houses a spring

The manual ones have a lock nut on a threaded bolt, just compare the difference it's pretty easy to check without messing with anything

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

MCCT.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
They almost never need adjusting either. The pro move is to find a DRZ that already has one :v:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I thought they improved the ACCT after 03 or so, and the new one is much more reliable.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Deeters posted:

I thought they improved the ACCT after 03 or so, and the new one is much more reliable.

Yeah I'm not gonna bother with mine ('14)

thumpertalk urban myths dont scare me

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Deeters posted:

2006. mine had the old one, and i was in there anyway...

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Razzled posted:

Yeah I'm not gonna bother with mine ('14)

thumpertalk urban myths dont scare me

You mean you're not going to add high-strength threadlocker to literally everything???

E: Bent my lovely "breaker bar" last weekend because someone did exactly that to the CS sprocket nut on my FZ6. Gonna need to buy a blowtorch and breaker bar this weekend.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 16, 2016

T-Square
May 14, 2009

As I mentioned earlier, I'm working on setting up my XR100 to do supermoto track days at the kart track at Road America, because my friend wanted to do them on his DRZ. Now that I'm starting to collect parts together to convert it to supermoto, he keeps trying to get me to go on supermoto rides with the supermoto hooligan gang through downtown Milwaukee and poo poo.

For some reason he can't fathom why I won't ride a small dirtbike out on public roads and private property without owners' permission. :doh:

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
You don't want to be in a sick supermoto gang?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
^^....next, on worlds lollest police chases...

I am racing my xr100 supermoto sat and sunday this weekend and I don't know what to expect. Two guys that are always there said they will not be there this weekend but this is, more or less, the big race weekend of the season for the track so turn out is usually high. Hard telling how my class grids will be. The bike is good to go, new bt45 on the front, pirelli sport demon with a single race day on the rear, now I just have to go and outperform someone thats been racing motorbikes for probably as long as ive been taking in breaths

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Just be like me in my road racing adventures, race for many years until everyone that beats you gets bumped up to Expert status!

Then you get to win everything and get bumped to Expert status too, and get smoked all over again :v:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

T-Square posted:

As I mentioned earlier, I'm working on setting up my XR100 to do supermoto track days at the kart track at Road America, because my friend wanted to do them on his DRZ. Now that I'm starting to collect parts together to convert it to supermoto, he keeps trying to get me to go on supermoto rides with the supermoto hooligan gang through downtown Milwaukee and poo poo.

For some reason he can't fathom why I won't ride a small dirtbike out on public roads and private property without owners' permission. :doh:

Also now is a super not good time to be loving with law enforcement in Milwaukee

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Oh yeah, totally agree with you. I pretty much avoid Milwaukee altogether anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Racing was great this weekend. Supermoto rules like usual and falling down hurts like always. I raced GP in the dry for the first time since last year and placed 2nd overall which was really great. I found some body position that made me feel stupid looking, hanging far off the bike dragging my knee while trying to keep the bike as up right as possible. That let me stay wide open in 4th around the long corner but I was dropping 4->2 into the tight right hander while hard on the front brake and getting the rear wheel locked up from compression like a ghetto back in. I was all over the leader but I didn't want to risk an aggressive pass because the race leader is all of 8 years old or so but it was absolutely punishing for the bike. In my supermoto final main, I was having some trouble with it popping out of gear. I was so spent by that point I don't know if it was my foot whacking the lever or if there might actually be a problem, but it was only happening in the poo poo dirt section as far as I can recall.

There is only one race left in the season, my gear is just about shot, my bike needs a serious overhaul, and I don't think I could be happier about it.

#21 on the right, little guy can ride

• Locked thread