Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

FISHMANPET posted:

Probably bad advice right above me. Don't use LTSB for standard desktops.

What is the use case for LTSB then? Why do you not recommend for deployment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
LTSB is for mission critical applications like air traffic control and computers that control hospital equipment. Those are the literal examples given by Microsoft. Doing LTSB to avoid the new release schedule is just going to bite you in the rear end eventually, I think, because everything Microsoft is doing is moving fast. You're going to have to start moving fast yourself.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Some MS guy that explained all the options at one of their events basically said LTSB is for kiosks, ePOS, signage etc. and not a corporate desktop where new features and OS upgrades delivered through Windows Update are desirable.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Everyone's environment is different, you have to figure out whats best for you. We're deploying CBB to average users, while LTSB is getting deployed in one particular business unit.

The important thing is understand the differences, and work with your stakeholders to make the right choice for your environment.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

If I enable network discovery and file sharing on on one account, will it do it for everyone else on the computer?

E: the answer is yes.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 2, 2016

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
:fuckoff: AD FS. That is all.

Does anyone understand the feels? :smith:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

lol internet. posted:

:fuckoff: AD FS. That is all.

Does anyone understand the feels? :smith:

Federation Services are complex. It's not really Microsoft thing more the nature of the beast. What's the problem?

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

Tab8715 posted:

Federation Services are complex. It's not really Microsoft thing more the nature of the beast. What's the problem?

Resolved now, but as you said it's more the nature of the beast. For even the smallest things, you can spend hours troubleshooting it if you're not super familiar with the technology.. and lets be honest, how often are you mucking around with AD FS in an organization... normally when the cert expires usually.

Anyways I restored a website to a test environment to use AD FS only to find out the restore had some URLs specifically set to the production URLs which was causing it to not work correctly. Took forever to figure it out.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm running a Robocopy, and I'm getting some files saying they can't be copied because they are being used by other processes. I was wanting to do multiple copies from the same source at the same time, am I not able to do that with robocopy?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm running a Robocopy, and I'm getting some files saying they can't be copied because they are being used by other processes. I was wanting to do multiple copies from the same source at the same time, am I not able to do that with robocopy?

Wrap the statements in powershell with a sleep 5 between the robocopies.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Wouldn't that risk the same thing if one computer was slower than the others? I wasn't thinking, but it's probably relevant that I'm doing it with a looped PSExec to copy files from a single NAS to multiple computers simultaneously.

I had tried using PSExec to start a powershell session and call Copy-Item, but I was having a lot of trouble with that, which is why I was trying robocopy.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I know it's old-fashioned of me especially considering how much Powershell I use daily and encourage others to do so, but I really cannot shake using robocopy. It's just so versatile and good.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I believe I read there are significant speed gains on using the powershell copy feature over later version of SMB. I would factor this in if they're large files.

Robocopy, for all its versatility, is still stuck a bit in the past. So loving lazy I still use richcopy

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

22 Eargesplitten posted:

If the file is persistently locked and you can't close the process doing it then you're going to need to use something with VSS capabilities to capture it hot. I don't think any of the built-in copy utilities can do that, but I might be wrong.

e: Apparently HoboCopy can do it, if you trust it.

BangersInMyKnickers fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 4, 2016

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Run robocopy with /r:0 and /w:0 and then just hope nobody cares about any missing files. YOLO bitches.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

incoherent posted:

I believe I read there are significant speed gains on using the powershell copy feature over later version of SMB. I would factor this in if they're large files.

Robocopy, for all its versatility, is still stuck a bit in the past. So loving lazy I still use richcopy

Roughly 10GB of files.

I finally got the powershell version going when the transfer that normally takes 20 minutes was 40 minutes in and not even halfway done with robocopy. Some of that might be the NAS or computer in question, I don't know. At least, I got it working not using the variables I will be using in the script. Tomorrow I get to see the speed on it.

I honestly like Powershell more than Robocopy or command line just because it's more verbose, so it's a lot easier for me to remember as I'm learning it.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Use something with vss, mate. It is conceptually and architecturally tidy.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I just remove access to the share and do one last sync before the cutover. It's the only way I can be sure that users are not changing files. I guess if you need 24x7 uptime that changes things, but then I would hope you're using other technologies that make moving to a new share easier.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 4, 2016

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

If the file is persistently locked and you can't close the process doing it then you're going to need to use something with VSS capabilities to capture it hot. I don't think any of the built-in copy utilities can do that, but I might be wrong.

e: Apparently HoboCopy can do it, if you trust it.

I'm stoked to see someone mention Hobocopy, that thing was amazing for backing up files in use, it saved my rear end years ago.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/mniehaus/2016/08/08/using-wsus-with-windows-10-1607/

quote:

For those of you who have started deploying Windows 10 1607, you might notice a change in the behavior of the Windows Update agent for PCs that are configured to pull updates from WSUS. Instead of pulling the updates from WSUS, PCs may start grabbing them from peers on your network, leveraging the Delivery Optimization service for referrals to other PCs that have already obtained the content.

quote:

It will add some additional traffic between each client PC and the Delivery Optimization service on the internet, as it has to talk to this internet-only service in order to get a list of peers.

New surprise features slowly trickling out (this was posted today, and someone brought up defender updates were showing up before approvals). Can be disabled via GP

The latest ADMX for 1607 are here

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53430

incoherent fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 8, 2016

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Has anyone seen details of how the delivery optimization service is supposed to work? I have four Windows Home machines on satellite internet at a remote site, would be really nice if they shared a download instead of insisting on grabbing it themselves. The only things I turned up while searching were what buttons to click to turn it off.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

It uses BITS unless something has changed in the last year. You can audit bits activity and there's info online.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

thebigcow posted:

Has anyone seen details of how the delivery optimization service is supposed to work? I have four Windows Home machines on satellite internet at a remote site, would be really nice if they shared a download instead of insisting on grabbing it themselves. The only things I turned up while searching were what buttons to click to turn it off.

Also not strictly related to delivery optimization but have you looked at wsusoffline? You can download updates once, save locally and then install the updates via the local network or USB stick or something. When I worked in western Alaska and had office running off of HughesNet this was a godsend.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
How are logon script GPOs applied to a laptop that's off the network, but can connect to the VPN after a logon? I want to believe that connecting to the VPN will download the script and apply the registry settings to run the script at logon, but I'm not certain.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Logon scripts in the context of logging in have very special privileges that aren't available to the user. You'll need to setup login to VPN before logon.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

incoherent posted:

Logon scripts in the context of logging in have very special privileges that aren't available to the user. You'll need to setup login to VPN before logon.
I figured that was the case, so I made a GPO to copy the files to the local machine, and I'll just send a batch file to our VPN users to run gpupdate /force and run the command I want.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
Some Vpn clients have a post connect script option.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

buffbus posted:

Some Vpn clients have a post connect script option.
We're still using the Cisco VPN Client, and until we upgrade to AnyConnect or literally anything else, I'd rather not mess with it.

poo poo, since my boss is so terrified of asking his boss for money to spend on things we need, maybe I'll spin up an OpenVPN server.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Might as well use RRAS, it's built into windows server.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Oh hey the first patch fuckup from patch tuesday:

http://acton.seagullscientific.com/acton/rif/7853/s-00c7-1608/-/l-dyn-ldc-014d:4a0c/l-dyn-ldc-014d/showPreparedMessage?sid=TV2:poep3qTK7

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Question is, is this a Microsoft fuckup or a Bartender fuckup?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Wow thanks for the heads up. We use Bartender daily.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Some random Windows 10 build prior to August 2 broke the Google Cloud Print installer as well. Over a month later it's still not fixed, though it was finally moved from 'unconfirmed' to 'untriaged' on Wednesday. At this rate it should be fixed at some point in 2017.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I need to transfer a shortcut to the desktop of a bunch of users. I've written a script that will transfer it to all of the computers' public desktops, but some people already have the shortcut on their account specific desktops. How can I overwrite that old one so there is only one shortcut on the desktop? Alternately, how can I make it not go to the computers with it on a user's desktop already? I would prefer the first if possible.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I need to transfer a shortcut to the desktop of a bunch of users. I've written a script that will transfer it to all of the computers' public desktops, but some people already have the shortcut on their account specific desktops. How can I overwrite that old one so there is only one shortcut on the desktop? Alternately, how can I make it not go to the computers with it on a user's desktop already? I would prefer the first if possible.

You can make a GPO that will create the shortcut anytime a user logs in. We do this (stupidly) for some links to our intranet.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I don't have GPO access. At least I'm pretty sure I don't. How can I tell? I probably shouldn't set anything like that up if my lead hasn't run me through it or mentioned me using it. I think the expectation is just copy-paste and make sure it's on all of the computers in question.

I came up with the idea of doing a powershell gci | remove-item for the file in question through all of the users' desktop folders.

code:
gci -Path "$computername\C$\users\*\desktop\*" -Filter "foo.bar" -recurse | remove-item

followed by a copy-item worked. I loving love powershell. I'm going to run a few more tests before I do it for real, but it should work.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Don't do this. Use Group Policy Preferences. You will need domain admin rights to edit GPOs. If you are able to access admin shares on PCs like you are doing, you likely have domain admin rights unless your company is doing things "right" and making you local admin, which I doubt if this was left to you with no help on doing it the right way.

This should get you started - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753580%28v=ws.11%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I don't have GPO access. At least I'm pretty sure I don't. How can I tell?
If you don't, you'd install the RSAT for your version of Windows, run appwiz.cpl, go to features, click the checkbox next to Remote Server Administration Tools, and then run gpmc.msc with your domain admin account.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Internet Explorer posted:

Don't do this. Use Group Policy Preferences. You will need domain admin rights to edit GPOs. If you are able to access admin shares on PCs like you are doing, you likely have domain admin rights unless your company is doing things "right" and making you local admin, which I doubt if this was left to you with no help on doing it the right way.

This should get you started - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753580%28v=ws.11%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

I'm a "Jr. Admin" which is a custom group that has most admin privileges but not enough to majorly break anything. I think it's just the admin and director who have domain admin, the BI guy and I have less permissions.

I'll take a look at that article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Also, if the new shortcut will have a different name than the old shortcut, you can put a delete shortcut for the old one. I'd generally recommend using an update option for the new one rather than any other option, if the shortcuts are the exact same name/target typem update will, well.. update it.