Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Lightning Lord posted:

Honestly, I think Contessa is a fine thing, and the beefs surrounding it are dismaying. ... But in the end, it's not my place to say, really.

That's pretty much how I fall on it too. I figure I'll just appreciate what Contessa is achieving and leave it at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Libertad! posted:

I can't say for sure if it's happened before with other tabletop crowdfunded projects, but continued dissatisfaction and lack of communication with a Pathfinder adventure Throne of Night inspired a letter-writing campaign to KickStarter staff made up of dissatisfied backers.

The last straw was when the author Gary McBride logged in July 30th and backed 2 other KickStarter projects without so much as a "hello, still working on things" to his backers.

Here's a comprehensive blog post I wrote on Throne of Night a year ago for those unaware.

Here's the post which kicked things off in the Paizo thread.

Here's the latest in the comments section of the KickStarter as things unfold.

Unless I'm remembering wrong the delay between releases for for "Way of the Wicked" was much longer. Most of the books we're 1-2 months behind schedule. It sucks for the backers, but they should have seen it coming.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
I tweeted about the Beaners thing and got a reply from Shanna Germaine. Well, two.

https://twitter.com/ShannaGermain/status/761674890428739584

https://twitter.com/ShannaGermain/status/761675893597204480

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

loving Christ. Seriously?

This is the same game where there's an "Elemental plane of Native American Stereotypes" Where only a very small percentage of the population are technically sentient, right?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Oh boy here we go again!

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Different game, but same publisher/writers.

And sure, it's nice that there's no racism in your book. drat shame that book exists in a world where that's still very much a loving problem.

Dulkor fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 5, 2016

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Well poo poo, wrap it up, looks like Monte Cook just obliterated the concept of racial slurs.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
In my totally-not-racist fantasy world there are a group of people who do night-digging, an activity that has been abbreviated to "nigging" - and you can guess what these people are called, but it's not racist because I wrote in my book that it's not racist!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Dulkor posted:

Different game, but same publisher/writers.

And sure, it's nice that there's no racism is your book. drat shame that book exists in a world where that's still very much a loving problem.

https://twitter.com/ShannaGermain/status/761677229550080000

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if they published a D&D supplement where the dwellers of the Underdark are referred to as "Darkies".

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
This is more or less what happens when you are to whatever degree less ignorant and lovely then a lot of people around you, but then take a logical leap into "this means I'm never lovely" town.

It's also the problem if homogeneous design studios. What's the editing process if nobody caught this? Who are the editors that don't notice this?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

You know, in the interest of compare and contrast, today Evil Hat released a preview of one of their upcoming Fate mini-supplements called "Red Planet", which is very heavily based on Soviet sci-fi and is based on the idea that Russia colonized Mars and turned it into a for-real worker's utopia (which was a major theme of Soviet sci-fi).

But then they have a full-page sidebar about how, while the game is based on the hoepful themes of the source material, it's important to not forget how terrible the real Soviet Union. It's basically saying that, while in the world of the game Communism (or "progressive materialism", as it's called in-setting) worked and created a utopia, they're not trying to whitewash what actually happened in our world.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Hey, if you misunderstand their intent, that's on you. Why should the author take any responsibility for the possible impacts of his speech?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
In the far distant future of 30XX where racism is but a quaint memory, the Kike Federation keeps the galaxy safe from the encroaching menace of the alien incursors known only as the Wops.

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.

Evil Mastermind posted:

You know, in the interest of compare and contrast, today Evil Hat released a preview of one of their upcoming Fate mini-supplements called "Red Planet", which is very heavily based on Soviet sci-fi and is based on the idea that Russia colonized Mars and turned it into a for-real worker's utopia (which was a major theme of Soviet sci-fi).

But then they have a full-page sidebar about how, while the game is based on the hoepful themes of the source material, it's important to not forget how terrible the real Soviet Union. It's basically saying that, while in the world of the game Communism (or "progressive materialism", as it's called in-setting) worked and created a utopia, they're not trying to whitewash what actually happened in our world.

Neat! I want to buy two copies of this and send one to Ken Hite with a passive aggressive inscription referencing Gurps Alternate Earths.

Edit: Google is failing me, do you have a link to this. It does sound really interesting.

Glorified Scrivener fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Aug 6, 2016

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
That sort of defense is unfortunately exceedingly common when I attempted to point out the Beaner reference elsewhere.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Glorified Scrivener posted:

Neat! I want to buy teo copies of this and send one to Ken Hite with a passive aggressive inscription referencing Gurps Alternate Earths.

Edit: Google is failing me, do you have a link to this. It does sound really interesting.

Well it's not actually out yet. They released an art free preview draft to $4 and higher backers on Patreon.

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.

Kwyndig posted:

Well it's not actually out yet. They released an art free preview draft to $4 and higher backers on Patreon.

Well that'd be why. All my Patreon money is accounted for so I'll just have to wait. Thanks.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah, it's one of EH's "Worlds of Adventure" they're releasing through their Patreon. Unfortunately I can't tell you when it's coming out because they only do like one a month and they're currently a little off-schedule.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

LongDarkNight posted:

Unless I'm remembering wrong the delay between releases for for "Way of the Wicked" was much longer. Most of the books we're 1-2 months behind schedule. It sucks for the backers, but they should have seen it coming.

Not exactly. Way of the Wicked, Book 1, was back in late 2011, and Book 6 released in early 2013. The total completion of the main AP was estimated to be March 2014.

Throne of Night Book 1 came out in October 2013. Book 2 April 17th, 2014. Then nothing since.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

ProfessorCirno posted:

This is more or less what happens when you are to whatever degree less ignorant and lovely then a lot of people around you, but then take a logical leap into "this means I'm never lovely" town.

It's also the problem if homogeneous design studios. What's the editing process if nobody caught this? Who are the editors that don't notice this?

Shanna Germain, the person in the tweet, is their lead editor.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Caedar posted:

[sad trombone.wav]

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Error 404 posted:

[sad trombone.wav]

I think you mean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-GaXa8tSBE

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Yes!

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Caedar posted:

Lead editor and co-owner of monte cook games, publishers of both Numenera and The Strange. They also made "No Thank You, Evil!" which just won an ennie for Best Family Game. Which is misleading, because the only thing it could be best at is making little girls cry for daring to be princesses.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Comrade Koba posted:

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if they published a D&D supplement where the dwellers of the Underdark are referred to as "Darkies".

Good work, I'm totally gonna use that with my high elf PC

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

Lead editor and co-owner of monte cook games, publishers of both Numenera and The Strange. They also made "No Thank You, Evil!" which just won an ennie for Best Family Game. Which is misleading, because the only thing it could be best at is making little girls cry for daring to be princesses.

It helps that the games panic phrase is also it's title, so you never have to play it.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah, it's one of EH's "Worlds of Adventure" they're releasing through their Patreon. Unfortunately I can't tell you when it's coming out because they only do like one a month and they're currently a little off-schedule.

AFAIK, we don't yet have art for Red Planet, while we do have a bunch for a couple other releases, so my guess is it'll be a few months at least.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
According to Black Diamond Games, Pathfinder is going down the pooper.

(quoted from ENWorld; apparently from a closed BDG facebook group.)

"Pathfinder is in its twilight for us at the store. Even some of the core books don't sell well anymore. You can expect a big sale on Pathfinder books soon, about 125 items, including a few hard covers, many adventure path books and supplements. We're trying to keep mats cohesive, so they won't be on sale, although they should be."

"Based on the patterns, the problem is clearly about getting new players, which Pathfinder gets few of with 5E available. It's a hard sell at this late stage for a staff member to suggest Pathfinder when 5E is right there."

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I guess you can no longer say that nothing good came of 5e D&D.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Problem is, where does a store go with 5e sales, particularly to players? I mean, you sell them the Player's Handbook, and the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, and then...? What? Point them to the Dungeon Master's Guild and show them the door? Another thing, of course, is a big moneymaker for Pathfinder are subscriptions, which stores don't get to see anything of.

It seems like a lose / lose proposition for stores, which is probably inevitable in today's market, but it's a lot rougher to consider when you know people who do run game stores.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Scyther posted:

I guess you can no longer say that nothing good came of 5e D&D.

Boooosh

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

dwarf74 posted:

According to Black Diamond Games, Pathfinder is going down the pooper.

(quoted from ENWorld; apparently from a closed BDG facebook group.)

"Pathfinder is in its twilight for us at the store. Even some of the core books don't sell well anymore. You can expect a big sale on Pathfinder books soon, about 125 items, including a few hard covers, many adventure path books and supplements. We're trying to keep mats cohesive, so they won't be on sale, although they should be."

"Based on the patterns, the problem is clearly about getting new players, which Pathfinder gets few of with 5E available. It's a hard sell at this late stage for a staff member to suggest Pathfinder when 5E is right there."

To be fair, BDG is a store that aggressively drops games that don't sell to expectations. For example, they fire saled all of their Warmachine and Hordes stock earlier this year and I don't think anyone would claim that games dying.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Problem is, where does a store go with 5e sales, particularly to players?
I'd say "sell them on other games" but I doubt that'd be viable in the long run. Especially since a lot of people don't like playing multiple RPGs or trying something that isn't the same thing they've always been playing.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Interesting. I remember BDG going in big for Pathfinder when it first arrived (they were really surprised by how strongly it sold initially and shifted their ordering to match). The guy who owns/runs BDG is really good about aggressively following where his sales data leads and getting rid of dead stock when it stops moving.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I hope this means my long nightmare of not wanting to play either 4th Edition or Pathfinder, due to not wanting to have to get into a blood feud deathmatch with half my friends, is finally over.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If you have friends playing 4e years after it has stopped being officially supported then I think it's pretty safe to assume your friends who like Pathfinder will likely continue to play it when a few stores comment that it's harder to sell now.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

FMguru posted:

Interesting. I remember BDG going in big for Pathfinder when it first arrived (they were really surprised by how strongly it sold initially and shifted their ordering to match). The guy who owns/runs BDG is really good about aggressively following where his sales data leads and getting rid of dead stock when it stops moving.

As crazy as that seems, that's a good way to run a store. You don't want to be the store that still has the remnants of D20 shovelware books and 90's treadmill supplements from publishers like White Wolf still on the shelves.

It's not really that surprising for someone to proclaim that Pathfinder is done. It would be like being shocked when a 90 year old person dies and in the case of Pathfinder, one who drinks a bottle of Jack Daniels a day and smokes a pack and a half a day. Pathfinder lived a lot longer than it had any right to with the amount of books they put out.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Countblanc posted:

If you have friends playing 4e years after it has stopped being officially supported then I think it's pretty safe to assume your friends who like Pathfinder will likely continue to play it when a few stores comment that it's harder to sell now.

I want Pathfinder 2e to finally get announced so Paizo can lock down their own rules system they don't have to share with anyone and mostly so I can see all the tears and mental gymnastics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

S.J. posted:

I want Pathfinder 2e to finally get announced so Paizo can lock down their own rules system they don't have to share with anyone and mostly so I can see all the tears and mental gymnastics.

Won't happen. They had their chance with Unchained and deliberately didn't take it.

• Locked thread