Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

psydude posted:

True/False: If someone is the senior network engineer in a NOC, I shouldn't have to specify that I need layer 1(!), layer 2, and layer 3 configured when I say "I need connectivity between this device and this management server with these IP addresses."

Talk about title bloat, senior network engineer in a NOC. I bet their recruiters all have Director and VP titles too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I might be talking out of my rear end, but I think in the big scheme of things, there's really room for only one, maybe two big cloud providers, and a bunch of small boutique cloud providers.

I think they're aiming to win this one so it makes sense that they're not pursuing profits.

There's really only one big cloud provider and the rest are playing catchup.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I really should start talking to people at Salesforce on linkedin, their new HQ is downtown. I'd love to get on their cloud/datacenter infrastructure team.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

adorai posted:

For those who have made the jump from tech to management, how do you keep your tech skills sharp when 80% of your day is taken up by decidedly non-technical things? I don't want to end up useless if my job goes away for some reason, but I also like the current path of career progression I am on (and the money it provides).
Hardware and software have changed a lot in the past few decades, but operating systems and networks haven't fundamentally changed in a really long time. If you understand computers, networks, and storage, you can understand virtualization. If you understand virtualization, you can understand cloud. If you can understand the case for IaaS, you can understand the case for PaaS. If you have a problem that needs solving, you understand how to find out how other people are solving the same problems. Knowing what's possible is much more important than knowing what's a good idea -- you can always delegate that out or do a quick proof of concept when the need arises.

If you're unhappy with the amount of time you're spending doing non-technical things, delegate some of it out to interested people on your team -- nothing says you're only allowed to delegate the technical tasks. It helps you suss out who's next in your line of succession, it helps other people develop non-technical skills that they want to develop, you're doing what you want, they're doing what they want, and everyone wins (as long as they want to do it). Need to define or improve a process? Deputize someone to lead it. Need a technical representative at a meeting that you just can't bear to attend? Grab someone who wants the visibility.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I am witnessing the greatest meltdown of my professional career. I will have quite a writeup on this one. This guy is losing. his. mind. about not being able to access TFS. He's entering the wrong password. We know this because myself and all of his coworkers are like, yeah see I can access it using your account (when we set up a temporary password to demonstrate) - he's like, nope, that is not the issue.

Have I mentioned that this is literally the guy's 2nd day of work?

Oh man, I need to write this whole thing up, because this is glorious.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I am witnessing the greatest meltdown of my professional career. I will have quite a writeup on this one. This guy is losing. his. mind. about not being able to access TFS. He's entering the wrong password. We know this because myself and all of his coworkers are like, yeah see I can access it using your account (when we set up a temporary password to demonstrate) - he's like, nope, that is not the issue.

Have I mentioned that this is literally the guy's 2nd day of work?

Oh man, I need to write this whole thing up, because this is glorious.

Have you ever seen that bug on Windows where a random key will enter a different keystroke until you reboot the machine? I've seen it a few times on a few laptops and it will drive people to madness.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Why does he have to enter a password at all though? TFS is tightly integrated with AD, logging into the workstation should be enough.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Have you ever seen that bug on Windows where a random key will enter a different keystroke until you reboot the machine? I've seen it a few times on a few laptops and it will drive people to madness.

So you mean numlock on a keyboard without a 10-key pad?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

bull3964 posted:

Why does he have to enter a password at all though? TFS is tightly integrated with AD, logging into the workstation should be enough.
Different domains, but it's like the easiest thing in the world to enter a username and password correctly.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

The Fool posted:

So you mean numlock on a keyboard without a 10-key pad?

Or a mis-aligned keyboard ribbon cable. I have gotten Dell refurbs where it was returned because it wouldn't type properly. I get it, it still doesn't type properly.....but only when it's hot. Pressing 't' types out 't5'. Pull the keyboard off, reseat the ribbon cable, and presto - I saved the company $1,000 on a laptop for 5 minutes of work.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm curious if any of you have deployed iOS devices in a higher security corporate owned/controlled/managed on-prem MDM environment. It'd be cool if I could fire some questions at you via PM, if that's all right. Thank you!!!!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I'm really broken up about the fact that one way or another, someone is going to pay me a lot of money next year, whether I stay or go.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

adorai posted:

For those who have made the jump from tech to management, how do you keep your tech skills sharp when 80% of your day is taken up by decidedly non-technical things?

Hahaha... :shepicide:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm curious if any of you have deployed iOS devices in a higher security corporate owned/controlled/managed on-prem MDM environment. It'd be cool if I could fire some questions at you via PM, if that's all right. Thank you!!!!

We have kind of, it depends what you're looking to ask, we utilize SAP's Afaria as the MDM for a few thousand IPADs, I don't directly control afaria, but I know a bit about what's going on, and worst case I can try to ask questions for you.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Curious if you guys face this. Do people outside of your team send you calendar invites and meetings without warning and without clearing them with you?

I've got 2 just today. No, I can't be on that hour long troubleshooting call with development, and no I can't be on a 3 hour call with a customer who yeah they're really important but I've already got things lined up today and can't spare 3 hours.

Is this common? I am seeing it more and more at my job.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Curious if you guys face this. Do people outside of your team send you calendar invites and meetings without warning and without clearing them with you?

I've got 2 just today. No, I can't be on that hour long troubleshooting call with development, and no I can't be on a 3 hour call with a customer who yeah they're really important but I've already got things lined up today and can't spare 3 hours.

I get invites, declined and then my manager has asked why I'm not joining.

Umm, I'm already booked? What's worse are meeting invitations without any sort of reminder.

Thunderbird_Wine
Aug 6, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Lmao some shitheel middle manager has signed a contract to move all out our support ticketing and documentation to Connectwise/Labtech. I can only find terrible reviews, it uses a Windows client to do most of the interaction, and our support team exclusively use Macs.

Yeah.. have fun with this, Connectwise is ok if not a little bloated but LabTech is a tire fire. The agent silent installers still do not work for us after a year and the client is un-navigable garbage.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I decline meetings all the time.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

Lmao some shitheel middle manager has signed a contract to move all out our support ticketing and documentation to Connectwise/Labtech. I can only find terrible reviews, it uses a Windows client to do most of the interaction, and our support team exclusively use Macs.

I didn't mind the Windows Client but I found it adequate for a basic ticketing system.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Tigren posted:

Personally, I think there's enough room for more than one provider and I don't see either these companies buying out the other.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I accept all my meetings but only show up the interesting ones

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Tigren posted:

I'm surprised IBM is so much larger than Google.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Methanar posted:

I'm sure IBM has been able to market well to older megacorps simply by virtue of "Nobody ever got fired for buying IBM," and the company's 105 years of positive brand equity. Plus they doubtlessly kept a lot of their smaller, newer customers that came on when Softlayer was still independent.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The worst part of being able to do most of my job without interacting with users is that it makes me want to procrastinate harder when I do.

:goonsay:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I've gotten a rep over the years as a 'fixer', I get invites about crap all the time. They're just invites, not federal subpoenas, you can decline them. Application teams try to drag us (infrastructure) folks into stuff all the time. I usually just decline and ask them to reach out if an issue that our team handles is identified.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

skipdogg posted:

I've gotten a rep over the years as a 'fixer', I get invites about crap all the time. They're just invites, not federal subpoenas, you can decline them. Application teams try to drag us (infrastructure) folks into stuff all the time. I usually just decline and ask them to reach out if an issue that our team handles is identified.

Yup, it's nice to have a reputation as that guy that can fix anything, but then you get invited to everything even if it's not vaguely related to what you do.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
it's about 5 'til 4pm, when I would normally be walking out the door. I instead have at least 3 hours of work left I have to complete today. not coincidentally, that's how long I was in meetings today.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Tigren posted:

I wish we could use AWS, I find it much nicer than Azure. Unfortunately I'm in Canada at a Financial Institution, and security wise we'd rather not have any data on American servers. So Azure it is.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Antioch posted:

I wish we could use AWS, I find it much nicer than Azure. Unfortunately I'm in Canada at a Financial Institution, and security wise we'd rather not have any data on American servers. So Azure it is.

Did Azure open their Canadian datacentres yet? We're in the same boat, no way we'd use an American cloud provider.

MF_James posted:

We have kind of, it depends what you're looking to ask, we utilize SAP's Afaria as the MDM for a few thousand IPADs, I don't directly control afaria, but I know a bit about what's going on, and worst case I can try to ask questions for you.

Thanks, will send you a PM!

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

Did Azure open their Canadian datacentres yet? We're in the same boat, no way we'd use an American cloud provider.

It wouldn't matter anyway. :nsa:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
brought some changes to a screeching halt today because no one decided to notify us until an hour beforehand and nope thats not how planning works guys

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Oh hey, have you ever had a transformer get struck by lightning right outside your office?
Let me tell you about jumping 5 feet in the air! Shits LOUD.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

psydude posted:

It wouldn't matter anyway. :nsa:

That's an amazing emote

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Methanar posted:

IBM is SoftLayer, who had like a 15 year head start. They're probably the biggest player for physical infra too, which the competitors don't really offer.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Antioch posted:

Good news, a Montreal region is in the works: https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/in-the-works-aws-region-in-canada/

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Antioch posted:

ASM in all honesty was terrible but ARM is the bee's knees.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

HPE isn't on that list, despite their commercials on TV saying they're the largest lol.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Update on my ridiculous alert system.

I found out that they get sent to people who have to create tickets for each one.

I'm the devil.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

skipdogg posted:

HPE isn't on that list, despite their commercials on TV saying they're the largest lol.

Every cloud provider says they're biggest, badiest, bestest, etc. It's annoying and gently caress marketing/sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

ASM in all honesty was terrible but ARM is the bee's knees.

Yeah I have a 3 day ARM course coming up in September, I'm looking forward to seeing how much better it is than ASM. We're mainly focusing on using big compute rather than corralling the infrastructure guys into getting decent VMs spun up.

This is good news.