Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

What is the origin of calling Dengar a mummy gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Poldarn posted:

What is the origin of calling Dengar a mummy gently caress?

the original trailer for The Force Awakens was a red band with a lot more cursing than eventually made it into the movie, and Dengar was a main focus (due to effects not being finished at the time)

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

ZombieSnot posted:

I just watched the first episode of Season 2 yesterday, I can't wait to finish the rest of it this weekend. When is Season 3 hitting?

September 24th. Get hyped!

Wonder if they'll do any mid-season references to Rogue One like Agents of Shield did when the Avengers movies dropped (I would be so giddy)

Phi230 posted:

Just remember everybody we tested a nuke before we used one on Japan. Gotta make sure your doomsday weapon works before you reveal it to the world.

So the Empire is gonna test the Bomb but in secret conditions to make sure everything works as intended and to iron out any glitches.

THEN they blow up Alderaan in a very public way.

If you read my spoilered fan speculation you'd know that you were beaten. Young fool. Only now. At the end. Do you. Understand.

turtlecrunch posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UVJSJOiLk4

reposting cause it's hype, it cuts around some bits but you get the idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dH6I1pW3qs

When Vader first showed up and spoke I hit the floor because James Earl loving Jones

I can only assume he signed on for Rogue One too

So I can hit the floor again when he speaks there

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I've been thinking of rewatching the whole series and making a list of all the Ralph McQuarrie art references. Because I am a huge nerd who loves that poo poo.

Lando's southern gentleman robot helper is right out of McQuarrie's first drawing of 3P0 and I loved every second of it

Speaking of Lando

Young Lando is coming to the Young Han Solo Chronicles, and Donald Glover seems to be in the lead (he would be awesome!)
http://www.gq.com/story/donald-glover-star-wars-lando?mbid=social_facebook

Also speaking of Lando

Young Lando is in Rebels, and Billy loving Dee loving Williams does the voice

Again, you should be watching Rebels

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

ROCKET LAUNCHERS SHOULDN'T BE ABLE TO DAMAGE AT-ATS REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Well, I guess this is quite a few years before Hoth.

El Burbo fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 12, 2016

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Jerkface posted:

the original trailer for The Force Awakens was a red band with a lot more cursing than eventually made it into the movie, and Dengar was a main focus (due to effects not being finished at the time)

Thanks I found it for everyone to enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etwJnVBHy9c

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
I'm thinking the theory that it blows up the Jedha city is correct. We saw Death Star 2 blow up a cruiser, so I'm sure DS1 has a lower power setting.

What I think would be cool, would be if they address the Death Star plans schematic not matching what the Death Star actually looks like. The briefing video they show in ANH has dish over the trench. Would be cool if in Rogue One they specifically address that, by having them steal an early version of the blueprints or something.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

El Burbo posted:

:spergin: That's not an AT-AT

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

MrBigglesworth posted:

Did you see the last episode of Rebels?

No. And to get picky, I said "lowly" TIE, not Vader's Advanced. :colbert:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

El Burbo posted:

I dunno, the AT-ATs in Rebels are pretty loving tough.

https://fat.gfycat.com/OilyBreakableChevrotain.webm

Takes four proton torpedoes and just gets right back up again.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Holy poo poo I just saw the trailer for the first time at my computer and not my phone. Christ almighty does that makes a difference!

I LOOOOOOVE the shot of them going into hyperspace. It really reminds me of that simulator thingy they have (had?) at MGM Studios at Disney World.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Teek posted:

I'm thinking the theory that it blows up the Jedha city is correct. We saw Death Star 2 blow up a cruiser, so I'm sure DS1 has a lower power setting.

What I think would be cool, would be if they address the Death Star plans schematic not matching what the Death Star actually looks like. The briefing video they show in ANH has dish over the trench. Would be cool if in Rogue One they specifically address that, by having them steal an early version of the blueprints or something.

im gonna speculate on the potential time line of the movie: I think we will probably open with the flashback to Krennic going to madds dude and forcing him to finish building the death star. Young jyn runs away as deathtroopers torch her home. We go to the present. Jyn is rebelling and gets picked up by the rebels and taken to Yavin. Her and Cass go to Jedha to recruit Jiang Wang & Donnie Yen, the 2nd act finale would probably be the death star (currently orbiting) testing the super laser on the planet and them escaping as the planet heaves. Third act will be on Scarif, where poo poo will hit the fan, everyone dies mostly, and the plans are relayed to Leia at the very end.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I wonder if there will be a CGI version of young Carrie Fisher.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Can anyone take some nice 1080p shots of the trailer? Or link to some?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Re: whether or not firing the Death Star in R1 is a weird retcon

The SW Celebration intro video (where the crawl to Star Wars plays and then gets all staticy) suggests that Rogue One is roughly summarized in the first seconds of Star Wars: "...Rebel spaceships, striking from a hidden base, have won their first victory against the evil Galactic Empire. During the battle, Rebel spies managed to steal secret plans..."

When the movie was announced, either someone from LF said it outright or I imagined it, but Vader's line "there will be no one to stop us *this* time" was a jumping off point for That Other Time Where The Imperials Were Stopped, which is a better subtitle than A Star Wars Story.

So all of this is to say that if they are sort of fleshing out the stories behind the lines in Star Wars, you have a couple of touchstones:

Motti: "This station is now the ultimate power in the universe. I suggest we use it"
and later Tarkin: " think it is time we demonstrate the full power of this station"

This leaves plenty of room for the DS to blow poo poo up in R1 I think.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Just watched the trailer. Gareth Edwards knows what he's doing.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I also enjoyed the Lucasian flat acting. Staying true to the genre.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Since this is supposed to be more like a war movie, I can envision an ending where everyone or almost everyone dies, but their sacrifice has not been in vain and there's an end montage of the Rebellion proudly rolling on.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

A lot of explosions and not much else. I hear the kids are into that these days.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

hhhat posted:

Young Lando is coming to the Young Han Solo Chronicles, and Donald Glover seems to be in the lead (he would be awesome!)
http://www.gq.com/story/donald-glover-star-wars-lando?mbid=social_facebook

This tweet is also fueling the rumor that Solo's ex-partner Sana (introduced recently in the Marvel Han Solo comics) might be in the movie.

https://twitter.com/TheInSneider/status/763446665441312768

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Mean Bean Machine posted:

A lot of explosions and not much else. I hear the kids are into that these days.

"There is too much war in this Star War movie"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Mean Bean Machine posted:

Okay, now watch the trailer and give your post-view reaction

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
There's also some close-ups of faces.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Clearly the movie should be 2 hours of bureaucratic wrangling over which company will provide the X-Wing, B-Wing, Y-Wing and A-Wing contracts for the Rebellion.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

My girlfriend: "Oh that guy looks cool. Is this the movie where the Empire kills all the Asians?"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gonz posted:

Clearly the movie should be 2 hours of bureaucratic wrangling over which company will provide the X-Wing, B-Wing, Y-Wing and A-Wing contracts for the Rebellion.

Lincoln but in Star Wars would be a lot more memorable than your generic Star Wars.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Who is composing the score for Rogue One?

ZombieSnot
Jan 2, 2011

Entrenched in nutritious rotting flesh.

Bongo Bill posted:

Who is composing the score for Rogue One?

Alexandre Desplat. He did some of the Harry Potter flicks and grand budapest hotel.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

So I guess he has experience with following John Williams. Neat.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

if the music in the second trailer is sampled from Desplat's score and not a one-off track by different composers made exclusively for the trailer, then poo poo, the score is is gonna be so loving baller.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

computer parts posted:

Lincoln but in Star Wars would be a lot more memorable than your generic Star Wars.

memorable for how bad it (and Lincoln) was?

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

teagone posted:

if the music in the second trailer is sampled from Desplat's score and not a one-off track by different composers made exclusively for the trailer, then poo poo, the score is is gonna be so loving baller.

Exactly. It was REALLY good.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Gonz posted:

Give me Pentagon Wars but set in the Imperial army's bureaucracy. It will examine how the AT-AT went from a cheap troop transport to the expensive self-propelled artillery walker that's a centerpiece of the Empire's land forces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXQ2lO3ieBA

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

zVxTeflon posted:

memorable for how bad it (and Lincoln) was?

The only people I've seen who hate Lincoln are the ones ideologically opposed to the idea of political compromise.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

teagone posted:

It most definitely is the latter. Doesn't sound like Desplat in the slightest.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Gonz fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Aug 13, 2016

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

That looks stupid as hell.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, there's a ton of stuff in Rebels that is pretty dumb. poo poo like this is canon now because of it:

Clone Wars had its fair share of silly poo poo too, but its good arcs were waaay better written than Rebels. Rebels is a show starring a bunch of unlikeable characters who make poor choices getting into cartoony situations and constantly retreading over OT territory but poorly.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Actually Rebels is good.

The repulsorlift helicopter thing is kinda dumb, even if I like the Roto-saber otherwise though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Bad news folks: Kenny Baker just passed away :(

• Locked thread