Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

OwlFancier posted:

If the tank as a concept had been invented a bit earlier you loving know that we'd have had land dreadnoughts by 1914 and the first world war would have been essentially the plot of Mortal Engines with the British and German tank fleets driving all over France trying to find some small, 150 ton tanks to blow up without risking their 800 ton flagtanks.

But... rivers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Phanatic posted:

What's specifically the difference between blitzkrieg and deep battle?

Blitzkrieg I usually see summarized as application of combined arms focused on a point in the other guy's front to break through it, and then dashing through that hole into the enemy's rear and hooking around to encircle the defenders.

Deep battle I usually see summarized as repeated attacks across a wide area of the front until the enemy's line fails *somewhere*, and then you use mobile forces to rush into that gap deep into the enemy's rear and then eventually hook around to encircle and destroy the defenders you bypassed.

So what distinguishes the two? Is it just a matter of scale?

I'd say it's the existence of clearly defined Schwerpunkt(en). If you know where your focal point to break through is, it's Blitzkrieg. If you're awaiting results to figure out where the weak spot is that you can exploit, it's deep battle.

Alternately deep battle is blitzkrieg that knows when to stop to regroup and resupply.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

cheerfullydrab posted:

But... rivers?

I'm sure we can build a tank with a track length longer than the Rhein is wide.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Phanatic posted:

What's specifically the difference between blitzkrieg and deep battle?

Blitzkrieg I usually see summarized as application of combined arms focused on a point in the other guy's front to break through it, and then dashing through that hole into the enemy's rear and hooking around to encircle the defenders.

Deep battle I usually see summarized as repeated attacks across a wide area of the front until the enemy's line fails *somewhere*, and then you use mobile forces to rush into that gap deep into the enemy's rear and then eventually hook around to encircle and destroy the defenders you bypassed.

So what distinguishes the two? Is it just a matter of scale?

I'd say that the biggest difference is that Blitzkrieg is a colloquialism used in a more descriptive sense on how the Germans ran their wars for the period of 1939-1942. Deep Battle is an actual, written down doctrine.

Overall the difference is that Deep Battle emphasised wider frontages and significant use of reserves.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

xthetenth posted:

I'd say it's the existence of clearly defined Schwerpunkt(en). If you know where your focal point to break through is, it's Blitzkrieg. If you're awaiting results to figure out where the weak spot is that you can exploit, it's deep battle.

Alternately deep battle is blitzkrieg that knows when to stop to regroup and resupply.

In the last thread someone linked a wargaming discussion about how Soviet doctrine worked. The tldr was that the by the book, apparent inflexibility of Soviet low level operations (that western observers frequently criticize) served a valuable purpose. It enabled their high command to rapidly change the axis of attack in response to the changing battlefield and have a much shorter decision cycle than the enemy.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

cheerfullydrab posted:

Greatest blitzkrieg of all time happened in 1944.

1945 also made a ridiculously good showing with August Storm.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Cythereal posted:

1945 also made a ridiculously good showing with August Storm.

That's like the '92 dream team playing Angola, though.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Seconding this. Great read.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Alchenar posted:

It's a really massive stretch to compare the Battle of France 1944 to the Battle of France 1940.

The Allies didn't blitzkrieg out of Normandy. They spend two months fighting a grinding battle of attrition after which they finally achieved a breakthrough and engineered the collapse of the entire German front (aided in no small part by Hitler). But the bit at which they start moving at speed through the French countryside was enabled by the collapse of German resistance, it was not the cause of it.

I don't agree with your understanding - just because the maneuver based combined arms exploitation of space occurred after a phase of attritional warfare (driven primarily by terrain) doesn't negate its characteristics.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

As a side note I think I found my favorite word, Russian for "infantry who ride on tanks" is "tankodesantniki"

loving trilingual word salad, amazing.

I really wish English did compound words sometimes.

The proper English translation is "ablative armor".

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I don't agree with your understanding - just because the maneuver based combined arms exploitation of space occurred after a phase of attritional warfare (driven primarily by terrain) doesn't negate its characteristics.

Yeah, I'd say it has to do with how they staged their breakout and encirclement, although there is a way to look at it where it's got similarities to a really protracted deep battle.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

But infantry tanks were essentially just "Breakthrough" tanks ala Tiger I, KV-1 under a new, exciting coat of paint The idea isn't dumb, because that's what the Germans were doing for quite some time! And the Brits had plenty of Bren carrier lying around to transport infantry, so the problem isn't with infantry not being there with them.

The problem is that the train of thought that led to Cruiser Tanks came to the conclusion that they had to sacrifice firepower and defense to achieve speed.

I don't really have beef with the infantry tanks, HE shells notwithstanding.

Cruisers though, were just so stupid from the beginning. In 1939 a British armored division has only 2 battalions of infantry, attached to the "Special Group" with AA and artillery. Then a cruiser tank brigade, and an infantry tank brigade, neither with any organic infantry. Like, what?

It's like some cavalryman's fantasy somehow got translated into official doctrine. Forward, the Light Armoured Brigade!

The whole thing with cruisers is that they keep getting mentioned like some integral concept stage of armour design, when it's more like the British got stuck with them at a bad time and started building Shermans and Grants as quickly as possible. They keep calling fast tanks cruisers, but they end up using them in the same way as regular tanks, and don't follow any of the design principles of cruisers, and altogether abandon the idea.

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 12, 2016

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The idea of cruiser tanks running roughshod in the rear areas of the enemy is hilarious. You could achieve superior results with UCs and the Daimler Armored Car.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I don't really have beef with the infantry tanks, HE shells notwithstanding.

Cruisers though, were just so stupid from the beginning. In 1939 a British armored division has only 2 battalions of infantry, attached to the "Special Group" with AA and artillery. Then a cruiser tank brigade, and an infantry tank brigade, neither with any organic infantry. Like, what?

I would expect the infantry tanks at least to be penny-packeted among the infantry operationally, not operating as a group on their own, I mean that's what they were for. That's not totally out of left field, you see artillery being treated that way as well for example.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The Infantry Tank Brigades were actually independent and penny-packeted out to support Infantry Divisions and the Armoured Divisions had , not that that's really much better. Armoured Divisions actually had two Armoured Brigades which were, weirdly, composed of three Regiments rather than three Battalions. By 1940 they had integrated the motorised Infantry Battalions into the Brigades and there was a third "lorried" Battalion as part of the Special Group. "Lorried" is a wonderfully vague term at that point, which seems to mean "only has to walk sometimes".

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Jesus christ it just gets worse and worse. What the hell is the difference between Light tanks, Light Cruiser tanks, Close Support cruiser tanks, and Heavy Cruiser tanks?

I saw a light armoured brigade and a heavy armoured brigade in the divisional structure, and just loving assumed that infantry tanks were with the heavies. Nope, just more "Heavy Cruiser Tanks".

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Hogge Wild posted:

Eg. Finland has many reservist local defense units equipped with jack poo poo vehicles.

The Finnish infantry brigades are supposed to use tractors, trucks and buses for strategic mobility though. Besides, the only thing they're good for is for being a force-in-being anyway since they have almost no AA or AT gear.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

SeanBeansShako posted:

Can't we agree to disagree and just make fun of the Maus?

It could have been worse.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Ensign Expendable posted:

Lol at this wedding cake

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Hey don't make fun of the Kearsarge and Virginia classes!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Jesus christ it just gets worse and worse. What the hell is the difference between Light tanks, Light Cruiser tanks, Close Support cruiser tanks, and Heavy Cruiser tanks?

I saw a light armoured brigade and a heavy armoured brigade in the divisional structure, and just loving assumed that infantry tanks were with the heavies. Nope, just more "Heavy Cruiser Tanks".
In order: piddly small, no gun bigger than a 15mm Besa MG, basically a glorified tankette. Usually a Vickers Light Mk VI at that point, but might be a Tetrarch or an earlier model.
Tank, Cruiser Mk I (A9) with 2 pdr.
Tank, Cruiser Mk I (A9) or Mk II (A10) with that 3.7" howitzer I mentioned earlier.
Tank, Cruiser A9 Mk II (A10) with 2 pdr (originally intended to be an infantry tank! :eng99).

Why am I using both the Mark and the A number? Wellll...

Thing is, because of how things rolled out the production of stuff wasn't quite ready to replace these early Cruisers with the later Tank, Cruiser Mk III (A13 Mk I) or Tank, Cruiser Mk IV (A13 Mk II) entirely, so all of them saw combat in France in June 1940. Because gently caress you and your wish to easily keep poo poo straight in your head.

I have started on the effortpost of British tank design, but it'll take a while to get everything done. It was a total clusterfuck early on before they simplified down a bit.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

One thing I've learned re:tanks is that during WWI they were parked in Tankdromes (also called Tankodromes), which is a word I want to see brought back. Or just the -drome suffix in general, really.

Source: Life in a Tank, by Richard Haigh.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 12, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
It's always fun to try and explain to people who grew up watching the Hitler Channel how the Soviets post-1943 (give or take) were actually extremely loving good at modern combined arms warfare.

Also I know the argument kinda passed, but the Leo I wasn't really another look at the "Cruiser tank" idea, it was fast because armor was seen as a pointless trait in the HEATFS era before composites. Not getting shot is a much better way of staying alive, and speed is a commodity in that regard (along with all the other advantages mobility entails). It's not really a great comparison if you're trying to validate on doctrine there.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 12, 2016

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

P-Mack posted:

That's like the '92 dream team playing Angola, though.

I prefer to think of it this way: August Storm is the time trial mode of armored warfare.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Yvonmukluk posted:

One thing I've learned re:tanks is that during WWI they were parked in Tankdromes (also called Tankodromes), which is a word I want to see brought back. Or just the -drome suffix in general, really.

I am too down for this idea, simply so in the future we can have droneodromes.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Mazz posted:

Also I know the argument kinda passed, but the Leo I wasn't really another look at the "Cruiser tank" idea, it was fast because armor was seen as a pointless trait in the HEATFS era before composites. Not getting shot is a much better way of staying alive, and speed is a commodity in that regard (along with all the other advantages mobility entails). It's not really a great comparison if you're trying to validate on doctrine there.
I did mention before that it was just an interesting coincidence that in both situations they just decided "gently caress it, go fast, big gun". If you want to talk doctrinal use you could probably make a case for it being designed for the same combat situations that the US tank destroyer doctrine was intended to handle but never encountered and the similar end result.

Really it's just interesting to see how many times people have decided they need a big gun that moves fast but comparatively little armour.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

who runs bartertown

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

E100?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Mazz posted:

It's always fun to try and explain to people who grew up watching the Hitler Channel how the Soviets post-1943 (give or take) were actually extremely loving good at modern combined arms warfare.

I don't think anyone's trying to validate cruiser doctrine, but some of the designs cruiser doctrine produced were good, or at least satisfactory.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Mauschen.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Kemper Boyd posted:

The Finnish infantry brigades are supposed to use tractors, trucks and buses for strategic mobility though. Besides, the only thing they're good for is for being a force-in-being anyway since they have almost no AA or AT gear.
Hey, when I was in the army our company had a whole machine gun on an AA mount! :downs:

(On the one hand, I was light infantry, but on the other, we lorried everywhere because gently caress trying to run a sissi company's command post with nothing but the gear you can carry.)

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

spectralent posted:

I don't think anyone's trying to validate cruiser doctrine, but some of the designs cruiser doctrine produced were good, or at least satisfactory.

Name one

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Crusader, Cromwell and Comet, to varying degrees at varying times. The Crusader is debatable but for the early desert war where it fought nothing but the earlier marks of Panzers II through IV it was at least competitive.

ETA: arguably you could claim the infantry tanks were a product of the same doctrinal split, in which case the A12 Matilda II was a top end tank of its day and the Churchill was a solidly upgradeable workhorse like the Sherman.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Yeah pretty much those.

Also Centurion was created from a Cruiser specification, though it either was immediately or became designated an MBT*.

*I don't know which, it's not an era I'm a huge nerd for.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

spectralent posted:

Yeah pretty much those.

Also Centurion was created from a Cruiser specification, though it either was immediately or became designated an MBT*.

*I don't know which, it's not an era I'm a huge nerd for.

I believe it was ultimately designated as a 'Universal Tank'.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Kemper Boyd posted:

The Finnish infantry brigades are supposed to use tractors, trucks and buses for strategic mobility though.

So I'm envisioning a unit mounted on frigging John Deeres, 18 wheelers and yellow schoolbuses going into action. Is, uh, that really what they do? It seems a bit...rustic.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The Army has a bunch of old-rear end buses painted drab olive and they're used to transport people to exercises, so they have enough vehicles to get by in peacetime. But yeah, there's a law that the military can appropriate whatever gear it needs to operate, and that would probably mean they'd end up stealing borrowing some poor farmer's John Deere to pull a gun, and his neighbour's lorry to transport the crew.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

Crusader, Cromwell and Comet, to varying degrees at varying times. The Crusader is debatable but for the early desert war where it fought nothing but the earlier marks of Panzers II through IV it was at least competitive.

ETA: arguably you could claim the infantry tanks were a product of the same doctrinal split, in which case the A12 Matilda II was a top end tank of its day and the Churchill was a solidly upgradeable workhorse like the Sherman.

I'm not fully sold on the Matilda just because of how slow it was. Sure, it was competitively armed and well armored, but tactical mobility was poor due to the top speed and weight. It got a good rep due to the armor, and in a WoT featureless plain that might be fairly useful, but in an actual by-God tank battle I'm not convinced.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm not fully sold on the Matilda just because of how slow it was. Sure, it was competitively armed and well armored, but tactical mobility was poor due to the top speed and weight. It got a good rep due to the armor, and in a WoT featureless plain that might be fairly useful, but in an actual by-God tank battle I'm not convinced.
On the other hand it got the nickname "queen of the desert" because of how it handled on sand and against German tanks of the day it was a monster. Amusingly the Italian tanks it fought would have been better off dismounting the crew and siphoning the fuel into bottles for them to light on fire and throw at it. In 1940 it was one of the best tanks in the world, but that changed quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Too much tankchat, post swords, pikes, muskets and other :krad: stuff.