Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm not fully sold on the Matilda just because of how slow it was. Sure, it was competitively armed and well armored, but tactical mobility was poor due to the top speed and weight. It got a good rep due to the armor, and in a WoT featureless plain that might be fairly useful, but in an actual by-God tank battle I'm not convinced.

It was KV-tier impregnable; the degree of armouring outstripped anything the Germans had in common service at the outset of the war. Strategically, not going to make a difference at all; even a vehicle that's totally impregnable can be bypassed, or just surrounded and wait to run out of fuel, and you're right being slow as poo poo wouldn't help. But probably a huge pain in the rear end regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

spectralent posted:

Yeah pretty much those.

Also Centurion was created from a Cruiser specification, though it either was immediately or became designated an MBT*.

*I don't know which, it's not an era I'm a huge nerd for.

A tank that in no way resembles a cruiser tank becomes one if you label it so? Can't buy this for a second.

Arquinsiel posted:

Crusader, Cromwell and Comet, to varying degrees at varying times. The Crusader is debatable but for the early desert war where it fought nothing but the earlier marks of Panzers II through IV it was at least competitive.

ETA: arguably you could claim the infantry tanks were a product of the same doctrinal split, in which case the A12 Matilda II was a top end tank of its day and the Churchill was a solidly upgradeable workhorse like the Sherman.

Infantry tanks were closer to conventional tanks of other countries, it's a big stretch to say they were only possible because useless cruisers were also around.

The crusader was equivalent to the Panzer III, except where the III could go anywhere, the crusader would keep breaking down. Probably because its chassis and engine couldn't support its only advantage. A bad tank. Also a tank designed 3 years after the Panzer III.

How exactly do you define a cruiser tank? I can only see them as the specific products of cruiser doctrine, otherwise any fast tank suddenly becomes a cruiser even if the designers had zero intention to follow interwar British design principles.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

What the gently caress is this? It looks like some sort of dual flintlock shotgun.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The Soviets didn't like it that much, which is basically good enough for me.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Flintlocks: the tool of capitalist running-dog lickspittles!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

spectralent posted:

It was KV-tier impregnable; the degree of armouring outstripped anything the Germans had in common service at the outset of the war. Strategically, not going to make a difference at all; even a vehicle that's totally impregnable can be bypassed, or just surrounded and wait to run out of fuel, and you're right being slow as poo poo wouldn't help. But probably a huge pain in the rear end regardless.

Sure, the tank was a pain in the rear end, but just look at the Battle of France '40 edition. Tactical superiority doesn't matter if you can't do the other things right, and building a great, expensive, heavy, slow tank probably inhibits you from doing the other things right.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

How exactly do you define a cruiser tank? I can only see them as the specific products of cruiser doctrine, otherwise any fast tank suddenly becomes a cruiser even if the designers had zero intention to follow interwar British design principles.
It says "Tank, Cruiser Mk Whatever (A#)" on the TO&E.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nebakenezzer posted:

What the gently caress is this? It looks like some sort of dual flintlock shotgun.

I think that's what it is.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Mazz posted:

It's always fun to try and explain to people who grew up watching the Hitler Channel how the Soviets post-1943 (give or take) were actually extremely loving good at modern combined arms warfare.

Also I know the argument kinda passed, but the Leo I wasn't really another look at the "Cruiser tank" idea, it was fast because armor was seen as a pointless trait in the HEATFS era before composites. Not getting shot is a much better way of staying alive, and speed is a commodity in that regard (along with all the other advantages mobility entails). It's not really a great comparison if you're trying to validate on doctrine there.

The Soviets had a greater degree of mechanization in their armed forces than the Reich or its allies, but tell that to a certain kind of person who wants to talk to you about "human wave" attacks.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

wdarkk posted:

I prefer to think of it this way: August Storm is the time trial mode of armored warfare.

That operation -- August Storm is a misnomer-- was like the war equivalent of an efficient, well-planned Stalinist show trial.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The only thing remotely similar to August Storm is Gulf War 1.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

The black night always triumphs!

Can someone tell me what the gently caress is this? Because it looks like a two-handed sword that you can also use as a pole-axe.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

feedmegin posted:

So I'm envisioning a unit mounted on frigging John Deeres, 18 wheelers and yellow schoolbuses going into action. Is, uh, that really what they do? It seems a bit...rustic.

Our very own Valmet tractors, the same state company that created the Finnish assault rifle RK-62.

This was a experiment on having 4x4 drive, dubbed 'Homotin' by conscripts. You might catch the meaning.

It evolved over time...

This one has been converted to a halftrack, pulling some munitions. Under other circumstances it might be towing an anti-tank platoon with their recoilless rifles or a rifle platoon. Notice the riders still have Suomi SMGs, old Mosin Nagants and SMGs were the mainstay of Finnish infantry, especially reservists, for a long time.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

cheerfullydrab posted:

The Soviets had a greater degree of mechanization in their armed forces than the Reich or its allies, but tell that to a certain kind of person who wants to talk to you about "human wave" attacks.

I don't see how anyone gets into that mindset, when if you look at Bagration or August Storm, they just such brilliantly planned and executed operations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Nebakenezzer posted:

It's two muskets taped together son.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Saint Celestine posted:

I don't see how anyone gets into that mindset, when if you look at Bagration or August Storm, they just such brilliantly planned and executed operations.

That's because that kind of person has never heard of either.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Saint Celestine posted:

racism / anti-communism with a big ole side of ignorance, mostly

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Xerxes17 posted:

Can someone tell me what the gently caress is this? Because it looks like a two-handed sword that you can also use as a pole-axe.

I think that when you see a bizarre, badly unbalanced weapon with unnecessary edges and a weird decorative shape, it's almost always a ceremonial/parade/display piece.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Saint Celestine posted:

People are horribly bad at understanding military history and equipment in general, the other day I had somebody online tell me that the Pak 44 was equivalent to the M256.

For those of you who aren't modern military equipment spergs, this is what an M256 is stuck on;

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I mean... it's roughly the same bore? Yeah, totally the same gun :colbert:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
that sure is a tank

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Arquinsiel posted:

I mean... it's roughly the same bore? Yeah, totally the same gun :colbert:
Ahem, the Pak 44 is 128mm bore, the M256 is 120mm, therefore the Pak 44 is better. :colbert:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Saint Celestine posted:

Their knowledge is things happened in the east, Enemy at the Gates, and things based on bitching by German commanders that they always seemed to get attacked by superior numbers of Soviets (a much bigger disparity than they had over the front, which should set alarm bells ringing but apparently 11 time zones means literally limitless people).

Translation, the Soviets got a reputation for having ludicrous dudes because they so badly fooled the Germans they were still fooled by the time they wrote their memoirs.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

LostCosmonaut posted:

People are horribly bad at understanding military history and equipment in general, the other day I had somebody online tell me that the Pak 44 was equivalent to the M256.

For those of you who aren't modern military equipment spergs, this is what an M256 is stuck on;

Hoooly poo poo, that's dumb. Hey guys, the Spitfire had eight guns while the F-15 has just one :jerkbag:

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Have some quotes;

quote:

Yup. It is basically a rifled version of the latest modern Rheinmetal 120mm smoothbore:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rheinmetall_120_mm_gun
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12.8_cm_Pak_44
The modern version can be lighter and last longer thanks to modern metallurgy and materials. Design a APDS round for it and you have a pretty modern gun all thinks considered. Eventually though it would require smooth boring and modern materials to update it.

quote:

Clearly the metallurgy and materials used have changed, which increases barrel life and reduces weight, but the performance isn't that dissimilar other than one being smoothbore; they nearly the same caliber and length. Of course the recoil mechanism is quite different because of the advancements in technology too.

quote:

If you look at the link he used about the projectiles for the modern 120mm gun the sabot is combustible, so there is no loss from it's discarding.

Edit: link so you can see morons got internet

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

xthetenth posted:

Their knowledge is things happened in the east, Enemy at the Gates, and things based on bitching by German commanders that they always seemed to get attacked by superior numbers of Soviets (a much bigger disparity than they had over the front, which should set alarm bells ringing but apparently 11 time zones means literally limitless people).

Translation, the Soviets got a reputation for having ludicrous dudes because they so badly fooled the Germans they were still fooled by the time they wrote their memoirs.

Plus the Russian Steamroller had been a staple of European thinking for almost a century by that point. If nothing else, it was a convenient explanation for the German generals as to how they could have possibly lost the war (seeing how they had excellent soldiers, outstanding tanks and the objectively best generals in the world).

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

ArchangeI posted:

Plus the Russian Steamroller had been a staple of European thinking for almost a century by that point. If nothing else, it was a convenient explanation for the German generals as to how they could have possibly lost the war (seeing how they had excellent soldiers, outstanding tanks and the objectively best generals in the world).

Technically yes, but Rommel never fought the Russians.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nebakenezzer posted:

If you ever get the chance, visit the Royal Armouries at Leeds in the UK.

They have so many stupid loving guns.

I'm not sure if the weird flintlocks are best or whether I like the punt guns the most.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

What about the Puckle Gun? I want to learn more about the Puckle Gun.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Endman posted:

What about the Puckle Gun? I want to learn more about the Puckle Gun.

It's a crank operated six-nine chamber anti-popery device.

Seems pretty obvious to me?

E: To clarify, a device to oppose popes, not a device to facilitate antipopery.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 13, 2016

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Square bullets for the non christians.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

ArchangeI posted:

Also, Russian hordes pouring through the Fulda gap makes a good argument for why the military's budget needs to be raised, again.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

SeanBeansShako posted:

Square bullets for the non christians.

What kind of Christians were Christian enough to be shot at with regular bullets? Was it only the proper kinds, or did they admit that even the Eastern Orthodox heretics deserve a proper round bullet?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Ensign Expendable posted:

What kind of Christians were Christian enough to be shot at with regular bullets? Was it only the proper kinds, or did they admit that even the Eastern Orthodox heretics deserve a proper round bullet?
If they got hit by the square bullet then clearly they weren't Christian or else God would have prevented it :colbert:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Does anyone know how well the square bullets would have worked? I assume 'not very'?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Fangz posted:

Does anyone know how well the square bullets would have worked? I assume 'not very'?

I dunno, I imagine it'd be something like discout bin hollow-point ammo if it hits.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
laconian if

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

LostCosmonaut posted:

Edit: link so you can see morons got internet

alternatehistory.com

Well there's your problem right there.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Hogge Wild posted:

How old is it? And ofc, post pics!

Not a lot of old stuff other than undated dry stone walls sadly. The walls are rad though but nothing milhist related. Might have a wander and take some pics of the rad landscape though but doesn't seem relevant to the thread.

Edit: well, we might have found some stone tools when we were working in the garden and there is viking age and medieval archaology around but mostly in museums now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Did you take pics of the tools? Palaeolithic archaeology was my previous life before the CO stuff