Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

anthonypants posted:

My change request to update our Linux servers is finally getting approved, but my boss wants a rollback plan. So, if I wanted to generate a list of pending updates and cross-reference those with the current version, is there a flag I can add to yum check-update to do that or will I have to run yum list installed and compare them by hand?

I mean, not really..

I'd dump "rpm -qa" and check-update alongside awk (to dump whatever column), then use python/Ruby/bash/whatever to suck both into an associative array and compare from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

anthonypants posted:

compare them by hand?

This is a good, strong sign that a process is flawed.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

18 Character Limit posted:

This is a good, strong sign that a process is flawed.
Well, yeah, which is why I was asking if there's like an rpm --that-thing-i-said command instead. It's not like I'm going to get another option.

Fun fact: one of these servers hasn't been touched in so long, it still has a RedHat CA cert that expired almost exactly three years ago. I've already argued that 1) these are CentOS/RHEL so it's just backported security fixes and updates won't be introducing any weird compatibility issuesl 2) we haven't patched Linux servers before and there are extremely critical security fixes that need to be applied; and 3) because of #1 and #2 these patches should not be rolled back and if something breaks we should make the environment work instead. We even have a test environment to apply patches to. But, I'm not in charge.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

anthonypants posted:

Well, yeah, which is why I was asking if there's like an rpm --that-thing-i-said command instead. It's not like I'm going to get another option.

Fun fact: one of these servers hasn't been touched in so long, it still has a RedHat CA cert that expired almost exactly three years ago. I've already argued that 1) these are CentOS/RHEL so it's just backported security fixes and updates won't be introducing any weird compatibility issuesl 2) we haven't patched Linux servers before and there are extremely critical security fixes that need to be applied; and 3) because of #1 and #2 these patches should not be rolled back and if something breaks we should make the environment work instead. We even have a test environment to apply patches to. But, I'm not in charge.

I'm on vacation until Wednesday, but if you haven't put together a very small shell script to do this by then, I'll post something which uses the yum python API to do it directly

ssergE
Sep 10, 2001

No longer a stupid baby. Now a stupid teenager.
Would this help: https://access.redhat.com/discussions/670093

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Thermopyle posted:

Grafana + InfluxDB + collectd

There's other choices for InfluxDB/collectd that are good too
Is InfluxDB's clustering still hosed? I need a distributed TSDB and I've been floating the idea of OpenTSDB on Cassandra, but anything simpler is nice.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I wiped my Linux laptop (Thinkpad) and installed Fedora 24 and decided to enable full disk encryption and now this computer is super slow. Hitting the Windows key and opening up my desktop options for example makes the computer hang for a few seconds. Before I did this I had CentOS 7 installed and everything was snappy and fast. The Thinkpad had a SSD.

I know FDE is a performance hit but man this is just unusable imo. Did I miss something important or should I just wipe it again and reinstall without FDE?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Vulture Culture posted:

Is InfluxDB's clustering still hosed? I need a distributed TSDB and I've been floating the idea of OpenTSDB on Cassandra, but anything simpler is nice.

No clue, haven't had a need for it where I'd encounter any hosed-ness.

What is/was hosed about it?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

I wiped my Linux laptop (Thinkpad) and installed Fedora 24 and decided to enable full disk encryption and now this computer is super slow. Hitting the Windows key and opening up my desktop options for example makes the computer hang for a few seconds. Before I did this I had CentOS 7 installed and everything was snappy and fast. The Thinkpad had a SSD.

I know FDE is a performance hit but man this is just unusable imo. Did I miss something important or should I just wipe it again and reinstall without FDE?

Yup. It's only really worth it if your CPU has AES dedicated hardware.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I have been running Fedora 20-23 and Ubuntu 14.04 on desktop computers with SSD or older harddrive and I haven't really noticed any delays I would blame full disk encryption on. Admittedly I didn't have a computers with FDE for comparison, but I also had quite a bit of virtual machines running on them.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Odette posted:

Yup. It's only really worth it if your CPU has AES dedicated hardware.

My laptop's cpu says it has AES-NI according to the Intel Ark website though.

Saukkis posted:

I have been running Fedora 20-23 and Ubuntu 14.04 on desktop computers with SSD or older harddrive and I haven't really noticed any delays I would blame full disk encryption on. Admittedly I didn't have a computers with FDE for comparison, but I also had quite a bit of virtual machines running on them.

So before I installed Fedora 24, on CentOS 7 opening up Firefox was like an instant process more or less. On this new Fedora 24 w/ FDE install it feels like there's a 10s delay.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Vulture Culture posted:

It's an enterprise only paid for feature now. You're best choice is between trying to jam Cassandra under graphite or using TSDB. HBase region management :shepicide:

jre fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 8, 2016

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Boris Galerkin posted:

My laptop's cpu says it has AES-NI according to the Intel Ark website though.

So before I installed Fedora 24, on CentOS 7 opening up Firefox was like an instant process more or less. On this new Fedora 24 w/ FDE install it feels like there's a 10s delay.

It may be completely unrelated to the encryption. I use it on my work laptop (have to) and all home computers and can't say I've ever appreciated a performance penalty.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I reinstalled Fedora (24) without encryption. I don't have any timings but when I press '[Windows Key] Settings [Enter]' to open up the Gnome settings app it takes like 2-3 seconds for it to load and my computer hangs in the meantime. I didn't have this issue in my previous with CentOS 7 installation with the exact same hardware.

What do I check (logs?) to see what the deal is? Booting up now is relatively fast, but the time from when I enter my password and press enter and my laptop being logged in and I can do things is way too long for a modern computer with an SSD and an i7 (mobile but still).

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Start with the system journal

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

[*]+ = ?????? (is this the same as [.+] )

It's the same as \*+ -- "one or more of the '*' character". Inside [], which characters are "special" is different, so it's not uncommon to use [] to escape them.

quote:

/* = ???????????????? (what the gently caress is that forward slash)

Forward slashes aren't special. That's just "zero or more of the '/' character".

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 8, 2016

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

ToxicFrog posted:

It's the same as \*+ -- "zero or more of the '*' character". Inside [], which characters are "special" is different, so it's not uncommon to use [] to escape them.

small correction here, + is "one or more"

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

kujeger posted:

small correction here, + is "one or more"

This is what I get for posting early in the morning. Fixed.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the regex tips! I guess because all of the exercises up to that point had been A-Z and 0-9 characters, I just never considered any other characters would come up :facepalm:

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I can't get a systemd user service to autostart on boot.

Not too sure where to start, journalctl --user -u program.service only shows me manually starting it.

Tips?

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Odette posted:

Not too sure where to start, journalctl --user -u program.service only shows me manually starting it.

Tips?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd/User#Automatic_start-up_of_systemd_user_instances might be a good place to start I guess

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
I have finally reconfigured docker to use direct-lvm for storage and it's working as good as I can tell. However the docker-storage-setup service continues to show failed and it's not clear how to shut it up.

Any ideas on what to specify in its config? This is what appears in the logs:

quote:

Aug 09 08:56:08 gaia.haiti systemd[1]: Starting Docker Storage Setup...
Aug 09 08:56:08 gaia.haiti docker-storage-setup[840]: INFO: Volume group backing root filesystem could not be determined
Aug 09 08:56:08 gaia.haiti docker-storage-setup[840]: ERROR: Docker has been previously configured for use with devicemapper graph driver. Not creating a new thin pool as existing do...ill succeed.
Aug 09 08:56:08 gaia.haiti docker-storage-setup[840]: INFO: Docker state can be reset by stopping docker and by removing /var/lib/docker directory. This will destroy existing docker ...er metadata.
Aug 09 08:56:08 gaia.haiti systemd[1]: docker-storage-setup.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Odette posted:

Tips?

You need to enable the service (systemctl --user enable foo.service) and you need to enable "lingering" for your account, otherwise it won't even look at your user units until you log in and will shut them down again when you log out (loginctl enable-linger $USER).

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

evol262 posted:

Start with the system journal

I don't have anything saved anymore but thanks found out it was some kind of issue with my laptop having two GPUs or something like that. I looked at the solutions and what other people with my same laptop said worked out but it was too much more complicated than I wanted to bother with and just wiped the hard drive again and got rid of Fedora 24 and put it back on CentOS 7. I mean the problems "fixed" now or at least gone so whatever.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

You need to enable the service (systemctl --user enable foo.service) and you need to enable "lingering" for your account, otherwise it won't even look at your user units until you log in and will shut them down again when you log out (loginctl enable-linger $USER).

That makes zero sense because I've got a couple of other user units that autostart when I login. gently caress me, this is needlessly complicated.

EDIT:

Here's some output from journalctl

code:
-- Reboot --
Aug 09 17:41:50 hostname systemd[431]: Started AudoScrobbler client for MPD.
Aug 09 17:41:51 hostname systemd[431]: mpdas.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Aug 09 17:41:51 hostname systemd[431]: mpdas.service: Unit entered failed state.
Aug 09 17:41:51 hostname systemd[431]: mpdas.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
-- Reboot --
Aug 09 17:48:51 hostname systemd[421]: Started AudoScrobbler client for MPD.
Aug 09 17:48:52 hostname systemd[421]: mpdas.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Aug 09 17:48:52 hostname systemd[421]: mpdas.service: Unit entered failed state.
Aug 09 17:48:52 hostname systemd[421]: mpdas.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Another Wordpress security thing.

I'm trying to configure nginx so that direct POST requests to wp-login.php get blocked and legitimate users login via a url like /adminlogin instead (which redirects to wp-login.php).

First step, redirecting /adminlogin to wp-login.php works fine:
code:
location /adminlogin {  
  index /wp-login.php;
}
Next step, trying to block direct access to wp-login.php.

According to http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_core_module.html#internal I should be able to specify a location as "internal":

quote:

Specifies that a given location can only be used for internal requests. For external requests, the client error 404 (Not Found) is returned. Internal requests are the following:
requests redirected by the error_page, index, random_index, and try_files directives;

So I added:
code:
location = /wp-login.php {
  internal;
}  
This works - if I go to site.com/wp-login.php then I get a 404.

But I also get a 404 if I try to access it via /adminlogin. Even though /adminlogin uses the "index" directive, which is supposed to count as an internal request. I tried "try_files" instead of "index" and get the same thing.

What am I doing wrong?

To complicate things further, I actually don't want direct requests to wp-login.php to return a 404. Ideally they would redirect to a static file with some kind of message like "your login location has changed. Email me for the url". Is it possible to redirect direct requests to wp-login.php to a static file, but still allow access to wp-login.php via specific url like /adminlogin?

e: I never know if nginx questions should go here or in the hosting thread or web dev thread.

fuf fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Aug 10, 2016

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I need to keep a local folder in sync with a remote folder, but only have access to ftp. What's the best tool for that?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Odette posted:

That makes zero sense because I've got a couple of other user units that autostart when I login. gently caress me, this is needlessly complicated.

You said you wanted it to start on boot, though, not on login.

quote:

That doesn't look like a systemd problem, that looks like it's starting up and then immediately exiting with an error code. See if you can get the program itself to be more verbose so you can see why it's dying.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
I've got a fairly large live dataset (~150TB) that I need to slowly move Amazon S3.

If I use a tool like rsync (or rclone to get it directly to an S3 bucket), what happens when some data gets added to the set (or removed). Does rsync/rclone know what changed on the source side and update the corresponding data on the destination side, or would I have to make another run in order to see that data get updated?

I've never really had to do something like this before and feel like I'm swimming in the dark trying to figure out the proper way to do this.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Wicaeed posted:

I've got a fairly large live dataset (~150TB) that I need to slowly move Amazon S3.

If I use a tool like rsync (or rclone to get it directly to an S3 bucket), what happens when some data gets added to the set (or removed). Does rsync/rclone know what changed on the source side and update the corresponding data on the destination side, or would I have to make another run in order to see that data get updated?

I've never really had to do something like this before and feel like I'm swimming in the dark trying to figure out the proper way to do this.
gently caress the internet, go physical.

https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/aws-importexport-snowball-transfer-1-petabyte-per-week-using-amazon-owned-storage-appliances/

https://aws.amazon.com/importexport/

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Odette posted:

EDIT:

code:
-- Reboot --
Aug 09 17:41:50 hostname systemd[431]: Started AudoScrobbler client for MPD.
Aug 09 17:41:51 hostname systemd[431]: mpdas.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Aug 09 17:41:51 hostname systemd[431]: mpdas.service: Unit entered failed state.
Aug 09 17:41:51 hostname systemd[431]: mpdas.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
-- Reboot --
Aug 09 17:48:51 hostname systemd[421]: Started AudoScrobbler client for MPD.
Aug 09 17:48:52 hostname systemd[421]: mpdas.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Aug 09 17:48:52 hostname systemd[421]: mpdas.service: Unit entered failed state.
Aug 09 17:48:52 hostname systemd[421]: mpdas.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Did you do systemd daemon-reload after you edited your unit file?

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

:confused:

ASG still requires a method of mirroring the data between the local storage (and making sure that the data is kept up to date) and the gateway since ASG volumes attach via iSCSI, so the original question still applies. Now you have to store the data twice (or at least a subset of the data) so :shrug: Also while ASG uses S3 to store information, you can't get to that information directly within S3 itself, you have to take the roundabout way of taking the ASG volume snapshot, exporting the snapshot to EBS, and mounting it into an EC2 instance, and from there you can do some things with it.

Snowball is interesting and possibly the best solution, but after the initial data sync, how do you keep the local copy & the S3 bucket in sync across such a large dataset?

We are already in a PoC for ASG as well. One thing I don't quite understand is regarding the cached drives on the ASG itself. I'm using it to store backups that slowly trickle offsite to S3, yet the iSCSI mounted volumes on the storage gateway only report having as much disk capacity as I've given to the cached volume...so I end up having to give it 6TB of storage on our SAN, to store 6TB in S3?

Wicaeed fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Aug 11, 2016

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

mike12345 posted:

I need to keep a local folder in sync with a remote folder, but only have access to ftp. What's the best tool for that?

to elaborate, years ago I used lftp with -mirror, but there are probably more elegant solutions available nowadays.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

You said you wanted it to start on boot, though, not on login.

That doesn't look like a systemd problem, that looks like it's starting up and then immediately exiting with an error code. See if you can get the program itself to be more verbose so you can see why it's dying.

Boot? Login? I was tired, sorry about that. :(

I filed an issue on Github under the original project but was closed shortly after the author said "I don't distribute system units, not my problem" which is pretty understandable. (I got the unit from AUR. I can start it manually no problem, just not quite sure why it's failing after login.

Vulture Culture posted:

Did you do systemd daemon-reload after you edited your unit file?

You know what, I probably didn't do that.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

This is my desktop right now. I'm using a stock gnome-classic-session. It's fine but I want to do a few things to it:

1. The notification on the bottom is from Spotify. I know I can disable notifications from Spotify but I like them because Spotify is in another Workspace. None the less, I want to throw the notification up into the menu bar at the top. Hell it doesn't even need to be a notification, just a text in the menu bar saying "[Artist] - [Song]" would be nice, maybe even throw in a Spotify icon or something to visually indicate that it's music.

2. The bar on the bottom is completely useless. When I was futzing around with Fedora 24. I saw there was an option to turn it off in Tweak tools, but I don't see that option here. Is there maybe a gsettings option to disable it? Similarly there were options in Fedora 24 to disable the "Applications" and "Places" menu dropdowns in the top bar as well that are missing here.

3. On the menu bar I want to change the timedate format to eg "Thu. 2016-08-11 13:41" instead of what currently shows up. I can't find an option anywhere to adjust what gets displayed.

4. On the menu bar is there a way to get rid of some of these icons. I don't need the airplane mode icon that shows up from disabling wifi.

5. Not shown but when I switch workspaces (ctrl-alt-up/down) a thing pops up in the center showing me what workspace I'm in. This is also completely useless to me and it also lingers on way too long so can I disable this popup somehow?

e:

6. At home I use a MacBook Pro for all my programming needs and I use the iTerm terminal. I open up programs by hitting [Windows] and searching for the program I want and on the Mac it's [Command]+[Space] instead of [Windows]. I've owned a Mac for over a decade now I guess so I've pretty much got it ingrained to open up a new terminal window by searching for "iTerm" but here in CentOS the terminal I'm using is just called "Terminal" so needless to say searching for "iTe" doesn't bring anything up. Can I make a symlink or something so that searching for iTerm finds Terminal instead and opens it up? I just don't wanna learn new tricks.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Aug 11, 2016

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I would like to use postfix as an internal relay to forward unauthenticated SMTP mail to Office 365. Because O365 requires authentication, I'd like to rewrite the sender address from baduser@domain.local to something like relay+baduser@domain.com. Assuming that's even a valid from: address, postfix doesn't seem to be translating it. I've got a map file:
code:
/(.*?)@domain.local/ relay+$1@domain.com
and my main.cf has
code:
smtp_generic_maps = pcre:/etc/postfix/generic
and postmap -q "baduser@domain.local" pcre:/etc/postfix/generic even returns relay+baduser@domain.com. What am I missing?

e: I don't know why, but what I needed to use instead of generic maps was sender_canonical_maps.
main.cf:
code:
sender_canonical_maps = pcre:/etc/postfix/sender_canonical
sender_canonical:
code:
/(.*?)@domain.local/ relay+$1@domain.com
And it works! :toot:
ee: But Office 365 doesn't allow plus signs in email addresses! gently caress you, Microsoft!

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 12, 2016

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
I'm having a sod of a time getting nginx/apache/wordpress to play nice.

I had apache on port 80 and wordpress ran fine. I then setup nginx to sit in front of it (client request) and the wp-admin works fine, but the homepage redirect loops.

The nginx config is:

code:
server {
        listen   80;
        root /home/example/public_html;
        index index.php index.html index.htm;

server_name example.com [url]www.example.com;[/url]

location / {
        try_files $uri $uri/ /index.php;
        index  index.html index.htm index.php;
        }

location ~ \.php$ {

proxy_set_header X-Real-IP  $remote_addr;
        proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $remote_addr;
        proxy_set_header Host $host;
        proxy_pass [url]http://127.0.0.1:8080;[/url]

}

location ~ /\.ht {
                deny all;
        }
}
And the vhost in apache is:

code:
<VirtualHost 127.0.0.1:8080>
        ServerName example.com
        ServerAlias [url]www.example.com[/url]
        DocumentRoot /home/example/public_html
        RUidGid example example
</VirtualHost>
Google indicates that putting
code:
remove_filter('template_redirect', 'redirect_canonical');
in the theme's function.php works, but that's really not a proper fix in my mind.

The fact that it works with that code in place is making me think wordpress isn't picking up the host, but if I do a bit of code to echo $_SERVER it all shows correctly, so I'm not sure what I'm missing. The RUidGid bit is for mod_ruid2 so PHP files are owned properly by the user, I thought it might be related to that, but wp-admin works perfectly and there's no errors in the nginx or apache log about this.

Does anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: :sigh: Putting a / at the end of the proxy_pass got it working.

Experto Crede fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 12, 2016

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I'm trying to get collectd + influxdb working, but I can't seem to get anything from collectd into influxdb.

With this in my collectd.conf:

code:
<Plugin network>
        Server "127.0.0.1" "25826"
</Plugin>
Shouldn't this command be showing me something every 10 seconds (which is what I have Interval set to in collectd.conf)?

code:
tcpdump -i lo -p -n dst port 25826 -v
I'm getting something every 5 minutes or more.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese
Is InfluxDB configured to accept collectd metrics? It won't natively, and I don't see a collectd output plugin to write to InfluxDB, just OpenTSDB and graphite, among other things.

Also check if InfluxDB is listening on all interfaces, or on your eth0 or equivalent, instead of the loopback interface; what's the output of "ss -tln?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I ran across a bug in Fedora 24 where I had typed my password into the xlock (or whatever is used to lock X) textbox, but got distracted before actually finishing. When the monitor turned off I noticed and hit enter. When the password screen reappeared my password was shown as plain text instead of dots. The effect stayed around through a couple wrong passwords but it was fine after the next screen lock. I was excited to make a bug report but now I can't replicate it.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 13, 2016