Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Gammatron 64 posted:

I liked Mass Effect up until the end of it.

People say the same thing about BSG but well... I thought it was kinda boring.

I'm like an insane weirdo who likes the original BSG more than the new one because it's a cheesy as hell bootleg Star Wars.

Yes I am fine with cheesy when you know about it going in.

Fat Shat Sings posted:

You are comparing getting terrible food poisoning at the end of a really fantastic meal to eating a seven course poo poo meal that is poo poo all the way through.

I'll take that 70/30 Fantastic/Terrible split to the 100% Terrible split any day. No matter if the 30% of BSG is the worst thing since the holocaust.

Making a food analogy and see Shatner's fat face make this work all the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Fat Shat Sings posted:

You are comparing getting terrible food poisoning at the end of a really fantastic meal to eating a seven course poo poo meal that is poo poo all the way through.

I'll take that 70/30 Fantastic/Terrible split to the 100% Terrible split any day. No matter if the 30% of BSG is the worst thing since the holocaust.

Yeah seriously I slam so hard on how BSG turned out but I'm still glad we got what we did

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

cheerfullydrab posted:

The guy was half right. Galactica itself didn't do that stuff, but there were ships in the fleet where it happened. There was even an episode or two where people were like "I just got on this one ship to see my aunt, then while I was on board, everybody I knew got vaporized by Cylons, and ever since then I've been refining algae 16 hours a day every day. Please make things suck less." and Adama was all like "gently caress you, get back to work."

Ammo was def made in the Galactica; the sabotage person was working in Galactica's armory.

e: :colbert:

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 12, 2016

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

BSG was a good show with a bad ending but Caprica was so goddamn boring that I couldn't watch anything BSG related afterwards.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The bsg blood and chrome miniseries was alright. It was written by Michael Taylor who wrote for ds9 and there are a bunch of star trek references in it. For example, a kid is born and named anslem, which was the title of future Jake sisko's bestselling novel.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

Arcsquad12 posted:

The bsg blood and chrome miniseries was alright. It was written by Michael Taylor who wrote for ds9 and there are a bunch of star trek references in it. For example, a kid is born and named anslem, which was the title of future Jake sisko's bestselling novel.

That is pretty cool.

BSG's biggest sin is somehow convincing hordes of nerds that Kate Sackoff was a good actress.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Trast posted:

That is pretty cool.

BSG's biggest sin is somehow convincing hordes of nerds that Kate Sackoff was a good actress.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that the hordes of nerds didn't care about Kate Sackoff's acting ability at all

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
I can appreciate BSG solely as a several season long "NO... gently caress YOU!" From Ron Moore to Rick Berman.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

So much of BSG was absolutely awful though. Its impossible to re-watch when the density of the slog sets in and you are sick of your thousandth closeup of Madam President and Olmos' pock marks.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
I also like the old BSG.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The old bsg had kurn the klingom as baltar.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I'm just after watching Star Trek VI on Syfy, and the strange editing continues. For some reason they decided to cut out the part where it's revealed that the Klingon assassin was actually Renee Auberjonios. Seems like an odd choice considering they didn't really cut anything else out.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
When I was sitting in the theater watching Halloween Resurrection starring BUSTA RHYMES, I saw Katee Sackoff for the first time, it may have been her big debut idk, but i knew right then and there she would be a super star actress in a beloved sci fi franchise reboot someday

CHICKEN SHOES fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 13, 2016

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

EvilTaytoMan posted:

I'm just after watching Star Trek VI on Syfy, and the strange editing continues. For some reason they decided to cut out the part where it's revealed that the Klingon assassin was actually Renee Auberjonios. Seems like an odd choice considering they didn't really cut anything else out.

There are two versions of that movie. One with most of the "It was really kinda the Federation behind the thing the whole time" stuff cut out and one with it still in. I wanna say the DVD boxset I got forever ago of all the TOS movies has the cut version which is a shame.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
The chubby mechanic who was married to the Asian Cylon just keeps getting bigger. Every time I see him in a new role I think Jesus he's gotten even fatter.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

criscodisco posted:

The chubby mechanic who was married to the Asian Cylon just keeps getting bigger. Every time I see him in a new role I think Jesus he's gotten even fatter.

they were both great in SG1 too.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
BSG was great at the time because it was like hey this space show is taking itself seriously and isn't showing me the same poo poo over and over again but they started chasing Lost type story twists and never really had a plan despite opening every episode telling the audience explicitly that was the case, and a decade on nearly everybody does some version of the shakeycam spacebattle with the washed out colour timing

The rewatchability drops off after the New Caprica rescue, although I thought the mutiny was also good and the first big musical reveal was kickass before they went nuts with it later on. Overall it's so loving early 00's grimdark that it's almost funny sometimes

and why the gently caress is every variation of "chief" constantly tortured in pop sci fi

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd like a new stargate series. Apart from Universe falling apart, SG1 and Atlantis are both tons of fun and have a slew of science fiction alumni. Too bad that Roland Emmerich is going to make another lovely movie about it.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I just recently watched for the first time like oh 10 seasons of Stargate this year

I got to where Richard Dean Anderson left in SG1 and about the end of 2 when they started killing people off for no reason. Then I read something and saw that they put tapping in season 3 or whatever and was just like NOPE it was fun while it lasted

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Yeah, but They also brought Robert Picardo in on Atlantis

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I just recently watched for the first time like oh 10 seasons of Stargate this year

I got to where Richard Dean Anderson left in SG1 and about the end of 2 when they started killing people off for no reason. Then I read something and saw that they put tapping in season 3 or whatever and was just like NOPE it was fun while it lasted

Ben Browder is an excellent replacement leader though.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Trast posted:

No I think that was a product of (mostly) good writing and (mostly) good direction. Compare Kate Mulgrew in anything else to Janeway and you can see what a difference it makes.

criscodisco posted:

Chief O'Brien Tyrol must suffer.

Arcsquad12 posted:

The old bsg had kurn the klingom as baltar.

He was Kor you jagoff.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Really wish they would have kept the sassy purple headed robots though

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Apollodorus posted:

He was Kor you jagoff.

Kurn, Kor, all Klingons look alike. Kor got brain damage and decided to fight with Alzheimer's in one DS9 episode.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Arcsquad12 posted:

Kurn, Kor, all Klingons look alike. Kor got brain damage and decided to fight with Alzheimer's in one DS9 episode.

And it was GLORIOUS

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Fat Shat Sings posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that the hordes of nerds didn't care about Kate Sackoff's acting ability at all

It's so creepy when people try to pretend people with a bunch of facial moles are attractive. Moles: god's way of saying "hey this person's cells are bad at reproducing and your progeny will be prone to cancer; do not gently caress."

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I've never attempted a BSG rewatch because I'm almost certain my love for the show will completely evaporate. I've only ever watched it once, as it aired.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Samantha Carter's in seasons 3 and 4, and she's perfectly fine :shrug:. She's not even a full out-in-the-field teammate, she's stuck running Atlantis day-to-day in place of Dr Weir. Woolsey gets stuck with the job in season 5 and it's amazing.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The Troi plot element is so goofy as gently caress to me, because on the one hand it's after the writers successfully pushed to reinstate enlisted people, but on the other hand these same writers apparently forgot (or decided to ignore) that just because the medical officers are higher-ranked doesn't mean they're actually in line for command. Like if an aircraft carrier suddenly lost all its senior officers, the carrier wouldn't find itself under the command of Commander Dentist, it'd go to some lieutenant who's actually a line officer. TOS even loving knew about this, when Spock relieved himself he didn't pass command to McCoy, it went to some one-episode Lieutenant.

TNG goes out of its way to show that people can switch departments like they were working for a company, rather than the military, and you even see in All Good Things... that dedicated medical ships exist. LaForge starts off as a console officer on the bridge wearing Red, as does Worf. Hell, even in the JJverse you see Kirk hand over the job of Chief Engineer to Chekov and tell him to put on a red shirt.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I've never attempted a BSG rewatch because I'm almost certain my love for the show will completely evaporate. I've only ever watched it once, as it aired.

The first two seasons hold up great. Beyond that you remember all the rare good bits (the mutiny, and maybe the final battle), and the baaaad stretches. Just stop after they escape New Caprica and be happier for it. Also no-one mentioned it, but BSG:Razor's actually a pretty good watch as well.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 13, 2016

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

they were both great in SG1 too.

SG1, now there is a show that was good for not taking itself completely serious all the time. :3:

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Samantha Carter's in seasons 3 and 4, and she's perfectly fine :shrug:. She's not even a full out-in-the-field teammate, she's stuck running Atlantis day-to-day in place of Dr Weir. Woolsey gets stuck with the job in season 5 and it's amazing.

TNG goes out of its way to show that people can switch departments like they were working for a company, rather than the military, and you even see in All Good Things... that dedicated medical ships exist. LaForge starts off as a console officer on the bridge wearing Red, as does Worf. Hell, even in the JJverse you see Kirk hand over the job of Chief Engineer to Chekov and tell him to put on a red shirt.

The first two seasons hold up great. Beyond that you remember all the rare good bits (the mutiny, and maybe the final battle), and the baaaad stretches. Just stop after they escape New Caprica and be happier for it. Also no-one mentioned it, but BSG:Razor's actually a pretty good watch as well.

Medical ships are something that exist now. They would also make sense in Star Trek where there is always some new kind of plague cropping up right after Riker has shore leave there.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Trast posted:

SG1, now there is a show that was good for not taking itself completely serious all the time. :3:

Was it mid-season one or the start of season 2 that they beat some sense into the writers to do their own thing and stop Brave New World'ing to compete with Star Trek VOY/DS9? Because boy are some of the first-season episodes pretty clearly trying to go Away Team.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
My last BSG rewatch was maybe 2? years ago and I do remember the end being a horrible slog that I just wanted to be over. I will defend the end and the last bits to the death, I think people are way too harsh on them, but as a binged rewatch the whole thing was just very boring and tedious.

Oddly enough, I originally got into the show in season 3. The first episode I saw was season 3 episode one and I watched that whole season and everything after that live. The more times I've seen the show all the way through since then the more I've realized what a strange place and time that is to start cold with it.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Trast posted:

The 200th episode man.... Good Times.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Neddy Seagoon posted:

To be honest at that point I think I was just burnt out, I'll probably finish it up here soon.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cthulu Carl posted:

The 200th episode man.... Good Times.

I just loved it for finally addressing the Farscape elephant in the room in the best way possible, and while everyone easily guessed what the other shows being ripped off were, they just stared at that one like :wtc:.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I just loved it for finally addressing the Farscape elephant in the room in the best way possible, and while everyone easily guessed what the other shows being ripped off were, they just stared at that one like :wtc:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCNDdlCo4rA

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Grin has an update on his Star Trek recuts. CBS are being total cocks and constantly attacking him over his parody videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYJFoJ6zH-E

If you want to watch most of the TNG recuts, they're currently on his Emperor Grin channel.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXA7IhbBKWAGACPbGfMBQfw

naem
May 29, 2011

I've never watched an episode of stargate anywhere but a laundromat in college

There seemed to be an all stargate syndication channel with random episodes in no order, it was always on. For like 3 years.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Was it mid-season one or the start of season 2 that they beat some sense into the writers to do their own thing and stop Brave New World'ing to compete with Star Trek VOY/DS9? Because boy are some of the first-season episodes pretty clearly trying to go Away Team.

I know that they had a lot of ex Star Trek writers involved. But as for why they started lightening up I am not sure. Richard Dean Anderson probably had lots to do with as Jack kind of evolved from a bitter hard rear end into someone enjoying how weird his job was. The time loop episode was something special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Also I just remembered that the writer that wrote racist african planet for TNG wrote the sexist mongolian planet episode for SG1!