Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
My terrible group of scrubs would say "Zarya's one-shot" to signify that she's hurt, which might actually be dumber and less meaningful than "Zarya's lit"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I'm less surprised that this showed up and more that Urban Dictionary has been around since before 2003

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Soothing Vapors posted:

My terrible group of scrubs would say "Zarya's one-shot" to signify that she's hurt, which might actually be dumber and less meaningful than "Zarya's lit"

yea that's p bad and doesn't even make sense

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Yeah that's the thing, nowhere in this does it say it means a character in a video game is about to die. That use is too new and hip to even wiggle the meter at urban dictionary, the last refuge for old people trying to decipher them kids of today.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I remember Lit, they were on fleek.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc5iTNVEOAg

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Manatee Cannon posted:

yea that's p bad and doesn't even make sense

agreed but I think a streamer said it and it caught on or something. As long as whatever dumb thing you say communicates effectively with the idiots you call friends, who cares I guess

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

words mean lots of things and those meanings can evolve over time why are we still talking about this

did you guys know cool can also mean a sensation of temperature

did you know that if someone is hot it could mean that they are very attractive and not just that they are feeling warm

NmareBfly posted:

to me if someone is getting lit it means they are smoking illegal drugs. Is this no longer the case? Am I old?

yes it also means that

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

I hear "that fuckin genji is 1hp" mostly. i don't think i've ever heard someone say lit in overwatch.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's a comp thing, and people use it because it's short

saying "med's lit" is a really fast and simple way to convey that the enemy team's healer is at low health and lets your team know to focus on them. maps get specific callouts and poo poo and it really depends on the team, but being able to convey what's happening fast in a way people will understand is important. good communication helps a lot

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Chewbot posted:

Every time I've heard lit, it sounds like a stoned surfer cliche. "Dude, I'm soooo lit right now <drag>". It's not obvious what "lit" means if you haven't heard it before, it could be good or bad or just mean you're high. You could say near death, almost dead, weak, 10 health left, low, hurt, which are all more clear than lit.

Say lit if you want, though. Who cares?

NmareBfly posted:

to me if someone is getting lit it means they are smoking illegal drugs. Is this no longer the case? Am I old?

I've always heard "lit up" for "damaged" or "under fire". Research (google "lit up") says it might be a military thing. To be "lit" is to be high, and it became a general adjective to describe something cool, like "dope" (similar origin too).

This has been etymology 420, join us next time when we discuss the origins of the term "salty".

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Also Yipes would give all y'all a stroke.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Dias posted:

I've always heard "lit up" for "damaged" or "under fire". Research (google "lit up") says it might be a military thing. To be "lit" is to be high, and it became a general adjective to describe something cool, like "dope" (similar origin too).

Yeah, I've also heard the military 'light that guy up' as in we should shoot that guy and I guess the pro-gaming use makes sense as a derivative of that? It's the past tense. We lit them up, so now they are lit / damaged.

I'd just say 'zarya's low' but maybe that could be confused with a positioning thing?

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Aw poo poo I'm liiiit

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

e: wrong thread

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

NmareBfly posted:

Yeah that's the thing, nowhere in this does it say it means a character in a video game is about to die. That use is too new and hip to even wiggle the meter at urban dictionary, the last refuge for old people trying to decipher them kids of today.

Lit in common usage now is relatively new; modern usage of the term basically means "is awesome" or something similar. Lit in gaming usage has been around for a while, at least in the competitive scene. I remember almost everyone I played CS with saying someone is "lit" back in the OGL/CAL days.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Bolow posted:

Find me a better way to convey someone is near death that can be said in 3 words or less

Also stop being so tilted :greenangel:

Low.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I personally say "Zarya's low" or "Zenyatta's lit" or "Genji one-shot" etc. whenever an enemy player is near death. Don't discriminate gaming jargon. All gaming jargon matters.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
This thread is the opposite of lit

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

this thread is lit by the fires of hell on page 666

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

hail satan :devil:

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
For the Army, helicopter pilots would use "Lit" as a slang response when infantry asks them to "light that target up." Signifying they completed their strafing run/bombardment of a target and that infantry needs to ask for Repeat or move the gently caress in and count bodies.

Otherwise getting lit is being high/drunk.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
Oh gently caress page 666

Quintuple Kill while Dead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGF-Xj46Fg0

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

It also means low health in Overwatch

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

hail satan

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
How did this thread get worse? Can we hear more from game suggestions from Jastiger please

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Rufio posted:

How did this thread get worse? Can we hear more from game suggestions from Jastiger please

:chloe:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Rufio posted:

My game suggestions are good and have been echoed by at least 3 different posters, tyvm.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

This has and always will be, the bad thread.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Where is the good thread, they need my contributions.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Jastiger posted:

Where is the good thread, they need my contributions.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3775648

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Dva is op, Pharah needs 250 life, what am I missing for bingo

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

My truck honors this page

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
How about i just threw a flashbang at a Zenyatta, it showed on both our screens that it hit his hero and it just had no effect.

Fix you're goddam game Blizzard. It was right when h e discorded me too, wtf.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Embrace Tranquility

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Games just aren't as fun when people aren't screeching at me for playing Torb.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

hi I didn't forget but it's friday and i cannot do admin functions outside of my phone. i am sorry for this. please pick whether you want a 150x150 version of the rank1 avatar someone posted or a 150x150 version of hanjo standing upon a bunch of turnip dolls. thank you

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

hanjo upon a pile of Pachimari(ies?)

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

wait i'm rallying

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Adbot