Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

there we go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

please don't tell zen death robot how bad an admin i am or he'll beat me

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

The best part is hanjo facing away from posts as he refuses to get on the point.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

flipping the thing to face the posts while preserving the i hanjo is beyond my paint.net expertise on a friday night at 11:30 but if someone fixes it up i will be happy to change it

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Actually now that my silence is over in-game it might be a cool experiment to just play Torb again and see if I get silenced again while saying absolutely nothing.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Verranicus posted:

Actually now that my silence is over in-game it might be a cool experiment to just play Torb again and see if I get silenced again while saying absolutely nothing.

Its maddening to play silenced. You can't call out struff or advocate for new classes or anything. Its really stupid and is a net detriment to the game without more social queues built in. I've also taken to reporting anyone taht pisses me off. Now that i know it works if you just group report people for stupid poo poo.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

just got me some drat love mail playing mercy :buddy:

it turns out people like it when you use your guns!!!

strong bird
May 12, 2009

I cant communicate with Argentinian teenagers, oh nooo

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Cowcaster posted:

flipping the thing to face the posts while preserving the i hanjo is beyond my paint.net expertise on a friday night at 11:30 but if someone fixes it up i will be happy to change it

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Jastiger posted:

Its maddening to play silenced. You can't call out struff or advocate for new classes or anything. Its really stupid and is a net detriment to the game without more social queues built in. I've also taken to reporting anyone taht pisses me off. Now that i know it works if you just group report people for stupid poo poo.

I'm gonna do it, see what happens. Not even gonna say glhf or gg this time.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
These are the sort of people who got me reported and silenced (might not be safe to view at work so I spoilered it):

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Can we get some loving punctuation over here?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Is anyone else experiencing severe lag and choppiness since the latest patch? Overwatch was fine for me up until a week ago or so. Now, every single game is extremely laggy and choppy and it's not really playable. I've scanned and repaired the game, updated my geforce drivers, and even uninstalled and reinstalled the game to no effect.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

clockworkjoe posted:

Is anyone else experiencing severe lag and choppiness since the latest patch? Overwatch was fine for me up until a week ago or so. Now, every single game is extremely laggy and choppy and it's not really playable. I've scanned and repaired the game, updated my geforce drivers, and even uninstalled and reinstalled the game to no effect.

Are you running any third party programs in the background? I know Overwatch doesn't like when I have Fraps or Razer Cortex running.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Verranicus posted:

Are you running any third party programs in the background? I know Overwatch doesn't like when I have Fraps or Razer Cortex running.

Nothing that I wasn't running before the latest patch. I don't use Fraps or Razer Cortex.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

Can we get some loving punctuation over here?

Manner up, please.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The ranked yo-yo is the worst. I keep going up to 39 and then cratering back to 37. I just want to hit 40 and never play a ranked match again goddamnit.

EDIT: "again" meaning for the rest of this season. it's the deadline for this end of season bonus that's bugging me out.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

clockworkjoe posted:

What are the network stats like when you're in a game?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Verranicus posted:

These are the sort of people who got me reported and silenced (might not be safe to view at work so I spoilered it):

Oh yeah you can tell who reports you. I cracked my joke about bastion falling asleep and IMMEDIATELY got an email about the report. They were a 4 stack, of which thr bastion was a part of, and we were rolling them and they got salty towards the end. Grats system on rewarding that behavior.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
I tried Bastion a bit. Road hog just snatched the turret with his chain and then one shotted me like a clay pigeon. Repeatedly.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Jastiger posted:

Oh yeah you can tell who reports you. I cracked my joke about bastion falling asleep and IMMEDIATELY got an email about the report. They were a 4 stack, of which thr bastion was a part of, and we were rolling them and they got salty towards the end. Grats system on rewarding that behavior.

By being all bitter and cynical about it you are basically setting yourself up for your next silence. gently caress man, did you learn nothing from all those times you had your League of Legends account restricted?

Same thing goes for you, Duck and Cover. I've seen you post on these forums throughout the years and I have no doubt that you earned that silence. Learn from it, because most people will never ever get silenced. You are the exception to the rule.

I can't speak for Verranicus because I have either never seen him post all that much or I simply can't associate the username with the posts (edit: so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt). I think you other two are making a mistake tho by thinking that his situation is evidence that the system is completely flawed and thus concluding that your silences were somehow unjust. :siren: Newsflash: you assholes can be assholes. :siren:

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Aug 13, 2016

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
That would require some self examination though. Much easier to blame the system!!

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Last weekend before the season ends, time to grind some ranks. If I hit 56 I'll be satisfied, if I hit 60 I'll be really happy since that would put me over 300 cp.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
60s are an interesting place to solo queue. In the 50s the skill level in matches was pretty even, aside from the occasional pre-made situation of a 60+ dude with a low-50s, high-40 buddy. In 60s, it seems pretty much anything goes and the average skill levels wary pretty wildly in comparison. Is the number of players in 60+ ranks that small compared to the 40s-50s or what is this?

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Laputanmachine posted:

60s are an interesting place to solo queue. In the 50s the skill level in matches was pretty even, aside from the occasional pre-made situation of a 60+ dude with a low-50s, high-40 buddy. In 60s, it seems pretty much anything goes and the average skill levels wary pretty wildly in comparison. Is the number of players in 60+ ranks that small compared to the 40s-50s or what is this?

The bell curve of ranks peaks at the mid-40s, so yes there's probably more people at <30 than >60

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Its all the system, man. I know i earned some silencing when i get salty at team mates. But i know exactly what happened on this one and its pretty clear that the system seems to be set up to reward group reporting of opposition teams. You can tell cuz its reported in real time to you. I have played with folks (not goons) that have admitted to reporting peoole that ask/demand they go a different class. poo poo happens. The problem is that its automated to punish this behavior insteaf of any kind of guidelines against toxic behaviors or some such like racism, sexism, and downright degredation of others.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Double Bill posted:

The bell curve of ranks peaks at the mid-40s, so yes there's probably more people at <30 than >60

I was just surprised how clear break point the rank 60 seems to be in that regard.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
If anybody's played Dota, they're familiar with the "(X) is feeding and doesn't care, everyone report him" thing. And everybody's reported someone. And everybody's had reports that had no action, and everybody's seen that dialogue box that said "we decided to take action against one or more people you've reported, thanks." And, aside from the idiots calling for mass reports, everybody's seen the blog posts about how the number of people reporting someone has no influence on whether action is taken, each case is investigated to make sure nobody is trolling etc.

Seems Blizzard is taking the opposite tack. If they couldn't even read a log of the team chat, they'd be doing exactly what it is they're doing.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

does completing brawls count towards getting rid of the leaver penalty?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Jastiger posted:

Its all the system, man. I know i earned some silencing when i get salty at team mates. But i know exactly what happened on this one and its pretty clear that the system seems to be set up to reward group reporting of opposition teams. You can tell cuz its reported in real time to you. I have played with folks (not goons) that have admitted to reporting peoole that ask/demand they go a different class. poo poo happens. The problem is that its automated to punish this behavior insteaf of any kind of guidelines against toxic behaviors or some such like racism, sexism, and downright degredation of others.

It's pretty telling that it's difficult for you to play while silenced. I'd be willing to gamble that your silence came from more than that one instance.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Sindai posted:

What are the network stats like when you're in a game?

How do I check that? I do see the network lag icon all the time basically.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric

Double Bill posted:

I thought it peaked exactly on 50. At least I saw a chart that showed that. I'm rank 44 and it says I'm in the bottom 21%.

I'm so godawful in ranked but I do pretty well in quick play (over 53% win rate). Maybe tryharding is loving me up.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Grammaton posted:

I thought it peaked exactly on 50. At least I saw a chart that showed that. I'm rank 44 and it says I'm in the bottom 21%.

I'm so godawful in ranked but I do pretty well in quick play (over 53% win rate). Maybe tryharding is loving me up.

If you're actually trying to win in quick play then you're already doing more than like half the people in your games

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Mierenneuker posted:

By being all bitter and cynical about it you are basically setting yourself up for your next silence. gently caress man, did you learn nothing from all those times you had your League of Legends account restricted?

Same thing goes for you, Duck and Cover. I've seen you post on these forums throughout the years and I have no doubt that you earned that silence. Learn from it, because most people will never ever get silenced. You are the exception to the rule.

I can't speak for Verranicus because I have either never seen him post all that much or I simply can't associate the username with the posts (edit: so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt). I think you other two are making a mistake tho by thinking that his situation is evidence that the system is completely flawed and thus concluding that your silences were somehow unjust. :siren: Newsflash: you assholes can be assholes. :siren:

I am an absolute raging saltlord and I have never been silenced so I can't even imagine the lengths it takes for anyone else to get it.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Grammaton posted:

The third-party ranking sites are not accurate, because they only count players that have visited the site, who tend to be higher ranked. AFAIK the mid-40s figure came from Blizzard.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
Well that's actually reassuring because I was up to 48 for a time so I'm solidly mediocre. :downs:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Jastiger posted:

Considering how much salt people in this thread unleash over other people playing classes they disapprove of, I am perfectly willing to believe that you complained about someone's class selection in a way worth reporting.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

clockworkjoe posted:

Same here. The patch definitely changed something, you're not crazy. If you want to see for yourself, run PingPlotter (just pinging google.com) and compare. I didn't have any issues; it's only Overwatch whose network graph is all over the place.

Game's basically unplayable, if you're semi-serious about it. At least I don't play hitscan heroes.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 13, 2016

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Just had a guy throw a comp game because I didn't play the character he demanded I play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

PureRok posted:

Just had a guy throw a comp game because I didn't play the character he demanded I play.

How does it feel to know you are the reason for that loss?