Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
And yes, I have posted the same question a dozen times and received three fricken answers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I think with MFL's endless spam about transactions shenanigans like drop-readd for salary savings will be harder to get away with; the biggest annoyance about them last season was there were no notifications or anything about a player being dropped, so they were basically trivial to get away with

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I don't have my calendar in front of me but I think sept 2 or 3 would work for me. I do have a nephew's birthday that weekend but I should be able to work around that.

putting some kind of minimum time required between dropping a player and when you can re-bid on that player is fine with me. I'll put that to a specific vote.

Makes sense for you to have to pay something to steal a taxi player. Compensatory pick, or similar. Another option is to require you to start a stolen player in the next match, unless the player is I jured or suspended after you steal them. That way you can't steal just to deny another team, you have to actually need that player.

Thanks for tallying the votes, spermy. I want to give Gyshall a few more days to resurface... he was here in the late spring when I previously checked in with the thread, so I'm inclined to give him more time in case he's on vacation or something.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Fantasy football > your nephew

Teach them young

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I could do either of those dates

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Stevie Lee posted:

I could do either of those dates

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Tyler said 2nd or 3rd prob work. He is going t shoot off a random draft list in case he cant make it. He might be out for a bit around that time.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm back from vacation!

I've just sent final emails and PMs to Gyshall and kazak_Hstan. Whoever I haven't heard from by Sunday night gets replaced - I'll start recruiting in the main FF thread on SA at that point.

I have several items of business to attend to here but #1 is the draft. Since I can set custom draft order round-by-round, and given the voting, we'll follow the rules as stated and use MFL's drafting tool to draft. I'll set a reasonable amount of time per pick (probably 90 seconds?). The one thing I'm not sure of is whether a commissioner can pause the draft, such as if an owner decides to initiate a trade of the pick while it's running.

Right now we are favoring Friday the 1st or Saturday the 2nd for drafting. Hixalot doesn't know what his work schedule for September will be yet, but I'll tentatively say Saturday the 2nd 3rd at 6PM pacific/9pm Eastern. That's the earliest that Hixalot would be available on his current schedule, and hopefully not too late for goons on the east coast, given it's a saturday.

Note that Monday, Sept. 5th is Labor Day.

If anyone definitely can't draft on that date/time, now is a good time to speak up!

I will lock rosters 1 week before the draft day. So right now, that'd mean you can't drop anyone between Saturday, August 27th and the draft; you can drop players during the draft I guess, and after the draft for sure; those players go into the first FAAB waiver cycle which I'll set to begin immediately after the draft.

Obviously we need to work out the details of the practice/taxi squad, which I'll do in the next few days. The dues will be $25 plus your share of the MFL fees (which this year amounts to a few bucks each - I'll look up the exact amount in a bit). I will also do a quick poll on the handful of items that some of you suggested/raised during the last poll. Other than that I think we're starting to look good for the season!

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 20, 2016

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Leperflesh posted:

I'm back from vacation!

I've just sent final emails and PMs to Gyshall and kazak_Hstan. Whoever I haven't heard from by Sunday night gets replaced - I'll start recruiting in the main FF thread on SA at that point.

I have several items of business to attend to here but #1 is the draft. Since I can set custom draft order round-by-round, and given the voting, we'll follow the rules as stated and use MFL's drafting tool to draft. I'll set a reasonable amount of time per pick (probably 90 seconds?). The one thing I'm not sure of is whether a commissioner can pause the draft, such as if an owner decides to initiate a trade of the pick while it's running.

Right now we are favoring Friday the 1st or Saturday the 2nd for drafting. Hixalot doesn't know what his work schedule for September will be yet, but I'll tentatively say Saturday the 2nd at 6PM pacific/9pm Eastern. That's the earliest that Hixalot would be available on his current schedule, and hopefully not too late for goons on the east coast, given it's a saturday.

Note that Monday, Sept. 5th is Labor Day.

If anyone definitely can't draft on that date/time, now is a good time to speak up!

I will lock rosters 1 week before the draft day. So right now, that'd mean you can't drop anyone between Saturday, August 27th and the draft; you can drop players during the draft I guess, and after the draft for sure; those players go into the first FAAB waiver cycle which I'll set to begin immediately after the draft.

Obviously we need to work out the details of the practice/taxi squad, which I'll do in the next few days. The dues will be $25 plus your share of the MFL fees (which this year amounts to a few bucks each - I'll look up the exact amount in a bit). I will also do a quick poll on the handful of items that some of you suggested/raised during the last poll. Other than that I think we're starting to look good for the season!

Just for the record, Friday is the 2nd and Saturday is the 3rd. I should be able to make that day and time though, will switch shifts at work if I have to.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Fixed!

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug
Saturday at 9 Eastern works for me

Chen Kenichi
Jul 20, 2001
Are we open for trading now? I've got an itchy trigger finger for making offers!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Let me get your drafting order worked out.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK so. Rule 4.5 details how end-of-season standings affect draft order. Rule 7.2.2 also does that, and they conflict. Rule 7.2.2 is in bold, because at the beginning of last season, I had no idea whether doing a non-snake and then snake draft during the same draft was possible or if we'd stick to it. But, it's possible you guys could have looked at either (or both) rules and that could be a source of confusion.

Here is how the two differ:

quote:

4.5 All remaining teams are ranked based on points scored through the regular season, excluding postseason games.
4.5.1 This ranking determines draft order for the following season’s rookie/free agent draft, in the following way:
4.5.1.1 The first, second, third, and fourth-place teams, and the consolation bracket winner, are seeded into the last five slots of the draft, in reverse order of standings.
4.5.1.2 From the remaining teams, the four teams that scored the lowest amount of points through the regular season are randomly seeded into the first four draft picks.
4.5.1.3 The remaining three teams are randomly seeded into the three remaining slots.

vs.

quote:

7.2.2 Drafting Position is determined by:
7.2.2.1 First four positions are randomly assigned to the worst four teams of the previous season, based on their win/loss record.
7.2.2.1.1 Ties are broken by Points For.
7.2.2.2 Remaining 8 positions are in reverse order of final standings, as determined by the championship and consolation brackets. So the winner of the previous year’s draft picks 12th, the runner-up picks 11th, and so on.

So what is in question is whether the three teams in the "middle" between the lowest-four and the top five should be seeded into the draft in order by final standings including the consolation brackets... or, whether they should be randomized, per 4.5.1.3.

I am in favor of randomization, because "ranking" of those three teams by playoff results is difficult.
The three teams are Team McLean, Hawk Hunters, and Who Da Titoons. Team McLean made it to the consolation bracket championship but lost to Percy Riot... I think that makes him a clear #6. Who Da Titoons lost the first playoff game in week 1 of the playoffs, which if you may recall was the wildcard match - the two highest-seeded teams that didn't win their divisions. The Titoons after losing that match then had byes in weeks 2 and 3 of the playoffs.
The Hawk Hunters won their first consolation tournament match, lost their second, and then won their third.

So which team of the Hunters and the Titoons finished "ahead"?

If I just randomize these three teams, I think that is what I had intended to do, but if anyone feels that wouldn't be fair, speak up please.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I'm fine with it being random

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Randomized gets my vote. Tyler also said randomizing the 3 tiers was a great idea.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
We have 10 days before our draft to get replacements for Kzhak and whoever else hasn't replied.

Should I post in the main thread?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'll do it now. My plan was to give them through the weekend to respond.

Honestly I don't get it. It's fine if you've lost interest in a fantasy football league, but not even replying to repeated emails and PMs? :shrug:

e. posted. I hope we get some good subs in.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 22, 2016

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I need to read through your rules when I get home from work but I want to tentatively put my hat in for one of the teams. Having a hard time picking but I think I'm leaning towards Ray Finkle.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Cool, OK Epi Lepi, you have right of first refusal. :)

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Okay I'm definitely down for this and I'll take Ray Finkle. It's over the cap right now and I think I know what I'm gonna do to get under but how long do I have to drop people? Can I still drop or are rosters locked?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I think you gotta drop. Rosters will be locked for a bit before the draft.

But I dont even know what is going on most days.

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug
I thought we could drop players until this Saturday

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah once I hook you up with the team, you'll have till this saturday to drop players - we'll lock one week before the draft, so everyone will have a non-changing list of the rookies and free agents eligible for the draft.

Please PM me or email me (my user name at gmail dot com) with your email address so I can set you up with the team. Make sure it's the email address you use for MFL, if you already have an MFL account. I'll also need a string to enter as your "Owner Name", which I believe you can later edit, and which does not have to be your actual real name.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Epi Lepi's been added, and I've scheduled the draft in MFL.

Here's the randomized draft order. I'm using this method to randomized the teams: first I assign each of the teams in the group a number. Then I use the Orokus online dice roller to roll a die with that many sides, and the result goes into the top pick. Then I reassign numbers to the remaining teams, and roll a die with that many sides, again the winner goes into the next highest pick. And so on. I'm using Orokus because the results are public, linkable, and auditable. Here are all the rolls.

So: for the first four draft positions, we are randomzing between Placeholders, Cougars, Syndrome, and BRICK.
1: Placeholders, 2: Cougars, 3: Syndrome, 4: BRICK.
first pick: 1: Placeholders, 2: Cougars, 3: Syndrome, 4: BRICK.: 1d4 4
BRICK picks first.

1: Placeholders, 2: Cougars, 3: Syndrome
second pick: 1: Placeholders, 2: Cougars, 3: Syndrome: 1d3 2
Cougars picks second.

1: Placeholders, 2: Syndrome
third pick: 1: Placeholders, 2: Syndrome: 1d2 1
Placeholders pick third.
Syndrome picks fourth.

Next we have the three "middle" teams: the Titoons, Hunters, and McLean.
1. Titoons, 2: Hunters, 3: Mclean
fourth pick: 1. Titoons, 2: Hunters, 3: Mclean: 1d3 1
Titoons pick fifth. (I meant to write fifth there in the description).

1: Hunters, 2: McLean
sixth pick: 1: Hunters, 2: McLean: 1d2 1
Hunters pick sixth.
McLean picks seventh.

And then the remaining five picks are in reverse order of the final standings:
#8 Percy Riot (consolation bracket championship winner kazak_Hstan)
#9 Gridiron Chefs (Chen Kenichi)
#10 Concord Concordes (Leperflesh)
#11 Former Kicker Ray Finkle (Gyshall)
#12 Ash Ketchum Gotta catch em (Swarmin Swedes)

We will draft in this order for the first two rounds, and then the order will reverse in round 3, and proceed as a snake.

Placeholder Team Name is now called I'm Pretty Garbage At This.

Note that the Gridiron Chefs previously traded away their first-round pick to Placeholders I'm Pretty Garbage at This, so Garbage will have both the 3rd and 9th picks in the first round.

Please hold off on making trades until I have a new owner for Percy Riot! It's not fair to engage in trade negotiations before every owner has the opportunity to participate. Also please peer pressure your friends, family, relatives, and especially other goons to take over Percy Riot, because we need a replacement sooner rather than later. Obviously if you get a non-goon to take over the team, you'll need to get them an account on SA so they can participate in this thread, too.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

Syndrome picks fourth.

gently caress.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
I've logged in and made a couple waiver drops and IR moves, still over cap but I will be below it by Saturday. Does it mess anything up for your planning if I change the team name? Thinking Second Round Kickers in honor of my very very dumb team.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm implementing a number of changes in MFL settings in order to get our draft and teams set up correctly.

• I've officially scheduled the draft.
  • I'm currently entering the draft order manually. MFL allows me to put teams in multiple times or not at all in a given draft round, which supports the ability to trade draft picks prior to the draft.
  • I do not see any settings to allow or disallow draft pick trades during the draft. I suspect MFL doesn't directly support it. It may be possible for me to pause the draft midway and then reassign pick order at that point, but I'm not sure. If this doesn't work reasonably well, we may have to abandon the ability to trade picks during the draft.
  • I have set the autodraft using a setting that says: when the timer expires, " Allow the system to automatically pick a player for the owner based on the highest-ranked available player on the owner's "My Draft List" player rankings, otherwise, skip the pick. The league commissioner may then use the For Commissioners > Setup > Draft Setup > Change Draft Pick option to pick the appropriate player at the appropriate time to compensate for the skipped pick, if league rules permit it." This means if you want to skip a pick, you need to have your My Draft List be empty! I don't know if the client includes a "skip my pick" button but I doubt it.
  • I'm setting up the draft initially to have 12 rounds. I really don't think we'll need that many. We will need at most, a number of rounds equal to the maximum number of empty slots on any team, plus the number of players that team owner trades away during the draft, minus the number of extra picks they have during draft rounds. I'm guessing that number won't exceed 12. Actually I think 8 or so will be more than enough. If anyone thinks they'll need more than 12 rounds please let me know before the draft starts!
  • I've set the draft timer to two minutes. A shorter timer makes the draft go faster... but I'd prefer a longer timer to allow players to attempt trades, plus to allow me to do any necessary bookkeeping.
  • There's no way for me to set player salaries during the draft, as they get picked. I will prepare before the draft by making note of every team's salary and cap space. During the draft, either I'll have to do some quick bookkeeping, or in theory any owner might accidentally (or intentionally) bust their cap. The thing is, you can draft onto your IR, and it looks like we'll have taxi squads which don't affect your cap space, so... yeah, that needs to be OK. Consequently I think we'll need to have some sort of clearcut process to follow if, after the draft, any owner has bust their cap even after moving eligible players onto taxi squads and IR.
  • If we go 12 rounds of 12 picks each at a full 2 minutes per pick, that's 288 minutes, or nearly five hours. For god's sake let's not do that. If anyone starts using up their whole 2 minutes for every pick, I may have to reduce the timer. Fortunately I can set any team to start autopicking if they are failing to make picks before the timer runs out... but I'd much rather not do that in case the owner didn't want to draft a player at that spot at all. Instead hopefully if you don't want to draft at a given spot you can announce that in chat and hopefully I can then advance the clock immediately. Not having commissioned a draft before on MFL, I really just have no idea.
  • You can now set keepers. You must set any player you want to keep as a keeper, or I believe the system will dump them before the draft. I have set the system to allow from zero to 25 keepers, but I'll increase the number once I set up taxi squads. Please take special care to ensure that every player still on your roster after this Saturday is set as a keeper. I will post additional reminders.

Also:
Dues are due! According to the rules all dues need to be paid by one week before the draft. That's this Saturday. Please paypal me the following amounts of money, and Do not put anything in the comments that remotely suggest the money is for fantasy football! Collecting fantasy football dues is expressly forbidden by Paypal's terms of service. Instead please label the money as a gift and put something innocuous in the comment field.

Paypal can be sent to my gmail address: my user name at gmail dot com. My paypal account is also registered under another email address, so you might see that address on your paypal receipt?

I think I have all your real names but just in case, it wouldn't hurt to put your SA username into the comment field. Definitely do this if you're using a paypal account that doesn't have your real name or a name I'd recognize on it.

Metapod, Stevie Lee, Hixalot, Epi Lepi, The Zack, Spermy Smurf, and atomictyler: you each owe $27.92. That's $25 dues plus your $2.92 share of this year's MFL fees.
Chen Kenichi and Bloody, you each owe $2.92. Just the MFL fees, since you previously paid your 2016 dues in advance in order to execute a draft pick trade.
Swarmin Swedes, you owe $7.92. I withheld $20 from your 2015 winnings (should have been $25 but I had a brain fart about it) so you only owe the remainder.
I have paid myself so owe nothing. Whoever takes over Kazak_Hstan's team will also owe $27.92.

You can review the dues and payment history on the spreadsheet's "2016 Budget" tab.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Epi Lepi posted:

I've logged in and made a couple waiver drops and IR moves, still over cap but I will be below it by Saturday. Does it mess anything up for your planning if I change the team name? Thinking Second Round Kickers in honor of my very very dumb team.

You can change your team name at any time. I just have to change it in two places in the spreadsheets, so it's not a big deal. Just let me know when you do it so I notice.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've confirmed via testing that I can click "skip" and it'll skip the current draft pick, at any time. So during the live draft, if you decide you don't want to pick at a given spot, say so in chat and I'll immediately skip you.

In case it isn't clear, you would skip a pick in order to avoid being forced to draft a player at a higher salary than you want.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
How do we set keepers? I legit can't find it.

This website doesn't make any sense to me sometimes. You would think that keepers would be a function of MY ROSTER, or possibly MY TEAM.

Maybe I'm just blind.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Resolving some more league business. Thanks again to Spermy Smurf for assembling the poll data.

Spermy Smurf posted:

1.a Manually draft, following the rules as stated
1.b Use MFL's draft software, but switch to 100% snake or 100% assigned draft order?
(See rules 7.2, 7.8)

5 Manually draft, following the rules as stated

We will be able to use MFL's draft software and preserve the rules as stated, so this question is now moot.

quote:

2. Are you OK with the current salary assignments for players drafted in the rookie/free agent draft?
(See rule 7.3)
2 Yes
1 I would like to see all rounds 2+ to be 12, 8, 4, 2, 2, 2.... respectively instead of what they are currently set at. This is to make our salary cap be more of a factor in the far future. Also adding to this thought is...
2 Maybe a bit lower, but OK either way

I'm also OK with the current salaries, so the status quo prevails here. This year can be a test: if we decide during the year that these salaries were bad, we can try adjusting them for next year.
De-bolded Rule 7.3 and its subrules:
The first four picks in the first round are paid $20
The fifth through eighth picks are paid $18
The ninth through twelfth picks are paid $16
All players drafted in the second round are paid $8
All players drafted in the third round are paid $4
All players drafted in the fourth round are paid $2
All remaining drafted players (fifth and later rounds) are paid $1

quote:

3. Should we go ahead and have taxi squads?
(See rules 7.4, 7.5, 8.2.2, 8.4.1, and especially rule 9)
3 Yes
2 No

4. If we have taxi squads, should we create rules for stealing players off of other team's taxi squads?
(See rule 9.5). Basically the way this works is, you can grab a player off another team's taxi squad if you promote them to your regular bench, but they can prevent it by promoting that player to their own bench. If you use this rule, you also need to revise rule 9.1 to say that rookies on a bench can't be moved back to a taxi squad.)

1 No
5 Yes

5. If we have taxi squads, how many slots should they have?
3 votes for 3
Fewer the better
Whatever is typical

Taxi Squads remain a little contentious. I'm interested in trying them out, so with my vote we have a solid "yes". We have strong support for creating rules for stealing taxi squad players. The consensus for taxi squad size seems to be 3.

MFL's support for taxi squads is described here. Stealing isn't a supported feature, so I'll need to manage it manually. I think that's OK, I doubt it will be a super-frequent thing. Probably what we'll do is define a specific process, along with deadlines in a given week for completing it, and any commissioner will have the power to complete the process as needed: that should ensure it happens in a timely manner.

quote:

6. Should we change the fees and prize payouts of the league this year? It's currently $25 dues, with prize payouts to first, second, and third places, plus the winner of the consolation bracket.
(See rule 2)
3 Bump up dues to fill in for MFL league costs, dont think that is included in the 25$.
Dont care
Most Points for should get something

Status quo prevails. I'm including the MFL fees in the dues. Suggestion for the "most points for" getting a prize is interesting: I suppose it'd be exclusive of the other prizes (so you can't win it along with another prize)? If so, then in some years it might not get paid. If it's not exclusive, then I suspect in many years, one of the other prize-winners would also win the most-points-for prize. We could have it go to the team with the most points-for, that didn't win another prize...

How much should it be? Which of the other prizes should the money be extracted from? Flesh out this idea and I'll put it to a vote.

quote:

7. Are you OK with the current scoring?
(See rule 5)
2 Yeah, only thing to do might be knock tackles down from 1.5 to 1.25 to make defensive players worth less. I am against this because my defense is the only good thing about my team.
3 Fine as is

The request to knock tackles down a bit only got two votes, which is a small minority of all voters. I'm not super bothered by it. I think in this case, inertia prevails, it seems most of the owners don't care enough to request a change.

quote:

8. When should we unlock rosters, permitting players to be dropped? Note that all dropped players become eligible for the free agent/rookie draft.

Once we have all players signed up and logged in and actually active in the thread. Or a week before the draft, whichever.
Third preseason game completed
Should lock it for a week before draft day
2 Drop anytime, lock a week before draft
We're already doing this, and it's in accordance with our written rules, so that's fine.

quote:

9. When should we do the rookie/free agent draft?
We've scheduled that.

quote:

10. How long should we wait to see if Kazak_Hstan is still alive before we replace him?
Contact him with any and all forms that you have... paypal email differ from signup email? PMs? Then give it a week I guess? He still is owed money, so I have no idea why he would drop off.
3 ASAP
Week 2 of preseason

Doing this now, per all voters: As soon as I could, and also it's week 2 of the preseason. :shrug:

quote:

11. Do you want to reorganize the three divisions? If so, what scheme do you propose?
(See rule 3.4.3)
Same divisions, I want to see the ebb and flow over the course of time.
4 It's fine

Divisions remain as they are.

quote:

12. Any other league rules or procedures you want to change?

3 Nope.
Amend FAAB about dropping and adding a player within 24hrs like Metapod did with Luck
actually, I'd like to propose we change the rule that owners don't have to fill roster spots with "owners must fill all roster spots"

Both of these ideas merit further discussion and, if need be, a vote. I'm particularly interested in why we should require all roster spots to be filled? Is there some possible advantage to be had by carrying an empty bench slot or two?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think I got the lineup setup right now. Draft order is set up through 12 rounds. Working on the game schedule next.

For the game schedule, as you may recall: you play the other three teams in your division twice each (six games total), and then of the remaining 8 teams, you play seven of them once each. So, each regular season, there's one team you never play.

My intent is to rotate that on a 8-year rotation such that every 8 years, you play every non-division team seven times.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
We might have someone that will take the last dynasty spot.

Tyler messaged him, waiting to hear back. We have all played a league together for 6 or 7 years. He is good, wont abandon ship.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

You are good commissioners

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Yep, Vecna said he would do it.

I am on mobile, will get his info tomorrow.

If Tyler shows up here he can post it. Will get a forums account too.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
How do I keep my players

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If Vecna is named after the famous god-liche, he'll fit right in!

Meanwhile; after thrashing around uselessly in the spreadsheet for a while, I realized there was a much easier way, and got the 2016 schedule set up. It's on a new tab on the spreadsheet, and you can see the schedule in the league on MFL here. I did myself a favor and left myself notes on how to make the schedule more easily for next year, too.

I don't intend to try to keep the team tabs up to date in the spreadsheet, by the way. We should be able to track cap, trades, and other stuff via MFL - that's part of why we moved to MFL. I'm loathe to delete anything, this is the record of our first year, but probably what I'll do is shove to the back all the stuff in the spreadsheet that we won't need going forward, so it's out of the way. Or something.

Meanwhile let's formalize the taxi squad business.

I propose the following rules for the taxi squads:

1. Per MFL: there will be taxi squads for each team, consisting of 3 slots. You can put NFL rookies or non-rookies into any slot.
  2. Per our own league-rule, you can only put a non-rookie onto your practice squad if that player has never been included as a starter by any league team/owner, this year or in any prior year.
  3. Per MFL, players on your taxi squad do not cost any money towards your cap. Salary info for them is based on draft position or FAAB paid. Traded players retain their salaries as normal.
  4. At any time you can promote players off your taxi squad and onto your bench. Doing so only affects your cap, which you have to stay under.
  5. HOWEVER, once you "start" a player - that is, put them in a starting position that then becomes locked because the game that player's team has hit its scheduled start, that player has been "started" and is forever ineligible to be placed on a taxi squad. Note that this is the case even if in real life that player does not play in that game, and irrespective of that player's in-real-life status... e.g., a player on a real NFL practice squad that you "start" still counts as being started, because you are an idiot and deserve what happens to you if you do this.
  6. At any time up to 72 hours (just a feels-right guess at a good amount of time) before a player's team is scheduled to play, you can attempt to steal that player from another owner's practice squad. For example, if the player is on the Tennesee Titans, and they have a Thursday night game this week, you can try to steal the player no later than Monday night, 72 hours before the TNG begins.
  7. You attempt to steal a player by posting in this thread, as well as sending messages via the MFL interface to both the owner of the player, and all three commissioners.
  8. The owner of the player then has up to 48 hours to block your steal attempt. The only way to block a steal attempt is to commit to starting that player in his next NFL game. That means you must promote the player - dropping players as necessary to make roster space and/or cap space - and then put that player into a starting spot and leave him there until his game locks.
  9. Exception: if, after a steal attempt is initiated, the player being stolen is injured (reported as questionable, doubtful, out, placed on IR), suspended (placed on S), or dropped to waivers/free agency by their owning NFL team, either player may back out and restore the status quo. That means the stealing player can cancel their steal attempt - the player stays with the original owner. An owner who already initiated the blockage of a steal by rostering the player may back out of their block, permitting the other owner to steal the player (if they still want to). And, the player remains eligible to return to a practice squad (or, if applicable, IR), according to the owner's desire.
  10. Once the player becomes locked into a game, none of this stuff applies... it's just like any other NFL man who fucks you over with his failure during a game. You can't put him back on a practice squad.
  11. All of the above notwithstanding, players are added to practice squads in the normal way, by moving them from your bench (if eligible), trading for them, picking them up off of waivers via FAAB, or drafting them during the rookie/free agent draft. You are permitted to transit a player via your bench to your taxi squad and not bust your cap in the process, if the MFL software won't let you move the player directly to your squad from wherever you got him.

Please Vote if you think this is fine, or speak up if you think anything needs to change. I picked 72 hours so that the owning player would have two days to respond, but that might not be enough - if someone is on vacation, away for a long weekend, etc. they shouldn't be able to have their taxi squad guy stolen without the chance to respond. I definitely don't think a shorter period is OK, given the issue here. We could extend it to something longer like five days or a full week if you guys want.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Metapod posted:

How do I keep my players

That is a drat good question.

This seems to be the answer:

quote:

How do I set up a keeper league in my first year with MFL?
Answer: Go to the For Commissioners > Setup > Players and Rosters > Load/Unload Rosters page, and indicate what players initially should be put on what rosters for each franchise.? This will make those players un-draftable for your 2016 league.

If you are a Dynasty League then you are all set once you have loaded the rosters for each team. If you are a keeper league and wish to select specific keepers each season you will want to view the detailed information in the Help > Help Center - Commissioner Tutorials: Commissioner Tutorials > How do I set up a keeper/dynasty league draft on MyFantasyLeague.com?

NOTE: One common question we get about keeper league drafts on the site is "What happens to the players currently on rosters when a draft starts?" The short answer to that question is "nothing" – the system will see that those players are currently on rosters (and simply leave them on the rosters), and thus make them un-draftable to other owners in your league.

In other words I was wrong, you don't need to set up keepers. Any players you don't drop, should be kept automatically. Assuming I've set up the dynasty league properly, which I will try to verify.

e. I found this tutorial which said I had to set up a specific "specify your keepers" event, so I have done that. It runs from 15 minutes from now, until midnight Saturday night. Let me know if you think that won't be enough time.

quote:

During this time, owners may go to the Reports > Franchise > Keepers page to declare their keepers. At the end of the Keeper event, owners will be able to see all selected keepers by all owners on this page.
Then, as commissioner, you will need to process these keepers once the event is complete by going to the Setup Select Keepers . The screen will display the players selected by each owner. As commissioner you will simply process these keeper requests for your owners. Any players not selected will be dropped from the roster.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
So with Taxi squads the player must move from the squad to a STARTING position. Not just on the bench, but a legit point-scoring start?

What if someone just really wants someone from another squad but they arent going to play? Just go for it, the penalty is that they waste a spot in their lineup?