Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
White Coke
May 29, 2015
I'm guessing "The Riches of Paradise" will turn out to be a fungus that controls peoples' brains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Somebody bought me a thing. I hardly recognize myself.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
Oh what the!! Me too!!

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
RIP Wonder-Raiden

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Squarely Circle posted:

RIP Wonder-Raiden

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

It was a good avatar. :smith:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Come to think of it, Uncharted 1 had the same sort of twist early on with Sully dying and Drake having to leave him behind.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Scaramouche posted:

Just freakin criminal they used all that old art from the previous games and couldn't fit in The Faces of Victor Sullivan?????
UC3 also seemed to get jobbed out, they didn't even use the best set piece from that game!!

Fuzz1138
Feb 3, 2013

We don't have to dream that we're important. We are.

Squarely Circle posted:

RIP Wonder-Raiden

Also I'm curious, have you been playing that Uncharted: Fortune Hunter mobile game for that handful of unlockables? I don't actually own Uncharted 4 myself but I've been playing the app a bit anyway since it's a decent enough diversion on its own.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Games > Let's Play! > Let's Play Uncharted 4: IT'S SO PRETTY

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

General Ironicus posted:

Somebody bought me a thing. I hardly recognize myself.

Chip Cheezum posted:

Oh what the!! Me too!!

:swoon:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's about right that the best of Uncharted! intro scene has basically no Uncharted 3.

but it barely has any Sully so it's bad.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I guess Drake never mentioned his brother for the first three games because he got killed in a Panamanian prison, huh.

A fun fact about this game is that the camera mode gives you loads of options for removing specific types of NPCs, like playable characters, allies, enemies etc, and it can actually spoil stuff like if someone's going to die, or stab you in the back, or be your friend later, depending on what class of NPC the camera puts them in.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Those are neat. Is that Venture Bros version of Nate and Sully?

Rirse fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Aug 13, 2016

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

I wish I remembered any of my Saint Dismas facts to share with the thread but apart from being the only person Jesus specifically told would join him in paradise I can't remember anything.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

I'm predicting that Sam is going to show up later and show Drake a bullet-riddled dictionary that he kept on his back

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

SlothfulCobra posted:

Come to think of it, Uncharted 1 had the same sort of twist early on with Sully dying and Drake having to leave him behind.

Oddly enough Drake and Sully had their personalities kinda switched. Drake was the cautious one willing to back out while Sully was this person who kept getting into risky debts.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Rirse posted:

Those are neat. Is that Venture Bros version of Nate and Sully?

It's HelloWinter's fanart, but the colorized version she made later

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal

MrWillsauce posted:

I'm predicting that Sam is going to show up later and show Drake a bullet-riddled dictionary that he kept on his back

It wasn't even necessarily a Deadly bullet wound - considering Babyface Nate here, there's a very good chance that this chapter takes place chronologically before UC1, so Sam's just going to heal over the passage of time. It would explain why Drake never talks about his brother - he feels guilty about Sam's 'death' - and it's also a form of storytelling they haven't exactly done before, so it keeps it interesting.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.

Red Bones posted:

I guess Drake never mentioned his brother for the first three games because he got killed in a Panamanian prison, huh.

Or that, in the third game, Drake didn't tell Sully about his brother because he knew his brother would die in the future.

The inclusion, and then sudden death of Sam, is not a good idea and makes little sense within the context of the series.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
There is no reason for Sam to be Nates brother instead of a really good friend he grew up with other than trying to "top" your last story (and really ruining a lot of the previous ones because now there's scenes that simply don't make any sense). I understand why stuff like that would make a writer upset.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 13, 2016

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

MrWillsauce posted:

He was coughing up blood almost immediately and his shirt was more than a bit soaked with red in the glimpse of it you see during the fall. Maybe caught the bottom of his lung or something. If this weren't a videogame, I would peg Sam as pretty goddamn dead, either from the fall making things even worse, blood loss, or just plain drowning in his own vital fluids.

But since it is a videogame, I'm sure they rushed him to the prison hospital immediately, where they had a former star surgeon on call who stitched up his insides before any serious damage could be done. After all, he was just an accomplice to the warden's murder not ten minutes ago, so you can't just let him die as a means of revenge...right?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The cutscene could be unreliable narrator style and Nate remembers Sam getting shot up a lot worse then he actually did! Not like Nate was thinking clearly afterwards.

Like he only got a grazing shot to the side or the shoulder or something and the blood from his mouth was just from getting punched at some point. But Nate playing it back in his mind over the years has embellished it.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Aug 13, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I despise when things do the thing they did with Sam here, in all honesty. Not the being shot thing, the "incredibly important family member who suddenly exists" thing. It's never smart, well written or interesting. It always comes across as something they decided well after the fact, which is probably because that's always the case. There's not much reason why you couldn't have had Sam be a family friend or acquaintance of some import.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah it does seem a bit forced. "Guy I grew up at an orphanage with until he ran away, jerk was like a brother to me and he left me!" would work just as well.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
is there some reason Sam's existence doesn't make sense other than goons not liking it? like he's not my favourite character in the series, but having your brother get shot in a prison and presumably die as far as you know seems like a perfectly reasonable excuse to have not mentioned him at all after it happened, so I can't think of a scene in the first three games that it "ruins"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

morallyobjected posted:

is there some reason Sam's existence doesn't make sense other than goons not liking it? like he's not my favourite character in the series, but having your brother get shot in a prison and presumably die as far as you know seems like a perfectly reasonable excuse to have not mentioned him at all after it happened, so I can't think of a scene in the first three games that it "ruins"

His existing and teaching Drake the incredible usefulness of grappling hooks only for him to then never use them again.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Plus the young drake sequences in 3.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Uncharted 4 DLC: If you thought Drake's brother was out of left field, wait until we introduce HIS SISTER

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

RareAcumen posted:

His existing and teaching Drake the incredible usefulness of grappling hooks only for him to then never use them again.
There's an MGS CQC joke somewhere in here.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Uncharted 4 DLC: If you thought Drake's brother was out of left field, wait until we introduce HIS SISTER
HIS CLONE

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

DatonKallandor posted:

Plus the young drake sequences in 3.

don't those happen after he leaves the orphanage? we don't really know much about what happens in between then and when they meet up later, and there's no real reason to think they had to be together all that time.

the grappling hook thing is minor at best, too, since there are plenty of times either it'd make no sense for him to have brought one or he ends up having to leave all his equipment behind anyway (see everything after the plane crash in 1, for example)

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

DatonKallandor posted:

There is no reason for Sam to be Nates brother instead of a really good friend he grew up with other than trying to "top" your last story (and really ruining a lot of the previous ones because now there's scenes that simply don't make any sense). I understand why stuff like that would make a writer upset.
Wasn't Amy's original idea to make Sam judging by how he narrates the first teaser for UC4?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SnJPTkrD7o

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

morallyobjected posted:

I think it's mostly because, despite this being the fourth game in the series, this is the first time there has ever been any mention of him. It's especially egregious because the last game had a short section dealing with Nate when he was young (I want to say maybe 13 or 14), and he looked to be living alone and probably on the streets.

Sam also looks to be taking the role usually played by Sully, i.e. older, mentor-type figure who helps Nate out in his adventures. The players know Sully, because he's been in every game so far.

Though Sam might be more accepted if Sully had gotten killed off in the last game, which I'm 95% sure was the initial plan, but I guess that didn't go over well with testers or something.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
HIS FATHER BROTHER'S NEPHEW'S COUSIN'S FORMER ROOMMATE

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Apep727 posted:

Though Sam might be more accepted if Sully had gotten killed off in the last game, which I'm 95% sure was the initial plan, but I guess that didn't go over well with testers or something.

They've pretended to kill Sully in every game thus far.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

morallyobjected posted:

I haven't played A Thief's End, but I did play the other three and something like "brother who inspired him to go into fortune hunting and then died in front of him" feels like it should have had more of a presence in them. It doesn't "ruin" anything outside of the one line in Drake's Fortune about being in a Panamanian jail (which now seems incredibly callous), but it does feel like an obvious rear end-pull.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Could had a line in the last game when Marlowe was reading off Nate's history (which has several things mentioned in this game) about a deceased brother.

Behotti
Apr 30, 2008
Fun Shoe
Popping in to say, just caught up on the previous 3 LPs and I am so excited for this! Going back to watch those 3 (binge watch in a VERY short amount of time) was a great decision. If anyone hasn't, do it now. Keep up the good work gents!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

morallyobjected posted:

The reasons stated previously were all a lot stronger than "I just don't like this," so I don't know why you framed it like that.

It does not make sense within the timeline of the game, and events we the player actually saw. I have not played this game, but from what I gather I am going to wind up enjoying the further misadventures of Sam and Drake, and I like the way they work together and play off of one another, but that doesn't mean I can't also go "hey wait a minute, that doesn't add up."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

fool_of_sound posted:

They've pretended to kill Sully in every game thus far.

Not in 2, but he was barely in 2 to begin with.

• Locked thread