Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004
Well, seems like this only popped up today, but a number of preview pages for Lancers were just posted on the DFO Global site that confirms their arrival for the Aug 23rd update.

http://www.dfoneople.com/news/updates/New-Character-Demonic-Lancer

CRACK IS OVER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Hey, that's cool. Both the class advancements look really similar to me, though.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Yeah, skirmisher looks like smaller but faster, whereas vanguard looks to be the same sort of skills only larger and more powerful.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Anonymous Robot posted:

Hey, that's cool. Both the class advancements look really similar to me, though.

Yes lancer is super boring imo. Apparently he was made to appeal to Chinese players and is huge there though???

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Spears are underrepresented in video games but that class just doesn't look up to snuff with DFO's other offerings in terms of doing unique and characteristic things with their classes.

Raruna
Mar 30, 2010
So it wasn't just me who tought this dude looked mad boring. I just hope he gets more creative classes later.

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness
I'm looking forward to it tbqh.

In terms of things that'll never happen, seeing a final fantasy xi style dragoon with jumps and a pet as a subclass would excite me, probably sexually.

DFlux
Apr 25, 2008

OneDeadlyBum posted:

I'm looking forward to it tbqh.

In terms of things that'll never happen, seeing a final fantasy xi style dragoon with jumps and a pet as a subclass would excite me, probably sexually.

Knight's Dragon Knight might be something like that, but who knows when Neople will get around to doing the other Knight subclasses.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Yeah lances are rad but that did not look rad at all :(

Need to figure out what to make this weekend to use that legendary growing weapon after my m mech eventually runs out of FP, since he's already got the returnee stuff. Fun how long you can go on one character with all the free handouts and level up packages, though.

Cute n Popular
Oct 12, 2012
Kill Joe's Spirit Sword's effect counts as smash right?

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Cute n Popular posted:

Kill Joe's Spirit Sword's effect counts as smash right?

Looks like elenore to me, since the extra damage doesn't have the non-stack clause.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

It's elenore.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Oh my, you guys kicked me from the guild? I said I'd be back after buying a new GPU -- let's just say that was a marvelous adventure spanning multiple months (I actually got distracted by pretty games running prettily on strong hardware).

Is there some way to link an existing account to Steam? As it stands, whenever I boot the game from Steam I have to log out and then back in with my old credentials.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Heavy neutrino posted:

Oh my, you guys kicked me from the guild? I said I'd be back after buying a new GPU -- let's just say that was a marvelous adventure spanning multiple months (I actually got distracted by pretty games running prettily on strong hardware).

Is there some way to link an existing account to Steam? As it stands, whenever I boot the game from Steam I have to log out and then back in with my old credentials.

Far as I'm aware you cannot, launching it through steam basically just automatically creates an account for you and logs you in to said account, you can't get any of the steam deals on previously existing accounts.

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
No account transfers to steam, you gotta use the normal launcher or create a new account to get a steam one.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Heavy neutrino posted:

If you're Neut's you've been gone literally 7 months! You could have walked to Africa to buy a GPU in that time! And no you can't link accounts to Steam atm.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Heavy neutrino posted:

Apply again on all your dudes (all of them, we have the space; just mention your forums name) and you'll be accepted back in rapidly. But yeah we had to purge some folks back before the guild update to save space. This is no longer an issue with our expanded member caps.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
What if it turns out he has 200 dudes? Checkmate Balloon, you lose again :smug:

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

We have about 250 open slots.

also I'm kicking everyone out of the guild to make room for pubbie reddit weebs, good luck nerds

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Psh, recruit exclusively from the steam forums if you want REAL players.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Nighthand posted:

Psh, recruit exclusively from the steam forums if you want REAL players.

nah i really want to bolster the guild's racist pedophile demographic lest we become too homogenized

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
with this on steam now i'm really thinking of getting a controller. does it make much difference?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

verbal enema posted:

with this on steam now i'm really thinking of getting a controller. does it make much difference?

I think the game is way more fun on a controller, though for a small number of classes it may be hard to keep up with their fast combos with manual inputs. You do get a small amount of cooldown reduction for using manual inputs, which is nice.

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
I tried using a controller at first but after a while I found I could be a lot more precise with the keyboard, I think the game is really designed around it. Though this from PvP experience, a controller wont be an issue for PvE content.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
It's definitely designed to be around keyboard because that's how it was originally. But as others said, as long as you're not trying to attempt PvP you'll be fine with a gamepad.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I tried playing this for a while on keyboard yesterday and even with the sheer simplicity of m mech so far (mash A and S and the odd W and Q at 43, mostly) moving (and especially dashing via double tap) just felt horribly awkward compared to controller

The shenanigans needed to map skill hotkeys on controller have their own learning curve though I guess, so :shrug:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Also the amount I'm digging M Mech makes me want to try other 'hands-off' classes but I've heard Summoner has very irritating AI issues and Chaos looks more like a melee class with extra goobers?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

The chaos summons kill just about everything as you walk by up until like 70, when you can start using actual skills as well if you want, but they don't go out and hunt things down.

Summoner has AI issues until you get some of the aggro-increasing things like lasher/mark and zealous creature, but it's still fairly fire and forget. It becomes a lot more active once you get your 2wake and get eclipse hive, which gives your tier 2s and dudes like louise/echeverria/lamos active skills you can use.

I'd say it's only really "hands off" in the mid range levels. Early on you either are waiting forever for the AI or you're helping with your own skills, and later on you're constantly wrangling buffs and hive skills, marking targets, etc.

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

O brain new world, that has such ganglia in't!
So lore-wise (hahaha lore), demonic lancer is basically just slayer with a demonic pointed stick instead of a demonic arm, right?

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Can someone tell me about Sword Master's elements? I'm still leveling so it's probably not a huge deal, but right now I'm just using light to poo poo electricity everywhere.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Zelmel posted:

So lore-wise (hahaha lore), demonic lancer is basically just slayer with a demonic pointed stick instead of a demonic arm, right?

I think, I think, the difference is that Slayer's Kazan Syndrome/Ghost Arm slowly possesses you and turns you into a monster (a berserker, in other words) until you die an inevitably gory death, whereas with the Demonic Lance you either feed it power/blood/other Lances/whatever, battle related stuff, or it straight up kills you. They both are lovely things to have. Being males in DFO suck.

Cute n Popular
Oct 12, 2012

DoubleDonut posted:

Can someone tell me about Sword Master's elements? I'm still leveling so it's probably not a huge deal, but right now I'm just using light to poo poo electricity everywhere.

Teresa wrote a great guide on SM with a pretty detailed section on elements.

http://www.dfonexus.com/threads/gloria-the-sm-guide.12591/

quote:

Elemental Shift

The skill that makes swordmaster a swordmaster. It changes your sword to one of the four elements (two elements if you are a SS user). It is a skill that does damage when you use basic attack (X attack) or imperial swordsmanship (if SS or katana user). This skill is also required for the use of two skills, magic sword medley and unleash). The range of your weapon also changes depending on what elemental shift you use. Water = shadow > light > fire in terms of weapon range.

Magic Sword Medley

One of swordmaster’s main skills and only usable if you have the elemental shift buff on. Depending on your elemental shift type, different attacks with different effects will be activated when you use a skill. SS users make the most out of this skill due to the lowered cooldown from the mastery. This is a passive skill so you just need to max it and not worry about it. Increasing its level will increase the chance of it activating. In terms of damage, water = light > fire = shadow. Water is easier to aim which is why is the most preferred element for medley.

Cute n Popular fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 13, 2016

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

DoubleDonut posted:

In terms of usefulness, Water > Light > Fire/Dark. EleShift is overall kind of whatever, but Medley's where it's at. Water is good because its aiming is fairly generous, and can possibly hit a bunch of things, as well as Freeze being a very useful status. It also deals the most damage. Light is next to it for its damage, but the hammer aim is a bit terrible. Fire and Dark are last because of their damage, but they have one good thing in common: they don't have to bother with aim and they just happen. Shadow is worse off because its EleShift is rear end.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Great, thanks. It definitely seemed like water and light were doing more damage but I wasn't quite sure.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
After giving it some thought, is there any reason I shouldn't use the event accessory box to grab a Great Glory necklace for my Asura instead of something for my monk since King's Ruin is way the hell more tedious than Noire?

Somefool
Feb 17, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

After giving it some thought, is there any reason I shouldn't use the event accessory box to grab a Great Glory necklace for my Asura instead of something for my monk since King's Ruin is way the hell more tedious than Noire?

Why aren't you farming for the entire anton accessory set? :colbert:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Am I able to just keep playing the quests that move me through the world? Or do I need do start looking around for other stuff I missed like WoW or Knight Online

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

verbal enema posted:

Am I able to just keep playing the quests that move me through the world? Or do I need do start looking around for other stuff I missed like WoW or Knight Online

You can pretty much follow the story mode to the end.

Edit: you can try for titles if you want, filling out title book pages often gives stat bonuses but trying for all of them will drive you insane. Speaking from experience. Many are easy though.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

verbal enema posted:

You MIGHT run out of story mode quests periodically, but it's pretty uncommon, and you generally only need to do a few extra quests to unlock the next set. Generally, the big gaps are 83->85, and the second half of 85->86.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

fool_of_sound posted:

You MIGHT run out of story mode quests periodically, but it's pretty uncommon, and you generally only need to do a few extra quests to unlock the next set. Generally, the big gaps are 83->85, and the second half of 85->86.

Anonymous Robot posted:

You can pretty much follow the story mode to the end.

Edit: you can try for titles if you want, filling out title book pages often gives stat bonuses but trying for all of them will drive you insane. Speaking from experience. Many are easy though.

nice i'm level 26 rn so i didnt know if there was like in WoW where u could travel across the world to some obscure area to do some quests