Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

EvilElmo posted:

Greens policy on this issue is so successful, they lost ground at this election.

Oh.

how does it feel to be a systematic torture and rape apologist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Recoome posted:

how does it feel to be a systematic torture and rape apologist?
NTAEE

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

starkebn posted:

It's there an article someone can point me too that discusses why each state has 12 senators and what the pro and con arguments are? It's not an intuitive way for the system to be set up.

As GPD said, the senate is intended as the States' house. Smaller colonies like Tasmania were given equal representation in the senate to ensure they would not be easily railroaded by whatever policies the more populous colonies wanted. Without that they probably wouldn't have federated.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Tasmania should have more Senators, tbh.

WA should have half a senator.

NSW should have none.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

ZombyDog posted:

Oh no, policy that isn't raping children in offshore hellholes isn't popular with the electorate, we should abandon it in favour of more child raping because that's where the votes are.

Wait, in earlier threads posters in here kept saying how popular Greens policies were when you actually talked to people about them. This included offshore detention. Because as mentioned earlier, it seems the only thing these threads talk about. That and making poo poo up/reposting some unfounded claim on twitter as fact then getting all riled up about it.

So, is the Greens policy on offshore detention popular with the electorate or have posters finally accepted reality?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

EvilElmo posted:

Wait, in earlier threads posters in here kept saying how popular Greens policies were when you actually talked to people about them. This included offshore detention. Because as mentioned earlier, it seems the only thing these threads talk about. That and making poo poo up/reposting some unfounded claim on twitter as fact then getting all riled up about it.

So, is the Greens policy on offshore detention popular with the electorate or have posters finally accepted reality?

Are you seriously equating how popular a policy is with how good it is??

Like seriously I bet the Final Solution to the Jewish Question was pretty popular back in the '30s in a little country you may have heard of.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Like this is prob going to sound weird to someone who is a die-hard ALP supporter but some times people have these things called "ethics" and "principles", which are kind of like self-imposed guidelines which inform behaviour and positions towards things. These may not be popular or translate into nice little soundbites but basically, in this case, people are opposing systematic torture of refugees and First Australians because it goes against ethics and principles of human equality and justice.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Recoome posted:

Like seriously I bet the Final Solution to the Jewish Question was pretty popular back in the '30s in a little country you may have heard of.

I don't think I said that anywhere. No, I re-read that post, doesn't appear to be there. Feel free to highlight the section where I said that.

Something I have said many times is the average Green voter likes to think they hold mainstream views, that the public broadly support them and if it wasn't for unions/corporations/dodgy donations they would be able to form Government with a huge majority. But that isn't the reality, as I've also said many times 20% (+?13%) of Green voters think the Liberal approach is either too soft, or spot on.

As we saw this election, the heat/interest in this issue is dropping off. The Guardian posted their latest leaks at the wrong time, there is the Census thing that more people are talking about. Hell I think in this thread more time has been spent talking about the Census than about the leaks.

Popular policy != good policy. But if you want to get elected, you need to have some popular policies and clearly explain other more contentious policies. The Greens have had a long time now to win the argument on asylum seekers, but they can't even convince 20+13% of their own base.

Recoome posted:

Like this is prob going to sound weird to someone who is a die-hard ALP supporter but some times people have these things called "ethics" and "principles", which are kind of like self-imposed guidelines which inform behaviour and positions towards things. These may not be popular or translate into nice little soundbites but basically, in this case, people are opposing systematic torture of refugees and First Australians because it goes against ethics and principles of human equality and justice.

20+13% of the Green voters support.

EvilElmo fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Aug 13, 2016

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

EvilElmo posted:

I don't think I said that anywhere. No, I re-read that post, doesn't appear to be there. Feel free to highlight the section where I said that.

EvilElmo posted:

Greens policy on this issue is so successful, they lost ground at this election.

Oh.

Reading: Hard.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Aesculus posted:

Reading: Hard.

Recoome posted:

Hmmm.

Nope, no mention of popular policy = good policy there.

So yeah, reading: hard. Just, not for me.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

EvilElmo posted:

Ummmm we aren't talking about the abuse of refugees here? Is this the unfounded claim on Twitter?

e: ughh your previous posting basically states that you think popular policy must therefore be good :shrug:

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Hand in your badge, Adolf.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Recoome posted:

Ummmm we aren't talking about the abuse of refugees here? Is this the unfounded claim on Twitter?

e: ughh your previous posting basically states that you think popular policy must therefore be good :shrug:

Like, feel free to find that previous posting where I basically state something. Because I'm pretty sure I've only said that this policy is popular so if you want to stand a chance of forming Government you need to be on board with it. Pretty sure I've said that many times, which pisses off the Greens in here because they're of the view you can somehow form Government with a policy the majority of Australian's don't want and feel passionate about in marginal seats.

Sorry, I'm bringing up unrelated things into the discussion, I thought that was allowed here. Since we pivot so well from Medicare to boats every other time. Or is that only allowed by the circle jerk?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

EvilElmo posted:

Sorry, I'm bringing up unrelated things into the discussion, I thought that was allowed here. Since we pivot so well from Medicare to boats every other time. Or is that only allowed by the circle jerk?

hahaha nice meltdown

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

EvilElmo is right about one thing - this thread is garbage.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

starkebn posted:

It's there an article someone can point me too that discusses why each state has 12 senators and what the pro and con arguments are? It's not an intuitive way for the system to be set up.

Clark, Griffith and Kingston were all from smaller states :v:

E: The constitutional requirement is for the original states to have an equal number of Senators. It was originally 6 per state but was increased to 12 in 1984. If, say, NT became a state there is no actual obligation to give then 12 Senators.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 13, 2016

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Endman posted:

yeah

shut the gently caress up recoome

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico

Endman posted:

Trash belongs in the tip, after all.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

yeah shut up recoome

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Thanks

Endman
May 18, 2010

Nice meltdown everyone

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The NT Deputy Chief Minister has widened the CLP's attack on the ABC's Four Corners program, saying it was responsible for people dying after a program it ran on the live cattle trade.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
are yall on the brink of race war too? we are and Obama's approval rating over here is at 53% lmao. Asking as an Asian-American

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/JoshBavas/status/764289278868193280

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

cargo cult posted:

are yall on the brink of race war too? we are and Obama's approval rating over here is at 53% lmao. Asking as an Asian-American

Australia has been constantly on the brink of race war for like 200 years.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

gay picnic defence posted:

'Someone'? More like multiple someones. I'll be shocked if there aren't violent riots in the aftermath of Trump losing. There'll be poo poo like that Malheur occupation going on all over the US. Putin doesn't need Trump in power, having the country paralyzed by internal unrest will probably be sufficient for his goals
I reached this conclusion while working out an hour ago and then I see you saying it in the other thread. I'd definitely prefer going "home" over being rounded up

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I like how they changed their tone after someone says that he's recording (he's from the ABC right?)

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Police and emergency services reporter. They hosed up.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Recoome posted:

I like how they changed their tone after someone says that he's recording (he's from the ABC right?)

He is the police and emergency services reporter.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

"your pupils aren't dilating and you're looking right at the sun!"

Uh yeah, that's how eyes work you moron.

That's a scary lack of understanding for a cop who's supposed to be able to reasonably suspect if someone is on drugs.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Queensland police in fascist idiot shock

Endman
May 18, 2010

Aussie cops look like a military surplus store fell on top of a second rate Security Guard. The uniform, or lack thereof, is dreadful.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Cuts down on the cost of needing actual stabproof material.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Australia has been actively waging race war for like 200 years.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Milky Moor posted:

yeah

shut the gently caress up recoome

Recoome posts good stuff about rallys and antifa actions so don't shut up, Recoome.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
:agreed:

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

cargo cult posted:

It feels like there's a general swing rightwards and more fascist stuff around but everything's going too well and we're generally more apathetic. We've also got more than 2 parties so there's not so much of the inner party conflict like bernie/hillary or Trump/everyone else. Plus being an island means you don't get anything like hispanic immigrants crossing the border, so there's less visibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

chaos rhames posted:

It feels like there's a general swing rightwards and more fascist stuff around but everything's going too well and we're generally more apathetic. We've also got more than 2 parties so there's not so much of the inner party conflict like bernie/hillary or Trump/everyone else. Plus being an island means you don't get anything like hispanic immigrants crossing the border, so there's less visibility.

This came out recently, from the last time we nearly had a race war.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Whn4q8HuC8g

• Locked thread