Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

ok then i'm honestly fine with a bit of totalitarianism tbh

That's obvious, yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

V. Illych L. posted:

this doesn't really follow, and does not seem to hold up to scrutiny

see e.g. certain policies of the PRC targetting majority-Han religious communities

Your implicit assumption is that ethnicities are rigid.

For example, the Hui People were considered Han until fairly recently, and now they are not. They (the Hui) also consider non-religious Hui to still be Hui, even though they are functionally identical to Han.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i mean, at a certain point you get farcical results from a "non-totalitarian" approach where you cannot use state violence to do things because it would be enforcing ideological discipline on society, e.g. using the secret police to blow up a hate group which a small minority of the members have been using to organise violent crime

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

computer parts posted:

Your implicit assumption is that ethnicities are rigid.

For example, the Hui People were considered Han until fairly recently, and now they are not. They (the Hui) also consider non-religious Hui to still be Hui, even though they are functionally identical to Han.

i fail to see the relevance of this example to the general and well-known repression by chinese authorities of groups ranging from christian sects to the falun gong

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

icantfindaname posted:

People have a big ole hardon for French style secularism, despite the fact that France in the 1800s was not a particularly successful state, had a very weak democracy and a weak economy, and arguably still does to this day for the same reasons as then

Would France have been a more successful state if it went back to the good 'ol days of the Church running roughshod over everything else?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

V. Illych L. posted:

i fail to see the relevance of this example to the general and well-known repression by chinese authorities of groups ranging from christian sects to the falun gong

The Hui are Han. Then they weren't.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

i mean, at a certain point you get farcical results from a "non-totalitarian" approach where you cannot use state violence to do things because it would be enforcing ideological discipline on society, e.g. using the secret police to blow up a hate group which a small minority of the members have been using to organise violent crime

No, arresting people for violent, organized crime is not an ideological act. Unless you mean, like, arresting people who profess beliefs similar to unrelated individuals who have committed crimes and also profess similar beliefs. Which makes very little sense

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Aug 13, 2016

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

khwarezm posted:

Would France have been a more successful state if it went back to the good 'ol days of the Church running roughshod over everything else?

The Church in Ancien Regime France was pretty well subordinated to the state, actually.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallicanism

But yes, France would probably have been better off with less rigid and intolerant ideologies and more decentralization

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

icantfindaname posted:

No, arresting people for violent, organized crime is not an ideological act. Unless you mean, like, arresting people who profess beliefs similar to unrelated individuals who have committed crimes and also profess similar beliefs. Which makes very little sense

well in this hypothetical one is destroying the organisation they were using to organise and motivate their crimes, despite the majority of members not doing anything illegal and, indeed, the organisation itself never formally acknowledging such acts, though i grant you that it's not a terribly efficient hypothetical

computer parts posted:

The Hui are Han. Then they weren't.

ok. this does nothing to support your position which is currently that all modern, ongoing religious repression is to some degree connected with racism

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

well in this hypothetical one is destroying the organisation they were using to organise and motivate their crimes, despite the majority of members not doing anything illegal and, indeed, the organisation itself never formally acknowledging such acts, though i grant you that it's not a terribly efficient hypothetical

This is something a normal legal system would have no trouble dealing with

You seem to just have a huge boner for arresting people for thoughtcrime

V. Illych L. posted:

ok. this does nothing to support your position which is currently that all modern, ongoing religious repression is to some degree connected with racism

Religion, especially minority ones, very often acquire the characteristics of / turn into separate ethnicities. For example, the Hui in China. Probably also Jews in medieval Europe, although the question of how many were converts as opposed to a massive human migration is a giant political slapfight

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 13, 2016

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

icantfindaname posted:

This is something a normal legal system would have no trouble dealing with

You seem to just have a huge boner for arresting people for thoughtcrime

most legal systems have no trouble dealing with it, but it seems as though this would be totalitarian in your terms

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

my point being, literally every modern society seems to be totalitarian by your standards

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

most legal systems have no trouble dealing with it, but it seems as though this would be totalitarian in your terms

No it wouldn't, because breaking up organized crime isn't considered an ideological act by anyone except you

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

icantfindaname posted:

Religion, especially minority ones, very often acquire the characteristics of / turn into separate ethnicities. For example, the Hui in China. Probably also Jews in medieval Europe, although the question of how many were converts as opposed to a massive human migration is a giant political slapfight

this, again, is not relevant to the discussion at hand

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

icantfindaname posted:

Not really, totalitarianism means authoritarianism plus ideological motivation. The state dictating to individuals what religious beliefs and practices than can do for ideological reasons is literally the definition of totalitarianism

Are you saying the state using its power to eliminate religion is a good or acceptable thing?

That's really defining totalitarianism down. The state outright banning religion would be totalitarian, because that's about as invasive an intrusion into the private sphere as you can get, but the state banning certain expressions of religion in public is authoritarian at most. Taking a long-term approach of social engineering through a system of incentives and disincentives to encourage a secular trend isn't really either of those things, though it could still be alarming to people who disagree with the goal.

Turkey banning public expressions of Islam for decades is an example of a restriction on religion that wasn't motivated by racism too, by the way. I don't think the current rise of political Islam in Turkey is necessarily a reaction against that so much as part of a broader trend in the region, and one that was successfully bottled up (yes, at a great cost to personal liberty) for quite some time, but it's admittedly not a prime example of harsh bans being effective anymore.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

icantfindaname posted:

No it wouldn't, because breaking up organized crime isn't considered an ideological act by anyone except you

how is 'crime' defined

i mean, hiding jews from the gas chambers was a crime under the nazi regime, i'd consider breaking up a jew-hiding group pretty ideological

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i am also not certain how one can have authoritarianism without ideology of some sort backing it up, so it's difficult to see how any centralised authority is non-totalitarian

berlin would be pretty horrified, i'm sure, at you equating non-entities like the various european autocrats with the likes of stalin

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

how is 'crime' defined

i mean, hiding jews from the gas chambers was a crime under the nazi regime, i'd consider breaking up a jew-hiding group pretty ideological

You're the one who came with that lovely hypothetical, ask a lawyer. Defining murder or robbery as a crime is not ideological, defining having the wrong / a religion as a crime is

Unless you think that having robbery be illegal is morally equivalent to banning religious practice in public

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

icantfindaname posted:

You're the one who came with that lovely hypothetical, ask a lawyer. Defining murder or robbery as a crime is not ideological, defining having the wrong / a religion as a crime is

why is this different

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Hey. People can be skumbag authoritarians about Muslim women's clothing without being a racist. And not being racist doesn't make approving of authoritarian bans on certain clothing not lovely.

Like I don't see how the phrase "people should be free to wear what they want" is a contentious sentence.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Nitrousoxide posted:

Hey. People can be skumbag authoritarians about Muslim women's clothing without being a racist. And not being racist doesn't make approving of authoritarian bans on certain clothing not lovely.

Like I don't see how the phrase "people should be free to wear what they want" is a contentious sentence.

building on a previous line of reasoning, wearing full neo-nazi get-up and hanging around synagogues would be, at best, frowned upon in most societies and considered an implicit threat in some

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

without further comparison to religious headwear or what have you, but that as a principle is actually not as easy to defend as one might want

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

why is this different

If you really don't know, I'm not sure what to tell you at this point

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

well i mean there's ideological judgements being made, but you seem to think that murder &c is somehow beyond ideology so i'm curious as to how you rationalise this

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

building on a previous line of reasoning, wearing full neo-nazi get-up and hanging around synagogues would be, at best, frowned upon in most societies and considered an implicit threat in some

I mean is you're in a synagogue that's private property and you can be ejected.

If you're on public property then i have no problem with someone wearing a nazi uniform.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

V. Illych L. posted:

To tone it down a fair bit, even wearing a 'refugees go home' t-shirt would be more than enough to set off some of the defenders of personal liberty in this thread. Context matters, and that shirt would be more than just an unfortunate fashion choice, just as the burqa is.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

just to be clear i think banning the burqa, as a concrete measure, is stupid and unproductive, but the underlying ideological discussions are often pretty meaty and bring a lot of the contradictions of vulgar liberalism to the fore

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

icantfindaname posted:

The Church in Ancien Regime France was pretty well subordinated to the state, actually.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallicanism

But yes, France would probably have been better off with less rigid and intolerant ideologies and more decentralization

The church and the state were thick as thieves and the question of the true extent of the pope's authority has been endlessly controversial. You can't disentangle the Church from the state of the Ancien Regime.

Its also probably worth noting that throughout the majority of the 1800s France was not a secular state and the conception of Laïcité that you aren't very fond of didn't exist. The Third Republic only came into existence during the 1870s and most of the previous 50 years had seen one monarch or another who tended to cultivate close relations with the church. Napoleon the Third in particular buttered up to the pope to a sometimes ridiculous degree, safeguarding his position in Italy militarily and supporting Catholics in the Middle East. Prior to that the resurrected Capetian monarchy made a fair stab at returning things as closely as possible to the old ways.

As much as anything this is where these problems sprang from. Republican hatred towards religion didn't come out of the blue, the Catholic Church at every opportunity supported Monarchists who tended to be very hostile to Liberal and Democratic values. The Syllabus of Errors in particular just ended up being a blunt 'gently caress You' towards Liberal reform throughout Europe, and the Church's choices of allies basically made it as clear as day to most French Liberals that trying to find common ground with them basically meant installing another king, abandoning anything approaching Liberal reform and handing over most of the reins of the State back to the Church.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Aug 13, 2016

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

khwarezm posted:

The church and the state were thick as thieves and the question of the true extent of the pope's authority has been endlessly controversial. You can disentangle the Church from the state of the Ancien Regime.

Its also probably worth noting that throughout the majority of the 1800s France was not a secular state and conception of Laïcité that you aren't very fond of didn't exist. The Third Republic only came into existence during the 1870s and most of the previous 50 years had seen one monarch or another who tended to cultivate close relations with the church. Napoleon the Third in particular buttered up to the pope to a sometimes ridiculous degree, safeguarding his position in Italy militarily and supporting Catholics in the Middle East. Prior to that the resurrected Capetian monarchy made a fair stab at returning things as closely as possible to the old ways.

As much as anything this is where these problems sprang. Republican hatred towards religion didn't come out of the blue, the Catholic Church at every opportunity supported Monarchists who tended to be very hostile to Liberal and Democratic values. The Syllabus of Errors in particular just ended up being a blunt 'gently caress You' towards Liberal reform throughout Europe, and the Church's choices of allies basically made it as clear as day to most French Liberals that trying to find common ground with them basically meant installing another king, abandoning anything approaching Liberal reform and handing over most of the reigns of the State back to the Church.

The Church in France was actually an early supporter of the revolution. Until the Republicans decided that the clergy should swear an oath to the state.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Nitrousoxide posted:

The Church in France was actually an early supporter of the revolution. Until the Republicans decided that the clergy should swear an oath to the state.

Its more complex than that, they supported some of the reform movements that would evolve into outright revolution, but there tended to be great division within the church over what they did and did not support.

Bishops and Archbishops tended to be drawn from the same strata as the Second Estate and had a vested interest in maintaining the status quo. Obviously they had the most control over the direction of policy but lowly priests and curates, who were often commoners, were often great allies of the Third Estate thanks to their direct connection with the parishioners.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Forums Terrorist posted:

a big reason iranian women lashed out against feminism after the revolution was the shah's wife had pushed women's lib heavily and thus it was seen as some kind of western plot

you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink

Well either that or instead of Iranian women lashing out against feminism it was Iranian women getting lashed(literally) by the Khomeini regime but I suppose we can introduce the hypothesis that those exotic Persians don't have the same desire to have autonomy and control over their own lives that white Western women do.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Sinteres posted:

To tone it down a fair bit, even wearing a 'refugees go home' t-shirt would be more than enough to set off some of the defenders of personal liberty in this thread. Context matters, and that shirt would be more than just an unfortunate fashion choice, just as the burqa is.

So what's the context that makes wearing a I HATE FOREIGNERS t-shirt acceptable?

You're acting like Muslims wear religious garments as a personal attack on you and not, you know, because of their religion.

EDIT: Also I'm not sure where this "unreasonable oppressive liberal" narrative is coming from. I'm sorry the mean old left is judging you for making GBS threads on Muslims.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 13, 2016

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Yinlock posted:

So what's the context that makes wearing a I HATE FOREIGNERS t-shirt acceptable?

You're acting like Muslims wear religious garments as a personal attack on you and not, you know, because of their religion.

I don't think the t-shirt is advisable either, and someone who wears it is a valid target of criticism. I'm just saying the freedom that allows one is the same freedom that allows the other. That's literally true in the US because of the first amendment, but in this thread it would be true because criticizing fashion is forbidden.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Sinteres posted:

I don't think the t-shirt is advisable either, and someone who wears it is a valid target of criticism. I'm just saying the freedom that allows one is the same freedom that allows the other. That's literally true in the US because of the first amendment, but in this thread it would be true because criticizing fashion is forbidden.

You're talking yourself in circles.

EDIT: Also interesting that you brought up the US, because "free speech!" is usually the first defense of people saying blatantly hateful poo poo.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 13, 2016

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Yinlock posted:

You're talking yourself in circles.

I oppose bans in both cases even though both might be illegal in some European countries. I also would prefer to live in a society in which both are uncommon.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Sinteres posted:

I oppose bans in both cases even though both might be illegal in some European countries. I also would prefer to live in a society in which both are uncommon.

And I think that there's a difference in importance between religious dress and some rear end in a top hat's "WE DON'T PRECIATE YUR KIND ROUND HERE" t poo poo.

There's a difference! #1 is because of a religion that he or she has modeled their life around. #2 is Shithead Dave from down the block who don't like the looks of them browns. This doesn't mean that all Muslims are magically safe from all criticism or whatever the hyperbole squad thinks they're being oppressed by. It just means that making GBS threads on Muslims because of how they dress is real dumb.

I mean in this very thread there's a number of people bristling at the idea that they might be forced to treat Muslims with basic human decency.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Yinlock posted:

And I think that there's a difference in importance between religious dress and some rear end in a top hat's "WE DON'T PRECIATE YUR KIND ROUND HERE" t poo poo.

There's a difference! #1 is because of a religion that he or she has modeled their life around. #2 is Shithead Dave from down the block who don't like the looks of them browns. This doesn't mean that all Muslims are magically safe from all criticism or whatever the hyperbole squad thinks they're being oppressed by. It just means that making GBS threads on Muslims because of how they dress is real dumb.

I mean in this very thread there's a number of people bristling at the idea that they might be forced to treat Muslims with basic human decency.

I understand why some people might wish to collaborate with patriarchal structures to oppress women because traditions, particularly those derived from religion, are important to them. I just think those people are conservatives rather than liberals. Liberals may accept that it's functionally impossible to eliminate the negative impact of those often coercive structures through coercive government mandates which are also coercive, but they should still view it as a worthy goal to pursue through less direct means.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
For someone who supposedly hates patriarchy you sure cant stop obsessing over what french women should or shouldn't wear and suggest they should have no choice in the matter, even though you're not affected by it in any conceivable way.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Aug 13, 2016

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I guess I just find it hard to believe that many women are really making uncoerced decisions to be near-slaves utterly dependent on male guardians since they're essentially unemployable non-persons in public if they cover their faces in a modern Western country. I totally understand why religiously or culturally conservative immigrants don't all want to suddenly adopt Western fashion and immodesty, and why forcing them to do so would be bad. That said, some accommodation to the reality of living in a society in which women are equals should absolutely be encouraged. I don't know how that's even controversial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sinteres posted:

I guess I just find it hard to believe that many women are really making uncoerced decisions to be near-slaves utterly dependent on male guardians since they're essentially unemployable non-persons in public if they cover their faces in a modern Western country.

I forgot that using email and telephones requires an uncovered face.