Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Final Fantasy XV is the Witcher 3 of video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
If they've found something that really needs fixing (or just a lot of polish), now would be their last chance. If it's getting delayed it's probably already been delayed and the announcement is just working its way through the proper channels/looking for the right timing.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Terper posted:

Final Fantasy XV is the Witcher 3 of video games.
With HairWorks always on.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

AlphaKretin posted:

It's mid-August, the game's probably in post-production by now. Game development isn't a case of working until the last minute and then hitting the publish button. Could they delay it, even if they wanted to? And what would they delay for at this stage of development anyway, two extra months of QA?

Didn't Watch Dogs announce a delay 2 weeks before release?

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

RatHat posted:

Didn't Watch Dogs announce a delay 2 weeks before release?

I dunno about Watch Underscore Dogs, but Mirror's Edge Catalyst was delayed for a couple weeks about a month prior to release. FFXV is a much bigger affair so if something needs to get fixed they'll delay it and continue working all the way up to release resulting in a huge day 1 patch. As a consequence of everything being online these days that's a blessing and a curse. The game won't be a permanent buggy mess, but we'll also have to wait longer to get it.

That being said, we need Square to actually confirm that, but I'd say the chances are pretty good that it will be delayed; that's just the world we live in nowadays.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
No mans sky was delayed two months very shortly before its initial release

edit: Gematsu also confirms that the delay is real, they were the ones that first broke the Sep. 30th release date.

Tae fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Aug 13, 2016

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Gran Turismo 5's November release in 2010 was delayed a week before its launch. People even got copies of the game before that delay.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I guess we'll get an official confirmation on Monday but I hope it's not true, especially because of the whole Neo thing.

The worst-case scenario would be the game running poorly on the basic PS4 hardware and SE/Sony using that as an excuse to push the Neo model harder.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Oxxidation posted:

I guess we'll get an official confirmation on Monday but I hope it's not true, especially because of the whole Neo thing.

The worst-case scenario would be the game running poorly on the basic PS4 hardware and SE/Sony using that as an excuse to push the Neo model harder.

Oh yeah. They are announcing that on the 7th. Hope it's interesting and has a turn in deal. Or something.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Aug 13, 2016

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

LordMune posted:

If they've found something that really needs fixing (or just a lot of polish), now would be their last chance. If it's getting delayed it's probably already been delayed and the announcement is just working its way through the proper channels/looking for the right timing.

They went from being one of the earliest AAA games in the fall season to releasing behind Thanksgiving. If the game still has major technical issues or external review services (EEDAR) aren't giving preview builds high marks, then they're better off delaying it to 2017.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Sunning posted:

They went from being one of the earliest AAA games in the fall season to releasing behind Thanksgiving. If the game still has major technical issues or external review services (EEDAR) aren't giving preview builds high marks, then they're better off delaying it to 2017.

For sure, but calculating viable release windows is arcane business. I can definitely see Square-Enix at least believing that a delay to 2017 would hurt the company image more than a delayed 2016 release that still isn't quite where it should be.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

someone post the lettuce incident

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Oxxidation posted:

the game is going to run poorly on everything don't worry about that

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wepgwx_9kto

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
poo poo happens. People are way too emotionally invested in this stupid game (but hey, what's new)

Provided this rumour is true, the marketing department has been thrown under a bus here. I could very well imagine they have no idea what's going on at the development side.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

I mean we'll be able to judge for ourselves tomorrow when the video comes out if it needs polish, or if Tabata is being a perfectionist with the finish line in sight.

I actually don't know which one I would prefer. That yes they actually need October to work on the game, or Tabata's just being crazy.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
If nothing else, I liked the idea that the delay would allow them to have the "day-1" patch on all the discs, so people without an internet connection don't have to play a shittier version of the game.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Yep, it's good to be inclusive.

I just hate that now I'm going to be too busy to play it until, like, February.

isk fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Aug 15, 2016

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

isk posted:

Yep, it's good to be inclusive.

I just hate that now I'm going to be too busy to play it until, like, February.

I'm actually the opposite, I'll be finishing up my work in October, so I'll actually have time to play it. Also, the building internet is Enterprise based, which means I'd have to set up a hot spot for the day 1 patch.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

President Barack Obama comforts Noctis during the official White House meeting discussing the delay in which the President expressed his grief over the proceedings, but gave game director Hajime Tabata his blessings and shared his heartfelt wishes for them to create the Best Final Fantasy.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
Well guess I was wrong! Also more time for me to probably end up cancelling my ultimate collectors edition and not buying the game for like 2 years till its used and £2.50.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I hope it's still worldwide on Tuesday the 29th.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

the worst part is now the game comes out on a tuesday instead of a friday

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

But hey we get thirty minutes of gameplay tomorrow :toot:

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I'm surprised they didn't push it till next year. Maybe the economics didn't work, but if the problems are big enough to warrant that message, 2 months doesn't sound like it would be enough. Unless it was literally a case of "the game is unplayable without the patch", "the game works fine with the patch", so ensuring the patch is on the disc solves all the problems.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The bigger question is:

Which will come out first, FFXV or Nioh? I believe the latter also has targeted 2016 release but no date.

I hope at least one of them comes out so I can spend my tax returns

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

probably smart to delay the game until after election day, expect game to be delayed until after inauguration

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Happy Sisyphus posted:

probably smart to delay the game until after election day, expect game to be delayed until after inauguration

Well, yeah, they need to figure out if the villain is Orange Bahamut or Elderly Shiva.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Well, yeah, they need to figure out if the villain is Orange Bahamut or Elderly Shiva.

plus after playing this game people will be so taken with tabata's beautiful fantasy world that they will become depressed and not want to vote, that's why James Cameron waited until 2009 to release his film 'Avatar'

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Un-limitbreak my heart...

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
This is disappointing and probably an ominous sign about the quality of the game.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I was quite surprised to see a 2016 date after they mentioned the delay, was so sure he was about to say next year at the earliest. Given how some day-one patches have been received lately, I can sort of see the dev teams concern (not that I personally would be opposed to a day one patch, but I can certainly relate)

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
gently caress, I wish you could submit a form to Square that says you're cool with a day one patch so send me the master version on 9/30. I mean, who the hell can afford a PS4 these days, but not access to the internet?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Megasabin posted:

This is disappointing and probably an ominous sign about the quality of the game.

Yeah puts a little strength towards one of the 4chan "leakers".

I don't care that much about the delay in the end, happy to get a (more finished) game to kill time with over holiday season up here where winters barely give any sun, at least it's not bad arm joints in the $250 edition figure delaying it.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I wasn't kidding with the Final Fantasy XV is the Witcher 3 of video games - it had delays and had to be patched several times to get rid of the worst of it. Rather delays now than more patches later.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

MrLonghair posted:

Yeah puts a little strength towards one of the 4chan "leakers".

I don't care that much about the delay in the end, happy to get a (more finished) game to kill time with over holiday season up here where winters barely give any sun, at least it's not bad arm joints in the $250 edition figure delaying it.

What's been said by these 'leaks'?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
First 12 minutes of Kingsglaive: http://www.ign.com/videos/2016/08/15/kingsglaive-final-fantasy-xv-opening-12-minutes

Movie looks hype

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Tabata looks real loving run down in that vid. Huge dark circles. Hope the guy is holding up - they must have been crunching for weeks just to hit the original master milestone and now they're going to do it over again for the second shot at it.

That said, if they thought it needed enough work to delay their huge announced date then it probably needs that work. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Sorry to hear about the delays. I'll look forward to my brotrip in Nov...

• Locked thread