Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phantasium posted:

People have been calling Metroid Dread for a while now, actually.

People are going to be so angry when the next Metroid game is titled Metroid: Spacefuckers or something instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I mean at least then we'd get another game where Samus just outright fucks space like she normally does.

They sent her to eradicate a species you'd think Space Peta would be on her rear end at some point, or at least for the several exploded planets.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phantasium posted:

I mean at least then we'd get another game where Samus just outright fucks space like she normally does.

They sent her to eradicate a species you'd think Space Peta would be on her rear end at some point, or at least for the several exploded planets.

Space Peta is okay because she canonically rescued the animals.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

I think it's a bit silly to call Metroid dead. It's never been a particularly prolific franchise.

Metroid was released in 1986 and didn't get a sequel until 1991. Super Metroid came (relatively) soon afterwards in 1994 and then the next Metroid game was in 2002.

To put it another way: There is less time between the release of Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy XV (discounting spinoffs entirely) than between Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion.

The only time we got a big "Metroid Boom" was during the Prime years. Which was admittedly pretty nice but has never really been the normal for the franchise. It's been about 6 years since Other M and odds are fairly good a new Metroid will be an NX title so we're basically back onto the usual Metroid release schedule.

I mean prolific doesn't really mean alive and well, and vice versa. There aren't a ton of Metroid games but 1, 2 and Super were all pretty incredible when they came out and met almost universal acclaim. Prime 1 is considered by many to be one of the top Gamecube games.

Meanwhile Final Fantasy has like 3 mobile titles and 2 or 3 console titles this year alone, and that franchise is still recovering (SE themselves have talked about how close FFXIV 1.0 came to killing off the franchise for good after the dismal wreck that was XIII)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

drunk asian neighbor posted:

(SE themselves have talked about how close FFXIV 1.0 came to killing off the franchise for good after the dismal wreck that was XIII)

I've never actually seen that before, do you have a link to where they said that?

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

ImpAtom posted:

Space Peta is okay because she canonically rescued the animals.

greetings from germany

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

I've never actually seen that before, do you have a link to where they said that?

I don't have the exact link, but the situation was pretty grim:

wikipedia article on FFXIV 1.0 posted:

The flawed release and poor reception of the game had a heavy impact on Square Enix: citing XIV among other reasons, the company reduced its projected income for the year by 90%.[76] At the 2011 Tokyo Game Show, Wada issued an official apology for the quality of the game, saying that "the Final Fantasy brand [had] been greatly damaged".[77] The company and development team eventually decided to scrap the current version of XIV, rebuilding it from the ground up.[22] This rebooted version, initially titled Final Fantasy XIV 2.0, began development in April 2011.[78] The rebooted version was released in 2013 as Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, and has been positively received by critics and players. Yoshida, commenting in a later interview, stated that A Realm Reborn was just the first part of regaining player trust after the release of XIV, predicting that the process would take a long time.[22]

IMO you don't make a public apology and scrap a game after release unless the entire brand is in major trouble. (Good thing 2.0 was/is loving awesome!)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Schwarzwald posted:

It sounds like someone never beat the game in under two hours!

what does beating the game in two hours have to do with Anthony Higgs?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they scrapped 14 1.0 because it was literally the worst game ever made by human hands, actually. the brand was greatly damaged by 1.0. i don't see anywhere in there that 13 enters into it. it underperformed, especially the sequels, but it wasn't a massive dumpster fire financially or anything and people responded to the games okay.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My understanding is that 14 was scrapped because it was a complete disaster. It damaged the brand but more importantly S-E had huge expectations for it. It's worth remembering that FFXI was the most profitable Final Fantasy game and FFXIV was clearly supposed to be its successor and instead was one of the biggest disasters in recent memory. That is a big part of why Square-Enix panicked because it was supposed to be one of their big moneymakers for the foreseeable future.

The FF brand has weakened (long periods of time between releases and FF12 and 13 were both relatively poorly received) but it's not a weak brand, just no longer as dominant as it used to be. Mega Man, ironically, is the example of a prolific-but-weak brand. It lingered as long as it did because they kept striking new 'gold' with spinoffs that kept reviving a flagging brand. (Plus it seems like some behind-the-scenes pushing from Inafune.) Metroid isn't quite either. It's not prolific but not really 'dead' either. It's just a franchise that releases slowly more often than not.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 11, 2016

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Endorph posted:

they scrapped 14 1.0 because it was literally the worst game ever made by human hands, actually. the brand was greatly damaged by 1.0. i don't see anywhere in there that 13 enters into it. it underperformed, especially the sequels, but it wasn't a massive dumpster fire financially or anything and people responded to the games okay.

I mean if you want to be super pedantic about it, they scrapped it because it was a bad game and therefore was losing them tons of money and greatly damaging the brand. I misspoke about XIII, but I would definitely consider a 90% drop in projected income to be a near-deathblow for a franchise, and if 2.0 hadn't been such a smashing success, I doubt we would have gotten Type-0 at all, or any of the mobile games (some of which are actually a lot of fun), and who knows what XV would have turned out as. Or it would potentially have gone the other way and all we would see would be mobile titles; see also: Metal Gear Pachinko.

ImpAtom posted:

My understanding is that 14 was scrapped because it was a complete disaster. It damaged the brand but more importantly S-E had huge expectations for it. It's worth remembering that FFXI was the most profitable Final Fantasy game and FFXIV was clearly supposed to be its successor and instead was one of the biggest disasters in recent memory. That is a big part of why Square-Enix panicked because it was supposed to be one of their big moneymakers for the foreseeable future.

I agree with this to some extent, but I think the crucial aspect of it was that it both damaged the brand badly but was also actively losing money for them. They poured tons of money into that game, and subscription numbers were dismal as gently caress, plus the cost of server maintenance, in-game support, etc. If it had been a single-player title, they could have recovered and moved on in a bunch of different ways, but I really can't think of any other example where a company goes "ok we are ending this game (complete with closure to the storyline and final missions and poo poo), remaking it, and re-releasing it because it is a giant dumpster fire."

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 11, 2016

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

drunk asian neighbor posted:

I mean prolific doesn't really mean alive and well, and vice versa. There aren't a ton of Metroid games but 1, 2 and Super were all pretty incredible when they came out and met almost universal acclaim. Prime 1 is considered by many to be one of the top Gamecube games.
I personally think Metroid Prime is one of THE best games ever made. It is not only an absolutely worthy sequel updating every little aspect of its predecessors into the third dimension, no mean feat on its own, it also manages to incorporate current trends (more story-focused games) without impeding the gameplay at all (the utter genious of the scan visor) while, to top it of, overall being simply fun as gently caress in a way that has rarely been emulated. I got a friend who was like "heh I've never played a console game, I don't even GET controllers" to try it out and he was loving hooked and finished it and Prime 2 as well because the control scheme, movement, shooting, exploration and level design are picture perfect, there are little games that are as holistically good as Prime 1.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i didnt like metroid prime that much but ive never been good at or enjoyed first person exploration

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I like Metroid Prime a lot but one thing it fails to capture for me is the feeling of increasing mobility and movement that is a big part of Metroid to me. It's still an excellent game but there is nothing in it to me that feels as amazing and freeing as getting Speed Booster or Space Jump in the 2D Metroids. The exploration is very different though by no means bad.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Alteisen posted:

Platinum Metroid would probably be what Other M was supposed to be.

Well what it looked like from that initial trailer anyway.

Oh I'm not the only one who thought that, with the decrease on exploration to have a mostly linear/level based game with big cinematic moments.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
as-intended Metroid Prime is a decent game.

Sequence-broken Metroid Prime where you scan-dash at the start and get early double jump is a great game, much more fun, doesn't feel like you're on puppet strings anymore.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I like Metroid Prime a lot but one thing it fails to capture for me is the feeling of increasing mobility and movement that is a big part of Metroid to me. It's still an excellent game but there is nothing in it to me that feels as amazing and freeing as getting Speed Booster or Space Jump in the 2D Metroids. The exploration is very different though by no means bad.

I feel like endgame Metroid Prime I was going faster purely by knowing where I was going but I understand.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

FactsAreUseless posted:

Metal Man wields metal gears because Shadow Man got all the dominant genes, and he got all the recessive ones.

Metal gears???

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

ImpAtom posted:

That's true, but at the same time the Prime games also have tons of lore and information to learn via the scan visor which is a different kind of awesome imo.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

mycot posted:

Oh I'm not the only one who thought that, with the decrease on exploration to have a mostly linear/level based game with big cinematic moments.

Yea when I heard team ninja's involvement I just figured it was gonna be like Ninja Gaiden but on a bigger scale as some NG games do have some elements of exploration.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

I got a friend who was like "heh I've never played a console game, I don't even GET controllers" to try it out and he was loving hooked and finished it and Prime 2 as well because the control scheme, movement, shooting, exploration and level design are picture perfect, there are little games that are as holistically good as Prime 1.

Was this with the Gamecube versions, or the Wii remakes?

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
On a non Metroid Man note, if anyone's played MaGMMLC, could you do me a favor and list the boss weaknesses? I'm trying to do the post game arena and Dagger Man alone is obnoxious as hell, I'm going to have a hell of a time getting through the other 18 bosses.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I beat the first Metroid Prime and it was all right, but I never finished 2 or 3 because I just got really bored playing them.

Metroid also doesn't really have a very strongly established, original universe and lore. Super Metroid and Zero Mission are expertly designed games but aside from the gameplay, general mood and the character of Samus Aran, not much else really stands out. I mean... it is heavily inspired by Alien, after all.

Basically, what makes Metroid well, Metroid is the character of Samus, going around exploring and finding secret items and stuff, and a creepy, isolated, alien atmosphere.

To me, Metroid is like Zelda to me where I like a few of the games and the characters (or in this case, a singular character) but I'm way less into it than a lot of people. Of course, the opposite is the case for Mega Man\Castlevania and me, where a lot of people scratch their heads and wonder why I like all these very samey games so much.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.
You know what would be an awesome remake idea?

MegaMan V for GameBoy, with hand drawn animated graphics (like SkullGirls and Indivisible they're working on now), with the ability to have GameBoy filters on it as well. Market it like an old 50's sci fi movie (like in trailers and promo ads online and in magazines) with old film filter, black and white and all, and call it MegaMan VS The Stardroids.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I would love to see all the gameboy Mega Mans remade, with II given special attention to put it in line with the others in quality. Like this concept that was poster earlier in the thread

LemonLimeTime posted:

Eh.

I personally really don't like MegaMan's sprite in MM7 to begin with anyways.
I quite like this 16 but rendition though:

From here:
http://www.themmnetwork.com/blog/2011/02/18/resurrecting-mega-man-mania-a-pitch-concerning-the-values-of-mega-man
The Gameboy Mega Mans really need more love, they are about as great as 8-bit Mega Man gets.

EDIT: I just realized that I'm replying to the same person who posted that remake concept here :downs:

A good poster posted:

Was this with the Gamecube versions, or the Wii remakes?

Gonna guess he's talking about the Gamecube versions. The motion controls aren't bad but they suffer from issues inherent to the Wii Remote pointer controls, like it being really easy for the game to lose track of the pointer with no quick and easy way to recenter it. Kinda a shame that Trilogy came before Nintendo caught on to gyro controls which were basically better in every single way. Also playing Trilogy hurts my hand after a little while.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Oh, I forgot to answer that post. Yeah, it was Gamecube for Prime 1 and 2 (we both love both gently caress the haters), and he started playing the Wii version of 2 a bit but didn't continue for RL reasons. He hates and didn't finish Corruption for all the Grapple lassoing, he never got it down and you have to do it all the time. Also Corruption just isn't that good of a game and the first major boss can suck my fat balls.

Motion controls themselves are incredible though and I will always choose the Trilogy version over the GC one.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The biggest problem with the Trilogy version is that it doesn't have the cool effects that go along with each beam, like being able to see Samus's finger position using Thermal Visor (since the game explains her switching beams by moving her fingers) and her arm getting coated in ice when charging the Ice Beam. Those were cool as gently caress.

Corruption is not a bad game by any means but it is the weakest of the trilogy imo. I don't like the segmented nature of the world design, some of the uses of motion controls are pretty overtly gimmicky, the streamlining of certain elements like beams and missiles hurts the gameplay by limiting options and this kind of simplicity worked fine for the 2D games and all but Prime's gameplay benefits a lot more from being able to choose different beams and such.
Prime 1 is probably the most well-designed while Echoes is maybe more uneven but is my personal favorite.

legoman727 posted:

On a non Metroid Man note, if anyone's played MaGMMLC, could you do me a favor and list the boss weaknesses? I'm trying to do the post game arena and Dagger Man alone is obnoxious as hell, I'm going to have a hell of a time getting through the other 18 bosses.

Don't have an answer for this, but speaking of which does anybody have some recommendations of solid Mega Man fan games? I've already played Minus Infinity and Unlimited.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Augus posted:

The biggest problem with the Trilogy version is that it doesn't have the cool effects that go along with each beam, like being able to see Samus's finger position using Thermal Visor (since the game explains her switching beams by moving her fingers) and her arm getting coated in ice when charging the Ice Beam. Those were cool as gently caress.

Corruption is not a bad game by any means but it is the weakest of the trilogy imo. I don't like the segmented nature of the world design, some of the uses of motion controls are pretty overtly gimmicky, the streamlining of certain elements like beams and missiles hurts the gameplay by limiting options and this kind of simplicity worked fine for the 2D games and all but Prime's gameplay benefits a lot more from being able to choose different beams and such.
Prime 1 is probably the most well-designed while Echoes is maybe more uneven but is my personal favorite.
Wassup fellow Echoes lover :hfive:.

To rephrase my statement, no, Corruption is not BAD, but it's severely disappointing after Prime 1 and 2 imho. And it does commit some hard and heavy mistakes which go way beyond even Echoes' individual failings (ammo, Boost Guardian, arguably the key hunt) and just soured me on it. I also really hate Hypermode.

quote:

Don't have an answer for this, but speaking of which does anybody have some recommendations of solid Mega Man fan games? I've already played Minus Infinity and Unlimited.
Day in the Limelight 2 is my personal favourite. Minus Infinity does too much for my taste and Unlimited is too hard, while DitL2 has such a cool and unique conceit and pulls it off perfectly that I really wonder why not more Fangame designers try and be bolder in what they do with the basic formula; it is proven to work, after all!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Some of the Mega Man badges are back in Nintendo Badge Arcade if you like that sort of thing.

I spent an embarassing amount of money on getting them all the first time they came around because I assumed they wouldn't be back

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Augus posted:

I'll second Day in the Limelight 2.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

I beat the first Metroid Prime and it was all right, but I never finished 2 or 3 because I just got really bored playing them.

Metroid also doesn't really have a very strongly established, original universe and lore. Super Metroid and Zero Mission are expertly designed games but aside from the gameplay, general mood and the character of Samus Aran, not much else really stands out. I mean... it is heavily inspired by Alien, after all.

Basically, what makes Metroid well, Metroid is the character of Samus, going around exploring and finding secret items and stuff, and a creepy, isolated, alien atmosphere.

To me, Metroid is like Zelda to me where I like a few of the games and the characters (or in this case, a singular character) but I'm way less into it than a lot of people. Of course, the opposite is the case for Mega Man\Castlevania and me, where a lot of people scratch their heads and wonder why I like all these very samey games so much.

That's not quite true, the series does have some cool stuff like the Chozo and Luminoth, which aren't really things I've seen in any contemporary sci-fi setting. The games just focus more on being actual games instead of bogging you down with lore dumps and character development. Except Other M. And Other M was goddamn awful. The Prime games at least make the lore optional through the scan visor and you need to scan everything if lore about the universe is what you're interested in.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I have the invisible Gravity Suit bug :negative:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Blackheart posted:

I have the invisible Gravity Suit bug :negative:

What bug are you talking about?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

What bug are you talking about?

In AM2R some people become invisible once they get the gravity suit. The developer has said they're working on fixing it.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Yeah it's a shader issue with some graphic cards or something. Other than switching the suit off there's apparently not much you can do until a patch comes out.

Oh well.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
I wonder if there's enough interest to make a dedicated Metroid thread at this point? I've seen it being talked about in a number of different game threads by now.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It'd probably be more efficient to just make this thread the Captain N Reunion Show.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Dabir posted:

It'd probably be more efficient to just make this thread the Captain N Reunion Show.

Captain N's Simon Belmont is the Vampire Killer of my heart. And that's not even touching on how awesome Captain N's Alucard is.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Dabir posted:

It's weird how Mother Brain was like the main villain but Samus was only in the comic books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Light Gun Man posted:

It's weird how Mother Brain was like the main villain but Samus was only in the comic books.

Or the fact that there were no Mario characters in the show (that I can remember anyway), which I always found a bit strange.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 13, 2016