Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

In Training posted:

It's good because it's the best gameplay in the series and actually challenging in parts. I skip every cutscene in most games I play

imo you are missing out a lot if you skip the cutscenes in a good mario rpg since that would be like ordering a full burger but only eating half of it and throwing the other half away

I like what I played of paper jam tho, and I am glad that there is a recent paper mario game better than sticker star because sticker star was just such a waste of everything :\

also yeah so far the toad games have been varying levels of fun tho they definitely feel kinda wedged in there, like, "okay now stop progressing and play some minigames for a bit" lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

I'm gonna grind up mana in phantom brave until I can get this crate to learn "Twin Tower" >:]

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i don't skip cutscenes but i haven't been able to actually watch one and not just look at my phone in a long time unless its mgs or mgr

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

I got a ways into Paper Jam before just putting it down and playing through Paper Mario TTYD again. PJ looks real nice and has some INCREDIBLE and actually really loving challenging bossfights, but the entire rest of the game just does not engage me in any way. Forced repeated hide and seek and tag minigames with a fuckload of toads, samey and insultingly easy cardboard mech battles, dull predictable and repetitive enemy encounters, yet more wacky fourth-wall-breaking groan-inducing THIS IS WHAT IS HAPPENING IN CASE YOU ARE LITERALLY RETARDED synopses from Starlow and the entire plot is that instead of one Bowser there are now

two Bowsers :tootzzz:

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Also has anyone seen the latest Greenlight sensation, because that... sure is a thing :stare:

For bonus yuks, I guess their bandwidth is getting hit pretty hard by people downloading the demo, so they put up a mirror on... Dropbox. I sure am instilled with faith that these guys know what they're doing

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

why a robot gotta have a titty?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
why a robot gotta have an rear end?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mass Effect did it so

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

New shiren will be so good

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I wonder how much of the challenge is going to be from a third of the screen being taken up by a huge rear end at all times.

I guess it's nice to see the next big thing that online feminists and anti-feminists are going to have a big angry fight over before it happens though. I can't wait.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Starlow is really goddamned mean to luigi in paper jam and nobody calls her out on that poo poo :( Like you'd think after 2 games of Luigi showing he can be more than competent in front of her and learning that he was instrumental to winning in the past you'd think she'd stop being such a jackass :\

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

FactsAreUseless posted:

Even graphically Prime has aged really well. It looks way better than a huge number of other games from that same period. It's very well-designed.

:agreed:

Metroid Prime is one of the short list of "perfect games" for me. It does everything it wants to do and does it well.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

What a badass cat.

Reminds me of my cat, who is also white with orange splotches and has only one eye. He's a street cat and a total badass. Also pretty pudgy now but not quite that fat.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Dr Cheeto posted:

why a robot gotta have an rear end?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

quote:

You will controll Haydee - half-human, half-robot character in search of her way out of strange artificial complex full of traps, pain and depression. No casual stuff awaits you.
Hardcore depression gameplay.

With boobs.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

A Spider Covets posted:

Has anyone here played it while stoned yet and if so how was it

I feel like I would get confused very quickly by the strange PC controls. It is definitely chill tho and naming the animals is a good thing.

I get a little high and play it at night. It's alright, but it's easy to fall asleep because nothing is happening and wake up in an hour to all my bars being empty and my character suffocating twenty feet from his ship with a pack full of fuel. Stakes are low, so it's not like much is lost. I think that naming things is a neat feature, but the rewards are minimal, the chance someone will see what you name is minuscule, and since I play on a PS4, using the keyboard is a little cumbersome. I find it to be the least fun thing to do in a game with only a few fun things to do, but I do take some time and upload things I've discovered every other day or so, just to populate the universe. Mostly my gameplay loop is warp to the next solar system, get a pack upgrade from the space station (once you get the Atlas Pass v1.0), do a scan from space to find a building to home in on, explore for any low-hanging fruit, warp to the next system. I tried to use the galactic map to find the center of the universe, but I couldn't find it after 15 minutes of zooming towards the light. I figure I'll get ten Atlas stones then start hunting for black holes.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

No casual stuff awaits you.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Are Sony still pretending The Last Guardian is coming out in two months?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

PBS Newshour posted:

Hardcore depression gameplay.

With boobs.

Sounds like my life, assuming the boobs are 2D

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Somebody in the comments of that greenlight asking them to add a little dick robot that you gently caress to recharge and use it to solve puzzles

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Broseph Brostar posted:

Somebody in the comments of that greenlight asking them to add a little dick robot that you gently caress to recharge and use it to solve puzzles

Sounds like more fun than Senran Kagura at least

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

MonkeyforaHead posted:

yet more wacky fourth-wall-breaking groan-inducing THIS IS WHAT IS HAPPENING IN CASE YOU ARE LITERALLY RETARDED synopses from Starlow

Starlow isn't the worst thing ever, but I really wish the designers would have confidence enough in the players to not feel the need to have someone explain everything all the time. Superstar Saga got its ideas across just fine without a Navi-type spelling it out for you. Explanations slowing the game down is a huge part of why Paper Jam isn't as fun as it could be.

FirstAidKite posted:

Starlow is really goddamned mean to luigi in paper jam and nobody calls her out on that poo poo :( Like you'd think after 2 games of Luigi showing he can be more than competent in front of her and learning that he was instrumental to winning in the past you'd think she'd stop being such a jackass :\

Another thing that I liked in Superstar Saga is that for all the "Mario and uh, Green Guy" jokes, the game had jokes about Mario too, like when he crushed Luigi with a hammer for saying no to Peach or when he got filled up with juice and Luigi rode him down the river in a barrel. It seems like every game after is just "Ha ha, Luigi sure does suck" and there isn't really any back and forth, so it feels just mean.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I want a Waluigi game. Super Waluigi World. Wario and Waluigi sub-par star saga.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Lurdiak posted:

Another thing that I liked in Superstar Saga is that for all the "Mario and uh, Green Guy" jokes, the game had jokes about Mario too, like when he crushed Luigi with a hammer for saying no to Peach or when he got filled up with juice and Luigi rode him down the river in a barrel. It seems like every game after is just "Ha ha, Luigi sure does suck" and there isn't really any back and forth, so it feels just mean.

Luigi's first big solo game is also the one where he sucks the most

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

:drat:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I gave my young cousin my DS and he played Elite Beat Agents for the first time.

He called the meter the "Daniel Bryan Meter" because it kept saying yes.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Broseph Brostar posted:

Luigi's first big solo game is also the one where he sucks the most

Yeah, there's no way he earned his medical doctorate at a legitimate university!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Red Bones posted:

I want a Waluigi game. Super Waluigi World. Wario and Waluigi sub-par star saga.

I made a design document for just such a game back in college when I was bored.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

omega metroid sucks

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

corn in the bible posted:

omega metroid sucks
All the bosses in AM2R suck.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Aug 13, 2016

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Accordion Man posted:

All the bosses in AMR2 suck.

what the gently caress

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

what the gently caress

he's right though

the weak bosses also suck because they are beaten by fire missiles 20x at a harmless enemy that is hard to hit but can never kill you

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Red Bones posted:

A recent Giantbomb podcast talked about the idea of a Wario and Waluigi RPG. It seems like such a good idea that I'm just waiting for some at Nintendo to allow Waluigi to be in a game that's not sport-centric

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Remember when waluigi was briefly removed from the mario kart series because he was considered too creepy

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Charmander

Alternatively name it Yoshi

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

corn in the bible posted:

he's right though

the weak bosses also suck because they are beaten by fire missiles 20x at a harmless enemy that is hard to hit but can never kill you

I guess I just don't consider the metroid battles "bosses." They were tedious (true to the original), but I had a blast with all of the non-metroid bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

https://a.pomf.cat/tyxgqb.webm

• Locked thread