Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Nonsense posted:

because you can still get into deep poo poo in school if you don't stand for the pledge. Texas has its own pledge said right after the US flag pledge.

What? No we don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Supreme Allah posted:

Wow that was the first olympic I watched and it was an exciting rowing race with a photo finish,

That looks like a hard sport

Yeah, you have to watch out for the corpses, the submerged furniture, and the constant nagging fear of what you catch from the poo poo water might be completely antibiotic resistant

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
All the rowers I've known (lived next door to one for a year at university, met quite a lot) are loving insane.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Diving Pool update: Apparently, they put hydrogen peroxide in the water which neutralized the chlorine.

Also Mr. "Chemistry Is Not An Exact Science" Spokesman admits to overpromising and underdelivering.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cthulu Carl posted:

Diving Pool update: Apparently, they put hydrogen peroxide in the water which neutralized the chlorine.

Also Mr. "Chemistry Is Not An Exact Science" Spokesman admits to overpromising and underdelivering.

What kind of gasses does this release, if any ?

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

unpacked robinhood posted:

What kind of gasses does this release, if any ?

It depends how much chlorine or hydrogen peroxide was put in, but you might get HCl gas.

... It's an inexact science you see

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Cthulu Carl posted:

Christ, it is like a drunk Bill Nye the Science Guy trying to figure poo poo out and not giving a gently caress.

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

Edit: more on the French tennis team member death here:

http://wwos.nine.com.au/2016/08/13/21/29/french-tennis-physiotherapist-dies-in-rio

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Is that a Bringo square? Also wtf

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It should mostly reduce to Salt. Chlorine gas shouldn't be a problem. Whatever else the gently caress they've got in there though, whatever was making it smell of farts, gently caress knows what it'll do with that.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Check the French medalists' rooms for pentagrams, locks of the dead guy's hair, lead tablets, dead chickens, or copies of pacts signed in blood.

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

Rio cries for football

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Don't know what that platform is but I bet it cost several million dollars and they'll just leave it there.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

B!G_$W@NG@ posted:

Don't know what that platform is but I bet it cost several million dollars and they'll just leave it there.

The New York times posted:

4:30 p.m.

Practice for the open water swimming competition at Fort Copacabana has been canceled after the starting platform sank.

The platform was wrecked on Saturday because of weather conditions, two days before the 10-kilometer women's race. According to Mario Andrada, spokesman for Rio 2016, it broke into three pieces .

Officials are working to recover the structure on Copacabana beach, where it was found.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
Weather conditions, not because it was poorly built. Not at all.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Ah, sorry if I missed it there in the articles.

If you were a distance swimmer, would you be too upset if they just cancelled the whole thing?

Still diving going on, pool looks like a lake.

Someone asked earlier about showering with the diving, looks like they shower before and after (and the hot tubs, which are looking pretty gross too). Helps with rinsing chlorine off (or lowering its impact) and staying warm.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They've spent all that time desperately prepping their immune system for every disease known to mankind, they might as well race.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The velodrome races are weirdly fascinating. For some reason, I'm finding the slow circling stare-downs hilarious. If I knew what was actually going on, I'm sure it would be less funny to me.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Oh hey, they are replacing the water in water polo pool, the diving well will stay green though.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

flosofl posted:

The velodrome races are weirdly fascinating. For some reason, I'm finding the slow circling stare-downs hilarious. If I knew what was actually going on, I'm sure it would be less funny to me.

The races where they just track stand for a while, then end really fast?

It's a game of chicken. Whoever blinks first has to go in front, and is at a big disadvantage - the other rider will be able to draft behind them, saving a poo poo-ton of energy, and will have enough juice to wait until the final turn then blast past them to win.

Only the last few hundred meters is timed, so until then it's just a bunch of mind games.

It doesn't make it any less funny to me.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
what if the front rider just lets out rancid farts though

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Grim Up North posted:

Oh hey, they are replacing the water in water polo pool, the diving well will stay green though.

That's an extra 24 hours of blue water at most

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

This would be me

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i bet those sneaky russkies could engineer some tear gas farts or something

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

flosofl posted:

If it's two dudes on bikes staring each other down and going really slow that's the professional flinching contest event. Match Sprint is weird.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Moridin920 posted:

Great loving tactic.

There's a story about Greg LeMond (IIRC, it may be someone else) having a massive case of the shits during a bike race so he pulled his bike shorts down using the nose of his saddle and let that poo poo fly all over his rear wheel, the road, and the other cyclists following right behind him.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

unpacked robinhood posted:

That's an extra 24 hours of blue water at most

Then it fills up with bleach resistant algae.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Moridin920 posted:

i bet those sneaky russkies could engineer some tear gas farts or something

Yea, it's called borscht and cheap vodka.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

flosofl posted:

This is an example of a retarded sport.
If its a loving sprint match do it on a flat airstip or something, lets see how fast you bitches can go.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

a happy snowman posted:

Great loving tactic.

There's a story about Greg LeMond (IIRC, it may be someone else) having a massive case of the shits during a bike race so he pulled his bike shorts down using the nose of his saddle and let that poo poo fly all over his rear wheel, the road, and the other cyclists following right behind him.

http://www.freewheelingfrance.com/tour-de-france/slaying-the-badger.html

quote:

It was a bad peach, LeMond reckoned. After eating it, his stomach reacted violently. He turned to a teammate: ‘Pass me your hat.’

‘What do you want my hat for?’

‘Please, just pass me the goddamn hat!’

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

flosofl posted:

The one where they have to start by following goony dude on a little electric scooter is the best.

Also because during a crash, one of the cyclists was so determined to hang out, she ended up riding on the wall as she passed the crash.

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

(Phone post, apologies for posting a screenshot)

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

So I guess they didn't let that Iranian woman enter their stadium

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

:nws:http://i.imgur.com/Fd7bi44.jpg:nws:

First zika virus and poo poo water, now a hip slip. She is going to get stoned to death when she returns to Saudi Arabia.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
what if the swimmers can't control themselves and are making GBS threads and pissing everywhere, making the pool yellow

is it still Rio's fault they're lovely people?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Best thing about velodrome how to the athletes look like fallout mutants due to their enormous thighs

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Kinetica posted:

It depends how much chlorine or hydrogen peroxide was put in, but you might get HCl gas.

... It's an inexact science you see

Is that poisonous?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BULBASAUR posted:

what if the swimmers can't control themselves and are making GBS threads and pissing everywhere, making the pool yellow

is it still Rio's fault they're lovely people?

but the pool is green, and brown + yellow doesnt make green

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

I'm so sorry about the quality of this but I loved these from the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

:nws:http://i.imgur.com/Fd7bi44.jpg:nws:

First zika virus and poo poo water, now a hip slip. She is going to get stoned to death when she returns to Saudi Arabia.
What the poo poo man, I opened that at work.

• Locked thread