Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Cat's relatively ok, turns what he has an INCREDIBLY bad swelling in this gumline which at a glance presented as stomatis, at least the early stages of it, its being caused by him eating things he shouldn't apparently. Was given some prednisone for him and more clyndmamicin and do limit or outright remove his outdoor time.

BUT OF COURSE BECAUSE ITS ITS ME HIS PILLS HAVE VANISHED INTO THE ETHER AND THE VET IS CLOSED TILL MONDAY.

My cats are going to end me. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
At least that sounds like something pretty easy to fix. Poor little guy.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

:catdrugs:

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

Cowslips Warren posted:

But the lady that adopted Quartz, a snowshoe, has kept contact and sends me pictures all the time. Zircron was adopted last week. Which leavex Onyx, Flourite, and Jasper. Jasper is starting to get a complex, he has been to four events so far and nothing.

Best kitten naming award goes to you.

Last Saturday (the 6th) my shelter had a HUGE adoption even to celebrate our 10 years as a no-kill organization. We adopted out about 30 adult animals, with a lots of them being adult cats. (We didn't run the special on the kittens for obvious reasons but a boatload of them got adopted too!)

Also, one of my volunteer friends just had a successful batch of kittens, that she got as 1 week old bottle babies, go off to their long term foster (I think I posted a few). They are fat little round kitten shapes.

Successes abound!! But love for y'all with darker clouds right now.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Really hoping for the best for those of you with foster struggles.

Chili wanted me to share more about our own rescue, a little orange tabby named Geki. We found her about six weeks ago now on the way home from tabletop, just hiding in the grass on the side of a farmland road in the middle of the night, nobody anywhere near her. These are all pictures of her in the last couple of days, where she's grown a lot by now; she was just a little nugget then, not even bigger than my hands.

She was really spooked, but we got her bundled up in a sweater and she fell asleep almost immediately for the entire rest of the ride home. Right away, she knew how to use the litter and gobbled down both wet and dry food. A quick visit to the vet showed that she just had a little weepiness in her eye and some ear mites, and a follow-up showed some normal kitten worms that a few days of medicine took care of. She can't have been outside for long, and considering how good she was already with litter and food, someone must've had her and just left her in the middle of the night.

Now, though, she's doing great. Runs all over the place, then falls asleep, then gives our older cat hell, then sleeps some more, then bites everything. She loves playing, and she's already turning into a really pretty girl. Haven't had any further health problems so far, but she'll be getting some shots today since she'll be at least nine weeks (we think) by now.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Squidtentacle posted:

Really hoping for the best for those of you with foster struggles.

Chili wanted me to share more about our own rescue, a little orange tabby named Geki. We found her about six weeks ago now on the way home from tabletop, just hiding in the grass on the side of a farmland road in the middle of the night, nobody anywhere near her. These are all pictures of her in the last couple of days, where she's grown a lot by now; she was just a little nugget then, not even bigger than my hands.

She was really spooked, but we got her bundled up in a sweater and she fell asleep almost immediately for the entire rest of the ride home. Right away, she knew how to use the litter and gobbled down both wet and dry food. A quick visit to the vet showed that she just had a little weepiness in her eye and some ear mites, and a follow-up showed some normal kitten worms that a few days of medicine took care of. She can't have been outside for long, and considering how good she was already with litter and food, someone must've had her and just left her in the middle of the night.

Now, though, she's doing great. Runs all over the place, then falls asleep, then gives our older cat hell, then sleeps some more, then bites everything. She loves playing, and she's already turning into a really pretty girl. Haven't had any further health problems so far, but she'll be getting some shots today since she'll be at least nine weeks (we think) by now.

:neckbeard:

that is a good orange catte

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
ORANGE LADY CATTE!!!

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Chili posted:

So I'm seeing a bit of bad news peppering up again, and while I do love the support we share for each other, it's important to remember that there are a lot of success stories!

Most of the time fostering is a delightful and enriching experience.

Remember, Butterscotch started off as a foster and he's a success! Well, he's at least been a success at ruining our lives.

Here's a story:

Last night, I got out of bed at around 3, with my wife and Butterscotch fast asleep next to me. I left my laptop on knowing I'd be right back. I was just getting a quick drink of water.

When I returned:

I swear he would've stayed like this for hours. Dude was loving out.

Why didn't he? Well, his resistance to strobe-induced nausea is not shared with my wife who woke up shortly thereafter and had to run to the bathroom to puke.

Thanks, Butterscotch, you're a true American hero.

He's trying to buy as much clothes as possible.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
So are you keeping Butterscotch permanently? :3:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Squidtentacle posted:

Runs all over the place, then falls asleep, then gives our older cat hell, then sleeps some more, then bites everything.

Sounds like you got yerself some sorta kitten there.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Wow! An orange female. Don't see that every day. She's a real cutie, too.

Keep up the awesome work, guys. I got my buddy Poyo (a.k.a. boopcat, the cat who boops you) from a rescue whose cats are all fostered. Her caregiver was a little brokenhearted but also excited when we adopted her. (I think she almost became a foster failure. She has a lovely personality. :3:)

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

RedTonic posted:

Wow! An orange female. Don't see that every day. She's a real cutie, too.

Keep up the awesome work, guys. I got my buddy Poyo (a.k.a. boopcat, the cat who boops you) from a rescue whose cats are all fostered. Her caregiver was a little brokenhearted but also excited when we adopted her. (I think she almost became a foster failure. She has a lovely personality. :3:)

She looks like she wants to boop. Boop her for me.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Thin Privilege posted:

She looks like she wants to boop. Boop her for me.

Duly booped! She promptly showed her belly even though I woke her up. It's never a trap. :kimchi:

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

RedTonic posted:

Duly booped! She promptly showed her belly even though I woke her up. It's never a trap. :kimchi:

:kimchi::kimchi::kimchi:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I had an interest experience in class today and I figured I'd share, I'm going into the nursing profession soon, they showed us a video of a 3D movie, its on youtube but I can't recall the title off hand.

It starts with an old lady living by herself, she gets a knock on the door and there's a package from her son with a note, which reads "Sorry I can't make but it here's something to keep you company", inside is a little robot that helps the old lady with chores and stuff, as they live together you see the little robot sort begins to humanize itself, it enjoys being with the old lady and seems really excited about a commercial to go to the circus, at one point we also see the old lady change its batteries, anyway fast forward a bit, the little robot is still doing its thing and the old lady comes home and gives the robot tickets to the circus, as you probably predicted already the old lady dies before they can go.

The video is very much open to interpretation but in a way it helped me understand the grief I've felt over the years because of the humanization aspect, in this case it was a robot but when does something become more than what it is, for most of us we see more than just animals, hell I always tell myself don't get attached but I say this then days later I'm pet smart picking out toys and I spend 20 minutes looking at the collars wondering if he's a purple or a red and like so much us tend to do we all have these hopes and dreams for them as well.

In that sense the movie really spoke to me when it ended because the robot wasn't able to go to the circus, much like I've had all these hopes and dreams for my own boys or my fosters and they wind up being unfulfilled.

Much like I discussed for, its important to care for yourself, but in the same vein you have to find the root of your sorrow and when you do you can truly heal, I honestly didn't realize it till I saw that movie why it hurt so much for me and now I do, and I think many of us can attest to those feelings. Anyway pardon by babbling it really touched me and I wanted to share it.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Thank you for sharing. :shobon:

I found the video -- "Changing Batteries" -- here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_yVo3YOfqQ

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009
As promised, I return with pictures of my cats...

all three of them.

Yes, three. My friends came with me to the pet store (which was showing cats from the county's animal services) to help me, and these three siblings were all so cute I was having trouble picking just two.
And then the shelter volunteers told me the cats were FREE today.

And I asked my friends, and one said "Well I'm just going to enable you and tell you to get all three."

So I gave in.

Meet George,

Henry,

and Emily.

Sorry the pics are kind of bad. I haven't been able to get good pictures of them yet: they're too wiggly! I'll work on it. Emily was a little shy at first, but she's gotten settled in nicely and cuddled with me in my chair for quite a while earlier. The two boys are funny. Right now they're watching TV. :)

They're a little over 3 months old, have been spayed and/or neutered, have all their shots (except rabies, which I have to get within the next month) and are microchipped. They're all very friendly and playing, and cuddly when they want to be.

So it wasn't the two cats of at least a year old that I had planned on, but they seem pretty chill and seem to like me, so I think it will be okay.

Wish me luck, folks.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

ZoeDomingo posted:

As promised, I return with pictures of my cats...

all three of them.

Yes, three. My friends came with me to the pet store (which was showing cats from the county's animal services) to help me, and these three siblings were all so cute I was having trouble picking just two.
And then the shelter volunteers told me the cats were FREE today.

And I asked my friends, and one said "Well I'm just going to enable you and tell you to get all three."

So I gave in.

Meet George,

Henry,

and Emily.

Sorry the pics are kind of bad. I haven't been able to get good pictures of them yet: they're too wiggly! I'll work on it. Emily was a little shy at first, but she's gotten settled in nicely and cuddled with me in my chair for quite a while earlier. The two boys are funny. Right now they're watching TV. :)

They're a little over 3 months old, have been spayed and/or neutered, have all their shots (except rabies, which I have to get within the next month) and are microchipped. They're all very friendly and playing, and cuddly when they want to be.

So it wasn't the two cats of at least a year old that I had planned on, but they seem pretty chill and seem to like me, so I think it will be okay.

Wish me luck, folks.

Your enabling friend is a drat hero and you are now 1/3rd of the way to being a crazy cat person. Congrats!

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009
These kittens are adorable.

However.

I'm really stressed out. They keep clawing at my legs and pulling my hair. One of them leaped up me earlier, clawing small bloody holes all over my torso. I'm saying "No!" very firmly, and sometimes following up with a clap. It seems to startle all the kittens except the one who's doing the thing I'm trying to stop.

Also, they knocked down the curtains in "their" room today, and I'm scared they're going to get hurt somehow. I had a friend with me when I brought them home Sunday, and she looked around the room and said it looked pretty kitten-proof. Obviously, we were wrong.

I really like them, but I'm feeling overwhelmed. I know it's only been a few days, and everyone tells me (and everything I've read online says) that it's normal to feel this way. But I'm afraid I'm not doing a good job.

Does anyone have any advice or can point me somewhere I can learn more about how to deal with them? I feel like a failure. :(

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

ZoeDomingo posted:

However.

I'm really stressed out. They keep clawing at my legs and pulling my hair. One of them leaped up me earlier, clawing small bloody holes all over my torso. I'm saying "No!" very firmly, and sometimes following up with a clap. It seems to startle all the kittens except the one who's doing the thing I'm trying to stop.

Also, they knocked down the curtains in "their" room today, and I'm scared they're going to get hurt somehow. I had a friend with me when I brought them home Sunday, and she looked around the room and said it looked pretty kitten-proof. Obviously, we were wrong.

I really like them, but I'm feeling overwhelmed. I know it's only been a few days, and everyone tells me (and everything I've read online says) that it's normal to feel this way. But I'm afraid I'm not doing a good job.

Does anyone have any advice or can point me somewhere I can learn more about how to deal with them? I feel like a failure. :(

A single kitten is an incredible handful. We (I say we, but mostly my girlfriend) get scratched all the time by Geki, and repeated discouragement, clapping, and even spritzing only works so much. The curtains get tiny claw holes, but spritzing has at least started discouraging that some.

Make sure any curtains in the room are secure, or just go ahead and remove them. Keep a spray bottle around with cool water, and aim for the head when they're doing something they should not be doing at all. Clawing, getting up in places you don't want, sharpening on things. Keep them around you if you can, so you can be attentive to what they're doing, but also don't stress too much if you can't. They have each other around, so you're not as necessary for distraction as if you only had one.

And don't beat yourself up about it too much! Kittens are rough, and it feels like you need to give them incredible attention, but you're doing better than you think.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

ZoeDomingo posted:

However.

enhance your calm friend. You are just overwhelmed because its new.

Kittens are sharp and pokey. not a lot of getting around this at first (long sleeves and pants, or just rock the scars with pride until your whole arms are gloriously calloused) especially since they themselves have little to no claw control at first and have new surroundings people and everything.... things are gonna be absolute chaos at first until they figure out their little hierarchy and where you fit into it.

kittens will climb curtains (andd really anything they can at first) and will leap headfirst into certain doom because they are dumb as poo poo.

you are doing fine, its just new for everyone concerned.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

ZoeDomingo posted:

However.

Is it possible for you to trim their claws? Those needles are drat sharp. Getting them used to having their nails done would actually be a huge bonus for their owners in the future. If you don't know how, there are a lot of good youtube videos, but honestly all you really need to do is burrito them up in a towel and pull one paw out at a time. DO NOT use people nail trimmers; they will crush the nail. Cat/dog ones are super affordable.

Do they have anything in the room they're ALLOWED to claw at? They definitely need a scratching outlet.

Good for you, you're doing great! It's overwhelming at first but it will get better.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

porkswordonboard posted:

Is it possible for you to trim their claws? Those needles are drat sharp. Getting them used to having their nails done would actually be a huge bonus for their owners in the future. If you don't know how, there are a lot of good youtube videos, but honestly all you really need to do is burrito them up in a towel and pull one paw out at a time. DO NOT use people nail trimmers; they will crush the nail. Cat/dog ones are super affordable.

Do they have anything in the room they're ALLOWED to claw at? They definitely need a scratching outlet.

these are good points.

its good to get them used to having their paws handled and their claws popped out, makes it a lot easier for the future person who does the nails (or you)

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009
I have a couple of scratching post things for them, and I'm planning on getting a tower as well. I've been trying to get them used to me handling their paws so that I can clip their claws. Also, they haven't had their rabies shot yet, so I thought I'd ask the vet to clip the claws at the same time and get some pointers. But I may have to go ahead and try myself. What kind of clippers do y'all recommend?

Here's the little claw monster, George:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
literally all you need are these

less than five bucks like at anyplace. they dont need deluxe massaging handles or anything.

just take the sharp pointy tips off the nails for now, youll get a good idea further as you get some practice, make sure the paw is still when you cut and cut clean and quick.

youll be fine its easy.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

I also heavily recommend toys if you don't have them yet. They need that kind of outlet too, but don't just toss whatever in there. I'd suggest seeing what they react to most; bells, feathers, fluff, shapes? If it's something they can enjoy without you around, that's perfect.

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009
Thanks, folks!

I got them some toys. They like the little stuffed mice, and the balls with bells in them. It was a feather thingy on a fishing-rod type stick that had George scaling me like a skyscraper, so he definitely liked that. I have a couple of scratching things. I'm slowly getting more toys.

I'll get those clippers. I have to go to the pet store tomorrow anyway. I accidentally spilled one of the litter boxes when I was putting it back after scooping it out and so I'm now out of cat litter (though I had enough to refill the box). :/

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

ZoeDomingo posted:

Thanks, folks!

I got them some toys. They like the little stuffed mice, and the balls with bells in them. It was a feather thingy on a fishing-rod type stick that had George scaling me like a skyscraper, so he definitely liked that. I have a couple of scratching things. I'm slowly getting more toys.

I'll get those clippers. I have to go to the pet store tomorrow anyway. I accidentally spilled one of the litter boxes when I was putting it back after scooping it out and so I'm now out of cat litter (though I had enough to refill the box). :/

Naturally, the thread has already provided you with a lot of top tier guidance. One other quick tip. Get a kitten uniform. I do this and it's the best. Loose fitting sweats, put them on over whatever you're wearing before you interact with the kittens, interact with kittens, leave space, shed the uniform, leave the uniform in a point by door. Trust me on this. Sweats are a kitty's best friend.

Chili fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Aug 25, 2016

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

As a present to our permanent cats for dealing with this year's crop of kittens, we bought them a new, taller cat tree. Let's see if future babies are willing to climb up six feet to harass them.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

LivesInGrey posted:

As a present to our permanent cats for dealing with this year's crop of kittens, we bought them a new, taller cat tree. Let's see if future babies are willing to climb up six feet to harass them.

You know the answer to that.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Re: trimming kittens claws just remember they are tiny and wee at the moment so not having claws to climb is going to really curtail their upward mobility for everything. Generally that's a good thing - our legs were certainly less painful - but we felt bad after clipping our fosters nails and watching them slam into the bed and couch repeatedly trying and failing to climb them.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Tamarillo posted:

Re: trimming kittens claws just remember they are tiny and wee at the moment so not having claws to climb is going to really curtail their upward mobility for everything. Generally that's a good thing - our legs were certainly less painful - but we felt bad after clipping our fosters nails and watching them slam into the bed and couch repeatedly trying and failing to climb them.

Yeah. Can't say it's something we've ever done. Also, you have to remember that when cats are babies they're learning all of their social behaviors by interacting with their littermates. So while it may seem like it would be a good idea to trim their nails and keep them from hurting each other, what you really want is for kitten a to scratch kitten b and then for kitten b to go all "oh no you didn't" and scratch him back. That's how they grow up not to be tremendous assholes. Letting them keep the tools to cause harm now will make them more peaceful later.

But like I said earlier. Get kitten armor. Loose fitting sweats.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

LivesInGrey posted:

We had kittens at one point and the older cats would knock the kittens straight off the cat tree.

They'd fall, wailing all the way, bounce off the ground then climb the cat tree again to get another dose of rear end-beating.

So at least it will be more entertaining for the existing cats.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
"Orange one's trying it, Frank."

"Okay, Molly."

"It's your turn to knock it down, Frank."

"I know, Molly! Give me a second, all right? Jeez."

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Alright I have a stable income stream and I want to get an animal from a rescue (since this is a rescue thread I think). Is there any kind of things I should be looking for when I'm going through the rescue process? There seems to be a ton of resources available, but part of my brain is going "I go and I get kitty/puppy and they're immediately happy with no problems at all". That might be the case but very likely it won't be.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

ZenVulgarity posted:

Alright I have a stable income stream and I want to get an animal from a rescue (since this is a rescue thread I think). Is there any kind of things I should be looking for when I'm going through the rescue process? There seems to be a ton of resources available, but part of my brain is going "I go and I get kitty/puppy and they're immediately happy with no problems at all". That might be the case but very likely it won't be.

uhm as far as rescues go, i have noticed most tend to be breed specific unless you run into the odd one that doesnt care about breeds or species or whatever. If you go with a specific breed rescue, learn something about the specific breed and pick the breed according to your activity patterns, lifestyle, exercise level and the amount of space they require (especially in the case of larger dogs) and whether its a good fit for your family/roommates as well as your living situation.

cats are (no offence my lovely cat people) pretty easy in most cases (except litter boxes are gross and stuff) they are pretty self reliant when it comes to eating and drinking and sleeping and may want pets or plays depending on age and temperament. kittens are a bit more work as recent posts will illustrate, but this too passes and then you have a nice catte.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

ZenVulgarity posted:

^SneakyFrog's right up there, but I'm going to expound a little further:

This is completely my own opinion, but I don't recommend getting a dog if you haven't done EXTENSIVE research, have had them before, or spend a lot of time with someone who has one. Dogs, especially rescues, are going to be 10x more complicated than a cat, as well as more expensive. It would involve a LOT of your time. You'd need to have a decent savings cushion for adoption fees/food/accessories/toys/vet bills etc, time for walks, training classes, and socialization, daycare or kenneling if you travel, etc etc. Seriously weigh every one of those considerations before thinking about adopting a dog, and if you do, I don't recommend getting a puppy. I can't count the amount of times I've seen someone adopt a puppy on little more than a whim and having had a family dog as a kid, and the results can be DISASTROUS.

If you're dead set on a dog, try adopting one that's 2 years or older, as their personalities are more settled. Well-run rescues will be able to help match your living situation, energy level, and other considerations to dogs that might fit well with your lifestyle. I generally discourage people from glomming onto a single breed as The Only Option, because they you get people who don't want to take a lot of walks adopting Australian Shepherds, people who can't pay a groomer getting a Poodle, or people who think Chihuahuas don't need to be trained and end up with a bitey little shithead. If you're interested, I'm sure that people here would be happy to recommend a few breeds that might fit your lifestyle, but every dog is different, and breeding is never a guarantee of personality.

That said, and while it's 100% up to you, I think a cat might be a great choice, which is is awesome because cats rock! Most of the above advice is just as applicable to cats, too. Go to your local shelter and let them know about your living situation and what you're looking for in a companion, and if they're worth their salt they'll help match you with some potential friends. Cats are less expensive, generally much more adaptable, can be left at home for longer periods, and are still an awesome addition to any house. Anyone who thinks cat's aren't affectionate, don't care about you, or don't get as attached to you as a dog is so wrong it's almost funny.

Good luck, and don't forget to post pics when you get 'em!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Im just gonna say that this is the best thread :unsmith: since there isnt an :unsmithfrog:

katka
Apr 18, 2008

:roboluv::h: :awesomelon: :h::roboluv:
I was sent to this thread, so I'm gonna just cross post this from the cat megathread

katka posted:

So long story short I've ended up with a 3 or 4 day old kitten. I took her to the vet and he said she looks ok and have me a can of KMR and a bottle to feed her.

So far she had been ok. She's been waking up crying for food and eating just about every two hours on the dot. We couldn't get her to poop so I took her back to the vet today and they were able to grt her to poop and said that she was just a little backed up. Hopefully everything will go easy now.

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice for caring for a kitten this small? I've never had a pet that I had to bottle feed before or this small and young before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

katka posted:

I was sent to this thread, so I'm gonna just cross post this from the cat megathread

hi, welcome!

In the first post in the thread, there's a lovely high-protein high-calorie formula that I always recommend and use.

I gotta warn you now, though: newborn kittens NEED their moms. They feed around the clock, stopping only to sleep and readjust their positions. Mama cat is also probably experienced in getting them to eliminate, too. I couldn't get the kitten I was taking care of to poop, so that may have been part of his problem. But yeah, kittens are super delicate in the first four weeks of life, and aren't remotely out of the woods until they're about 1 year old.

Put a heating pad where she sleeps, with blankets on and around it. Keep her out of drafts, and try to minimize noise if possible. Wash her after every feeding with baby wipes, you can also use them to get her to poop or pee.

I can't think of much else besides that. :unsmith: good luck with your tiny princess!