Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

the_lion posted:

I'm interested in this.
How are you resetting the sd2snes from the pad exactly? I have the 8bitdo pad but haven't shelled for the wireless yet.

Press L, R, select and X at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Press L, R, select and X at the same time.

Awesome! :D
Well, off to buy that wireless module then!
Initially, I thought the 8bitdo wireless was a gimmick but being able to reset the sd2snes would be sick when you have mates around or hung over / can't be arsed getting off the couch.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Stolen from the cosplay thread because it made me laugh:

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

I just wanted to say that anyone with an SNES has to buy the SNES30 and the newly released Bluetooth receiver for it. I updated the firmware to both of them and they work perfectly. It is so, so liberating and cool to be able to play a real SNES with a controller as good as the original but without wires. In game reset with the sd2snes is the ultimate in hedonism.

I tried a ton of different games and all worked perfectly. Absolutely zero lag and recall that I'm the guy constantly bitching that there's too much lag when using wireless controllers on Android.

Also kind of funny is I assumed because the receiver had a micro USB port that it had to be charged. No, it is just in case you want to use it as a receiver on the PC. It actually gets the proper voltage from the SNES, which I was surprised it could do.

So far the receiver is only available on 8bitdo's ebay page. I received it in less than a week.
Yeah, I can't say enough nice things about the SNES30 and the SNES RR. Once they got that firmware patch out, they have been perfect. They even work on my gamecube with the RaphNet adapater, so I can play GBA games wirelessly with an SNES controller. Pretty slick!

I also picked up the NES30 and the NES RR. The RR works great, but the NES30 doesn't quite have the same build quality that the SNES30 does. The plastic feels a little cheaper, and the D pad is pretty loose and wiggles around in the slot. The membrane for the D pad also isn't perfect, one of the directions (up) is a bit mushy compared to the others. It's still good enough to use, but it let me down a little after seeing how perfectly they nailed the SNES30.

I also messed around with pairing a Wii U pro controller and a Dual Shock 4. Not sure I'd want to play that way, but they both worked great.

Power Smith
Aug 23, 2011

Was doing my usual "daydreaming about buying an MVS cab and searching local craigslist for one" and came across maybe the most depressing thing I've seen on that website

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Power Smith posted:

Was doing my usual "daydreaming about buying an MVS cab and searching local craigslist for one" and came across maybe the most depressing thing I've seen on that website

I don't know why someone would do that but ehh, the cab itself is probably fine?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I had a 32 inch Philips CRT HDTV about ten years ago and man do I miss that TV. All my old consoles looked great, had my computer hooked up through vga, it didn't have HDMI but had a couple component inputs and when viewing HD stuff it was miles ahead in picture quality in comparison with the LCDs and rear projection screens of the time.

Before that I had a really lovely one from a brand called Prima that had geometry issues and bad flickering so all CRT HDTVs weren't good but that Philips was amazing. I loved to England and couldn't take it with me and when I moved back to the states technology had moved on and CRT based HDTVs didn't really exist anymore.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

d0s posted:

e: has anyone else noticed that this is one of the few hardware-centered hobbies where you're not constantly chasing upgrades beyond a few really simple things? like once you get RGB out on a halfway decent CRT or upscaler you're pretty much done forever and don't have to worry that you're missing out on some higher level of quality or whatever. I'm also into photography and people go nuts sinking absurd amounts of money into upgrades that seem neverending, it's pretty much a cliche with anything audio related, even watching things like EEVblog there are dudes regularly shelling out thousands for better scopes and multimeters and poo poo.

I would love to get to that stage. I usually cycle my hobbies and concentrate on gaming for ~1yr, then guitar ~1, then my car, the PC's, etc. Seems like I am always upgrading (or changing) hardware in something. Though I am finally settling down on things I think. I have downsized my guitar gear to what I am happy with and probably won't do much upgrading unless I start another band. Now that I have a kid, I've been considering selling my car to get something more family friendly. Video games are a constant upgrade/change/selling/repurchasing of consoles and hardware. Lately, VR has been intriguing me, so plan to build a new PC in 2017 and get a HTC Vive, but that will be after we buy a house.

So I am going to order my SCART cables for Playstation, Xbox and the SCART to BNC adapter. I will just get the sync on Luma for the playstation since I am sure my Sony PVM-14m4u won't have issues with it, even if c-sync is better. My question is, since my SNES cable is C-sync and the Xbox cable is C-sync, should I get the standard BNC adapter or the BNC adapter with the built in sync separator? Or since my PVM isn't one of the ones they listed as requiring C-sync, does it even matter?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
So I got to have a nice long conversation with the owner of the SNES CD. This is the dad, not the son. Anyway, really nice guy. He is fully aware of Secret of Mana CD and its history and he is very determined to get a copy somehow. I thought it was really cool that he was so into the history and possibilities. He's actually a huge video game fan but simply didn't know what he had at the time.

As far as he knows, the remaining 199 were destroyed as no one else has come forward with one. Also the replacement laser cost like $400 and he should have it installed soon. Also of interest is that he is not a rich man but has absolutely no interest in selling it.

I was more excited meeting an inanimate object than I was the time I met Method Man.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

So I got to have a nice long conversation with the owner of the SNES CD. This is the dad, not the son. Anyway, really nice guy. He is fully aware of Secret of Mana CD and its history and he is very determined to get a copy somehow. I thought it was really cool that he was so into the history and possibilities. He's actually a huge video game fan but simply didn't know what he had at the time.

As far as he knows, the remaining 199 were destroyed as no one else has come forward with one. Also the replacement laser cost like $400 and he should have it installed soon. Also of interest is that he is not a rich man but has absolutely no interest in selling it.

I was more excited meeting an inanimate object than I was the time I met Method Man.

The fact that the Play Station was almost a thing makes me wonder what the video game landscape would look like today if it had been released.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

XYZ posted:

The fact that the Play Station was almost a thing makes me wonder what the video game landscape would look like today if it had been released.

Well it was supposed to come out in like 92 right? Maybe Sony would have still released a console. It would have just had a different name was all. Unless their agreement would prevent that? Honestly I'd really like to see the actual add on. Especially the US version. I'm sure it doesn't exist though. It would have probably just looked like that bicycle attachment add on with a CD tray.

I'm not surprised Nintendo backed out because supposedly Sony would own all the rights to software released on it.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

XYZ posted:

It probably would have been the Nintendo equivalent of the Sega CD or 3DO. CD audio (good), lots of storage space (good), but still not enough system horsepower to really do anything useful or radical with it (bad). So maybe it would have gotten a few good exclusives, and a few souped versions of cartridge-only games, and maybe a shitload of FMV games, but not much more that.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Still the SNES is the greatest console ever in my opinion. And I would have loved to see how some games would have turned out for it.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Kthulhu5000 posted:

It probably would have been the Nintendo equivalent of the Sega CD or 3DO. CD audio (good), lots of storage space (good), but still not enough system horsepower to really do anything useful or radical with it (bad). So maybe it would have gotten a few good exclusives, and a few souped versions of cartridge-only games, and maybe a shitload of FMV games, but not much more that.

Ya this is the most likely scenario. So much "Multimedia! FMV!" shovelware in that time.

Still the SNES is the greatest console ever in my opinion. And I would have loved to see how some games would have turned out for it.

:same:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yeah, the PCE-CD got in that game so early that I don't think the Play Station would've made a huge impact. Maybe it would've been a hit in Japan with visual novels and anime licensed games but we would've seen the same general shovelware in the West.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Maybe "Plumbers Don't Wear Ties" would have seen a SNES-CD release. :v:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
More interesting though, would Sony have attempted to make their own consoles if the add-on failed to catch on?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Mercury Crusader posted:

More interesting though, would Sony have attempted to make their own consoles if the add-on failed to catch on?

I don't want to think of a Vita-less present.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I can't decide whether or not Sony would make their own console in this what if scenario, though I'm leaning toward them becoming a manufacturer of other companies consoles for a while, like how the 3DO worked with Panasonic and Goldstar. The other question is who would make the jump to a disc only based console first? My bet is Sega wanting to get there before Nintendo.

I have nothing to back this up really, just pure speculation.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
There were already a few CD-only consoles prior to the PlayStation and Saturn, such as the 3DO and I guess arguably the Philips CD-i. I wonder if the Saturn would've managed better in the US if it was just them and the Nintendo 64 squaring off, with both competitors having (presumably) failed add-ons under their belts.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Mercury Crusader posted:

They likely still would have. Even if the evidence suggested that the 16-bit consoles were premature in being able to fully utilize the capabilities of CD, that evidence also showed where things could possibly go right (likely with better video hardware, faster CPUs, and more RAM). And Sony still had evidence of the CD-ROM's potential on the PC side of gaming, where the greater hardware specs showed what could be done when developers weren't crunched for processing power and RAM. Sony also had its own publishing division, Sony Imagesoft, that would have given them some insights into what developers were looking for in terms of development potential.

I suspect the prime factor would have been if Nintendo had given strong, early indications in 1993 that they were releasing a next-gen console, and then announced a launch in time period from the middle of 1994 to early 1995. Then Sony would have viewed its console plans as having to be part of a three-way bout between itself and the established players of Nintendo and Sega, which would have been discouraging. Nintendo not having any strong console platform on the immediate horizon (Virtual Boy aside) probably gave Sony the confidence to launch the Playstation.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Personally, I think that if the SNES-CD got released, without the soured business relationship between Sony and Nintendo, that might have pushed Nintendo to use CD's for the N64 instead of cartridges.

But with Sega dropping the ball with the Saturn, and there not really being an alternative to Nintendo/Sony, we'd probably see a return to NES-era Nintendo, for better or worse.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Instant Sunrise posted:

Personally, I think that if the SNES-CD got released, without the soured business relationship between Sony and Nintendo, that might have pushed Nintendo to use CD's for the N64 instead of cartridges.

But with Sega dropping the ball with the Saturn, and there not really being an alternative to Nintendo/Sony, we'd probably see a return to NES-era Nintendo, for better or worse.

The Sega Saturn was capable of running games solely off the cartridge, even though that never really got used (since Sony was already hyping up all that great CD-audio, video etc stuff), so probably that alternate timeline's N64 does the same thing: both a cartridge slot that barely gets used and CDs for most games.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Instant Sunrise posted:

To be fair, the Saturn bombing in the West was because SEGA NA panicked about the PS1, released it early before any Western publishers had anything ready for it which caused a mass exodus of support from them. Then SEGA hired Bernie Stolar who was behind the PS1's launch, who held the opinion that 2D games were passe and only 3D games should be localized and since the Saturn did 2D games great and 3D games... ehhhh the library in the west suffered.

The 32X still would've bombed hard regardless.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I do want to see the alternate world where cartridges were the primary delivery medium with CDs being enhancements with disc speeds being fast enough that you didn't get *new scene, disc drive audibly spins up, music kicks in 10 seconds later*

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Wouldn't the obvious result be Hotel Mario for the SNES CD?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
If Sony didn't break into the console game back in 1994, I think the bigger question is who would really push 3D games. Neither the Saturn nor the N64 were particularly good at 3D, and there's good evidence that both were going to be considerably more 2D focused before Sony started throwing around their 3D claims.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Light Gun Man posted:

Wouldn't the obvious result be Hotel Mario for the SNES CD?

Nope. Nintendo had a contract with Philips. To weasel out of it, they let them make a Mario and three Zelda games for the CDi. That's the only reason those garbage games exist.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Elliotw2 posted:

If Sony didn't break into the console game back in 1994, I think the bigger question is who would really push 3D games. Neither the Saturn nor the N64 were particularly good at 3D, and there's good evidence that both were going to be considerably more 2D focused before Sony started throwing around their 3D claims.

The PC Master Race :colbert: . Both the popularity of DOOM (not really 3D, but close enough) and the high profile of Quake would have ignited a lot of scrambling on the console side of things, I suspect, regardless of what Sega and Nintendo's official plans were.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

I'd be interested in seeing how they used the native SNES sound capability.

I was playing the PSx remake of Lunar last month and I realized that the drat basic attack/damage/deflect sounds come from that farty FM Synth library on the Genesis.
So basically I'm imagining WorkingDesigns games paired with sound that wasn't terrible and a color palette worth something.

As for life without PlayStation?
Resident Evil probably wouldn't have happened, and that was huge in getting people excited for the possibilities of 3D games. Silent Hill might have worked on the N64 thanks to the fog, but the demonic content probably would have been changed. We wouldn't have the poorly voiced MegaMan X sequels, we'd lose a lot of those weird games that were able to be made because of the freshness of the system (PaRappa, Wipeout, 3d fighters).

Most notably:
Not sure what Metal Gear Solid would have looked like, but it wouldn't have had the rich fully voiced dialogue that made it a milestone. 3D Open World Concept games would be stuck on the Mario64 model without GTA3 coming to the PS.
And don't even get started on what FF7 would have turned out to be.

d0s posted:

e: has anyone else noticed that this is one of the few hardware-centered hobbies where you're not constantly chasing upgrades beyond a few really simple things?
EH. I feel like this is only really applicable because of the nature of the hobby. You're chasing after depreciated/obsolete tech, so the high-end of it seems like finding ways to finagle it to be acceptable at modern standards and with modern connection types. In 10 years when the TVs do SuperHDR+ at 16K we'll be evolving boardhacks and mods to go with that.

Like, you could be perfectly content with a NES running composite/mono and a handful of old games, but then you look into clipping the 10NES Lockout and while you're at it you probably go and pick up a new 72 pin connector and then you learn that there's an HD-NES mod with integrated HDMI out that renders pixel-perfect on your screen and then you figure well I could use a wireless control setup too and well I kind of don't NEED the entire library but I can fit it to a 10Mb thumbdrive I have from high school so sure where can I pick up a MasterTendo Cart...

And now that you have the god-emperor NES you start thinking this Dreamcast on Craigslist is $20 and probably just needs a swapped out disc drive and the USB DreamCart mod is only $175 and...

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 14, 2016

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Resident Evil would have worked, since RE2 was on the N64 and the Sega Saturn had the first game.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Nope. Nintendo had a contract with Philips. To weasel out of it, they let them make a Mario and three Zelda games for the CDi. That's the only reason those garbage games exist.

That was in the contract from the beginning, that Philips would get to use Mario and other Nintendo properties on anything they wanted for a certain time period. Even if the SNES CD project had succeeded, Philips would still be putting out Nintendo-licensed games on the already in progress CD-i.

Elliotw2 posted:

Uh, no. The N64 was very good at 3D, the only problem was Nintendo skimped on the texture cache for no reason so it couldn't apply high quality textures to the high quality and fast 3D rendering, unless you were a very good developer.

The PlayStation and Saturn both were really quite terrible at 3D rendering in different ways. Sony just forced it anyway. It's why way more PlayStation 3D games, proportionately, are just completely unbearable to look at these days compared to among the N64 library.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

fishmech posted:

The N64 was very good at 3D, the only problem was Nintendo skimped on the texture cache for no reason so it couldn't apply high quality textures to the high quality and fast 3D rendering, unless you were a very good developer.
That's really the thing's greatest sin (Turok fog aside). Unless it was very deliberately designed around, like with Mario64's colorful aesthetic, the N64 catalogue looked like someone had gone over everything with a smudge tool.

The PSx makes everything look like it's hewn from ultrajagged stone that had about 10 sharpen masks applied to it, though.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

fishmech posted:

Uh, no. The N64 was very good at 3D, the only problem was Nintendo skimped on the texture cache for no reason so it couldn't apply high quality textures to the high quality and fast 3D rendering, unless you were a very good developer.

The PlayStation and Saturn both were really quite terrible at 3D rendering in different ways. Sony just forced it anyway. It's why way more PlayStation 3D games, proportionately, are just completely unbearable to look at these days compared to among the N64 library.

Something that people don't seem to realize is how quickly tech was changing in the 1990's. Essentially a whole bunch of really great but immature technologies that would be good for video games were created around 1990 and then all of them improved constantly. The technology in the Playstation was middling quality for 1994. It was laughably out of date by 1996 when the N64 came out. The N64 was essentially full hardware generation ahead of the Playstation in terms of what was inside it. It just wasn't well engineered, unlike the Playstation which was well designed based on what they were working with.

The Saturn, however, was always a Frankenstein machine.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Was the N64 really good at fast rendering? They farmed it out to a render farm company and even ignoring the texture issues, the N64 seems to have trouble rendering anything quickly. Even the games where Rare and Factor 5 did their own microcode and used every ounce of power they could wring out of the N64 kinda run like loving trash.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Elliotw2 posted:

Was the N64 really good at fast rendering? They farmed it out to a render farm company and even ignoring the texture issues, the N64 seems to have trouble rendering anything quickly. Even the games where Rare and Factor 5 did their own microcode and used every ounce of power they could wring out of the N64 kinda run like loving trash.

It was slower than it should have been because the GPU microcode was designed to render at an insanely high level of precision that wasn't really necessary for the resolution it was rendering at. Add to that the use of high-bandwidth high-latency RDRAM, which was cut in half at the last minute because of chip shortages, and the already mentioned tiny texture cache, you had a powerful system with some serious bottlenecks.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world
I remember them saying that they would try to get Super Boss Gaiden running from the cd drive once they get the laser installed. Can't wait to see it running on the console without it running from the Cartridge slot through a repro

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Elliotw2 posted:

The N64 was as good at fast rendering as the PlayStation or Saturn was - as in most developers weren't skilled enough for it, especially early on in its life and for low-budget companies. Most PlayStation games ran like trash, most Saturn games ran like trash.

More N64 developers did seek to try to impress by higher resolution rendering, resulting in necessarily lower frame rates on otherwise identical scenes (it kinda helped to make up for terrible textures if the shapes themselves still looked nicer). That wasn't a tradeoff they weren't forced to do though, it was a stylistic choice.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

FilthyImp posted:

That's really the thing's greatest sin (Turok fog aside). Unless it was very deliberately designed around, like with Mario64's colorful aesthetic, the N64 catalogue looked like someone had gone over everything with a smudge tool.

The PSx makes everything look like it's hewn from ultrajagged stone that had about 10 sharpen masks applied to it, though.

Reminder that someone discovered an Action Replay code for the N64 recently that gets rid of the blur garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Well, it's various gameshark codes, for specific games, that disables one of like 5 passes of bilinear filtering.

You can pair it with the ultrahdmi's deblur filters and rom patches to completely remove the blur and see all the sharp polygons and dithered textures you want.

• Locked thread