Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

tuyop posted:

What are these other games? Asking for a friend.

a7m2 posted:

Spacebase DF-9, Gnomoria, Towns, Stonehearth, etc. All disappointing in their own ways.
Also Craft the World and Factorio. Sort of but not really Don't Starve.

Factorio and Don't Starve are both excellent games.

rizzen posted:

Does this go on sale at all? I'm curious about it, since it looks just the right amount of ridiculous.

I would be shocked if the game ever goes on sale for more than 10% off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Well, the nice thing about Randy Random is you can have a combination of events happen in hilariously fortuitous ways; like a large raider group suddenly get roflstomped by a manhunting pack of muffalo for example. I have way more times that there are friendly/neutral groups on the map when enemies spawn, which helps a great deal as well.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Do you guys usually craft weapons late game or pull them off corpses?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

MadJackal posted:

Corpse guns are rarely if ever quality level normal or above; you end up getting tons of shoddy ones.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

MadJackal posted:

If you have the resources and skill, you're much better off making your own. Most melee weapons can be made from wood, which is a cheap material to 'farm' up skill. Once you get 15+ in crafting you can make some really good weapons.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
When doing a tribal start those first few guns are really useful. Obviously they won't be as good as crafted ones you can make, but you probably won't beeline to guns when there's so many other things you need to get so you won't die.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Definitely craft if you can spare the resources and have a good crafter, if you don't have a good crafter, don't bother. Essentially a good crafter gives you the chance to roll a stacked die for high quality guns, whereas raiders just roll any old poo poo and have a good chance of bringing damaged guns as well.

You're more likely to get higher end stuff with skilled crafting and you can pick the kind of gun you want, but getting there can take a while.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

TropicalCoke posted:

You say that but when the 40 tribesmen come and burn down your base, you will hate Randy Random.

I'm still mad about that. Watching of hours of work burn as it was desperately put out by the remaining colonists, who promptly went insane, was disheartening. But that's Rim World.

If Randy Random is sending 40 tribesman your way, you should be equipped to deal with them. I have never seen him role with tons of dudes in his raids on Rough and even then he rarely rolls double raids from the same faction. I have had him throw multiple raids at me but they gladly killed each other/got steamrolled by a pack of Manhunter Elephants/Megathrodans/Thrumbos.

Also had him throw a caravan, then a raid and the caravan turned hostile on me because of infighting amongst themselves. Right inside my killbox.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

a7m2 posted:

Spacebase DF-9, Gnomoria, Towns, Stonehearth, etc. All disappointing in their own ways.

How about http://store.steampowered.com/app/328080/

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 13, 2016

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

That game looks really neat, I might give it a go. DF/RTS hybrid is something new.

All of the Dorf Fort spinoffs have been really underwhelming though, yeah. Even Rimworld, while better than most of the rest, got bland and boring after a while in a way that DF never could because of its depth. It still has a lot of potential to get better though!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I know this is kind of a niche complaint but seriously, how are steel walls 40% flammable? How do you catch steel on fire?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I know this is kind of a niche complaint but seriously, how are steel walls 40% flammable? How do you catch steel on fire?

Something something jet fuel

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I wish there was a version of combat realism without ammo management. I'd like to play around with the combat balance changes but I really can't be hosed to deal with managing 50000 different types of ammo and making sure my colonists aren't too stupid to remember to pick up bullets.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I had some prick colonist who was staggeringly ugly and kept getting in fights with other colonists. So I tried to kill him off. Mining accident, didn't take. Fighting a boomalope with one hand, he won and survived the explosion and fire. Fighting a grizzly, survived. I managed to pry every body part off him aside from ones critical to living, still survived through 6 or 7 surgeries. Finally I ended up removing his heart just to put the poor bastard out of his misery.

After he died, my colonists threw a party. Seemed appropriate.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Why won't my refrigeration room refrigerate? I have the temp set to 32F. The food that's in there says it's not refrigerated. Thanks for any help.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Lorini posted:

Why won't my refrigeration room refrigerate? I have the temp set to 32F. The food that's in there says it's not refrigerated. Thanks for any help.

You need to have the cold side set to the interior of the room (blue) and the exhaust set to the outside (red) on a wall. You're literally just recycling heat back into the room you're trying to cool.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Party Plane Jones posted:

You need to have the cold side set to the interior of the room (blue) and the exhaust set to the outside (red) on a wall. You're literally just recycling heat back into the room you're trying to cool.

Thanks!!! Off to try that.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

You have the longest rooms I have ever seen, why?

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Nuclear War posted:

Just had an amazing start with the rich explorer. Found a literally perfect place to hole up and start getting rich....and then he got malaria and died. No matter how far back i went on the autosaves he would always get malaria at that same point. Weird as poo poo, and it really makes me miss a mod or ingame support for self-medicating as a last resort

I think this is great.

He died of malaria. It's a rougelike.. basically.. so when you've finally got a good sword that you've got the skill for and a couple of other goodies, you're very likely to be killed around the next corner. If you're alone and you get struck down by some epic condition, you're hosed. Even that retarded tribal you killed a few days ago, the one that just kept saying 'uffnuff' over and over, he could have at least gotten you a glass of loving water. Now you're going to die here, while your Mum back on the glitterword wonders if you're doing ok.

There is the dev menu, just open that and fix yourself if you want to cheat. I'd prefer to roll a guy that didn't die like a little bitch the second he was alone.

Viral Warfare
Aug 4, 2010

~~a n d I a m c a l m~~

Tony Montana posted:

I think this is great.

He died of malaria. It's a rougelike.. basically.. so when you've finally got a good sword that you've got the skill for and a couple of other goodies, you're very likely to be killed around the next corner. If you're alone and you get struck down by some epic condition, you're hosed. Even that retarded tribal you killed a few days ago, the one that just kept saying 'uffnuff' over and over, he could have at least gotten you a glass of loving water. Now you're going to die here, while your Mum back on the glitterword wonders if you're doing ok.

There is the dev menu, just open that and fix yourself if you want to cheat. I'd prefer to roll a guy that didn't die like a little bitch the second he was alone.

thats dumb, treatment for malaria is literally taking a pill, do you always need your mommy to give you your pills?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Having decent turrets and a moat makes most sieges/raids easy as cake. Guess I better up the difficulty.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

DreamShipWrecked posted:

You have the longest rooms I have ever seen, why?

Don't know, just was thinking I might add something (??) to them later.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Lorini posted:

Don't know, just was thinking I might add something (??) to them later.

Unless you've added in the More Furniture mod, all you need for a good bedroom is a 5x5 area, a heater (if it gets cold/wintery) a cooler/vent with access to an area that is cooled (for hot summers) and wood flooring. That will make everyone decently happy and you can always add sculptures for the 'I must have an impressive bedroom' traited people.

But hey, long rooms are different. Embrace them.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Feelings about rooms gets suspended when colonists sleep, so having it be super optimized is not always necessary.

I like building large dormitories because the difference in happiness in rooms feels marginal and wood is seldom scarce. That way I can capture lots of prisoners.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone found a mod for squad management?

Anyway to select a pre-chosen group of colonists?

damnfan
Jun 1, 2012

Tony Montana posted:

Anyone found a mod for squad management?

Anyway to select a pre-chosen group of colonists?

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=3612.0 - Miscellaneous by Haplo

I think this may be what you're looking for

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Do the sterile tiles actually help prevent infection, or do they just look pretty?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nuclear War posted:

Do the sterile tiles actually help prevent infection, or do they just look pretty?

Yes, they raise the cleanliness of any room they are a part of, fill enough of the room with them and the room becomes sterile, which I believe gives bonuses to research speed and reduces the chance of infection.

Be aware however that colonists will tend to bleed when taken into hospital so you may need a big enough room to ensure that a bit of blood on the floor doesn't count as 50% of the room being covered in filth, which will make it count as dirty again.

Essentially sterile tiles add a bit of cleanliness to the room, and allow you to achieve positive cleanliness which is how a room become sterile, normally you can only get to 0 which is just clean. You still need to actually clean the room for it to work properly however.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
don't stick your hospital next door to your slaughter house.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Baloogan posted:

don't stick your hospital next door to your slaughter house.

But then my colonists will have to carry the bodies through so many doors and around so many...ermh, right, healing people, that's what we do here! Healing!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

How are you meant to fireproof your base? You pretty much have to build your base out of wood for the first few seasons, since you need all your metal for things like electrical infrastructure and it takes ages to get stonecutting researched and then cut enough stone to build reasonably sized rooms, but when everything is made out of wood all it takes is one mad boomrat to turn your entire village into a raging inferno. That's how I've lost two of my last three games.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Build a firebreak.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Giving your hunter grenades is hilarz in Rim's World

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Most bases should be able to be built out of the blocks you disassemble on flat maps if they exist. Make sure you also pull up the floors as well.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Aug 14, 2016

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
ok, one more: Whats the difference between an impressive bedroom and a beautiful one? I can have rooms that read as very beautiful but only a little beautiful

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

How do you survive on an ice sheet?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nuclear War posted:

ok, one more: Whats the difference between an impressive bedroom and a beautiful one? I can have rooms that read as very beautiful but only a little beautiful

Impressiveness is not beauty, lots of flowers are beautiful but impressiveness is generally a measure of craftsmanship, high quality furniture and expensive furniture are the biggest contributors to impressiveness, as is space. Big rooms, finished floors and walls, and plenty of good quality furniture like tables and chairs and artwork will make a room impressive.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I have a colonist who had that stacking loop in my freezer. I can get him to stop by drafting him and having someone else haul the thing, but he always goes back to another stack. I turned off his hauling and now he just stands in the freezer, his activity is "standing". What the gently caress?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
One thing you should do with your refrigerator as well is make it a few degrees below freezing. I am going to use Celcius for this, as my everyday life I use Celcius. 0C = 32F.
I set my refrigerator to -10C. While it makes it harder to get to the -10, it makes it easier once the refrigerator hits that temperature to stay below freezing. When I set it to exactly 0, it will be harder for it to stay at 0, and will usually hover around the 1-2C mark. -10 makes sure that it will stay around -8, and thus always be freezing. Once it hits the proper temperature it uses less power than it takes to reach that temperature in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

You'll also want a second cooling unit in your freezer because otherwise heatwaves will gently caress you up.