Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Baby Babbeh posted:

This is the actual answer. Most retailers don't have the technical sophistication to do anything useful on their own with granular purchase data, but there a lot of data broker companies that do and they pay relatively good money for it. In the past this was mostly used for direct mail — they'd sell lists of people who bought certain kinds of things to marketers who would then send those people junk mail. Nowadays, a lot of this data is resold to online sites that combine it with their own data to retarget their users.

Actually, funny story. You know how Facebook is always talking about how valuable the data they have about users is? It isn't actually that valuable. Around the time of their IPO they started looking seriously at ad targeting as a way to juice their flagging revenue numbers, and they realized that while they were all up in their users business and knew their most intimate secrets, almost none of this data was the kind of thing advertisers wanted. If you think about it, it makes sense — an advertiser is very unlikely to care that you obsessively stalk your ex on Facebook or like the I loving Love Science page, but they are VERY interested in the fact that you go to McDonalds 3 times a week, something Facebook couldn't actually tell them. People just don't post about their purchase habits or interact with brands much.

So Facebook struck a deal with three of the the biggest data brokers — Datalogix (Oracle), Acxiom, and Epsilon — to add data that advertisers actually care about to its ad targeting systems. And where did they get that data? Retail loyalty card programs, mostly.

So now we have a hilarious situation where retailers pay Facebook for the privilege of targeting their customers using data they probably already have. Home Depot sells its loyalty card data to Datalogix who sells it to Facebook who basically sells it back to Home Depot. Retail ad targeting is a snake eating its own tail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I work at a company that buys data from one of these brokers. It's "anonymized," but then I listen to our data scientists talk about how trivial it is de-anonymize, usually with perfect fidelity. poo poo's crazy.

Gahmah
Nov 4, 2009
I work in 'big data' of aggregating multiple accounting filetypes, nice office and good people in the austin area, how quickly should I be updating my resume before it all burns down?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
As bubbly as ad tech is it at least has the ability to target users. That's likely more valuable than the combination of television/print/billboard advertising and those are still somehow enormous industries.

Internet ads also typically have the ability to measure if they're actually working in terms of conversions of actual sales, which has been notably absent from the entire advertising industry for most of its existence.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The fact that it's quantifiable doesn't mean it's being measured properly or understood at all. Only clicks matter, why don't I have a one to one visits to sales ratio, I can't see my ads you should put them where I can see them. Nothing quite like the CEO demanding a million dollars get put into his local newspaper instead of digital because his wife reads the paper but he doesn't know anybody who goes online to look for deals.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i hate best buy so much

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Barudak posted:

Nothing quite like the CEO demanding a million dollars get put into his local newspaper instead of digital because his wife reads the paper but he doesn't know anybody who goes online to look for deals.
I want to believe that you made this up but my brain knows otherwise.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

ShadowHawk posted:

As bubbly as ad tech is it at least has the ability to target users. That's likely more valuable than the combination of television/print/billboard advertising and those are still somehow enormous industries.

Internet ads also typically have the ability to measure if they're actually working in terms of conversions of actual sales, which has been notably absent from the entire advertising industry for most of its existence.

If tv/print/billboards were required to have CTRs, I suspect all forms of advertisements would've cratered by now.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Freakazoid_ posted:

If tv/print/billboards were required to have CTRs, I suspect all forms of advertisements would've cratered by now.

Nah, you measure their effectiveness in terms of :airquote: awareness :airquote:, which is evaluated by such metrics as "I saw the billboard on my morning commute" and "CEO thinks the dog in the new ad is funny."

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Baby Babbeh posted:

Nah, you measure their effectiveness in terms of :airquote: awareness :airquote:, which is evaluated by such metrics as "I saw the billboard on my morning commute" and "CEO thinks the dog in the new ad is funny."

Awareness is measured in impressions which are themselves measured through lies.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
You know how AirBnB has disrupted neighborhoods by basically installing illegal hotels?
I give you beatvyne, about to disrupt neighborhoods by basically installing illegal concert halls: https://www.beatvyne.com

Bonus for the fact that every person on that site and on their social media seems insufferable.

(A friend of mine is drinking the kool aid with this company :( )

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Non Serviam posted:

You know how AirBnB has disrupted neighborhoods by basically installing illegal hotels?
I give you beatvyne, about to disrupt neighborhoods by basically installing illegal concert halls: https://www.beatvyne.com

Bonus for the fact that every person on that site and on their social media seems insufferable.

police actually enforce noise complaints and poo poo so haha good luck with that

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Non Serviam posted:

Private shows are already a thing though? But as corn says, they always wrap up by 10 or whatever the local noise ordinance is.
I'm pretty sure the reason they don't happen on a large scale is due to things like insurance and the RAVE act.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

duz posted:

Private shows are already a thing though? But as corn says, they always wrap up by 10 or whatever the local noise ordinance is.
I'm pretty sure the reason they don't happen on a large scale is due to things like insurance and the RAVE act.
House parties are a thing; suddenly realizing that Mary next door is hosting a loving show every other night isn't.

corn in the bible posted:

police actually enforce noise complaints and poo poo so haha good luck with that

I was told that they're "looking into" the whole "noise ordinances" and the fact that "no, you can't sell alcohol at your loving house and host an illegal gig."

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Insurance sounds pretty Web 2.0, guys.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Insurance sounds pretty Web 2.0, guys.

Apparently they have more board members than employees. Not a single person with a background in law, not even as a consultant.

This is depressing. It's the second one of my friends who seems to be falling for the promise of potential millions. The other one was tapped by a guy because his background in biochem (hasn't finished his PhD) and business (used to be an accountant) make him ideal to lead the business side of this disrupting company in the world of chemical companies. My friend didn't know what a startup was, how funding works, what an incubator is, or the fact that you don't go to Norman Sachs and pitch your app. Somehow he doesn't see these shortcomings as a sign that, maybe, the fact that he was asked to do this is in itself suspicious.

Of course, both of my friends are doing everything for their respective companies, despite not having signed anything at all. "But he did say he'd give me equity!"

Ugh... :(

EDIT: I am a lawyer, so at least I've been trying to look at the papers my biochem friend has received, so as to make sure he isn't getting hosed too much. I told him not to sign anything (not that there has been anything to sign) until I actually read it.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Speaking as someone who went to a lot of house shows in my punk rock days, it's not even the noise ordinance that will kill you, it's the number of fights and idiots drinking/doing drugs in the street.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Baby Babbeh posted:

Speaking as someone who went to a lot of house shows in my punk rock days, it's not even the noise ordinance that will kill you, it's the number of fights and idiots drinking/doing drugs in the street.

IF they do adopt the AirBnB/Uber model though, they'll just say these cases are outliers, and that they're reviewing their policies to make sure this doesn't happen again. Times... you know, every loving show ever.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Non Serviam posted:

I think you mean flavor aid, unless they actually serve kool aid at their office, which is something a tech company would probably do.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 201 days!

Non Serviam posted:

House parties are a thing; suddenly realizing that Mary next door is hosting a loving show every other night isn't.

I was told that they're "looking into" the whole "noise ordinances" and the fact that "no, you can't sell alcohol at your loving house and host an illegal gig."

I'm thinking that a whole lot of suburbanites are suddenly going to discover that they don't actually want their local noise bylaws "disrupted" very quickly here.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Popular Thug Drink posted:

imo it's because excel hits that sweet spot of being not too complicated to use and not too simple as to be useless, so it's great for the hands on middle manager type who has some data knowledge and can bang out a formula or two but starts hissing like a vampire when they have to write anything as complicated as markup

on the other hand, it hits that sweet spot where middle manager types can understand it just enough to dangerously mess things up without knowing what they're doing.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

blowfish posted:

on the other hand, it hits that sweet spot where middle manager types can understand it just enough to dangerously mess things up without knowing what they're doing.

*right-clicks chart, inserts linear trend line*

"Look at me, I'm doing big data!"

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Unguided posted:

I think you mean flavor aid, unless they actually serve kool aid at their office, which is something a tech company would probably do.

Thanks, I just learned the name of the actual drink spiked with cyanide :P

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Solkanar512 posted:

*right-clicks chart, inserts linear trend line*

"Look at me, I'm doing big data!"

Fuuuuuuuck.

Client has sale. Every year without fail 30%+ of revenue comes from the last day. Every year they demand reporting daily to track it. Every year they take the first few sales numbers and say "urgent: based on the tracking, were projected to miss our target by 30% please stay all night to optimize". This continues every day until the last wherein every preceding day is forgotten and everyone has done a great job after we broke the model with our final day of sales.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

war crimes enthusiast
When I was taking linear programming like 75% of the class refused to do it in anything other than excel, even though we were given significantly better and easier to use programs. This is in a grad program too.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Beam.Pro (A video game streaming platform that advertised extremely low latency and tools to enable viewer-based participation [think Twitch Plays Dark Souls]) just got bought by Microsoft :suicide:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

Beam.Pro (A video game streaming platform that advertised extremely low latency and tools to enable viewer-based participation [think Twitch Plays Dark Souls]) just got bought by Microsoft :suicide:

this is why microsoft is cool again~

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So snapchat released some racist filter that people are up in arms about.

https://medium.com/@katie/im-deleting-snapchat-and-you-should-too-98569b2609e4#.l8rundv32

My reaction to this was that it's a Silicon Valley tech company, so there must be enough Asian-Americans on staff to know this was a bad idea. But checking their list of current and former employees, they seem to be a mostly white people company, with some Indian guys every once in a while.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

A glorified sexting company did a racism: welcome to 2016.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Ccs posted:

So snapchat released some racist filter that people are up in arms about.

https://medium.com/@katie/im-deleting-snapchat-and-you-should-too-98569b2609e4#.l8rundv32

My reaction to this was that it's a Silicon Valley tech company, so there must be enough Asian-Americans on staff to know this was a bad idea. But checking their list of current and former employees, they seem to be a mostly white people company, with some Indian guys every once in a while.

What the gently caress, they had a blackface filter for 4/20?!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Solkanar512 posted:

What the gently caress, they had a blackface filter for 4/20?!
It was a Bob Marley thing and yeah, they didn't know what the gently caress.

Usually the 3-4 People of Color in an organization will stop and say "Hey guys, this is kind of a bad idea/makes me uncomfortable" and the leadership will turn around and go "Well I hear you, but (justification) so we're ok!"

And then the PoC go cry in a corner.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Lady Naga posted:

Never even heard of it until now.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Unguided posted:

Never even heard of it until now.

It was extremely good from a production standpoint but ironically the fact that you haven't heard of it is the entire reason why they could deliver on their primary selling point (there's no way they could keep sub-1ms latency if it got as popular as Twitch).

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Lady Naga posted:

That kind of seems good though? What was destined to be a tiny niche program will now most likely be built in to every Xbox and/or computer running DirectX 12.x

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Shifty Pony posted:

That kind of seems good though? What was destined to be a tiny niche program will now most likely be built in to every Xbox and/or computer running DirectX 12.x

Oh yeah because we all know Microsoft is super good at handling business. Just look at how much they improved Skype!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

Oh yeah because we all know Microsoft is super good at handling business. Just look at how much they improved Skype!

what twitch streaming really needs is excel integration and an intermittent connection to empty onedrives

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

blowfish posted:

what twitch streaming really needs is excel integration and an intermittent connection to empty onedrives

Can't wait for them to redesign the UI so it's "surface ready" and all useful options are hidden behind fifty billion monochrome squares.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Everyone is ditching Skype for Slack

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

CommieGIR posted:

Everyone is ditching Skype for Slack

I wish we were. :( They even disabled chatrooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Slack is Discord for yuppies and old people.