Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

QuarkMartial posted:

I was afraid so. I'll toss it to be safe. Gotta be better about freezing it next time.

I wouldn't go that far, if it smells ok just chuck it in the freezer. I know I left bbq in the fridge for 2 weeks back in NC when I bought it by the pound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
What is a good charcoal/wood grill in the $300-400 range?

e: Something like this but without the gas
https://smile.amazon.com/Smoke-Hollow-Charcoal-Searing-PS9900/dp/B00TEGAKLU/ref=sr_1_85?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1470881701&sr=1-85

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 11, 2016

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
All this WSM talk makes me want one to compliment my 22.5" OTS and Hasty-Bake Legacy 131...

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
I hope the Hasty Bake isn't a smoker, because if so it's the least appropriate name for a smoker ever.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Or the best.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

McSpankWich posted:

I hope the Hasty Bake isn't a smoker, because if so it's the least appropriate name for a smoker ever.

Nah, it's a big fancy charcoal grill.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
It's been a while... for me in the thread, and for the firing up of the smoker. At any rate... brisket has been resting at 203 for a while now, chicken's at 175. People should be arriving any minute now.

Dale Meets Wall
Aug 17, 2004

Dale will always steer you in the RIGHT direction!
Well the smoker still works about as well as before my parents dog knocked it over. No huge leaks which I attribute to the gaskets I had put on the top a couple weeks ago.

I did an 8lb shoulder that I butterflied. I've read mixed reviews on that technique but as I haven't used the smoked since the incident I didn't want to do an overnight smoke since I wasn't sure how temps would hold. Stupidly I also changed a second variable in that I did an empty water pan. Temps ran a bit high but I was able to dial in around 230-240 after an hour which is where I wanted it. After 6 hours I upped to 300 then since I couldn't get hotter (wide open vents) I finished in a 350 oven. Guests were anxious so I had to speed things up.

For the most part it was really good. A few bits were tougher to pull but not bad. Flavor was good and I liked the added bark, which wasn't totally ruined by the crutch. All in all another successful smoke.

My friend brought me some tomatoes and jalapeņo from her garden, any tips on smoked salsa? I'd also like to do a brisket in a week or two so any advice beyond the usual Amazing Ribs info?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Practice more before you waste money on brisket imo.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

sellouts posted:

Practice more before you waste money on brisket imo.
Brisket's less of a financial risk than people give it credit for, as long as you own an oven. The main thing is to avoid acrid black smoke from a mis-oxygenated fire, because that will seriously ruin it, but even if you totally gently caress up your fire control and run way hot for a few hours you can always abandon ship and finish it in the oven.

It's honestly hard to actually ruin a piece of meat in a slow-cooking capacity unless you double down on failure when you should cut and run. :)

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Aug 15, 2016

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Vulture Culture posted:

Brisket's less of a financial risk than people give it credit for, as long as you own an oven. The main thing is to avoid acrid black smoke from a mis-oxygenated fire, because that will seriously ruin it, but even if you totally gently caress up your fire control and run way hot for a few hours you can always abandon ship and finish it in the oven.

It's honestly hard to actually ruin a piece of meat in a slow-cooking capacity unless you double down on failure when you should cut and run. :)

I dunno, I disagree with this. I have been smoking for about 13 years now, and I still learn every time I smoke. I'll do chicken or pork or something at least twice a month, and in the early years I would end up with acrid disgusting mouthnumbing improperly smoked poo poo more often than not.

I now know all the mechanics of smoking well enough that I regularly make mean rear end ribs and pulled pork and poo poo, but I have smoked a brisket fewer than 5 times in my life still. it's just too expensive and too much of a sensitive thing for me (personally) to feel comfortable going for anything less than gold on.

If you're just starting out smoking, I'd say perfect chicken first - it's by far the cheapest, and 2nd least forgiving, topped only by brisket. You can also taste the subtle differences in expertly smoked chicken vs shittily smoked chicken much more easily than say pork butt or whatever - it's great for developing good technique.

Once you feel like you fully understand temperature/humidity/smoke/oxygen/salt/sugar/etc considerations with chicken, I'd say you have a decent shot at a brisket. but if you're just like 'yeah I wanna smoke something, gonna try brisket!!!' you'll end up with a mess, unless you don't care much about quality, or end up extremely lucky.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
I can second the fact that my first brisket tasted like absolute poo poo.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

I'm yet to mess up a brisket and I'm surprised people have a difficult time. I wonder what could be happening?

I have cooked them any where from 225 to 325 in my 14.5" WSM.

Never had any turn out tough or dry.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
I tried my first (smoked) brisket last week, but I kept reading different peoples methods while it was on the grill and couldn't settle on when I was going to pull it off. I read one thing that said 203 was the magic temperature, where I was initially going to take it off at 190-195. I decided I was going to experiment with the upper extreme and go to 203, but by the time it hit 196 I was becoming extremely concerned. I lopped off a corner to sample, even though I know that's not indicative of what I would find in the middle, and decided to take the whole thing off as that piece tasted a little dried out. Wrapped it and let it sit for about 30, and when I finally sliced it open it was definitely overdone. Not to the point of being inedible, but I only took a bite or two of the leftovers the next day before tossing it. I know the meat continues to cook even after it comes off, but I didn't expect that it would go up that much more without a heat source. I had already pulled the probe, so I'm not sure where temp peaked.

I can chalk it up to being a learning experience, but as others have said, brisket isn't exactly cheap. I spent $40 on this one and that's about 33% of one of our normal weekly grocery bills. I can't wait to try it again, but I'll definitely be practicing with other things in the interim.

The other strange thing about this cook was that the smoke ring on the meat was practically non-existent. I made ribs the prior week, and they had an excellent ring about 2-3 mm thick, but the brisket just had a bark and that's it. It did taste smoky and I probably wouldn't have been disappointed with the flavor if it wasn't dried out, but it just struck me as odd. No pink ring whatsoever. Both cooks were done with a 3/4 full water pan.

E: This is on a WSM 18.5

the good fax machine fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 15, 2016

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
I've made 6ish briskets since I started smoking 1.5 years ago. All but one turned out incredible, and I didn't do anything special. The one that wasn't incredible was merely okay because I ran out of time and had to crutch it in the oven.

I'm using an electric smoker though, so everything is on easy-mode.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
I think I found the ideal method for turkey legs. Use this recipe: http://www.smokegrillbbq.com/smoked-turkey-legs.html

But then ignore all that about cooking em at 240 for 4-5 hours, and cook them at 325 for 60-90 minutes. This way you get crispier skin. I tried this last night and it was my best effort yet with these.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

moctopus posted:

I'm yet to mess up a brisket and I'm surprised people have a difficult time. I wonder what could be happening?

oh I don't have a *difficult* time

all my briskets have been meat, that has been smoked, which is edible and relatively tasty.

I just don't think that's an acceptable quality level to aim for, with handling a $40-$75 cut of beef that should be nothing less than the most perfectly seasoned, juiciest, most magical thing you've dug into in recent memory.

I guess I blame my texas blood, but I'm just not willing to gently caress around with brisket. and I've never made a brisket that lives up to my own standards.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

coronaball posted:

I think I found the ideal method for turkey legs. Use this recipe: http://www.smokegrillbbq.com/smoked-turkey-legs.html

But then ignore all that about cooking em at 240 for 4-5 hours, and cook them at 325 for 60-90 minutes. This way you get crispier skin. I tried this last night and it was my best effort yet with these.

I think the best method is to throw them in the trash :v:

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Speaking of brisket I'll be doing my third one this weekend for a larger party. In the past I just sliced one at a time as each person wanted it but I'm thinking of trying to save myself the hassle. Would slicing it all into a chafing dish dry it out? Or is there something I can do to assure high quality while saving time. Slicing individually isn't out of the question, just exploring my options.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I would try and capture as much juice/drippings and toss the sliced brisket into a warm bath of that.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

wrong thread

Spigs
Jun 5, 2008
My wife got me a Traeger smoker as a birthday present and I decided to try ribs for the first time. Homemade rub using Alton Brown's 8-3-1-1 ratio, I let it sit in the rub for almost a day. Smoked it with Traeger apple wood pellets for 5 hours at around 225, had some minor issues with the heat since it was around 95 degrees out so I actually had to set the grill to 180 to keep it around 225. For a mop I used apple juice mixed with some of the rub, mopped it every 45 minutes. I used a probe thermometer towards the end and got an internal temp of around 195, I would have liked to have gone a bit higher but it was getting late and threatening rain. Overall I was very happy with how they turned out. Pics below!

Just going on the smoker

3 Hours in, just mopped

Finished!

And the pull.

Efresh
Oct 21, 2007

moctopus posted:

Mine were consistently turning out tough and dry until I started crutching them and realised I was probably cooking them for way too long. I also suspect the grill temperature is getting too hot in my WSM, I had been relying on the dial thermometer for that but using a leave-in probe to get the meat temperature. If I crutch it in the WSM it is done in like 8 hours and juicy as hell.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

I had a first today, u have a 12 lb brisket in the smoker and the drat thing never plateaued. Could that mean anything or is it just something that happens?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I've got a 10 pound pork shoulder on right now. It's my first time doing a piece of meat this size. I've only done small chuck roasts (makes great chili) and pork shoulders (both about 4lbs) and chickens. Made coleslaw last night and will start up some charro/ranch style beans soon. Should be a fantastic dinner.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

lifts cats over head posted:

I had a first today, u have a 12 lb brisket in the smoker and the drat thing never plateaued. Could that mean anything or is it just something that happens?
The stall is something that happens as a result of evaporative cooking. If you're cooking with high pressure somehow, or your brisket just didn't have much moisture to begin with (think dry-aged), it wouldn't stall. It would also happen if your cook environment is too moist and you can't actually evaporate any more moisture into the air, which is my gut feeling since the other two are unlikely.

Spigs
Jun 5, 2008
First whole chicken going on tomorrow, I'm planning on brining first, any other tips or things to be aware of?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Spigs posted:

First whole chicken going on tomorrow, I'm planning on brining first, any other tips or things to be aware of?

Fry the skin up after to have smoky chicken chicharrones.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Spigs posted:

I think spatchcocking is better than not.

Chicken benefits from hot and fast.

You might do everything perfectly and still have the breast dry in areas. You can avoid it, but just be aware different parts of the chicken will cook at different speeds.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Vulture Culture posted:

The stall is something that happens as a result of evaporative cooking. If you're cooking with high pressure somehow, or your brisket just didn't have much moisture to begin with (think dry-aged), it wouldn't stall. It would also happen if your cook environment is too moist and you can't actually evaporate any more moisture into the air, which is my gut feeling since the other two are unlikely.

Well this was my first cook after installing the Cajun bandit door, a gasket, and a compression lock for the door which were all suggested a free pages back so I'm guessing that might have been the key. Brisket turned it great and the crowd said it was the best one I've made yet.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Going on at 6:30

About halfway through with some elk sausages.

I finished it in the oven to speed up the time. I pulled it from the heat at around 199 degrees. Man it was good.

and pulled

I need to seal the doors though. I lost a lot of heat through the cracks and the wind was loving me up. Just a minor complaint though as everything went really smoothly. The bbq sauce I made with the drippings was drat good as well.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

moctopus posted:

I think spatchcocking is better than not.

Chicken benefits from hot and fast.

You might do everything perfectly and still have the breast dry in areas. You can avoid it, but just be aware different parts of the chicken will cook at different speeds.

Came here with some chicken questions and this post just about covers it. The only other questions I have are which side to place down (I did spatchcock it, so meat or skin side down) and if I should turn it halfway or just leave it.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
The best way to smoke a chicken is to debone it, stuff boudin inside and roll it up.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Tezcatlipoca posted:

The best way to smoke a chicken is to debone it, stuff boudin inside and roll it up.

Oh god yes.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Going on at 6:30

About halfway through with some elk sausages.

I finished it in the oven to speed up the time. I pulled it from the heat at around 199 degrees. Man it was good.

and pulled

I need to seal the doors though. I lost a lot of heat through the cracks and the wind was loving me up. Just a minor complaint though as everything went really smoothly. The bbq sauce I made with the drippings was drat good as well.
That's a really beautiful bark.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

lifts cats over head posted:

This happened on a usda prime brisket I got a few weeks ago. It just steadily rose in temp, without so much of a stall as I had previously experienced. Rose up to 200 degrees on the internal temp when I pulled it, foiled it and place it in a towel bath/cooler for two hours to rest (when our guests were expected). It was beautiful and the fat cap perfectly rendered and dripped down when slicing through. It was the best thing I've smoked yet, and our dinner guests couldn't stop eating and talking about it.
I attribute it to my little traeger working up a seasoning much better. It's more consistent at holding temps and is using a lot less fuel now.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Whats everyones favorite carnitas recipe?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Bob A Feet posted:

Honestly? Leftover pulled pork. Otherwise I just buy it from the local Mexican market down the road.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Bob A Feet posted:

I've gotten the best results in a Dutch oven. I make a rub of paprika, cumin, salt, oregano and olive oil. Chopped onion, garlic, bay leaf, chicken stock, roasted bell pepper, roasted poblano and roast any other chilis you want, two oranges halved and squeezed, lime juice and pepper.

After it cooks at 250 for a few hours (I usually do 4lbs of pork shoulder because that's what fits in my Dutch oven) I take the meat and orange peels out of the liquid. I use a hand blender in there until it's smooth. When that's done I add the shredded pork in batches to a hot pan and ladle the right amount of liquid over it until it is nice and crispy on one side.

I swear by this method and everyone who's had it has made themselves sick from overeating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Ok. Wife isn't a big fan of pork but she's out of town this weekend so I'm going to smoke a small butt for myself and I just want some ideas. I love Mexican so I guess I'll try that with the left overs.