Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

VikingSkull posted:

translation: "I am a giant pussy"

:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

you're the authority on this style of posts so I will accept your criticism

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
http://www.indycar.com/News/2016/08/08-12-Motor-Trend-OnDemand

quote:

INDYCAR announced today a partnership with TEN: The Enthusiast Network’s Motor Trend OnDemand that adds archival INDYCAR video to the extensive catalog of motorsports programming available on the subscription video on demand (SVOD) service. The INDYCAR content available includes historic videos, archived Indianapolis 500 broadcasts, current race footage and more.

INDYCAR and Motor Trend OnDemand are offering 20 percent off new subscriptions exclusively for INDYCAR fans. For additional details or to sign up, click here.

Their archives are just hour-long recaps of 19 Indy 500s between 1991 and 2009, which isn't anything particularly massive. However, the 20% off deal works out to about $3.40 a month for a poo poo-ton of live broadcasts and VOD content for the rest of of MTOD (formerly Torque.tv) which is too good for me to pass up. Make sure to sign up at the link above if you want in on that.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
MTOD is worth it for Roadkill alone, been a subscriber since they launched it.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

WindyMan posted:

http://www.indycar.com/News/2016/08/08-12-Motor-Trend-OnDemand

Their archives are just hour-long recaps of 19 Indy 500s between 1991 and 2009, which isn't anything particularly massive. However, the 20% off deal works out to about $3.40 a month for a poo poo-ton of live broadcasts and VOD content for the rest of of MTOD (formerly Torque.tv) which is too good for me to pass up. Make sure to sign up at the link above if you want in on that.

Cool. I had been considering signing up for this.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

VikingSkull posted:

you're the authority on this style of posts so I will accept your criticism

The NASCAR/Indycar threads have been exposed to so much of your bad posting over the last few years that we're all experts in how to be a facebook edgelord.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
Taking a break from all the flaming, Here's a great article about IndyCar and the Olympics

quote:

While watching the Olympics along with much of the rest of the world, I was reminded that the site of many competitions for the Games of the XXXI Olympiad in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, was once a racetrack.

The Jacarepaguá road course hosted numerous racing events from Formula One to MotoGP. Brazilian legend Ayrton Senna made his F1 debut there in 1984. The layout also featured a trapezoid-shaped “roval” – an oval that drove like a road course – which hosted Indy car races for five years

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Aug 15, 2016

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Good riddance.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Do Brazilian Stock Cars race on anything cool? Can't run Interlagos for obvious reasons.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

They do race at Interlagos, although I'm not aware of any other particularly cool tracks in Brazil.

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 14, 2016

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

They run a lot of cool tracks no-one's really heard of. It's a series worth getting into if you can.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
it seems like those cars kill someone every year

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

it seems like those cars kill someone every year

I don't know if it's the tracks, cars or the corner workers/safety teams (or lack thereof) but yeah it seems particularly unsafe.

I remember the former Rio track from the old Xbox MotoGP games (the last years of the Brazilian MotoGP round IIRC) and it was...kind of a proto-Tilke-drome. Flat and not particularly interesting.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

The idea of CART running Rio during that period of time was pretty cool.

It's just a drat shame the event started the very year of the split, and at the end of Emmo's career. Not to mention the fact that DeFerran, Helio, TK, DaMatta and others didn't start really DOMINATING Open Wheel racing until 2001 or so.

Same thing seemed to happen with Surfers (Power, Briscoe, Dixon), and Motegi (Sato-San nearly winning Indy the year after it closed).

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

I remember the former Rio track from the old Xbox MotoGP games (the last years of the Brazilian MotoGP round IIRC) and it was...kind of a proto-Tilke-drome. Flat and not particularly interesting.

Yeah that's the track. It's mostly under Olympic buildings these days.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

FuzzySkinner posted:

The idea of CART running Rio during that period of time was pretty cool.

It's just a drat shame the event started the very year of the split, and at the end of Emmo's career. Not to mention the fact that DeFerran, Helio, TK, DaMatta and others didn't start really DOMINATING Open Wheel racing until 2001 or so.

Same thing seemed to happen with Surfers (Power, Briscoe, Dixon), and Motegi (Sato-San nearly winning Indy the year after it closed).

Dixon is so bland even we don't claim him as an Aussie like we do with any other famous/successful Kiwi's...and Power did win Surfers in the final year, I think driving for Team Australia! :australia:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

freeranger posted:

Dixon is so bland even we don't claim him as an Aussie like we do with any other famous/successful Kiwi's...and Power did win Surfers in the final year, I think driving for Team Australia! :australia:

He got the pole driving like a mad man to the amazement of Hinch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nap9rezYJWg

Also this Dario interview where he opens about his concussion problems is a difficult watch... :smith:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-37089485

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 15, 2016

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Penske planning on same driver lineup next year http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/133161-indycar-cindric-expects-same-drivers-for-17

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

Also this Dario interview where he opens about his concussion problems is a difficult watch... :smith:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-37089485

I mean, I'm glad he's still around to give interviews like this, unlike way too many people, but yeah he's clearly living with some serious changes.

Less serious, check out the books on that bookcase, and when the gently caress did he remarry? I'm guessing he's wanting to keep the personal life a bit more personal than it was last time around, nothing wrong with that.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

He's been wearing the ring for a year or so, but I don't know if hes remarried or not. Him and Judd's thing is pretty... non traditional.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

I mean, I'm glad he's still around to give interviews like this, unlike way too many people, but yeah he's clearly living with some serious changes.

Less serious, check out the books on that bookcase, and when the gently caress did he remarry? I'm guessing he's wanting to keep the personal life a bit more personal than it was last time around, nothing wrong with that.

He has books about Mario, Mears, Greg Moore and Alex Zanardi. Also I thought I saw "Darkest Nights" on the book case as well. He seems to really love our form of the sport.

I did tweet him about if he was doing alright or not. He thanked me and said he's in Monterrey with his brother for the Mecum auction :unsmith:.

Cygni posted:

He's been wearing the ring for a year or so, but I don't know if hes remarried or not. Him and Judd's thing is pretty... non traditional.

Judd is weird, but he seems to love her quite a bit. I always though her not wanting to have kids must have been a bit of a turn off for him in some ways considering his brother has one or two now.

I feel creepy about talking about another person's personal life, but that's my view of it.

Regardless? Dario is a great champion in our series.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
maybe he forgot he got divorced and no one has the heart to tell him

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
"I tried not to watch the replay of my win, when she's dancing in the rain. But it came on ESPN and I didn't turn my head fast enough. So I watched it over and over, in slow motion..."

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

VikingSkull posted:

maybe he forgot he got divorced and no one has the heart to tell him

That would be about the saddest thing possible.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

Yep. Ask anyone who watched F1 over the last few years what they think about restrictions in engine development.

HPD just called for open development.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

In related Honda news, they took a big swing to bring Ganassi back but talks have 'stalled'. The deal was for both IndyCar and Honda's DPi program in IMSA.

http://www.racer.com/more/viewpoints/item/133203-analysis-honda-s-indycar-revival-roadmap

Cygni fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Aug 17, 2016

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I think Ganassi would want a lot from them in order to jump.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

In related Honda news, they took a big swing to bring Ganassi back but talks have 'stalled'. The deal was for both IndyCar and Honda's DPi program in IMSA.

http://www.racer.com/more/viewpoints/item/133203-analysis-honda-s-indycar-revival-roadmap

I mean in theory? Andretti wouldn't be a bad anchor team to have if Ford is with Ganassi (rumored).

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://www.mecum.com/lots/CA0816-255236/1990-lola-t9000-valvoline-indy-car/

I need 90k stat.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

90k is a lot for a 1:1 scale model (even one that does have detailing in the engine bay)

yes I know it's a real car, but currently not in running order, so

also Dario is a goddamned legend. if you have 20 minutes listen to Marshall Pruett's chat with Dario about his (non-Indy) career if only because his DTM stories are absolutely amazing.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
Apparently IMS is being sued by the event organizers for a Maxim Magazine Indy 500 event. Not gonna lie I never even knew there was a Maxim Magazine event (although I'd never spend $500 on a ticket) so there might be some merit to this lawsuit.

quote:

Maxim magazine's event organizer says the Indianapolis Motor Speedway committed a party foul when it failed to market and advertise a massive celebration that coincided with the 100th running of the Indianapolis 500.

In a lawsuit filed Wednesday, California-based Karma International claims its Indy 500 Maxim Party flopped after IMS failed to market the event on social media and advertise to its massive database of suite holders and ticket buyers. Karma claims the IMS owes more than $817,000 in lost revenue from unsold tickets.

The Maxim party sold 418 tickets, many at a discount, according to a suit filed in the U.S. District Court's Southern District of Indiana.

Karma, in its lawsuit, said it was expecting to sell all 1,500 tickets at $500 each.

The event organizer said it based the projections on earnings from its 2012 Maxim-branded Super Bowl bash, which made $1,056,850. The Indianapolis 500 party, which was held May 27 at the Pavilion at Pan Am Plaza, pulled in $182,500.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

In theory I like the concept of the "500" being treated like a red carpet "super bowl"-like event. I love the idea of A-list celebrities being in town walking around the pits and just taking in everything.

But the problem is, well, who are they going to find to spend that amount of money on something and for what exactly? I mean you're not going to get people to commit that type of money if you're trying to pitch this to the average race fan. Plus the "500" isn't back to what it was as a "International/National event". You're not going to get the type of crowds that Monaco is getting right now.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

lol gently caress maxim

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
"2012 Maxim-branded Super Bowl bash, which made $1,056,850. The Indianapolis 500 party, which was held May 27 at the Pavilion at Pan Am Plaza, pulled in $182,500"

They are retarded.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Any excuse needed to post this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw2O6JRAIR4

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Well the bad news is Maxim sponsors Graham Rahal, as does Steak 'n Shake which is owned by Maxim's owners. So this isn't great news for Graham.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

gret posted:

Well the bad news is Maxim sponsors Graham Rahal, as does Steak 'n Shake which is owned by Maxim's owners. So this isn't great news for Graham.

it might be more accurate to say owner, singular, since it's one dude's investment group and he appointed himself editor in chief of maxim. so potentially that makes it worse for graham.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

The pool for people attending the super bowl is more likely to attract people that are willing to spend 500 bucks or more to go to a party like that. Former/Current NFL players, A-List celebrities, Millionaires/Billionaires and perhaps Doctors/Lawyers of the two fans that are attending such an event. Not to mention dipshit reporters like Darren Rovell. (who will then whine about how it "sucks" on twitter).

The pool for the Indy 500? Much more wider, but less likely to have those people I just mentioned. The "500" is not some sort of "exclusive" event. Anyone can attend it. Also is anyone here wanting to spend 500 bucks on going to that thing? It was on carb day correct? You can go get drunk there for a helluva lot cheaper. Not to mention the insane amount of short track events and other festivities that are in the greater Indianapolis area that weekend.

If you want to "rub elbows" with the stars? All you need is a bronze badge or a pit pass. This isn't the NFL.

Also 500 bucks can get you a two-seater ride. Something that is much more worth it.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
this pretty much boils down to the contract and whether IMS had any duty to promote the event. if not, Maxim can get hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

wicka posted:

it might be more accurate to say owner, singular, since it's one dude's investment group and he appointed himself editor in chief of maxim. so potentially that makes it worse for graham.

Guess that explains why RLL has been using rotating primary sponsors lately.

• Locked thread