Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blacksun
Mar 16, 2006
I told Cwapface not to register me with a title that said I am a faggot but he did it anyway because he likes to tell the truth.

She defends Bill Leak on her page. Jesus christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

blacksun posted:

She defends Bill Leak on her page. Jesus christ.

https://www.facebook.com/JacintaPriceForCouncillor/posts/1726144710979901

Jesus

https://www.facebook.com/JacintaPriceForCouncillor/posts/1728280120766360

Jesus

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Unnamed 3rd option. Fury road is not as good as people tell you and theres a giant 40min snooze fest in the middle of it

you're not supposed to read auspol in the middle of movies you hosed idiot

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

do you need a narrator to explain films to you or what

*coalesces out of a collection of film stock and cgi robots fighting each other*

i am summoned

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Milky Moor posted:

*coalesces out of a collection of film stock and cgi robots fighting each other*

i am summoned

What have we done?!

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Lid posted:

The Turnbull government’s knee-jerk reaction to the thoroughly misleading ABC special on the treatment of ­inmates at the NT’s Don Dale Youth ­Detention Centre marks yet another failed ­response to the real issue hiding in plain sight.

Like the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sex Abuse, the latest show promises to feed those most in need of public reassurance of their own innate sense of morality and do little for those most at risk.

Had Labor Prime Minister Julia Gillard’s government not been so obsessed with the Roman Catholic Church it would have acknowledged that the overwhelming majority of cases of child sex abuse take place within the home, and that among those cases, there was a significant over-representation of children from broken homes, or de facto ­relationships, and yes, sad but true, of children identified as indigenous.

The terms of reference restricted Justice Peter McClellan to examine child sexual abuse in institutional context; ring-fencing the real problem from much-needed scrutiny.

So, too, do the Letters Patent for Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull’s commission into “the Child Protection and Youth Detention Systems of the Government of the Northern Territory”, ignore the bigger, almost existential, problem facing the young indigenous people who make up a staggering 97 per cent of the children in detention in the Northern Territory.

Turnbull’s Rudd-like bull-at-the-gate approach to government meant that his first Royal Commissioner, the former NT Chief Justice Brian Martin, had been replaced within a week of his appointment, by the familiar and ­almost permanently outraged indigenous figure Mick Gooda and former Queensland Supreme Court judge Margaret White, who should bring to the commission the judicial experience Gooda lacks.

Before bailing out, Martin said he would look at “questions about the culture in the system” adding that “whether racism does or doesn’t play a role will be a part of the ­inquiry.” He jumped ship saying he did not have the “full confidence” of sections of the indigenous community and was not prepared to compromise the inquiry.

Therein lies the problem.

Questioning the culture of the system is like looking at the paint job on a crashed car without asking whether the lack of brakes may have been the cause of the smash.

The institution didn’t put the youngsters in the slammer, but their culture, interpretation of it, or lack of it, did.

The so-called Abu Ghraib hood was being worn by the ­recidivist inmate Dylan Voller because of his unpleasant habit of spitting at law officers.

There’s little doubt that the other tough measures — hosing down and tear gas, as disagreeable as they may seem to middle-class ABC viewers — were also used for good reason most of the time.

The commission will spend a lot of money establishing what two previous inquiries have already established.

It will not, however, probe the dysfunctional habits of the community from which the young inmates have come.

Exploring the crisis in those families which identify as indigenous is unpopular because it will expose the myth that the life of Aboriginal Australians prior to the arrival of Europeans was idyllic.

It might disturb vegans to learn that the early Australians were carnivorous, it might disturb feminists to learn that they were, for the most part, fiercely patriarchal, and it might disturb pacifists to learn that they were often at war with each other.

Sadly, elements of the old culture of wife beating, polygamy and patriarchy still exist within some indigenous communities across the Northern Territory, northern Western Australia and northern Queensland.

Young girls are threatened with arranged marriages to older men, they are routinely treated brutally by their “husbands” and they have little ­redress.

Jacinta Yangapi Nampijinpa Price, a woman with a deep understanding of both European and Aboriginal Australia addressed a meeting at the Centre of Independent Studies in Sydney in late June.

The institution didn’t put the youngsters in the slammer, but their culture, interpretation of it, or lack of it, did.

Speaking plainly and from the heart, she addressed the ­issues that the Royal Commissioners will not.

“What we cannot continue to do,” she said, “is make excuses for violent behaviour. Instead of looking for constitutional recognition or treaties or governments to solve the problems, ownership, responsibility and constructive criticism must take place.

“Yes we’ve worked out the role governments have played in our country’s history but we also must acknowledge our own part in the demise of our people. We must acknowledge what within our own culture is detrimental to us finding solutions to our own problems and work out what changes we must make to move forward.

“Why is it we should remain stifled and live by 40,000-year-old laws when the rest of the world have had the privilege of evolution within their cultures so that they may survive in a modern world? Why in these times should there be an us-and-them mentality? We can’t rid this country of Europeans and the British or those from the rest of the world for that matter who now call Australia home.

“There was a four-decade long campaign to win citizenship rights for Aboriginal Australians but now the absolute fundamental rights of Aboriginal women, girls and children are being denied and ignored by white feminists and human rights lawyers who believe they know better, who believe that the real perpetrators are English speaking white men. We have the same rights as anybody else in this country and it is about time those rights were respected by everybody.”

Ms Price’s commonsense drives deeper to the heart of the basic issue than any Royal Commission has and should be adopted by all Australians.
Our culture is superior. Heil Hitler.

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic
Child sexual abuse happens outside of the church, therefore the church sheltering a number of paedophiles isn't worth investigating. Segues nicely into the fact that Indigenous people have an inherently primitive culture that must be the sole cause of the cycle of institutionalisation and social dysfunction that many Indigenous people and their children find themselves trapped in, if they just realised this and started acting more like us respectable whiteys then there'd be no problem! I found one person talking about issues within her own culture so she must agree that it's all their own fault :bahgawd:

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Birdstrike posted:

you're not supposed to read auspol in the middle of movies you hosed idiot

:drat:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Keep on trying to rewrite that legacy Tones, I look forward to your encore performance as Half Term Tony.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/aug/14/labor-gobsmacked-by-tony-abbotts-u-turn-on-malaysia-solution

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Tones is rehabilitating his image so he can challenge Turnbull.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Ahh yes, Tony discussing the hyper-partisan issue of detaining asylum seekers on Nauru.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Hm how can we gather support for our anti Islam agenda, I know, lets storm a church

Central coast fascists are real fuckin dumb

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

hooman posted:

Keep on trying to rewrite that legacy Tones, I look forward to your encore performance as Half Term Tony.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/aug/14/labor-gobsmacked-by-tony-abbotts-u-turn-on-malaysia-solution

When i want to rewrite my legacy i too will say i support something i opposed that was literally found illegal in the high court.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Hm how can we gather support for our anti Islam agenda, I know, lets storm a church

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-15/party-for-freedom-stunt-disrupts-anglican-church-service/7733710

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Solemn Sloth posted:

I dont think intelligence and fascism vary geographically.

But gently caress Howard forever for allowing nationalism out of the bag and giving life to poo poo like this.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Those LD boys are at it again

quote:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...2dffac9345ff4f5

Libertarian senator David Leyonhjelm has lodged a formal complaint before the Human Rights Commission under race hate laws for being publicly abused as an “angry white male”.

Although Senator Leyonhjelm admitted he was “not personally offended” by the slur, contained in a column by Fairfax Media’s Mark Kenny.

However, he was determined to demonstrate the absurdity of the Racial Discrimination Act which prohibits speech that is “reasonably likely, in all the circumstances, to offend, insult, humiliate or intimidate” on the basis of “race, colour or national or ethnic origin”.

The case is understood to be the first complaint of its kind for the HRC under section 18C of the Act, which makes it unlawful to commit an act that would reasonably offend or insult someone ­because of their race, colour, ­or national or ­ethnic origin.

The article attacked the Liberal Democrat parliamentarian, who favours abolishing the law, as a “boorish, supercilious know-all with the empathy of a besser block”, “infantile reasoning” and “angry-white-male certitude”.

In a statement today, Senator Leyonhjelm said: “I was not personally offended by the comments – that’s my choice.

“However, under 18C of the Racial Discrimination Act, this does not matter. Under the Act, Mr Kenny’s article is unlawful because his article was reasonably likely, in all the circumstances, to offend, insult, humiliate or intimidate another person or a group of people on the basis of their colour.”

The controversial law includes exemptions for anything said or done “reasonably and in good faith” in art, science, academia or in the public interest, or any fair comment that is a genuine belief held by the author.

Senator Leyonhjelm said the comments were “reasonably likely in all the circumstances to offend or insult some white males”.

“Assuming the adjudicators at the Human Rights Commission are guided by the law and not racists, I anticipate the complaint should succeed. Of course, if I succeed in having section 18C repealed, Mr Kenny will be free to insult me as much as he likes.”

The revelation of the senator’s move comes as a Liberal senator says removal of the words “insult” and “offend” from section 18C of the Racial Discrimination Act has broad appeal across the community — from human rights lawyer Julian Burnside to former prime minister Tony Abbott.

Senator Dean Smith spoke yesterday after delegates at the West Australian Liberal Party state conference voted in favour of removing the words from the act.

At the conference on Saturday, federal Liberal frontbencher Ken Wyatt argued strongly against the original motion to repeal section 18C altogether.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
19 days till the return of everyone's favourite Democrats supporter.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Whoa an ideologically dishonest libertarian with a chip on their shoulder :monocle:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Jumpingmanjim posted:

19 days till the return of everyone's favourite Democrats supporter.
And I'll be nailing my thighs to my chair for that.

Crocodile tears and political opportunism? It's almost enough to win the ALP some support.

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/labor-calls-for-senate-inquiry-into-nauru/7733966

quote:

Labor calls for Senate inquiry into Nauru abuse allegations Monday 15 August 2016 7:37AM (view full episode)

Pressure is building on the Turnbull Government over the mistreatment of asylum seekers on Nauru. The UN High Commissioner for Human Rights is calling for a thorough investigation into more than 2,000 leaked incident reports, which include allegations of violence, sexual assault, self harm and degrading living conditions. On the weekend, Opposition leader Bill Shorten urged Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull to accompany him on a 'fact finding mission' to Nauru, and announced Labor will push for a Senate inquiry into the detention centre when Parliament resumes later this month. Shayne Neumann, Shadow Minister for Immigration, joins Fran Kelly on RN Breakfast.

This is Australian news because we will be dragged into what would have to be the stupidest reason for a conflictr since WW1.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-15/us-china-war-could-erupt-ex-obama-adviser-says/7733996

quote:

Prolonged, destructive' United States, China war possible, ex-Obama intelligence adviser says By political reporter Eliza Borrello Posted 10 minutes ago

United States President Barack Obama's former chief intelligence adviser has warned a war between the US and China would be long, destructive and could erupt if regional disputes already underway overheat. David Gompert sent the warning to policy makers in a Rand Corporation report commissioned by the US Army. "War between the United States and China could be so ruinous for both countries, for East Asia, and for the world that it might seem unthinkable," Mr Gompert wrote.
"Yet it is not: China and the United States are at loggerheads over several regional disputes that could lead to military confrontation or even violence between them. If an incident occurred or a crisis overheated, both have an incentive to strike enemy forces before being struck by them. "And if hostilities erupted, both have ample forces, technology, industrial might, and personnel to fight across vast expanses of land, sea, air, space, and cyberspace."

He said if such a war broke out today, China's losses would greatly exceed that of the US. But he said it was possible by 2025 China's economy may have overtaken America's and the gap could be much smaller. "Even then, however, China could not be confident of gaining military advantage, which suggests the possibility of a prolonged and destructive, yet inconclusive, war," Mr Gompert said. US 'should prepare for long, fierce war' (No muppet. the US should pull back from the brink and attempt to live in peace for ten minutes). Mr Gompert said the US should make sensible preparations to wage a "long and fierce" war with China but argued it must also develop plans to limit the scope, intensity and duration of such a conflict.

His report came ahead of November's US presidential election, in which one of the candidates, Donald Trump, has refused to rule out the possibility of conflict. "I would use trade to negotiate. Would I go to war? Look, let me just tell you. There's a question I wouldn't want to answer," Mr Trump said in a New York Times interview in March. "Because I don't want to say I won't or I will or — do you understand that. That's the problem with our country. A politician would say: 'Oh I would never go to war' or they'd say: 'Oh I would go to war.' "I don't want to say what I'd do because, again, we need unpredictability." Australian National University defence expert Paul Dibb said: "[If Mr Trump wins the election] sure as hell … we'd have the most unpredictable America the world has ever seen." "It is very difficult to say things that are balanced and objective about President Trump. "It raises whole questions about the ANZUS (Australia, New Zealand and United States Security Treaty) alliance."

:doh: Are we really prepared to go to war over some furious groin stroking in the South China Sea? Does no one actually remember what remembrance day is all the gently caress about? Is the US so wedded to the industrial military complex that no sacrifice is too large too sate the need for more martial supplies? Oh and let's throw Donald 'Duck' Trump into the mix 'cause that'll make things better!

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I can only imagine if war broke out between the US and China that China's first move would be an immediate and devastating strike on Australia to reduce the chance of the US using it as a launching pad in SEAsia. Not good for us obviously.

I am not a military person in any way.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

starkebn posted:

I can only imagine if war broke out between the US and China that China's first move would be an immediate and devastating strike on Australia to reduce the chance of the US using it as a launching pad in SEAsia. Not good for us obviously.

The Philippines are much more of a direct threat but no sane person (Outside of the pentagon and other similar asylums) has seriously considered the implication of what would amount to stupidity and insanity both playing tag with each other.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

starkebn posted:

Australia being wiped off the map seems an improvement to me

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Pre-emptive strikes are more likely to come from America and would amount to destruction of some major Chinese naval assets and peace negotiations would begin because the force projection China is capable of is much, much smaller than most people believe.

The real impact of a conflict would be the breakdown of the trading relationship between the two most important economic powers in the world, and the entire global economy would collapse overnight.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

https://newmatilda.com/2016/08/15/pauline-hanson-says-a-new-toilet-could-destroy-australian-way-of-life/

Pauline Hanson on the latest threat to the Australian way of life.

Squat toilets.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-15/tasmanian-treasurer-announces-budget-surplus/7734058

The Libs post a surplus based on a delay of spending, and trumpet the result as great financial management.

Muppets.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Frogmanv2 posted:

https://newmatilda.com/2016/08/15/pauline-hanson-says-a-new-toilet-could-destroy-australian-way-of-life/

Squat toilets.

quote:

Secondly, Hanson basically just suggested someone is going to break into your home, rip the bowl from the ground, and perform a mandatory bathroom renovation. This sounds more like the kind of reality TV pitch Channel Nine executives throw around when The Block is out of season than a serious cultural threat.

I'd un-ironically watch that show.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Frogmanv2 posted:

Squat toilets.

First they came for the toilet bowl, but I did not speak out because I was not a... toilet bowl?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I wish they'd install some here. The signs on correct toilet use don't seem to be solving the poo poo on the seat problem.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

open24hours posted:

I wish they'd install some here. The signs on correct toilet use don't seem to be solving the poo poo on the seat problem.

People who poo poo on a toilet seat tend not to be the greatest readers.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I wonder how many people see the sign and take it as a challenge.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico
I can't believe she honestly stated that the squatting toilets themselves aren't a threat, but it's a slippery slope and the Australian way of life starts to be eroded with the introduction of dynamic toileting.

Jesus... At least our villains are completely transparent, and obvious with their ideological flaws.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Pity we're too dense to see through it though.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Idiots leading idiots down an idiotic path.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

Frogmanv2 posted:

Idiots leading idiots down an idiotic path.

next thread title.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Redcordial posted:

I can't believe she honestly stated that the squatting toilets themselves aren't a threat, but it's a slippery slope and the Australian way of life starts to be eroded with the introduction of dynamic toileting.

Jesus... At least our villains are completely transparent, and obvious with their ideological flaws.

Australian culture, much like a toilet, is full of poo poo

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Solemn Sloth posted:

Australian culture, much like a toilet, is full of poo poo

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Redcordial posted:

It's a stupid person desperately trying to crowbar offence into cultural differences. Speaking of which, what the gently caress Leyonhjelm. I hope the Australian taxpayer isn't paying for this little fishing expedition.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Greyhound racing ban: Two charged over threatening to kill deputy premier Troy Grant

Police have arrested and charged two men after they allegedly threatened to kill NSW deputy premier Troy Grant, his family, and his staff over the government’s plan to close down the state’s greyhound industry.

The two men, aged 22 and 31, allegedly made the threatening phone calls to the offices of Mr Grant, the state’s police minster.

After a week-long investigation, they were arrested on Saturday by police from the Canobolas Local Area Command and taken to Orange Police Station in central western NSW.

“Detectives travelled from Dubbo and charged both men,” a police statement said.

The two men are members of the greyhound racing industry, which is due to be outlawed in NSW from July next year.

The 22-year-old man has been charged with using a carriage service to threaten to kill, and using a carriage service to menace/harass/offend.

The 31-year-old man has been charged with using a carriage service to menace/harass/offend.

Both men were given strict conditional bail to appear in Orange Local Court next month.

The office of Mr Grant, the member for the NSW seat of Dubbo, is referring all inquiries to NSW Police.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...d9dd8b2a046851a

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Lid posted:

When i want to rewrite my legacy i too will say i support something i opposed that was literally found illegal in the high court.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-15/party-for-freedom-stunt-disrupts-anglican-church-service/7733710

I did a documentary which featured Nick Folkes, and spent hours upon hours listening to him speak. He couldn't correctly say the word "Vietnamese", and it came out as "Vietmanese" every time. Not because he was racist, but because he is stupid as gently caress. I literally was reminded of people with brain damage when he spoke, and almost felt like we were exploiting a retard.

Anyway, Nick Folkes should move to the Central Coast, he'd fit in better there because his low IQ makes him stick out a bit in a crowd in Rozelle, where he lives.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

An Anglican minister has described an incident where an anti-Islam group disrupted his Sunday service as a "racist stunt" which traumatised many in his congregation.

Members of the group, Party for Freedom, were dressed in mock Islamic garb when they barged into the Gosford Anglican Church on the New South Wales Central Coast on Sunday.

They pretended to pray while playing Muslim prayers on a loudspeaker and criticised Islam before walking out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Major clusterfuck going down in Vic local government, 107 councillors facing disqualification from office :allears:

• Locked thread