Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The helicopter saber is funny because the inquisitors all get quickly murdered anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
*by Darth Maul, who then jacks Vader's TIE and runs away

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

turtlecrunch posted:

*by Darth Maul, who then jacks Vader's TIE and runs away

Actually it was one of the Inquisitor's TIEs. :goonsay:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
lame I prefer my version

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Roto-saber helicoptering aside, the duels with the inquisitors are fun and well done. Also, all episodes involving Ahsoka are really, really good in Rebels S2.

Scyantific posted:

Bad news folks: Kenny Baker just passed away :(

RIP2D2 :smith:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

RIP R2D2 :(

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Is there droid heaven? Obviously droids believe the Maker is an interventionist deity, but is there an afterlife for them?

Also how poo poo is the EU story discussing this?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I can't really recall any droid other thank C3PO mentioning "The Maker".

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Scyantific posted:

Bad news folks: Kenny Baker just passed away :(

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

R2D2 is the best part of Star Wars.

RIP dude :(

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I can't really recall any droid other thank C3PO mentioning "The Maker".

Well I mean his maker was Star Wars Jesus.......

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Here is another version of the sizzle reel that has different stuff in it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjALLJwjUQw

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

AStrangeDuelist posted:

Is anyone else kind of meh on Star Wars? I was really excited for TFA, then it came out and I thought it was a mess, then I started thinking it through and I realised that out of the dozens of books, the movies, and the TV shows I only really like ESB and KOTOR's 1&2.
Star Wars fans don't *twitches* -I'm looking forward to Rogue One!

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, there's a ton of stuff in Rebels that is pretty dumb. poo poo like this is canon now because of it:

Lmao, what the heck is this? This is dumb, even by Star Wars EU standards

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
My favourite thing is the inquisitors had been using the goofy spinning sabers and it had been... mostly fine but a bit silly.

Then in the big season finale they manifest helicopter powers and then all get killed immediately by darth maul presumably ending the spinning saber outright.

CrimsonAuthor
Nov 14, 2006

Barudak posted:

Is there droid heaven? Obviously droids believe the Maker is an interventionist deity, but is there an afterlife for them?

Also how poo poo is the EU story discussing this?

Of course there's a silicon heaven, where would all the calculators go?

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

CrimsonAuthor posted:

Of course there's a silicon heaven, where would all the calculators go?

Once you get there, its all just Gonks.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
The master will be gracing us with at least one more movie's worth of kickass tunes

http://nerdist.com/john-williams-to-begin-work-on-star-wars-episode-viii-soon/

woo

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48XWkN0jBQY

International trailer out

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
/\/\
That trailer throws out a crazy spoiler like right in the beginning lol

hhhat posted:

The master will be gracing us with at least one more movie's worth of kickass tunes

http://nerdist.com/john-williams-to-begin-work-on-star-wars-episode-viii-soon/

woo

Man I hope he can hold on to score Ep9. Would be nice to have all 9 movies with a Williams score. Gonna suck if he dies and there will always be that 1 out movie out. :(

Until epsidoes 10 -> 20 come out and more non williams ppl will have scored the major series.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

SaltLick posted:

International trailer out

Aww, they changed her delivery on "may the force be with us" to be less cheeky.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Jerkface posted:

/\/\

It's also the first hint of anything going on beyond pew-pew lasers, unless you followed spoiler news. I like it, and it looks like it will be pretty early in the movie anyways.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Wasn't that particular spoiler public knowledge? I thought it was revealed back in that magazine article a couple months ago

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Anywhere I can get a HD shot of Big Eyed Spunky Brunette facing down that TIE fighter? I think it would make a sweet background.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

jivjov posted:

Wasn't that particular spoiler public knowledge? I thought it was revealed back in that magazine article a couple months ago

I believe so. I'd also hazard a guess based on the context that it comes off fairly early in the film.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Jerkface posted:

/\/\

quote:

Mikkelsen has confirmed in multiple interviews who he will be playing a while ago. The unreleased ComicCon trailer also shows a couple of scenes at its beginning of Jyn with her father as a young girl and a scene of Jyn's father probably being kidnapped by the Empire. It looks like this is revealed right at the beginning of the movie and is what motivates the Rebels to reach out to Jyn in the first place.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
One of the weirdest subplots in the marketing of TFA and now R1 is this idea that you're now not only a character surrogate in the world you spent your whole life imagining, but this notion that JJ and Edwards and Johnson all grew up with Star Wars and are fans "just like you!" and that you should be excited on their behalf for landing all of our dream jobs. It's the Star Wars you always wanted, made by someone just like you and me!!!!!

Like, am I supposed to get excited and hyped by these behind-the-scenes looks at the directors as they're instructed to talk about how "real" everything is and how it's the totality of their life's dreams and fantasies? So much of the marketing for TFA was based around this notion of "can you believe we get to do this? How cool!"

It just seems like a reflexive involution to market the movie as being made by fans. It's like a Nickelodeon thing. By kids, for kids!

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 18, 2016

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Star Wars: the Trix of movies for millennials.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

You see that everywhere not just with TFA (other movies, sports, videogames ect)

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
You're supposed to get hype that someone who's just as huge a fan as you is in control of your favorite product, because in the past that product was soulless and automated, pushed by industry people who have no heart and don't understand how special your product is.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Freakazoid_ posted:

You're supposed to get hype that someone who's just as huge a fan as you is in control of your favorite product, because in the past that product was soulless and automated, pushed by industry people who have no heart and don't understand how special your product is.

There isn't an :ironicat: big enough

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
To be sure, back in the late 70s there was press about how Lucas and Spielberg and such had been longtime fans of old sci-fi movies. It's just that now we're talking about fans of the specific thing being worked on.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jewmanji posted:

One of the weirdest subplots in the marketing of TFA and now R1 is this idea that you're now not only a character surrogate in the world you spent your whole life imagining, but this notion that JJ and Edwards and Johnson all grew up with Star Wars and are fans "just like you!" and that you should be excited on their behalf for landing all of our dream jobs. It's the Star Wars you always wanted, made by someone just like you and me!!!!!

Who didn't?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

I mean there's grown up with it in the sense that you saw the movies and maybe some merchandising as a kid, and then there's stuff like this ad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mByznNYCWTY

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Adults in '77.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Sentences make more sense when you finish reading them.

But to answer your question as obtusely as you asked it: plenty of people.

There's a weird implicit bias where people assume you have to "get" Star Wars in order to "correct" what went wrong with Star Wars. And yet, Irvin Kershner and Richard Marquand were not steeped in Lucas' mythology when they set out to make a couple of sequels. And one was good and one was bad. The only reliable variable is: does this person have a good CV.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 19, 2016

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMmiNeVrbDk

They even edited the Death Star red alert sound into the song. loving brilliant.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 19, 2016

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Gonz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMmiNeVrbDk

They even edited the Death Star red alert sound into the song. loving brilliant.

Should've been A team theme IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Despite being called Rogue One, this feels a lot more like a Wraith Squadron mission.

I dig it.

• Locked thread