Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I can report that the Accelero III is quite amazing in the M1.

I have it set with the fans exhausting out the bottom, and with a mild (two thousand giga-wiggles) overclock and fans set to 20% speed it sits in maxed out 1440 benchmarks at ~50 degrees. It'll be nice when I get a mini-pwm cable so i can slave the fans to the gpu's fan control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I have a Silverstone 450 sfx modular power supply. Where can I get a longer atx 4/8 pin cable?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Coredump posted:

I have a Silverstone 450 sfx modular power supply. Where can I get a longer atx 4/8 pin cable?

Contact Silverstone directly. PSU cables are not standardised and you cannot simply plug in third-party cables.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Got it.

robostac
Sep 23, 2009
It's possible to buy extenders that would plug onto your current cable if silverstone aren't helpful, but obviously this won't be as nice.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Goddamn is the gigabyte waterforce card a pain in the rear end to mount in ANY case. Its worth it tho. I have my Ncase system assembled. The cables for the power supply are out of the way for airflow but they don't look pretty for this build. Installed hwinfo64 and my cpu is at 35c and gpu is 31c. Never thought I'd see the day my gpu is running cooler than my cpu.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 13, 2016

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Anyone here using the ITX Phanteks Evolv? What's airflow actually like? I've seen some chatter online about it choking GPUs.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
So the Fractal Node 202 doesn't have a speaker for the motherboard to connect to for the little beep noises, correct? I never found one. Is that unusual?

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Bass Bottles posted:

So the Fractal Node 202 doesn't have a speaker for the motherboard to connect to for the little beep noises, correct? I never found one. Is that unusual?
I think one out of three cases I've bought in the last decade have had a speaker included, so I'd say it's not unusual.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Same. In regards to motherboard speakers.

My temps are not my favorite with the Ncase at the moment. The GPU does fine. Problem is the gpu fan/radiator is pulling in fresh out from outside right above the psu. That's all good. But then that already heated air is what is getting pulled over to my nh-d9l cooler and cpu temps are not great right now. They're in safe limits but with what they get up to during gaming there's not really a chance of overclocking. I'm going to try and get a second fan for the cooler and see if that helps. But I'm thinking I'm going to have to get a aio cooler for the cpu and hope like hell I can figure out a way to get the loving stiff tubing on my gpu to cooperate to get the two radiators side by side. This guy got two aio coolers in his case so I know its possible: http://imgur.com/gallery/KpBDJ

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

honestly, I think you're past the limit of being sensible with a case that small. You obviously have money and the room for a bigger case. Why not just get something that actually fits what you're doing?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Coredump posted:

There are custom PSU cable makers that know what they're doing, you just input the PSU that you have and they will make it for you. They are however, a little expensive but you can get the exact length you need, and colors. I've never been so motivated, but it is an option.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Coredump posted:

Something like this? https://www.amazon.com/ATX-8-Pin-Extension-Cable-ATX-8P-EX/dp/B004LKASDO

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Coredump posted:

Problem is the gpu fan/radiator is pulling in fresh out from outside right above the psu. That's all good. But then that already heated air is what is getting pulled over to my nh-d9l cooler and cpu temps are not great right now.
Have you considered reversing the fan so it exhausts the hot air instead?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I'll see what effect the 2nd fan on my cpu cooler has. Then I'll try to reverse the fan and see if that helps. It'll be something to tinker with as time goes on. If the tubing wasn't so stiff on the gpu aio cooler I would just get me a cpu aio cooler for another intake and a fan to exhaust them both out the back and call it a day. Put there's also the pain of packing up the cooler I have and shipping it back. First world problems.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Can't you also fit a slim fan on the side bracket over the d9l? If so that could feed more fresh air in too.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
where do you guys get your cables from? I keep seeing these nice braided motherboard cables but I never seem to figure out where to buy them.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

negativeneil posted:

where do you guys get your cables from? I keep seeing these nice braided motherboard cables but I never seem to figure out where to buy them.
They're called sleeved cables. I looked into this once, but these are the only links in my notes I could find just now:

* http://www.icemodz.eu/
* https://hardforum.com/threads/guide-mdpc-x-sleeving-of-individual-cables-by-kamaster.1599965/
* http://www.overclock.net/t/1262900/frequently-asked-sleeving-questions

There's also the subreddits /r/CableManagement and /r/PCSleeving.

Dunno whether you may need to roll your own given the case size.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Newegg sells stuff by cablemod: https://cablemod.com

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&Manufactory=141446&N=50141446&IsNodeId=1&SpeTabStoreType=0

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

negativeneil posted:

You can buy sleeved cables from some OEMs too, just check out their accessories and search by the model of your PSU.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Sanity check time. I posted a few builds in the Parts thread before realizing that I was really after a console sized or smaller gaming (60fps @ 1080)/productivity PC that would last me a few years with WiFI on the mobo. The budget started at $800 before a monitor but as these things go I've blown the budget completely out, especially when it comes to storage as it looks like the RVZ02 can't take a standard HDD. I'm on the lookout for a cheaper GPU but the Zotac looks pretty good with dual fans and a relatively short body.

As far as I can tell everything should fit in the case, but I was also wondering if the stock cooler for the i5 is good enough in such a small case, or should I spring for an aftermarket cooler as well?

Also if any of you guys have some eagle eyes and see anywhere I'm missing some savings.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($204.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI H110I PRO AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($88.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($67.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($158.06 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 6GB AMP! Edition Video Card ($294.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Silverstone RVZ02B HTPC Case ($68.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Silverstone 500W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($125.84) USB stick version
Total: $1104.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-17 15:16 EDT-0400

Quite A Tool fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 17, 2016

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

$125 seems like $30-$40 too much for Windows. If that's because you want a USB version, just make it yourself.

Also I think the general wisdom with SFF builds is to only use blower-style GPUs?

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I honestly thought USB sticks cost more than they do, seeing a few on amazon for sub $10, so yeah I'll probably just end up making my own using the old laptop. I don't need to install Windows 10 on the laptop to create the USB version correct?

As far as a blower card goes, that leaves me mostly with a 1060 Reference or a RX480 then if I want to keep it in the $2-300 range for a card, right? I guess the nice thing with the 1060 Reference is I can get one mostly right away, whereas everything else is more or less out of stock.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I have a reference 1060 in a Node 202 case and it's great so far. People say blowers are supposed to be loud but it has been shockingly quiet.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

It only has to cool 120 watts though

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
How do you like the Node 202? Main reason I went with the Silverstone is because from what I read the RVZ02 is easier to build in, and I haven't built a computer since the 486 days. Having the option for a standard HD would be nice.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I would spring for an aftermarket cooler for better temps and less noise. But, it's not a necessity. You can try the stock cooler and then decide if you want more.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Quite A Tool posted:

How do you like the Node 202? Main reason I went with the Silverstone is because from what I read the RVZ02 is easier to build in, and I haven't built a computer since the 486 days. Having the option for a standard HD would be nice.

Full disclosure i built my computer like two weeks ago, my first time ever, and it did take me a couple days... But I also had very little time and made stupid mistakes like dropping screws.

The bottom is a pain to take off. It's held on by these snaps, and they murder your fingers. It's better to sort of... pry them back with a screwdriver. I dunno. It sucks, but you can figure it out.

Actually building in it is easy as long as you're not dumb (I was dumb) Jayztwocents and Hardware Canucks both have YouTube videos you can watch to see how it works. You definitely want a modular PSU.

Also, if you do get the node 202, be aware that to insert the GPU you need to remove part of the mid-section of the case. The manual will point out three screws on top to undo. There's actually a fourth, on the back of the case. The manual neglected to mention it! I only found it by watching them do it in the Hardware Canucks video.

Also, taking that GPU portion out early makes installing the motherboard way easier.

I like the case a lot. It looks nice and keeps things pretty cool, but you'll probably want a non-stock CPU cooler.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Well I did it. I got a Corsair H60 and the AIO on my video card to live together in the case. Its not pretty but cpu is idling at 30c and gpu is at 33c. I did intel burn test and my cpu fluctuated back and forth around the 50c mark. Hooray.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I ended up getting the RVZ02 case,reference 1060 and the AR06 cooler. I'm a little nervous about temps as its been pretty toasty here in Seattle the past few days and I don't have AC, but it shouldn't be a problem for most of the year.

I'll post with some impressions once I get it built next week.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Quite A Tool posted:

I ended up getting the RVZ02 case,reference 1060 and the AR06 cooler. I'm a little nervous about temps as its been pretty toasty here in Seattle the past few days and I don't have AC, but it shouldn't be a problem for most of the year.

I'll post with some impressions once I get it built next week.

If you're super worries just pop the filters out until it cools down. I've been running mine with the panels off all Summer because I got too lazy to put the panels back on after making a hardware change.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Coredump posted:

Same. In regards to motherboard speakers.

My temps are not my favorite with the Ncase at the moment. The GPU does fine. Problem is the gpu fan/radiator is pulling in fresh out from outside right above the psu. That's all good. But then that already heated air is what is getting pulled over to my nh-d9l cooler and cpu temps are not great right now. They're in safe limits but with what they get up to during gaming there's not really a chance of overclocking. I'm going to try and get a second fan for the cooler and see if that helps. But I'm thinking I'm going to have to get a aio cooler for the cpu and hope like hell I can figure out a way to get the loving stiff tubing on my gpu to cooperate to get the two radiators side by side. This guy got two aio coolers in his case so I know its possible: http://imgur.com/gallery/KpBDJ
That extra 100W on the last gen cards really makes a big difference it seems.

Just put together my NCASE with a GTX 1070 (the Gigabyte mini), 6600K with a mild OC (don't like pushing voltages anymore), NH-D9L, zero case fans (but I am using an ATX PSU that I orientated to exhaust). Idles at ~45K each (GPU fan off, CPU at lowest possible speed). 65 CPU/80 GPU at full load.

I'm planning to add a 120mm intake on the bottom, a 92mm intake on the back, and reorient the CPU cooler to blow upwards. I think that should leave me in a good place, esp. with the PSU being an extra exhaust.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Speaking of last gen card heat, I got rid of my GTX 970 (read: no discrete GPU now) in my i7-4790k based Core V1 machine and my CPU doesn't throttle anymore when I throw video to transcode in Handbrake for days on end. I'm a monster for using the stock Intel cooler on it, but I didn't really think that there was that much heat to deal with when playing games or anything else intensive. But the thing that's strange is that the GPU hardly ran when I did a lot of my CPU-intensive tasks - they were mutually exclusive I figured.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Is there any value in an Atom-powered Nettop from ~2010? We apparently stuck it in a drawer, and forgot about it until now.

2GB RAM, 250GB HDD, nt-330i Foxcon system...

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

sharkytm posted:

Is there any value in an Atom-powered Nettop from ~2010? We apparently stuck it in a drawer, and forgot about it until now.

2GB RAM, 250GB HDD, nt-330i Foxcon system...

LibreELEC perhaps? I'm still using my Foxconn of similar vintage for that, though mine is the AMD version.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

necrobobsledder posted:

Speaking of last gen card heat, I got rid of my GTX 970 (read: no discrete GPU now) in my i7-4790k based Core V1 machine and my CPU doesn't throttle anymore when I throw video to transcode in Handbrake for days on end. I'm a monster for using the stock Intel cooler on it, but I didn't really think that there was that much heat to deal with when playing games or anything else intensive. But the thing that's strange is that the GPU hardly ran when I did a lot of my CPU-intensive tasks - they were mutually exclusive I figured.

I guess that's just how finely balanced (crap) the stock cooler is on a 4790K. Can't even have an idling GPU in the same case without throttling. Poor thing is crying out for a decent cooler!

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Aug 23, 2016

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

lurksion posted:

That extra 100W on the last gen cards really makes a big difference it seems.

Yeah whenever Gigabyte's waterforce 1080 starts to get in stock I'm going to look at it. In the meantime I'm using a Corsair H60 cooler and temps are fine right now.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

HalloKitty posted:

I guess that's just how finely balanced (crap) the stock cooler is on a 4790K. Can't even have an idling GPU in the same case without throttling. Poor thing is crying out for a decent cooler!

Someone needs to rescue an old stock cooler from the trash heap and slap it on a 6700k.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Ncase report: custom psu cables make life much easier. :sun:

Also, hooked the Accelero fans up directly to the gpu via mini-4 pin. On the plus side, reactionary pwm control to the gpu temp; on the downside the minimum fan speed is 33% vs whatever I wanted to set it at when plugged into the motherboard header. (but was fixed instead of temperature based)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

El Scotch posted:

Ncase report: custom psu cables make life much easier. :sun:

Got a link? I just ordered an ncase m1 and want to have all the bits ready for when it arrives in 4+ weeks time.