Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
im going to preface this by saying i dont know any warjack names

my manager is a fuckin chode who runs those light merc jacks that can boost attack and damage for one focus, total, and then spends the whole game knockin poo poo down and movin poo poo around etc and also he runs gorton a lot

so gently caress him i'm gonna set his poo poo on fire and melt it with acid and then punch his face off with, example, hoarluk and strip his focus off of him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Literally The Worst posted:

my manager is a fuckin chode who runs those light merc jacks that can boost attack and damage for one focus, total, and then spends the whole game knockin poo poo down and movin poo poo around etc and also he runs gorton a lot

so gently caress him i'm gonna set his poo poo on fire and melt it with acid and then punch his face off with, example, hoarluk and strip his focus off of him

Sounds like you'd like Hoarluk3 then. Implacability stops things in your battlegroup from getting knocked down or moved around and his feat synergizes nicely with everything getting Hyper-Regeneration.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ShowTime posted:

Sounds like you'd like Hoarluk3 then. Implacability stops things in your battlegroup from getting knocked down or moved around and his feat synergizes nicely with everything getting Hyper-Regeneration.

hello yes i would like something called Hyper Regeneration

edit holy jesus that feat is dope and hyper regeneration is dope and im rubbing my phone against my body and cooing

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

hello yes i would like something called Hyper Regeneration

edit holy jesus that feat is dope and hyper regeneration is dope and im rubbing my phone against my body and cooing

:dance: it begins :dance:

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

ShowTime posted:

Horgle is a bit of a goof. He is awesome with Pyre Trolls but not as good with Slags. Boosted attack damage rolls for 1 fury ain't bad on an AOE3. Him, 1x Pyre Troll and a unit of Fire Eaters is only 20pts, which is a pretty nasty little harassing force. Assault spray Fire Eaters, Pyre Troll animus and charge in with 2 fury still to boost. 2x initials at a power 14 isn't amazing, but it does damage and then you have a pissed off Pyre Troll in their midst that sets things on fire as it dies.

Calandra is very good. Befuddle absolutely anything since you sit at 8 Fury and can reroll whatever you want. Move closer, butt face, easy charge target or even better, Highwaymen + Braylen for 22x RNG 8 attacks that roll 3 dice and all 1's and 2's get rerolled. And Braylen is even sitting at a power 12 and not a Pow 10 like her lackies. Only problem is that Highwaymen are medium bases and getting everything into position can be a bit tough. Bullet Dodger and Star-Crossed are amazing together (and apart), Soothing Song is fantastic for running hot and a spell to knock things down. One of the best spell lists i've seen on a Warlock.

If I was recommending stuff to a new player, Calandra, Madrak2 and Ragnar would be the 3x Warlocks i'd recommend. Enough variety there to cover any army you want to run.

Thanks for this. I just came up on a large collection of trolls from a guy getting out of the game (family reunion, EE, RoW capable, plus extras).

Gonna be fun learning a new faction/game.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Can a winter guard artillery captain (fuk u I'm not spelling it with a k) use artillerist on a warjack? His other abilities say they work on weapon crews but artillerist says friendly faction model.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Can a winter guard artillery captain (fuk u I'm not spelling it with a k) use artillerist on a warjack? His other abilities say they work on weapon crews but artillerist says friendly faction model.

Yes.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

The Trencher equivalent in Mk2 and now 3 could, and I frequently used it with the Grenadier. I'm pretty sure it's intentional.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

:circlefap: I've been doodling lists and I'm pretty sure the 50 points I want to build to is Karchev, a behemoth, a juggernaut, a destroyer or two, mechanics and an artillery captain. Then something cheapish to round it all out. Behemoth boosting its shots and then getting artillerist seems filthy

Edit: something like this maybe?

War Room Army

Khador

Theme: No Theme Selected
49 / 50 Army

Karchev the Terrible - WJ: +30
- Behemoth - PC: 24 (Battlegroup Points Used: 24)
- Juggernaut - PC: 12 (Battlegroup Points Used: 6)
- Destroyer - PC: 16
- Torch - PC: 18

Winter Guard Artillery Kapitan - PC: 3

Battle Mechaniks - Leader & 3 Grunts: 3
- Battle Mechanik Officer - PC: 3

GENERATED : 08/12/2016 12:41:40
BUILD ID : 2023.16-07-31

tallkidwithglasses fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 12, 2016

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Yeah i've been running artillery kapitan on behemoth for the last little while. Dude is amazing and is probably going to be another khador auto-include. Giving your behemoth 3 33% chances to kill an eiryss or other annoying stealth solo with his guns is just way too good.

Personally, for your above list, I recommend dropping the destroyer down to a cheaper warjack (berseker, etc) and taking a cheap unit of something. Even if it's just a pod of widowmakers or eliminators.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
How about this then? Kinda tickled by how the mechanics can heal everything except the artillery captain.

50 / 50 Army

- Torch - PC: 18 (Battlegroup Points Used: 6)
- Kodiak - PC: 13

Man-O-War Shocktroopers - Leader & 2 Grunts: 10

GENERATED : 08/12/2016 13:29:16

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

I have a dream where I run Nemo1 into an entire army of Gunbunnies and disrupt his entire army on feat turn.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

How about this then? Kinda tickled by how the mechanics can heal everything except the artillery captain.

50 / 50 Army

- Torch - PC: 18 (Battlegroup Points Used: 6)
- Kodiak - PC: 13

Man-O-War Shocktroopers - Leader & 2 Grunts: 10

GENERATED : 08/12/2016 13:29:16

I'd drop a unit of battle mechs for the full shocktroopers and call it a win. Battle mechaniks are great, but you'll find in a lot of games that things will get one-rounded off the table more often than not, and having a surplus of mechaniks doesn't help you.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

S.J. posted:

:dance: it begins :dance:

THE CARDS AND I NEED ALONE TIME

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
just be careful of paper cuts

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
That's why you sleeve them. Also makes for easier clean up.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

waah posted:

Having bought into xwing, I don't know if it is actually cheaper. If you have faction ADD or just buy cool units probably not. But if you are the type to slow grow into a 75 point list and stick with one or two casters until you KNOW them I think the two games are a wash. But you can easily spend a small fortune chasing the dragon on X-wing when very good cards are only obtainable by buying $70+ dollar ships that 95% of players will never use.
I was assuming collecting a WMH faction and not just building a couple of lists, yeah. And that can easily go up to a thousand even if you're not a completionist.

I mapped out what I'd need to play a Scum list in X-Wing once and it ended up costing slightly under €200. That included a Core set and two or three ships I wouldn't use and would only buy for cards.
Building a 75 point list for that money would be hard but could be done, and you wouldn't end up with a bunch of poo poo you don't even need, so, yeah, I can see how at least starting X-Wing isn't cheaper than starting WMH.

e: also, re: the Artillery Kapitan. From memory, but this list is pretty legit, by which I mean I played and lost against it twice.

http://conflictchamber.com/#b31b767w7x7Y7V7-8tgaga7ZfQbPdg

Khador Army - 71 / 75 points

(Vladimir 1) Vladimir Tzepesci, The Dark Prince [+28]
- Behemoth [24]
- Drago [14]
Winter Guard Rifle Corps (max) [13]
- Winter Guard Rocketeer (2) [4]
Winter Guard Mortar Crew [5]
Kovnik Jozef Grigorovich [4]
Winter Guard Artillery Kapitan [3]
Winter Guard Artillery Kapitan [3]
Winter Guard Field Gun Crew [4]
Black Dragons (max) [17]
- Black Dragon Officer & Standard [4]
Iron Fang Kovnik [4]

No idea what the last points were used for. I think maybe Mechaniks?

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 13, 2016

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

S.J. posted:

Let's do it.

Maybe next year. All my vacation time is gone and I work that Saturday and Sunday.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
I'm running a Tournament next weekend. Of the 8 people who submitted lists so far, 7 submitted Khador or Cygnar :(

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
About the meta discussion: I'm only 5 weeks in as a regular player but after about 4 or 5 on game night the wmh group at my local store fills the room aside from the few older gentlemen still hanging out playing flames of war or historicals, or the handful of 'hams.

We get people from 1 state on either side coming in regularly on weeknights. Back when I played Magic seriously or even warhams we got like 6-8 people on a weekend. SC is not the hoppingest meta but aside from my "war caster spike" experience and a few 'spergs that want to tell you all about the lore I've had nothing but fun. It may be because I am older or possibly because the meta is older, but it's super accepting to new players and going for beers after games is even better.

Even as a Cryx player.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Luebbi posted:

I'm running a Tournament next weekend. Of the 8 people who submitted lists so far, 7 submitted Khador or Cygnar :(

I mean, to be fair those were probably the two most popular factions in Mk2 at least as far as people who didn't pick their factions based on tournament performance. Now that they're top of the gaming heap you've got people like me who played their faction cause they loved it plus the faction hoppers.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
I started playing some Kreoss 3 and I am getting absolutely wrecked every game. My battlegroup is really weak apparently. I'm currently bringing a Crusader, a Castigator, and a Vanquisher. I try to do the rolling ignite, plus the battle chant from the choir, but I can never seem to take opposing jacks down. In one of the games I had all 3 jacks wrecked in a single turn. I do play scenario games, so I try to get my jacks into a good offensive position while still scoring, or at least denying scoring, but I can never seem to follow through.

I also have an Avatar, but I'm not sure how he'd do either. As far as support goes, I have all of the Menoth tools at my disposal: Choir, Covenant, Vassals, a Mechanik. I don't know what else to do besides throw money to get better things.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Objective : Armoury
Intercessor Kreoss - WJ: +28
- Fire of Salvation - PC: 16 (Battlegroup Points Used: 16)
- Reckoner - PC: 16 (Battlegroup Points Used: 12)
- Vanquisher - PC: 17

High Exemplar Gravus - PC: 9
Wrack - PC: 1

Choir of Menoth - Leader & 3 Grunts: 4
Exemplar Vengers - Leader & 4 Grunts: 20
Idrian Skirmishers - Leader & 9 Grunts: 15
- Idrian Skirmisher Chieftain & Guide - Chieftain & Guide: 5

With this list you'll have AD Idrians that you want to put Arcane Ward on as soon as possible. Def 15-19 makes people cry.

Your Vengers take a flank, try to keep on in range of Kreoss walking over and putting Ignite on them.

Gravus tries to collect Venger souls while keeping Kreoss from being knockdown.

Fire of Salvation should be behind your Idrians so that you can Righteous Vengeance him off to murder things 14-16 inches away.

Vanquisher goes for squishes, even if they are immune to blast damage since it will at least set them on fire.

Reckoner can either act as another melee beat stick it hang it back mid field so it can snipe solos out and then beat things in the face as a second line jack.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Went 3*-0* today!

I need to start taking pictures.

Game 1 was Vlad2 v Siege. It went fairly quick. He advanced, I advanced, he took some shots and threw down some covering fire, I went, feated, charged and killed a bunch of poo poo, charged some powered up eliminators straight through his covering fire. The next turn he did a few things and then decided he couldn't win, and instead should have blown Vlad off the table a turn earlier ( he def had the math to do it).

Game 2 was also quick. Zerko1 v Denny1. I went first, moved up the board, he moved up, then on my turn I get bold and throw my guys in his face via a mini feat on the IFP and tough + a run on the WGI. I also feat (poorly), catching little. I'm really not sure why I did it then, just playing badly.

He goes, feats, and absolutely decimates my army. Like, all the IFP except 1 dead, and 4 WGI left alive. He also puts some damage on my Kodiak and did other rude things. On my turn my 'jacks are all out of range to do anything, he's closing in on me, so I say gently caress it and throw the Hail Mary. Zerko is just in range to get to Denny with a pair of fully boosted frost hammers, the first of which is sylas'd. The second one crit freezes her, but she still has 5 life left. The WGI mini feat, 1 guy is in range, and he rolls the exact damage he needs to spray Denny down. It was a horseshit win and so I put the * next to it.

Game 3 was brutally long. I ran the following...

Malakov2
-Behemoth
-Beast09
-Torch
Drakhun
Fenris
Kovnik Joe
Eliminators
WGRC

he ran this...

Witch Coven
-Kraken
-Deathjack
-Deathripper
-Detahripper
Birbs (carrion something?)
The dragoon dude
Moorclaw
Gorman
The Cryx mechanic thingy

We did the usual advance up the table thingy, where he ended up just catching the edge of all my men with his Feat. The next turn I backpedalled and took some shots, but mostly nothing happened. I ran my eliminators into his face because that's what they do.
On his go he charges the Kraken into the WGRC and honestly doesn't do much, he misses an attack and after toughs ends up killing 2 of them. His kill shot rolls snake eyes and misses. His birbs run into my line and are generally annoying. They do 5 damage to Fenris as well. Deathjack murders my eliminators because that's what he does. The Jerk.

On my turn I move some dudes around and then pop my Feat. Malakov also throws throat cutter on the Drakhun, and pops down a veil of mists for him. The Drakhun charges the Kraken and gets back arc, rolling a ball crushing 5 damage dice at -5, dealing 16 damage. He repositions to an annoying spot. Behemoth moves up next to Malakov and takes a few shots, dealing a few dmg to the Kraken and killing the cryx mechanic thing, Torch torches some birbs, and Beast09 threshers some other birbs. Fenris kills a few birds too, but he also misses twice and is a huge loser. The rifle corps line up along the edge of the kraken and ping shots at moorclaw, doing little.

On his turn he can't really touch my jacks and doesn't try. Deathjack charges the Drakhun and dismounts him, but he was at his max range so when I dismount I pop down outside his melee. He casts a spell into me but misses and hits his Kraken, dealing a few dmg. This ruins his plan so he ends up sweeping some rifle corps off the table, pings a shot into my objective (he can't risk behemoth getting a free advance and can't see the other guys due to the cloud). He buys some attacks and squishes the Drakhun. Birbs and fenris continue fighting and nobody dies. He runs his arc node out of the fights and Fenris rolls 5 on 4 dice for damage. Gorman blinds Fenris. (rude!)

On my turn I am in range to counter attack and murder some dudes. Behemoth charges the Kraken, rolls poorly on all his dice, and leaves it with 4 hp. And a cortex. gently caress. Beast 09 charges Deathjack, rolls poorly on his dice, and leaves it with a cortex. Fuuuuuuuck. He does manage to thresher the arc node out of the game, which is nice. I can't take Moorclaw off the table so I am scared. Malakov runs away behind a forest, Malakov stylez. Torch charges the dragoon dude, rolls poorly on his dice, and only manages to dismount it. loving fuucckckck. Fenris misses the goddamn loving carrion fuckers. The 2 remaining Winter Guard do nothing.

His turn he slaps focus on his guys and does things. The Kraken gets repaired and scraps Behemoth (rolling 11 and 12 on damage rolls because why not?). Deathjack has no arms so it scratchs up Beast 09, and his dragoon guy adds a few damage to Beast. Gorman blinds Torch, the birds dismount Fenris finally. Coven does coven-y things (continues to hide in the trench).

On my turn I do some things which sees Deathjack and the Kraken off the table. He's down to 2 birds, moorclaw, the dragoon (dismounted), Gorman, and the coven. Malakov is in a spot where he can get murdered, so I'm freaking out. The remaining rifle corps guy move up, pings a shot at said dragoon, and hits and kills him. Woo! At this point I'm feeling good.

He goes, move gorman up, adn throws an acid bomb in Malakovs face, rolling 12 on damage. I take 10 because I had no focus and no sucker targets. Shiiiit. Fortunately, he's not in range with anything else. Moorclaw charges Beast09, does insane damage rolls, and cuts off both his arms. The Coven fucks up torch some.

On my turn I kill Moorclaw, kill Gorman with a Fenris charge, run Malakov behind cover (near my jacks), and Torch throws some flamethrower at the coven, doing not much. His turn he casts some spells at my jacks and concedes, with just his Warcaster unit on the table.

It was like a 3 hour game and nobody scored any drat points because it was the rectangle zone with the 2 flags, 2 objectives deal. Brutally stupid rolling all around and just a plain silly game. Malakov's feat is rad as hell and a huge 'gently caress you!' to Colossals.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Got my Aiakos and Elara today. Other than Elara having a sort of silly way of holding her double polearm thing and vaguely wishing that Aiakos was a little more different than his first incarnation, I love these. Fantasic sculpts. I've been toying with running Elara as a Mage Hunter loyalist with a bunch of the cool Mage Hunter stuff, like the Assasins, Narn, and Eiryss3 leading a MHSF. Toss in Lanyssa and the potential for downtown assassinations gets pretty intense.

Random question, did any of the upgraded juniors keep any of their original spells?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
so i think i mentioned here that one of our mutants refuses to play against another member of the community because he got beat so badly, but now i have the whole story

they're both in journeyman league. the one dude wasn't taking new units because he wanted to save his points and field a colossal (which is kinda dope), and he was still winning (even more dope)

so he played the mutant, with a massive points handicap, and curb stomped the guy so hard that he rage quit and now refuses to play against him

also the dude who rage quit was super mad that the other guy was banking his points to take a colossal anyway

i love this game

fake edit also i helped a manager build a dope as gently caress 200 point khador list tonight that includes a conquest and a gun carriage and is just gonna be about raining hellfire down on poo poo.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

theironjef posted:

Got my Aiakos and Elara today. Other than Elara having a sort of silly way of holding her double polearm thing and vaguely wishing that Aiakos was a little more different than his first incarnation, I love these. Fantasic sculpts. I've been toying with running Elara as a Mage Hunter loyalist with a bunch of the cool Mage Hunter stuff, like the Assasins, Narn, and Eiryss3 leading a MHSF. Toss in Lanyssa and the potential for downtown assassinations gets pretty intense.

Random question, did any of the upgraded juniors keep any of their original spells?

Malakov kept Razor Wind!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
after careful consideration ive decided that horgle plus a bunch of pyre trolls is real fuckin neato

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

after careful consideration ive decided that horgle plus a bunch of pyre trolls is real fuckin neato

After careful consideration and no play testing I've decided that trolls are a bunch of broken garbage and I'm quitting and burning my warmans. A bloo a bloo a bloo.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
After farting around with a couple coworkers' battle boxes i feel like I made

Not the wrong choice

Just the choice that requires the most work

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

also the dude who rage quit was super mad that the other guy was banking his points to take a colossal anyway

In fairness it is illegal. Prime states that a list can't be more than 5 points below the game level. This rule plus the current point increase sizes means it is impossible to get a colossal/gargantuan in the journeyman league.

Not saying he isn't a tool. Just that he's technically correct about this one aspect.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

After farting around with a couple coworkers' battle boxes i feel like I made

Not the wrong choice

Just the choice that requires the most work
If it's any consolation, the Mk3 battle box is at least slightly less bad than the Mk2 one.

But you should still think twice about entering a journeyman league.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Wizard Styles posted:

If it's any consolation, the Mk3 battle box is at least slightly less bad than the Mk2 one.

But you should still think twice about entering a journeyman league.

Oh i didn't. I work too many closing shifts to be able to do events. I'm mostly in it for building dope monsters and making them fight my coworkers' robots/monsters after we close

And also having superglue accidents that leave my hands looking like I have a horrifying skin condition

The journeyman league is just something the store I work at is putting on

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

CaptCommy posted:

Malakov kept Razor Wind!

you're dead to me

when the gently caress are AKs getting a plastic kit i'm not dropping a hundo on some old busted rear end metal scrunts

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Oh i didn't. I work too many closing shifts to be able to do events. I'm mostly in it for building dope monsters and making them fight my coworkers' robots/monsters after we close

And also having superglue accidents that leave my hands looking like I have a horrifying skin condition

The journeyman league is just something the store I work at is putting on

Oh god seriously when I was assembling most of my army I chewed on my fingers constantly to try to get the superglue off because the stuff drove me up the wall and it made me look like a crazy person.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Magres posted:

Oh god seriously when I was assembling most of my army I chewed on my fingers constantly to try to get the superglue off because the stuff drove me up the wall and it made me look like a crazy person.

gently caress that I work at a comic book store I leave that poo poo on, most of the people I see just shake their heads sadly and laugh because it's funny how bad I am at glue

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Ah I work on a computer basically all day and the texture of my fingers being wrong when I'm typing drives me totally insane.

My trick at this point is to use partial unfolded paper clips and torn+rolled paper towels to respectively apply or remove glue as needed. It has really cut down on how much of the stuff I get coated on my fingers.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Well, in that case I think the troll box is actually a good buy. At least I've seen all the beasts in it get played. It's just that not having a heavy in there is pretty bad.

Magres posted:

Ah I work on a computer basically all day and the texture of my fingers being wrong when I'm typing drives me totally insane.
Same.
I use nitrile gloves now, and whenever I can I use green stuff instead of glue.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.
An emery board works wonders for getting dried super glue off your hands. Just grind that poo poo right off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Wizard Styles posted:

Well, in that case I think the troll box is actually a good buy. At least I've seen all the beasts in it get played. It's just that not having a heavy in there is pretty bad.\

that is exactly what i've figured out over a few games with it.

but now that i actually have some understanding of how the game works i'm assembling a list that just shoots fire and runs at things that are on fire and then sets more things on fire and also hyper regeneration what whaaaaat