Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

How do I play someone else's replay? I've never watched one before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Arcturas posted:

How do I play someone else's replay? I've never watched one before.

You take the save replay, move it into your replays folder for the game and then run it through the game client.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Yukitsu posted:

Tournament organizer! You should commentate these in some capacity. :commissar:

Yeah it'd be easy, just overlay five minutes of laughing over my matches :v:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Yukitsu posted:

You take the save replay, move it into your replays folder for the game and then run it through the game client.

That folder is user/appdata/roaming/thecreativeassembly/warhammer/replays, by the way.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
What is the best mod to play as the same race for a Co-op multiplayer campaign?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
How CPU intensive is Rome 2? I have a 980ti video card but only a 2500k for a CPU.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

If I liked this game can I go back and play Shogun 2 / Fall of the Samurai now, or will I hate it in comparison to Warhammer?

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

The Lone Badger posted:

If I liked this game can I go back and play Shogun 2 / Fall of the Samurai now, or will I hate it in comparison to Warhammer?

FotS is pretty fun I think, but it's definitely visually dated and the diversity of races is significantly less.

Edit: I agree the FotS 1860's stuff is amazing.
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

1st_Panzer_Div. fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 14, 2016

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Shogun II is quite well-balanced, but the factional differences are pretty small (with a couple exceptions). FotS is not remotely balanced (four units of artillery can defeat anything, unless the terrain is godawful), but it's a lot of fun to play around with 1860s gear.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?
Commentary on the matches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcSK1NUCjsE

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm trying a Vampire Counts play through where I only build the tier 1 scrub units along with heroes. It's very difficult because despite researching the appropriate tech, crypt ghouls, zombies, and skeletal spearmen are all really bad against armored units, and Chaos keep rolling over me with chariots.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

I'm probably hella late to the party, but did the buffs to explosion damage buff searing doom? Because it seems way better nowadays. Still not great, but better.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
Anyone else unable to get the game to load anymore? LIke i start the game and its stuck in the initial splash page with all the legal crap on it.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
I can still load mine..

I don't like this orc campaign.. find myself using auto-resolve quite often. Took over the entire SE corner of the map, on my way to destroying Border Princes and Estalia stuff and Chaos invasion shows up at the southern tip of the badlands.. 4 full stacks and Now i'm wondering how I'm going to move my stacks up north down south in time.

4th Horseman
Jun 3, 2011
The dudes who invade the badlands each time ain't poo poo. Just poor excuses for regular chaos.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

Anyone else unable to get the game to load anymore? LIke i start the game and its stuck in the initial splash page with all the legal crap on it.

Check your mods, old ones that have not been updated to the latest patch have a chance of doing exactly this. Check for mods that change unit stats or starting locations.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Verify your files in Steam after you've unsubscribed to them as well.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Brutal.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

I don't play multi, but I haven't used wind of death very often.

I should probably change that :stare:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Gitro posted:

I don't play multi, but I haven't used wind of death very often.

I should probably change that :stare:

Wind of Death isn't quite as powerful usually, it's very easy to see coming and to dodge because the general has to hold still on your flank and then take a long time to cast. Usually advancing or retreating your line when you see it coming will make them dodge almost all of it.

It absolutely wrecks you the first time you run into it though. You end up paying a lot of attention to where the VC General is.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
A checkerboard formation helps, in that it generally halves the potential number of victims for WoD in case you fail to dodge it.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jesus gently caress, that Wind of Death.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
Can we get a good mod list somewhere in the opening posts?

Also, how do you get the stuff of legend achievement? Koleck soloed an low health army with the bar full red and I didn't get it?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

How CPU intensive is Rome 2? I have a 980ti video card but only a 2500k for a CPU.

I have a 970 and still rock a AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.5 ghz, runs Rome 2 and Warhammer well at high settings. If you are overclocking the 2500k you should crush it on high.

You can always buy it on steam and see how it runs and refund it if it performs poorly.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

And the Z Vs Z matches are done! Congrats to ZoninSilver for some pretty tough matches and an excellent display of micro, he did as best as he could and won, breaking up my formations pretty nicely. Good luck up ahead!

http://srbja.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/110182564/Ronin%20Vs%20Zearoth%201.replay
http://srbja.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/110182567/Ronin%20Vs%20Zearoth%202.replay
http://srbja.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/110182570/Ronin%20Vs%20Zearoth%203.replay

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
In the first match the Empire was outgunned by the Greenskin Doom Diver catapults. In that case I feel it is a waste of artillery to try and counter-battery the opponent. Actually, I believe that counter-battery fire is a waste of artillery in general in Warhammer.

If you have more artillery, you can force your opponent to react by destroying their troops faster than they can destroy yours. Whereas if you are outgunned, you may as well begin the advance immediately to reduce the amount of time you spend getting shot, while softening up the enemy troops with your own guns. But shooting their guns is unlikely to accomplish much of value. Either the chariots of the Boar Boy Big 'Unz would have been my choice instead. The Greenskins on the other hand began targeting the most powerful Empire troops right away, their Greatswords. Although for some reason they later switched to targeting the Crossbowmen, despite the preponderance of Greatswords on the field.

Triple-teaming the Wyvern Boss with the griffons and Manticore is a classic Empire move by this point. It's basically a skit of a wrestler being beaten up in the parking lot. I would have ordered the Manticore to chase the Boss off the field after he broke the first time, since they very often rally. Otherwise, the Manticore should accompany a character for the morale boost since it's prone to fleeing, as it later did. The Greenskins targeting of the weakest flyers first was sound, especially since Manticores and Amber Griffons are less armoured and ineligible to take healing potions.

Their total absence of armour piercing units allowed the Greatswords to clown on the Orc infantry and the Reiksguard were prudently sacrificed to keep the armour-piercing Boar Boy Big 'Unz at bay, leaving the Greenskins with nothing to put down the Greatswords with. The Empire army seemed a bit small, so I wonder how expensive those characters were and whether it was really necessary to have Reiksguard instead of regular knights.

---

In the second match I knew the Beastmen won, but was very curious to see how they managed it. I think the Dwarfs could have done with bringing a single artillery piece to pelt the BM front line with, since it would have put pressure on them to advance before their hidden units were in position. As it was, ZoninSilver took his sweet time positioning his troops. Indeed, he brought a Cygor, forcing the Dwarfs into an ignominious charge (or intemperate waddle) across the field.

The Razorgor herd was devastating to the expensive Hammerers. I've overlooked that unit in the past, but I now see they are something to keep an eye on.

Minotaurs are highly vulnerable to shooting, and the fact they got into melee without having to run a gauntlet of crossbow fire was very helpful to ZoninSilver.

ZoninSilver did a good job of fragmenting the Dwarf line and having them spend their effort their cutting down his Gor chaff, while he focused his best units on taking down one section of the Dwarf army at a time. Dwarfs lack of mobility make them highly vulnerable to such a strategy. ZearothK could have used his Dwarf Warriors to buy time for the rest of his army to fight the BM elites instead. Hammerers are twice as expensive as Gors so it's a waste of their time hacking them down.

Gyrocopters seem like they'd be good against BM. BM have no flying units so they'd be good for harassing units like Minotaurs before they become a problem. But my top recommendation would be avoiding Dwarfs altogether, they seem weak at present.

---

In the third match, Zonin's boxy formations took extra casualties from the rock-lobbing Cygor. Protip: Shoot the Cygor until it dies Overcasting Urannons Thunderbolt is quite fun against Cygors as long as they don't move out of the way.

I feel that the Bretonnians were lacking a way to harass the Minotaurs at range. Yeoman missile cavalry would be my choice, and more effective than the Trebuchets. Infantry not being braced for the Minotaur charge is painful to watch! Luckily for ZoninSilver, concentrated bowman fire mitigated it somewhat. The Minotaurs could have spread out a bit since they are quite fast and could easily have split up and run around to the Bowmen and other engaged infantry.

The cycle-charging flyers and cav were certainly doing their jobs as you'd expect, but the peasants were bunched up and unprepared. As always, Bretonnia is let down by it's lessers.

I doubt that Minotaurs are really the way to go against Bretonnia. They can't catch the bretonnian units that really matter.

Mukip fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 14, 2016

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Mukip posted:

I played my rounds vs Triskelli. Empire vs Dwarfs and Bretonnians vs Orcs. I am advancing to the next bracket and am a step closer to awarding myself my own fabulous prizes. Replays:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxL-q9Tcsh-aMG5hSzlrTFJqMUU/view?usp=sharing

One of the themes of these matches was vanguard deployment accidents. Also I played on ultra size by accident.

I'll offer my own commentary when I get the chance, but to summarize there were a ton of forced and unforced errors on my part, with Vanguard Deployment being the biggest culprit in the second match.

Is there any possibility of running a loser's bracket?

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
I could certainly arrange a loser's bracket.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011

Mukip posted:

If you have more artillery, you can force your opponent to react by destroying their troops faster than they can destroy yours. Whereas if you are outgunned, you may as well begin the advance immediately to reduce the amount of time you spend getting shot, while softening up the enemy troops with your own guns. But shooting their guns is unlikely to accomplish much of value. Either the chariots of the Boar Boy Big 'Unz would have been my choice instead. The Greenskins on the other hand began targeting the most powerful Empire troops right away, their Greatswords. Although for some reason they later switched to targeting the Crossbowmen, despite the preponderance of Greatswords on the field.

I think at the point where I first switched to the crossbows, the greatswords were in melee and I wouldn't trust the doom divers to do more damage to the greatswords than my own guys, though I probably missed opportunities to retarget as the boyz started routing.
My biggest regret was probably that I didn't use my chariot enough on the greatswords, instead using it a lot on the crossbows who while dangerous were the lesser threat, though I was pleasantly surprised by how much it actually got done, probably the first time I really saw an orc one do some okay work actually!

Edit: For the final round, talking about it we both felt like the biggest issue for the beastmen was having very few chaff units, meaning that even when the minotaurs got decent charges against non-bracing units, there were plenty of fresher pointy things coming their way and eventually overwhelming them.

Very much appreciated your writeups! Assuming no one else is doing so, I may try my hand at recording and doing some post-game commentary on my own either later today or tommorow.

ZoninSilver fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 14, 2016

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I noticed an interesting effect of how the game checks for in range AOE buffs, or at least specifically the Vampire Counts AOE regen field that the necromancers put out.

If you have two (or more) regen AOE's that overlap, then move one of the necromancers out of range(but still leave one in range) you will LOSE ALL REGEN (despite still having one in range) until you either move a second back into range or move the single remaining necro out of range and then back into range. So be careful if you are attempting to stack AOE effects because 1. they don't stack and 2. you might lose it entirely. Not sure if this applies to other AOE style buffs yet. I tested it in the below video, very odd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7HJUfRvf4E

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Aug 14, 2016

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
https://www.dropbox.com/s/epk2c2d20s757ok/round%201%20sammut%20v%20guderian.replay?dl=0 Sammut v Guderian Round 1, VC v Empire
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fzg4i60szmvlggm/round%202%20sammut%20v%20guderian.replay?dl=0 Round 2, Beastmen v Dwarves
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ei8cynaxh888qg9/round%203%20sammut%20v%20guderian.replay?dl=0 Round 3, VC v Beastmen

Well played to Guderian.

For some commentary, I would say Round 1 don't want to bring 3 cannons against VC. VC have no artillery or range so they usually have no choice but to rush you anyways so artillery generally won't have long enough to shoot to pay for themselves. One cannon can be good just to apply some pressure and force them to be aggressive and maybe over-aggressive and make a mistake. Luminarks can be a good artillery piece against VC though as being able to pop vampire lords is pretty useful for beating them (although it was nerfed 50% damage so maybe it's not that good now, haven't used it since the patch).

Round 2 was down to the wire. Was my first time playing beastmen against dwarves and made some poor unit choices (ungors, should've went for armor piercing instead), used my minotaurs poorly (shouldn't have rushed them in first, forgot with their high speed they'd lead the way) and could've targeted my cygors more efficiently at certain points. Good use of runes to wear my beastman army out.

Round 3 I had a feeling after seeing my beastman army of mostly weaker units go down in flames that this time it would be a punchier minotaur centered build so I picked based on countering that so this would've been a very difficult win for the beastmen.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

wiegieman posted:

That folder is user/appdata/roaming/thecreativeassembly/warhammer/replays, by the way.

Thanks, this is the piece I was missing.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Agreed on the cannons. You can't go wrong with a single cannon unit in most Empire armies but I don't see much cause for two, much less three. It also makes the opponent want to bum rush you so you get less time to shoot them. rockopete's Empire army is very small in this match. He lacks the sheer quantity of troops necessary to hold the line against VC. Not much to say about this match, the army was too drat small!

In the second round, rockopete's love of phallic war machinery continues. This seemed like a very Warhammer scene: a bunch of Dwarfs on a hill, surrounded by hordes of scum. Quarreller ignoring charging Minotaurs is another lucky break for them. But once the Dwarfs deathballed and started runesmithing, not even some nice rock-throwing and explosive spellcasting by the Beastmen could make up for qualitative difference in troops, although the Dwarfs endurance here was remarkable with lots of units hanging on by a thread. Bestigors might have been a better choice than Minotaurs for a more prolonged battle. This match was about as close as it gets.

In the third match rockopete returns to using a tiny army again. Minotaurs are shock troops who lack the durability to carry a battle by themselves.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

TipsyMcStagger posted:

I can still load mine..

I don't like this orc campaign.. find myself using auto-resolve quite often. Took over the entire SE corner of the map, on my way to destroying Border Princes and Estalia stuff and Chaos invasion shows up at the southern tip of the badlands.. 4 full stacks and Now i'm wondering how I'm going to move my stacks up north down south in time.

Yeah, the Bjornlings were a nasty surprise on my first Greenskin campaign. All of my armies were up north raising hell because no one ever came down south, so when they showed up I had to raise an army from scratch to deal with them. This was also my first campaign period, so I hadn't drilled fortifying every settlement into my head yet either.

Greenskins are kind of a bummer early on if you don't like autoresolve, since that's the most overwhelmingly efficient method of dealing with Dwarfs and sieges. Orcs are kind of based around pressing their numbers advantage and autoresolve is like the purest distillation of that.

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
never got into multi-player, is there a general meta game that allows for competitive matches or is it unbalanced. What I guess I'm asking is do you need house rules to have fun? I have a feeling you will always see those 2-3 op combos always carrying the fight and making it frustrating and not worth the time.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

RestRoomLiterature- posted:

never got into multi-player, is there a general meta game that allows for competitive matches or is it unbalanced. What I guess I'm asking is do you need house rules to have fun? I have a feeling you will always see those 2-3 op combos always carrying the fight and making it frustrating and not worth the time.

It's real lazy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it's somewhat unbalanced, but not so much so that 2-3 op combos dominate, and things tend to get nerfed if they're outright broken.

I've had fun with multiplayer.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
You do see the go-to gimmicks a lot, but I have fun. I'd say about half my matches have been against people bringing reasonably diverse compositions and not spamming things. You can see what your opponent is bringing before the match starts so there's no reason to have an all-comers build, instead you have a build to face every faction. The drones flocking to the popular gimmicks are just endless free wins if you know what's coming.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

RestRoomLiterature- posted:

Feature wise multiplayer is pretty bare bones - there is a quick match function and a one leaderboard for wins. Many people lament the lack of a progression style system which they had in previous games, however I prefer not having to unlock unit/abilities so losing that stuff is an improvement in my view.

Army composition is like the wild west due to how varied the units (flying ect) compared to previous total war games. You may get three games in a row with normal infantry style loadouts then play someone who brings 19 gyrocopters and tries to hide their lord in a forest. Sometimes you crush the gimmick armies and sometimes you are doomed, playing some pre battle guesswork to what you expect to see and countering that has a major role.

Generally you can anticipate the current flavor of the month builds and crush them. For example right now I'm seeing the majority of Empire players bring a bunch of amber wizards and try and summon up extra units, so I go bretonnians vs Empire now for their strong air game.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Guderian here.
Thoughts:

I think I get dazzled by high stats and punchy units so my armies tended to reflect that.

As Empire, besides taking more men, I should have junked 3 of those cannons for a steam tank given I was facing VC. Maybe drop one of the Demigryph units as well--in every Total War game I pick 2 cavalry for a symmetrical line of battle, but Demigryphs are so tough and expensive that I think I could have better used that money on either more numerous cavalry or more men.

For the second battle, I very nearly took 4 ironbreakers instead of 2 ironbreakers and 4 longbeards or whatever it was but changed it at the last second--sudden outbreak of common sense, perhaps. Fantastic match, Runesmiths are worth every penny. The patch to allow character equipment in MP lets Runesmiths take 3 additional, always-on runes that in total provide give a 45m aura of +12 leadership +8 melee attack and +20% missile resistance, so add that to periodic auras of +15 armor and +44% damage resist plus the constant minor AP boost. The Rune of Wrath and Ruin came in really handy too, pushed a few of his units over the edge into fleeing.

Third battle marked the end of my minotaur infatuation. Still fun to use but not the cloven armageddon I was used to having--I'm 250 turns deep into the mini campaign and wanted to throw bulls at an actual opponent. Among other things, I underestimated quite how much better campaign Gorebulls are due to the army boost skills they get. Well fought.

I should also note that I took a Lore of Beasts wizard both chances (1 and 3) I could, largely because of the manticore he can spawn. I got it both times and it was helpful but didn't swing the game, pretty well balanced I think. Maybe even a bit less valuable than the overcasted AoEs the Beast lore gets, especially the second one with the speed boost and % damage reduction.

Finally, for anyone curious about multiplayer, I have now played 6 multiplayer TWWH matches in my life, half in this tournament and half in Yukitsu's. Before that I played once or twice in other TW games. Don't be intimidated or worry about meta strategies, I decided to try this for fun and have had a great time. I lost all first 3 games against Chomp but learned a lot and still had fun in 2 of those 3 (I can't pretend that my Dwarfs vs his Empire was a fun match, though it was certainly instructive), and had a great 3 this go around.

rockopete fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 14, 2016

• Locked thread