Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Impressive write up on the beeb too:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-37020906

quote:

The Beijing News pointed out that the model used in the latest test run was the same one as six years ago, suggesting the project has made no real technical progress since then. And the model is far from finished as workers were still working on parts of the bus just before the test.

Funded by an illegal ponzi scheme,

quote:

The Beijing News has reported that Huaying Kailai, a once blacklisted firm now the main investor in Batie, has been selling investment packages hailing government support for the vehicle.

nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

metro transit is finally rolling out the improved signs at transit stops outside of the pilot areas. i was reminded of how big of a nerd i am when i saw one near my house and was just so excited!!! they're going from hot garbage to hot sexiness:

(click for the new sign full-size)

imo the improvement is like moses bringing down the tablets down from the mountain. seriously. i probably take transit a lot more than most car-havers around here, but i almost always use a smartphone mapping service. with these signs i might actually memorize more than two or three routes. and the improvement for people who don't ride very often (or at all) is even better

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 11, 2016

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

why did they make it uglier

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

you mean removing the cute/colorful bus logo? the obvious thing (and probably the actual reason) was to make the "brand" more streamlined and consistent. their brand identity is basically the T logo and the blue/yellow colors, so emphasizing this across all encounters with their services makes sense. the colors are emphasized on all their vehicles (i think) and looking at their site it's all blue and yellow as well

the more shadowy, probably not real but you never know reason, is that perhaps they were attempting to de-emphasize the bus iconography and buses generally. we all know white americans equate buses with the poor, the disabled, and the brown. so it makes sense to take the bus icon (which still exists in the new sign) and subordinate it to the larger brand of T/blue/yellow. because ya den, i recognize dem colors from when ve took da train down ta da twins dat time

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

am I missing something or is the goal to make the sign actually useful instead of "bus stops here and goes somewhere but you'd better have a map" because none of you are discussing that

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
going to meet a friend way out in the burbs and it was nice that I can take a bike share to the train, to an express bus. you better believe he's driving me back to the train station tho

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

ctrains: not moving

quote:

equipment problem on the tracks between Daly City and Balboa Park Stations.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

minivanmegafun posted:

am I missing something or is the goal to make the sign actually useful instead of "bus stops here and goes somewhere but you'd better have a map" because none of you are discussing that

yeah, the previous signs were garbage, their only use was to denote the general area in which some bus, at some time, might stop. even at stops where there is a shelter with printouts saying what lines stop there and at what times, those printouts don't have any kind of explanation of the route other than its number and the couple of landmark words that that line's vehicles flash on their exterior LCD displays

imo these are kind of just bringing up the usefulness of public transit signage to the level that signage for other modes of transport in the area already has. we have lots of useful signage for driving, walking, and biking already: things like signs saying to turn here to get to a certain highway, or a sign pointing out that this random huge staircase next to a street makes its way down to the greenway underneath

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

cta bus stop signs are super useful and have been as far back as I can recall

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
'super useful'

Metrication fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Aug 13, 2016

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

yes we have most of that poo poo in Chicago too, including kiosks that will audibly read out bus arrival times if you press a button that chirps periodically so you can find it if you're vision impaired

what I find weird is going to another city that uses a text-to-speech system for stop announcements. here in Chicago we hear this dude's voice every day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c7NGPD9ViE

minivanmegafun fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 13, 2016

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

the transit voiceover person here is a lady. they're rolling out her dulcet tones to bus lines now, she used to just be on trains. the Spanish voiceover on the trains is also a lady

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the new york commuter trains don't use any text-to-speech, they actually recorded a dude narrating all the possible messages. he is an old-time radio announcer, the kinda guy who tries to sell you furniture or a used car or something

this is extremely grating after the second or third time you hear it

at least text-to-speech is bound by a neutral tone

edit: and to make it even worse, not even the poor idiots who ride bus/subway can escape the terror of the commuter rail narrator. the deafening station announcements are done by the same guy. AND NOW FOR AN IMPORTANT MESSAGE FROM THE NEW YORK EMM TEE AAA. PROTECT YOURSELF: SUCK DICKS IN A BATHROOM. KILL YOUR CHILDREN, THEN YOURSELF.

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Aug 13, 2016

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

The HK MTR has announcements in Cantonese, English and Mandarin, the first two are recordings from the same lady the latter is a different person using the Mandarin Opera tone that is common for official address and it is just weird.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i legit do not know if the mbta voice is human or machine

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i wouldn't be too surprised if its like something produced by recording some guy say every phoneme and then they get stitched into words and sentences

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Human, they had to edit the hynes announcement when slash ICA moved so now it sounds like a sentence being cut off in the middle

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i guess the voice lady here is a fan of snoop?

https://www.facebook.com/PioneerPress/videos/10155338339725405/

:pwn:

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I think she's the lady who does the one announcement that Lee Crooks doesn't do

that being "An (Inbound/Outbound) train - (to/from) the Loop - will be arriving shortly." at Pink and Orange line stations

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the new york commuter trains don't use any text-to-speech, they actually recorded a dude narrating all the possible messages. he is an old-time radio announcer, the kinda guy who tries to sell you furniture or a used car or something

this is extremely grating after the second or third time you hear it

edit: and to make it even worse, not even the poor idiots who ride bus/subway can escape the terror of the commuter rail narrator. the deafening station announcements are done by the same guy. AND NOW FOR AN IMPORTANT MESSAGE FROM THE NEW YORK EMM TEE AAA. PROTECT YOURSELF: SUCK DICKS IN A BATHROOM. KILL YOUR CHILDREN, THEN YOURSELF.

PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING DOORS is just upbeat enough to make me irrationally angry after like half an hour of it

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i loved hearing the parisian train lady recordings tho since they pronounce all the station names frenchwise, including the american-named places like washington and roosevelt stations

i would make sweet sweet love to the french train lady

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bloody posted:

i legit do not know if the mbta voice is human or machine

I think it's a person

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

metro announcements are all said live by the operator and range from low-pitched grumbling that's not actually useful to upbeat, cheerful operators you get annoyed with after two stops. except for the new trains that are text to speech. buses don't have anything at all

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

text to speech is bad on public transportation

the lovely train system in washington dulles airport both has an almost inaudible text to speech announcement system and very poor signage with no lcd or led signs that can change to let you know what the gently caress is at each stop

i see people getting really every time i fly out of there

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
san diego mts has a TTS stop announcer that sounds like ulillillia

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Silver Alicorn posted:

next stop: *rapidly vacillating 20-bit signed float*

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

mishaq posted:

Did you use speech to text for this post?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Silver Alicorn posted:

i need this for our phone TTS.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

mishaq posted:

text to speech is bad on public transportation

the lovely train system in washington dulles airport both has an almost inaudible text to speech announcement system and very poor signage with no lcd or led signs that can change to let you know what the gently caress is at each stop

the ttc started using some text to speech for general announcements and it's *way* more intelligible than the old system coming from the controllers. the latter have got better with some upgrades.

though it has trouble with some of the station names, like saying 'dundas' as 'dundiss' instead of 'dun-dass'

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
TTS systems are pretty good these days and by TTS systems I mean Nuance which is the only thing anyone uses. its cool cause you can give it pronunciation hints for things like that.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

The Merkinman posted:

Did you use speech to text for this post?

phone posting

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shaggar posted:

TTS systems are pretty good these days and by TTS systems I mean Nuance which is the only thing anyone uses. its cool cause you can give it pronunciation hints for things like that.

one of the ones out in the suburbs here literally says "doctor" whenever a street has the "dr." abbreviation for drive in the name. it's hilarious, and it's been like that for two years at least.

i didn't even know it was possible to do that

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

google maps tts still garbage. interstate 35 goes through this area and it splits into E and W forks, one going through each of the twin cities. everyone here pronounces them as "thirty five eee" and "thirty five double you" but the google lady calls them east and west. bonus is that it's a north-south road so she says like "take the ramp onto highway thirty five west north" :pseudo:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

actually that's all correct behavior you idiots just name and call things wrong sry

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

oh man did i really just get somebody to :spergin: out in the transit thread without mentioning trains

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Bloody posted:

actually that's all correct behavior you idiots just name and call things wrong sry

what three streets in Chicago rhyme with "vagina"?

Paulina, Malvina, and Lunt.   

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

infernal machines posted:

one of the ones out in the suburbs here literally says "doctor" whenever a street has the "dr." abbreviation for drive in the name. it's hilarious, and it's been like that for two years at least.

i didn't even know it was possible to do that

i once tried using a garmin in france and it pronounced 'de' as 'delaware'

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

buena vista, virginia, is pronounced byoo-na vista. monticello, minnesota, is pronounced mahn-tih-sell-oh. the word "gross", as in "your posting is gross", is pronounced by some upper midwest teenage girls as "grohw-wehss-ah". the universe is imperfect and you will never correct the """wrongness""" of minor """errors""" in any significant fraction of humans

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

getting mad over w being pronounced west in a context where w means west is kind of weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

i35 doesn't go through a single state that matters so

• Locked thread