Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm halfway tempted to suggest that you halfass the worst possible LP of the game, like, a recording of a Twitch stream of you playing it while drunkenly rambling at your wife. But the game's long enough that that'd still be way too much effort for the joke.

Maybe you can get ddegenha to add a note on his LP on the archives that says "I'm Chokes McGee, and I approve this LP".

Meh, I tried something like that, and it doesn't really work out: I had to keep explaining to my dead drunk brother what an RTS is every three minutes, and why units couldn't cross the ocean without boats, and why the mission wouldn't end even after I killed everything. If the person playing was drunken like that, they would never get through the game. *ANY* game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I can kinda sorta understand why he wouldn't want to do FFL3. I mean, the first two tried to kill him multiple times via LP Curse.

Which just makes me want the third one all the more. I wanna see him post a pic of like, a meteor hitting his house or something. It does absolutely no damage to anything else in the house except the spot right above his gaming chair/desk/whatever setup he has for LPing.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Derek Barona posted:

I can kinda sorta understand why he wouldn't want to do FFL3. I mean, the first two tried to kill him multiple times via LP Curse.

Which just makes me want the third one all the more. I wanna see him post a pic of like, a meteor hitting his house or something. It does absolutely no damage to anything else in the house except the spot right above his gaming chair/desk/whatever setup he has for LPing.

Thanks guys. That's... that's heartening. :eng99:

But no, I've said all I want to say about FFL story-wise. FFL3 is a good game, but it's not SaGa. (Y'all.)

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Chokes McGee posted:

Thanks guys. That's... that's heartening. :eng99:

Hey, what're friends for? Especially on the Internet. And Something Awful.

Okay, really, you do it to yourself by continuing to hang out here.

Chokes McGee posted:

But no, I've said all I want to say about FFL story-wise. FFL3 is a good game, but it's not SaGa. (Y'all.)

I mean, you could always not make it a direct continuation of 1 and 2. FFL3's story has enough things you can mock without having to drop the Lady Of The Saw in as a plot point.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Derek Barona posted:

I mean, you could always not make it a direct continuation of 1 and 2. FFL3's story has enough things you can mock without having to drop the Lady Of The Saw in as a plot point.

Ehh, it's really not surprising that he's not interested in it. FFL3's story is a lot more fleshed-out than the previous games were (let alone Wizardry). The more writing the game has, the less freedom the LPer has to craft their own narrative around it, which is kind of Chokes' shtick.

Anyway, I think we've kind of beat this topic into the ground. Sorry I resurrected an unpleasant topic.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

David Bowie probably wouldn't stop once you've arrived, if you know what i'm sayin.

Avatar/Post combo of the year so far.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Hey, thread. I know I haven't checked in for a while, but here's what's up.

My novel's reached the post-production phase and I'm currently reader-testing it. My plan is to release it around the middle of the next month. In the meantime, I'm putting this thread on hiatus. Getting this stupid thing finished has very nearly driven me mad, and for my OCD's sake, I need to take time off from writing. I have every intention of finishing this thread, though! So far I've done four and I've finished all of them, I don't really want to abandon one now. I'll probably wander in and bump occasionally to keep it from going to archives, but otherwise, expect radio silence for a while longer.

Thanks for your patience. We'll resume with your regularly scheduled LP in a little while.

Calamitous_Justice
Feb 21, 2011
You're going to tell us the title so we can all buy it, right?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Calamitous_Justice posted:

You're going to tell us the title so we can all buy it, right?

You're goddamn right I am. You guys got in on the ground floor. :colbert:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

coming to a store near you

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

10/10, would read.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
So, I seem to recall a couple folks in here having some problems with Running Slash types, and I feel your pain, those fuckers hit like trucks. Now that we've got no recruitment left (I think?), I think I'm safe to share a little secret with the lot of you. See, like a goofball, I was lured by the game's promises of the Goblin picking locks, and that didn't really happen. So I was left with an incredibly weak party member for much of the game. But then! Then. Then something magical happened, fairly deep into the second half.

The Goblin started learning AoE status effect skills (specifically, an AoE blind), which seemed to have crazy high infliction rates. And if there's one thing about the Goblin, it's that the little bastard is fast enough to always go first. And as Chokes has proven, not being hit is a great way to avoid getting your poo poo pushed in even by incredibly threatening enemies - and so it was! The Running Slash encounters went from 'I am almost certainly going to die' to 'hahahahaha get clowned on you bastards,' and the Goblin did not leave my party save for boss fights for the rest of the game. I tell you true, it was a thing of true beauty to see the Goblin go from dead weight to literally the only indispensable member of the team. I felt vindicated for dragging the little green slacker through eight blocks of pain first.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
I'm pretty sure having a Goblin in your party does in fact let you bypass a couple of the "find key for door" puzzles, but, like, you can just do the puzzles instead, they're not that hard.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Thuryl posted:

I'm pretty sure having a Goblin in your party does in fact let you bypass a couple of the "find key for door" puzzles, but, like, you can just do the puzzles instead, they're not that hard.

Those are RNG based I believe, and the Minotaur has at least one thing like that as well. Not so sure about the others.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

citybeatnik posted:

Those are RNG based I believe, and the Minotaur has at least one thing like that as well. Not so sure about the others.

Of course, you can save scum if you so desire.

There is one thing that the Goblin can let you do that normally you could not do, or I should say you can do as well but not all the way.

The goblin does bring some pretty good CC though. Especially at higher levels. I'm not talking about the blind ability either. I'm not a fan of blind since it doesn't help that much on the higher difficulties.

mauman fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Aug 7, 2016

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
So this thread inspired me to start again on Hard, and it's surprisingly not THAT much of a step up from Normal as of block 2-3. There's more wearing down of defense, and I'm finding the Werewolf's ability to keep ATATATATATA going via Hurricane Claw (1 cooldown 1 energy cost all-target attack, albeit with miss chance) invaluable, since it lets me keep the weardown going even as I burst down single targets of threat.

Gilex, on the other hand, was loving terrifying, probably because I opted to take the crazy person party of Sorc/Shadow/Ghost/Cultist into it, which means that 3/4 of my party was uncomfortably squishy against a man whose entire gimmick is chopping. That said, the Ghost's ability to blind and burn and the Shadow's ability to blast 80-damage shots through his defense made them worthwhile inclusions. Paired that with the dots from Scorch and Poison from the fixed staff drop on the Sorcerer as my damage source, and used the Cultist to frantically buff up party defense between Wide Chops. I won, but a couple more turns of that and I probably would have died. I'm looking forward to my horror stories of Myles, though.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

vdate posted:

So this thread inspired me to start again on Hard, and it's surprisingly not THAT much of a step up from Normal as of block 2-3. There's more wearing down of defense, and I'm finding the Werewolf's ability to keep ATATATATATA going via Hurricane Claw (1 cooldown 1 energy cost all-target attack, albeit with miss chance) invaluable, since it lets me keep the weardown going even as I burst down single targets of threat.

Gilex, on the other hand, was loving terrifying, probably because I opted to take the crazy person party of Sorc/Shadow/Ghost/Cultist into it, which means that 3/4 of my party was uncomfortably squishy against a man whose entire gimmick is chopping. That said, the Ghost's ability to blind and burn and the Shadow's ability to blast 80-damage shots through his defense made them worthwhile inclusions. Paired that with the dots from Scorch and Poison from the fixed staff drop on the Sorcerer as my damage source, and used the Cultist to frantically buff up party defense between Wide Chops. I won, but a couple more turns of that and I probably would have died. I'm looking forward to my horror stories of Myles, though.

Any chance you have a Skeleton on your bench? Skeleton is basically a giant "gently caress you" to Myles.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I took the Abomination as my last summon instead. :shobon: It all worked out anyway, though; if I recall correctly I went for the most boring plan imaginable - take team MAXIMUM TURTLE (sorc/abom/cultist/vamp) into the fight, frantically restore defense/heal until I can stick enough DoTs to poison/burn Myles to death, then relax and plink the Illusions down.

Oddly, while the next block was about as difficult, even playing on Hard things have gotten a LOT less grindy from block 5 onwards, and just straight easier a few floors on from that. In part I think it's because that's where the loot tables for chests just flip the gently caress out - I started getting some truly crazy poo poo from the loot containers in the Monk Fiesta level. Having multiple party members who can bust out 300 HP /125 def bombs on the first turn also helps a great deal, though. Unfortunately, as a consequence there are fewer situations where I have to use the hard supports (Ghost, Cultist) anymore, and even the Shadow is seeing less use now. Then again my giant burstbombs are weapon-based thanks to two lucky drops (bless you, monks - blonks). If I don't find anything better in the next few blocks that might change real fast.

Out of curiosity, Chokes; did you have a rough character concept in mind for the characters who didn't get voted for?(Cultist, Werewolf, Troll, Goblin, Shadow, Imp, if I recall correctly)

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I definitely feel the game is best played on Hard. It makes the start a bit rougher but that's not so bad aside from Gilex, and it makes the second half of the game less of a cakewalk than on normal.

I don't think I've seen anyone mentioned the Imp, who is pretty much just straight up the best character for a long time since he starts with a party hitting Sleep spell. It works on 90% of enemies and even some bosses (including Myles). And even later on when that becomes less useful his natural damage reduction is sky high (plus I think he absorbs fire or something because I notice later on a lot of enemy attacks straight up healed him) and he gets some really cool utility spells.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
(Note: This post mod approved)

Hi guys! I'm back from holiday! My intention is to get back to posting updates here this week. I've been absent, though, because I've been working on publishing...

So here's the deal. You guys are my established audience, so I want you to have first crack at this thing. It's already published on Amazon, so click the image and buy it right this instant do it DO IT BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE

Okay fine, here's a blurb :rolleyes:

quote:

Astin Fell lives the life of a struggling barista until he inexplicably sprouts wings and horns. Now he's the last servant of an unknown power, conscripted to fight the Taint---a horrific evil devouring the world one tiny piece at a time.

He'll have help: Nemesis, the shotgun-toting Goddess of Vengeance; Claudia Fischer, a woman with three different souls bonded inside of her; his nightmarish vampyre ex-girlfriend; and his telepathic house cat. But if Astin and his friends can't unravel the vast conspiracy lurking in the city's shadows, the Taint will consume everyone and everything in it... and there'll be nothing left to stop its spread.

While approved, I'm pushing right up against the edge of the rules, so let's all remember this is the Let's Play Paper Sorceror thread and not the "Chokes McGee Presents Chokes McGee's Tainted by Chokes McGee." A page or two of "hay this is neat" is okay but I'm going to get an update out pretty soon and I expect you to all go back to talking about the game. Okay? Okay!

Other than that have at it, and please leave a review if you like it! That kind of thing is solid gold for self published authors so it's infinitely appreciated it. If you don't like it then never to talk me again you jerk!!

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 14, 2016

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Chokes McGee posted:

In which three women and a house cat cleanse a taint on the request of a devil man.

The Erotica section's getting more and more specific these days.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Chokes McGee posted:

While approved, I'm pushing right up against the edge of the rules, so let's all remember this is the Let's Play Paper Sorceror thread and not the "Chokes McGee Presents Chokes McGee's Tainted by Chokes McGee." A page or two of "hay this is neat" is okay but I'm going to get an update out pretty soon and I expect you to all go back to talking about the game. Okay? Okay!

Other than that have at it, and please leave a review if you like it! That kind of thing is solid gold for self published authors so it's infinitely appreciated it. If you don't like it then never to talk me again you jerk!!

What if we plug your LP in the reviews? :iamafag:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

quote:

Astin Fell lives the life of a struggling barista until he inexplicably sprouts wings and horns. Now he's the last servant of an unknown power, conscripted to fight the Taint---a horrific evil devouring the world one tiny piece at a time.

He'll have help: Nemesis, the shotgun-toting Goddess of Vengeance; Claudia Fischer, a woman with three different souls bonded inside of her; his nightmarish vampyre ex-girlfriend; and his telepathic house cat. But if Astin and his friends can't unravel the vast conspiracy lurking in the city's shadows, the Taint will consume everyone and everything in it... and there'll be nothing left to stop its spread.

Okay, so: mutant protag, human or mutant ("goddess") with a specialization in ranged weapons; magic-oriented human (seriously? Humans suck at magic!); mutant/monster ex depending on interpretation, and monster. Aside from the fact that you have too many party members, where's the robot?

(Purchased, and good luck with the self-publishing thing!)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

where's the robot?

SHUT UP YOU'LL SPOIL THE ENDING

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Foolish Amazon! Once again, your kindle system plays right into my hands!

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

FisheyStix posted:

Foolish Amazon! Once again, your kindle system plays right into my hands!

And a woman with a bow strapped to her back building a fire just looks at the Sorcerer like he's a lunatic.

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009

It's not available in my country... :ohdear:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

placid saviour posted:

It's not available in my country... :ohdear:

The heck do you live, Slokovainsia? :stare:

It just dropped yesterday so it's probably still getting approved for EU and UK markets. If it's not there in a day or two, though, please let me know. That's an issue.

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~
I'm...yeah, I'm just a grump.

Chokes McGee posted:

It just dropped yesterday so it's probably still getting approved for EU and UK markets. If it's not there in a day or two, though, please let me know. That's an issue.

What about Canada, good sir? :)

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

UmbreonMessiah posted:

Now you're just making up countries.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Well, I had bought a copy to read on my Kindle, and was planning to get through it today, but someone broke into my house this morning and stole a bunch of my poo poo, including my Kindle.

What I'm saying is that the LP Curse has spread, Chokes.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

UmbreonMessiah posted:

What about it? :colbert:

It's available on amazon.ca so there you go!

RickVoid posted:

Well, I had bought a copy to read on my Kindle, and was planning to get through it today, but someone broke into my house this morning and stole a bunch of my poo poo, including my Kindle.

I'm actually a Consumed that got to Chokes and is spreading the Taint via this book.

Sorry everyone. Sorry.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

RickVoid posted:

While this doesn't mitigate the loss of the stuff, you can just download the kindle application and read it that way.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Thread status: Not dead

Update status: Tomorrow night

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

:aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa:

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer
Long time reader, first time poster.

Bought the book. Loved the book. Looking forward to more books. Also looking forward to more LP.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Hattie Masters posted:

Long time reader, first time poster.

Bought the book. Loved the book. Looking forward to more books. Also looking forward to more LP.

Be sure to leave an Amazon review, if I get up to six a whole new world of marketing opens up to me. :kiddo:

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

Chokes McGee posted:

Be sure to leave an Amazon review, if I get up to six a whole new world of marketing opens up to me. :kiddo:

I will, but since I'm a filthy Brit I'm not sure if it'll help? Will do it anyway.

Edit: Aaaaaand done!

Hattie Masters fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
I contain all the hype! Or a goodly portion thereof. :allears:

• Locked thread